Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Jetfire posted:

They reached out to me, so I'm in press. Though I wouldn't call where I work a "review firm," quite the opposite really :)

So you work for a review gelatin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

The Taint Reaper posted:

3d games don't require someone to check to see if the 3d building is structurally sound like a real life building. Why would someone spend money on that? :psyduck: That's not going to help realism, people who design buildings in CAD base them off of blueprints that somebody already drew up. Like that is the full extent of how 3D is used for real life buildings.

I'd put money on it being someone who studied architecture for a bit and then got into environment art for games. There's a lot of those. In an age of steel frames you've got to be a prime loving moron to make a 3d model of a building that couldn't stand up in real life.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

I'd put money on it being someone who studied architecture for a bit and then got into environment art for games. There's a lot of those. In an age of steel frames you've got to be a prime loving moron to make a 3d model of a building that couldn't stand up in real life.

Why would you put money on something that literally had a link explaining it? (http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DeannaVanBuren/20151012/254238/Architecture_in_Video_Games_Designing_for_Impact.php)

It does seem pretty unnecessary though, financially speaking. I wonder if even 1% of people playing Gone Home noticed that "the entry foyer in plan is massively out of proportion with the height and the scale of any suburban home as viewed from the outside" or that in Bioshock Infinnite, "Structures and architecture elements are made up of four or five different materials that have no relationship to one another and would not actually stand up."

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 24, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I've navigated some horribly put together spaces in video games to the point where I feel an architecture could help sometimes. Not always, but for a game like The Witness which seems to be a lot more around navigating, exploring, and noticing subtlety in places that it was probably worth it, even for quick fixes like:

http://the-witness.net/news/2014/06/road-to-e3-day-1/

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I finished Braid today for the first time. I will look into the stars tomorrow. Not sure how I feel about the story but the puzzles were great.

I am really looking forward to The Witness and want to do it 100% on my own. Not sure if that will actually happen though. I hope that everything you need to solve all the puzzles is in the game and there's no need for crowdsourcing solutions like FEZ or whatever.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
One of the stars in Braid is really boring and will involve doing something else for about two hours, which is the main reason I never bothered. Other than that I hear they're pretty clever!

Also I'd hope a game that seems to focus on isolation so much wouldn't do crowdsourced puzzles, but it's possible I guess.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
still laughing about the piss jar fyi

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Destructoid - 10/10

Gamespot - 9/10

Game Informer - 9.3/10

IGN - 10/10

Polygon - 8/10

GiantBomb Quick Look

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 25, 2016

Kofi Annan
Jan 30, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I want it now!! To this day Riven is my favourite game; even better is that it's pretty, open, and soothing nature will make it a sure fire hit with the wifey.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Everything is right in the world.

edit:
Summary of Giantbomb quicklook:
- You can run
- You can't fall down drops higher than 1-2 feet, which is sometimes annoying
- (Small mechanical spoiler) Panels can be activated and solved eve if you're a bit away from them
- Some times failing a panel will un-solve panels you've solved earlier, which is a bit frustrating
- Save game counts # of panels solved [so I assume the "the game has 667 puzzles" actually means "667 panels"]

ymgve fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 25, 2016

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

ymgve posted:

Everything is right in the world.

edit:
Summary of Giantbomb quicklook:
- You can run
- You can't fall down drops higher than 1-2 feet, which is sometimes annoying
- (Small mechanical spoiler) Panels can be activated and solved eve if you're a bit away from them
- Some times failing a panel will un-solve panels you've solved earlier, which is a bit frustrating
- Save game counts # of panels solved [so I assume the "the game has 667 puzzles" actually means "667 panels"]

So you unlock the final puzzle after completing 666 others. I am legitimately looking forward to some crypto-Enochian bullshit finale.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Game is getting great reviews all over the place, and is now the top seller on Steam. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Hmm, might check this out. Though I haven't played Myst and the comparisons got me curious. What's the best way to experience Myst? I saw there's like multiple versions of the game or so.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hmm, might check this out. Though I haven't played Myst and the comparisons got me curious. What's the best way to experience Myst? I saw there's like multiple versions of the game or so.

realMyst Masterpiece Edition is the most recent re-release, but there's some rumblings that it's not strictly superior to the original realMyst. You're mostly paying for fancier graphics and some minor improvements with the former. I'd go with either of those over the plain Myst Masterpiece Edition.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you're planing on playing the whole series it might be a bit weird going from RealMyst to Riven.

Cyan Worlds need to hurry up and do RealRiven. We have the technology now.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's a fan remake in the works with Cyan funding them.

http://www.starryexpanse.com/

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
That is extremely cool and I look forward to playing it in twenty years time.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
It's impressive that the reviews are as strong as they are. I feel like this game was a pretty big risk and could have gone the other way easily, if it wasn't done right. Looking forward to trying it out.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I made a pass updating the OP. When the game comes out tomorrow, I will probably media black out for a while so if anyone thinks something should be in it, please say so now.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I'm torn between wanting to play this game and not wanting to give this rear end in a top hat money. :sigh:

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

how me a frog posted:

I'm torn between wanting to play this game and not wanting to give this rear end in a top hat money. :sigh:

Why would you not be willing to give someone money in exchange for a product you want to play? Because he called AAA games or Xbox development practices bad or whatever? He's not Orson Scott Card, its not like your money is going to be redistributed into anti-gay causes or something. It'll likely be redistributed into whatever project he makes after.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i want the game but i'm in the middle of talos principle which is a little dry and boring and its going to take me a long time to get the will to finish

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

how me a frog posted:

Yeah, how exactly is Jonathan Blow an rear end in a top hat? Because he's 'pretentious'? He hasn't even said anything along the lines of Phil Fish's "all Japanese games are crap" or whatever it was.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

how me a frog posted:

whats wrong with Jon Blow? I'm legitimately curious, because I've listened to him on Tone Control and watched his youtube channel (where he does a bunch of live coding), and he seems like a fine dude. Waxes a little pretentious on certain topics, but yours seems like a pretty strong reaction for just that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

john blow seems fine to me his major nerd crimes are of the not realizing he was famous and talking openly on the internet variety.

he makes games that make you think real hard with great visual style so hating him seems like it does the gamer more harm than it does him.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
was it confirmed he posted a bottle of his own urine

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

he makes games that make you think real hard with great visual style so hating him seems like it does the gamer more harm than it does him.

Okay so maybe Blow is the -second- most pretentious little pratt I've ever had the misfortune of happening upon.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
honestly someone should really explain what he did that was pretentious because when gamers say that usually it means you said something like "women are people" or "worshiping nintendo mascots is weird, don't do that".

Sure there's the poo poo in braid with the stars and the books and the story but if you play the game never touching those (like I did, cuz gently caress that I want to solve puzzles) you get a full, well designed experience.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder what the star equivalent will be in the witness, or if there will be one at all?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Acne Rain posted:

honestly someone should really explain what he did that was pretentious because when gamers say that usually it means you said something like "women are people" or "worshiping nintendo mascots is weird, don't do that".
He kinda acted like he was god's gift to gaming after making one (excellent) game.

Of course that's a laughably stupid reason to not buy something that looks as good as this does.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I came in here to see reviews and loving A people have some dumb reasons for hating games.

I've been following the game blog since 2010. Planning on taking a half day tomorrow.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Johnathan Blow probly says less dumb poo poo than most of the posters on this forum and having some weird neuroses isn't out of character for passionate creatives

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Shaquin posted:

Johnathan Blow probly says less dumb poo poo than most of the posters on this forum and having some weird neuroses isn't out of character for passionate creatives

Yeah this poo poo right here. He's not a dude who makes games, he's a passionate creative.

TwitchCannon
Jul 12, 2002

It's all about versatility, honey - I'm a pitcher and a catcher.
You'll forgive me if I have more pressing concerns how pretentious Blow is. Like, wondering if The Witness is a great video game I should spend my money on, or literally any other topic.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how me a frog posted:

Yeah this poo poo right here. He's not a dude who makes games, he's a passionate creative.

sound jealous of his self funded independent studio and its latest hit game

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

sound jealous of his self funded independent studio and its latest hit game

Criticism = jealousy, page one of the pretentious playbook. Well played.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

how me a frog posted:

So to clarify, you unironically hold the position that you want to play a game but have a weird hang-up wherein you hate giving money (in exchange for a product you want) to a person, solely because that person could be described as a "passionate creative". Like, you want the product but drat it a goon's gotta have standards. Can't be giving my monies to them passionate creative types, a man's gotta have principles. That's a pretty scorching #hottake.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 26, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Acne Rain posted:

Sure there's the poo poo in braid with the stars and the books and the story but if you play the game never touching those (like I did, cuz gently caress that I want to solve puzzles) you get a full, well designed experience.

"If you just ignore the dumb stuff, then there's no dumb stuff! :downs:"

I'm personally just apathetic towards Blow. I'm apparently the one person who thought Braid was overrated and not that great, but w/r/t The Witness I'm only disinterested due to the price. I'm glad it's getting good reviews and I'll eagerly wait for the inevitable sale.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how me a frog posted:

Criticism = jealousy, page one of the pretentious playbook. Well played.

you haven't said anything about the game at all yet just the man whom you hate because of statements that you haven't produced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder what the star equivalent will be in the witness, or if there will be one at all?

One reviewer confirmed that there are "collectibles" that he didn't even realize existed until he had beaten the game and he's only managed to find a quarter of them

• Locked thread