Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

if you're in a tourist area of a larger city you will propably see them a couple of times

also they really are extremely annoying, hating them is a bit much but pretty much the only time you ever see them is when they're begging or stealing

I live in a romanian city with a pretty large gypsy population and even here theyre treated like poo poo. A lot of time i see gypsy children being forced to beg by their parents and nobody gives a poo poo. Everybody including the police just ignores them, altough the police beats them up sometimes just because they can. Ever since they were freed from slavery every single regime in romania didnt do anything to help them so all we do is complain about them and then continue being poor.
Here have some gypsy music to brighten up this thread https://youtu.be/2xf2eqlq824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
southern italians call northern italians "polentoni" because they eat polenta (grits)
northern italians return the favor by calling southern italians "terroni" because they eat terra (dirt), i.e. they're stupid poor hicks

a generation ago, terrone was a serious slur. southern italians had moved en masse to the north, to get away from agriculture and get more profitable industrial/office jobs. to northeners they were pretty much a distinct race, a race of ignorant bestial people who couldn't speak right and cooked smelly food and shat out kids who played naked in dirt and mud and would grow up to be lechers and thieves. landlords would put up signs literally saying "we don't rent to dirt-eaters"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

All discrimination is not racism. That's why crapforbrains right wingers like to say Islam isn't a race.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Christ, white people can't get along with anybody. Europe isn't even that big and they still hate each other.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Jukeboxblues posted:

Anyone not from my country is gay!!!!!!!!!!!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Attack Japan is the Goku of South Korea.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Most countries are so racially homogenous due to racism that blatant racism is uncommon.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Son of Rodney posted:

if you're in a tourist area of a larger city you will propably see them a couple of times

also they really are extremely annoying, hating them is a bit much but pretty much the only time you ever see them is when they're begging or stealing

Well let's also not forget that Gypsies still use slaves as well and actually have slave quarters in their camps. Most of the slaves are children too.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The French hate everyone who is not French.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
people from bergamo have derogatory names for people from all nearby cities. people from brescia are ciunì (swine), people from milan are cicianebbia (fog-suckers), people from lecco are bagiani (idiots). nobody calls people from bergamo anything. for what it's worth, they are stereotyped as humorless bull-headed magutti (brick-layers), a stereotype they wear with pride

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Gaunab posted:

europe should be burned to the ground

Lol, like we haven't been trying for 2000+ years. Europe is like a geopolitical herpes infection.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

In Liberia they have a bunch of jokes about dumb Irishmen, which I guess just be some weird carryover from mid-1800s America when they "repatriated" Southern slaves back to West Africa.

Like there's one story about the two Irishmen who pass by a pawpaw (papaya) tree and want to throw stones to knock one down and eat it. But they want to make sure they knock down the best one, so they borrow a ladder, climb up and paint an X on the best one, then climbed back down to throw stones at it to knock it out of the tree. So in Liberia when someone makes pointless inefficient work for themselves, it's called "acting the Irishman".

thanks this is an amusing racism

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

wiffle ball bat posted:

a lotta dogs dont like black people for some reason?

my dog loves black people

he hates tall white men with beards and hats

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

anyone from northern africa is called a moroccan and stereotyped as selling lighters and tissues at stoplights
rabbino (rabbi) is still used to mean thief, but I think it's fallen from use somewhat
romanians are stereotyped interchangeably with roma as living in trailer parks, thieves, dirty, violent, always armed
trans women are stereotyped as brazilian, due to the huge number of brazilian travesti prostitutes (italy and spain are like the european fatherland and motherland of trans prostitution and catholics). the word trans, masculine, is pretty much synonymous with "travesti prostitute from brazil"

nothing weird really. sad, but nothing surprising. moroccans and romanians are two of the largest immigrant groups, the roma thing we share with the rest of europe (except the trailer parks thing, which seems to be a uniquely italian way to ghettoize them), we used to hate albanians too (third largest immigrant group) but I think in anecdata they're conflated with romanians now

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I understand that native Hawaiians really hate Micronesians. The Federated States of Micronesia are dirt poor and are still suffering the effects of the U.S. nuclear tests, so Micronesians tend to go on welfare when they move to the U.S.-owned Pacific islands (which they can do without a visa, thanks to the Compact of Free Association). A lot of people see them as a drain on society, much like with the Roma in Europe or African-Americans in the U.S. There's some anti-white sentiment, too ("haole" is the Hawaiian equivalent of "cracker" or "honky"), but the Micronesians easily get the worst of it.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 11, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

katlington posted:

lighter >>> darker everywhere
Not strictly true, Malaysians have laws that attempt to keep the Chinese out of work and education in favour of the majority Malay population.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

there's still a surprising amount of antisemites! but it's a niche prejudice nowadays, i.e. not "common sense" like "gypsies are dirty and they steal" that would get approving nods in polite company, but restricted to certain social circles

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

On like the first week of study abroad in Argentina, my host mother told me all about the illegal Paraguayan immigrants that are ruining Argentina

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Jesus Christ, white people can't get along with anybody. Europe isn't even that big and they still hate each other.

Every color of people can't get along with anybody. Ever heard of ISIS? Or the genocide of the Tsutsi? Or imperial Japan? It's human nature.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

hackbunny posted:

nothing weird really. sad, but nothing surprising. moroccans and romanians are two of the largest immigrant groups, the roma thing we share with the rest of europe (except the trailer parks thing, which seems to be a uniquely italian way to ghettoize them)
Nope that is true of the UK as well, where this is also both resented due to them I dunno taking up trailer space or something??? and leads to fears that They're Going To Take All Our Council Houses when their trailer park settlements are periodically cleared by local authorities who get sent poisonous letters about Those Bastard Gypsies Down The Road.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fat Lowtax posted:

On like the first week of study abroad in Argentina, my host mother told me all about the illegal Paraguayan immigrants that are ruining Argentina
Argentinians are regarded as past-it snobs by everyone else in Latin America.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

jBrereton posted:

Sure, but at least they're not ruining Argentina.

Oh.

COLT .45
Feb 22, 2008

It works EVERY time.
For my money nothing beats the following:

1) Asking anyone from any Balkan nation about any other Balkan nation. Bonus points if you mention Romany or Turks.

2) Greeks vs. Turks - It's a fact, 60% of all YouTube comments consists of Greeks and Turks talking poo poo about each others' lack of military prowess, casting aspersions about the other nation's sexuality and questioning their right to exist. This is made more absurd when you consider that in many ways, they're the same drat people.

3) India vs. Pakistan - This accounts for the other 40%.

4) Hungary and Romania have a history of wacky hijinks with each other.

COLT .45
Feb 22, 2008

It works EVERY time.

jBrereton posted:

You're not wrong. You can probably lump Uruguayans into this too, they have a similar dialect to Porteños (along with basic cultural similarity) as well which aids in this. My girlfriend's half-Uruguayan and every time we go to Mexico when she speaks locals give us this look... It's actually easier to come across as dumb-if-polite Americans for the most part.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

hackbunny posted:

southern italians call northern italians "polentoni" because they eat polenta (grits)
northern italians return the favor by calling southern italians "terroni" because they eat terra (dirt), i.e. they're stupid poor hicks

a generation ago, terrone was a serious slur. southern italians had moved en masse to the north, to get away from agriculture and get more profitable industrial/office jobs. to northeners they were pretty much a distinct race, a race of ignorant bestial people who couldn't speak right and cooked smelly food and shat out kids who played naked in dirt and mud and would grow up to be lechers and thieves. landlords would put up signs literally saying "we don't rent to dirt-eaters"

so italy is basically america?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

this thread is legit interesting, thanks for the perspective international goons

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Europeans really hate gypsies because pick-pocketing is important to their culture or something. But I don't think they actually call them gypsies, and they act all indignant when you do despite wanting them all sent back to Romania.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Haier posted:

Cis white males are the only people who can be racist, and also cannot have racism directed at them.

What a boring world you live in. I for one embrace multiculturalism where everyone can be racist.

spacemang_spliff posted:

so italy is basically america?

Yea but 150 years ago. Currently Italy is a third-world country.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
In the US, everyone hates everyone else.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
- I met a girl from like the Central African Republic (I think, it was a long time ago), and she was telling me about how great Africa is, how it's full of hope, how it actually has a future because it's one of the most tolerant and friendly continent on earth and so on. Then 2 minutes later she tells me never to trust one of those piece of poo poo Nigerians, they are all lazy thieves and generally terrible people.

- Bretons are indeed stereotyped as drunken worthless hicks, but it's not really a baseless stereotype. They also constantly whine about wanting to be an independent nation which I fully support because that means I will have to pay less taxes to feed those morons. They routinely damage roadsigns because "abloobloobloo they are not bilingual breton/french signs" which is entirely bullshit because every loving breton speaks french and there's less than 200 000 people speaking that dumb language anyway. Also they put their retarded "a l'aise breizh" bumper stickers everywhere.

- Corsicans are also trash, for mostly the same reasons, but instead of being drunken, worthless hicks, they are drunken, worthless hicks who are all in the loving mafia and will loving bomb your house if you don't pay protection money. Likewise they constantly whine for independence, which I also fully support just so we can napalm bomb their retarded island right after. They absolutely HATE arabs though.

- That might be an extremely local stereotype, but take pretty much any negative stereotype about the american south (inbreeding, retardation, racism, poverty...) and it can be applied to the Ardennes. People from the Ardennes see people from my region as a bunch of stuck up, haughty idiots so I guess we got a lovely relationship there :v:

- Portuguese people are always working construction jobs, and are very hairy.

- Most of our stereotypes about Germans, Brits, Americans, Italians and so on are pretty much the same as those found in the anglosphere except I guess we tend to see the brits as a bunch of traitorous, back-stabbing cowards.

- You will never see a frenchman bother to learn the differences between the various Asian countries. We lost our colonies there, what's the point learning about them?

- We see the Belgians as idiots. Like, take any Pollack joke, switch the nationalities, and there you've got a good joke to tell your French friends, if you have any.

- Southern French are lazy, brash and extremely friendly, northern french are drab, depressed people looking for the sweet, sweet release of death (since I'm a goon, guess where I'm from).

Lastly, to give you an idea of how the average frenchman sees arabs, I will just tell a little joke:
"An American, an Arab and a Frenchman are in a hot air ballon. Suddenly poo poo goes wrong and it's starts to lose altitude fast so they have to lose weight otherwise they will crash. The American goes first, drops all his guns overboard and says "who cares, there's plenty more where I come from". The arab follows, tosses all his petrol overboard and says "who cares,there's plenty more where I come from". The frenchman goes last, tosses the arab overboard and says "who cares, there's plenty more where I come from"

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

wiffle ball bat posted:

a lotta dogs dont like black people for some reason?

dogs owned by white people outside of starbucks, eyah

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Nodelphi posted:

How real a thing are they? I've been to Europe a few times now and have yet to run in to what your typical euro racist describes as a gypsy. I didn't go out of my way to look though either.
I have REAL LIVE ROMA in the neighboring apartment. They're pretty much the same as anyone else but they moved in place of a really whiny couple so it's a big improvement.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
roma or romanians?

according to romanians there's a real difference and boy howdy will they let you know

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The french hate everyone who isn't french. But then again the french also hate the french.

I've literally never encountered a french-canadian who wasn't aggressively narcissistic and extremely unfriendly.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
"Roma" is gypsies and not much to do with romanians. You are supposed to call them that though nobody does and the ones that live here are all part of a big rear end family that prides itself off a) running a salvage yard b) going to catholic church c) running a complex scheme to get unqualified coupons on 35 packages of paper plates

COLT .45
Feb 22, 2008

It works EVERY time.

Powercrazy posted:

What a boring world you live in. I for one embrace multiculturalism where everyone can be racist.

Yea but 150 years ago. Currently Italy is a third-world country.

I don't want to sound like I'm going out of my way to white-knight the French here but I will forever be a bit amazed at how vehemently the stereotypical American disdains the French while the Italians somehow get a free pass.

The negative French stereotype in the US goes something like this:
Lazy, snobbish, rude, chain-smoking, cowardly, militarily incompetent tools. We don't give them credit for expert-level racism, but hey, that's something we're working on here too.

Meanwhile, let's take a look at Italy:

Guilty of all the above with arguably even more military incompetence (they couldn't even manage to nominally oppose the Third Reich goddammit!) with an added bonus of so much political corruption and economic chaos that they make the French look like the goddamn Norwegians by comparison. They managed to let Italian Donald Trump run the state into the loving ground and we still make jokes about the Frenchies instead. While we're at it, Italy is not outdone on the racism front either.

I dunno, maybe Italy has better food overall?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The french hate everyone who isn't french. But then again the french also hate the french.

I've literally never encountered a french-canadian who wasn't aggressively narcissistic and extremely unfriendly.

France is weirdly the USA's soulmate. In so, so many ways.

COLT .45 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 12, 2016

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
yeah italy gave us pizzas and meatballs so they get a pass.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

COLT .45 posted:

I don't want to sound like I'm going out of my way to white-knight the French here but I will forever be a bit amazed at how vehemently the stereotypical American disdains the French while the Italians somehow get a free pass.

Lazy, snobbish, chain-smoking, cowardly, militarily-incompetent tools. We don't give them credit for expert-level racism, but hey, that's something we're working on here too.

Guilty of all the above with arguably even more military incompetence (they couldn't even manage to nominally oppose the Third Reich goddammit!) with an added bonus of so much political corruption and economic chaos that they make the French look like the goddamn Norwegians by comparison. They managed to let Italian Donald Trump run the state into the loving ground and we still make jokes about the Frenchies instead. While we're at it, Italy is not outdone on the racism front either.

nobody jokes about italy because they're so irrelevant that nobody cares

it's kind of like "why does nobody joke about Chile?"

well..

COLT .45
Feb 22, 2008

It works EVERY time.

WitchFetish posted:

- Bretons are indeed stereotyped as drunken worthless hicks, but it's not really a baseless stereotype. They also constantly whine about wanting to be an independent nation which I fully support because that means I will have to pay less taxes to feed those morons. They routinely damage roadsigns because "abloobloobloo they are not bilingual breton/french signs" which is entirely bullshit because every loving breton speaks french and there's less than 200 000 people speaking that dumb language anyway. Also they put their retarded "a l'aise breizh" bumper stickers everywhere.

I liked how you basically just described the Welsh, and then I remembered the Bretons were more or less Welsh that went South.
Swear to god I have some relatives that still swear Owen loving Glendower is going to come back with an army of ten thousand guys named David Jones and they're going to free Wales from the shackles of the UK.

Of course this is before they realize what's left of The Welsh economy would collapse without the BBC using it as a cheap filming destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

COLT .45 posted:

Lazy, snobbish, rude, chain-smoking, cowardly, militarily incompetent tools. We don't give them credit for expert-level racism, but hey, that's something we're working on here too.

i think americans just don't really give a poo poo about italy

• Locked thread