Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

Towers are cool too they're like inverse dungeons

Tower of Spirits from Spirit Tracks was cool.

i liked spirit tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

this is cool to me. my big sticking point is that i like visual landmarks a lot, which i figured was at odds with dungeons.

theres some epic dungeons out there. i know all i talk about in the bloodborne thread is gameplay but i really really like the visual design of games more than anything else, i just rarely talk about it because its a personal thing.

in breath of fire dragon quarter, you start off a mile below ground which is where everybody lives, and you have to struggle upwards in order to reach the surface. the whole game takes place underground, its one of my favourite settings for a game ever. another example a cool dungeon would be digital devil saga, which has u climbing this tower with architecture sort of like those massive ancient indian wells with 100 flights of stairs everywhere (see here https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/ChandBaori.jpg) and you go inside and outside of the tower as you climb. massive final dungeons in gaming, with loads of boss fights as u descend or ascend, thats ambrosia to me haha.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Nocturne & DDS have some of the best dungeons in gaming. Amala Temple is stunning when you first see it, and the Nihilo Base, etc. Pretty much every setting in the game is badass (except the underground train sections). DDS is entirely based on Indian mythology and so is the architecture:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

When the attack finally happened I thought I was losing my mind because I saw the vase just start slowly gliding towards me and before I could react I had been back stabbed and then blown up by a fire spell

The bloodborne version of this was even sweeter.

Speaking of bloodborne I was in a dungeon today riging my little bell and I was reminded how great the sound design is. When you get summoned to another world that loud "schwoooooop" sound as the screen goes black really makes you feel like you're being whisked off to another place

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Nocturne & DDS have some of the best dungeons in gaming. Amala Temple is stunning when you first see it, and the Nihilo Base, etc. Pretty much every setting in the game is badass (except the underground train sections). DDS is entirely based on Indian mythology and so is the architecture:

The megadungeon in Nocturne is my favorite RPG dungeon ever. I love the dungeons in DDS as well, especially the final one in both games. When a dungeon makes me get out a notepad it's great imo.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

are these on psn? that environment art is gorgeous

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Action Tortoise posted:

are these on psn? that environment art is gorgeous
Nocturne and the DDS games are available as PS2 Classics on PS3 but not PS4 yet

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

All 3 games are 10 bucks. 30 dollars for the best jrpgs of all time.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Dungeons feel strange and unsafe, like the verses of Song 2 by Blur, and going back to town feels relieving, like the chorus of Song 2 by Blur.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I like in old rpgs like the first final fantasy when you're near the end of the dungeon and everyone has really low hp and you only have a few items left and it's really tense

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I prefer an epic tower to a dungeon, personally

Did you ever play Baroque on ps2?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

The megadungeon in Nocturne is my favorite RPG dungeon ever. I love the dungeons in DDS as well, especially the final one in both games. When a dungeon makes me get out a notepad it's great imo.

lol i drew the maps to remember the fastest path for DDS2

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ristolaz posted:

Dungeons feel strange and unsafe, like the verses of Song 2 by Blur, and going back to town feels relieving, like the chorus of Song 2 by Blur.
*While wearing a Blur t-shirt, next to a bedroom wall covered in Blur posters, replying in a Chrome window made as small as possible to show off Damon Albarn desktop wallpaper*: Agreed.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

Did you ever play Baroque on ps2?

No, but it seems cool

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i bought a copy of shining in the darkness and the original owner had drawn maps and left them in the game case

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

No, but it seems cool

I really liked it and knowing the games you like I think you would too. It's certainly strange

Dec 26, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

No, but it seems cool

its pretty cool, i liked it

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

fozzy fosbourne posted:

and when there's people who have built a society in the dungeon. it's like a post-apocalypse setting but with goblins and beholders instead of biker gangs. ultima underworld for the win

I love it.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I like when there Is an entire castle or temple inside of a larger dungeon. the first part of legacy of the wizard is good for this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i like it when there is a secret super hard dungeon hidden near the beginning of a game, that you unlock after killing the final boss or something like that, and it pushes your poo poo in

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hell I got these both on PSN I guess I should start playing them finally.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

i like it when there is a secret super hard dungeon hidden near the beginning of a game, that you unlock after killing the final boss or something like that, and it pushes your poo poo in

Same, but I like it when you can just wander in there at the beginning of the game and get wrecked. In real life if you a dumb babby and you wander into a dark alley looking for loot you gonna get owned, it makes sense to me

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Wormskull posted:

You guess correctly.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wormskull posted:

please do

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm downloading nocturne, is this a game that will be enjoyable if I only have 20-30 minutes to spend on it at a time or should I wait

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

err, should probably wait if that's the case

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

It will last you like 100 hours or more.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Wormskull posted:

I think anything sufficiently like a corridor just gives the sense of progression when you move in it. No one would care about a screensaver of a prairie but if it was a labyrinthine forest or grove or whatever they probably would, for example. Cheers.

[Goon porject] Let's Get The Epic Windows Labyrnithe !aze Screensaver Brought Back

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I gotta beat ClaDun x2 first. Should I do ff13 to get back into the JRPG mindset or just jump in. I haven't played one since Hugh 1 hour of Ni no Kuni like 3 years ago, and before that the last one I played was Wild Srms 3 like 12 years ago.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Stupid autocorrect... Hugh = uhhh...

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I like when a there is a well furnished shop in the middle of a dangerous dungeon because the unexpected and absurd makes me laugh and also it is good to lighten the load of all the treasure you have acquired from dungeon delving and purchase more essentials like potions of health and potions of mana.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

No Such Thing posted:

I like when a there is a well furnished shop in the middle of a dangerous dungeon because the unexpected and absurd makes me laugh and also it is good to lighten the load of all the treasure you have acquired from dungeon delving and purchase more essentials like potions of health and potions of mana.

Necrodancer is cool in this way because as you approach the shop you hear epic singing

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

I.N.R.I posted:

i hope they have puzzles in like persona q. some of those were pretty good, like the group date cafe where u have to rearrange the foes to make a path through.

I liked the foe puzzles a lot, but the riddles in the haunted house were not my style, and made me sad.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

@wormskull, re: game choices

It's hard to say, you can't really go wrong with any of the choices you have. If you've never played a MegaTen game then it should absolutely be one of those. And in that case, Nocturne will motherfuck your own rear end into a buffalos rear end and eat it for dinner. DDS is a more traditional jRPG, no fusion or negotiation system.. instead you get what amounts to a sphere grid system for spells and abilities.

Final thoughts: Maybe try starting a few files and see what grabs you. No sense forcing yourself to play a game. It's kind of hard to give specific advice to someone who's been out of the scene so long.

Best wishes,

-D.R.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Thank you.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Wormskull posted:

I gotta beat ClaDun x2 first. Should I do ff13 to get back into the JRPG mindset or just jump in. I haven't played one since Hugh 1 hour of Ni no Kuni like 3 years ago, and before that the last one I played was Wild Srms 3 like 12 years ago.

I wonder if Wild Arms still holds up.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like wild arms 1 2 and 3. Never played the rest

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I liked the art style and soundtrack of 3 a lot but I don't remember much else about it. I kinda got sick of some of the dungeons and stuff.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ristolaz posted: