Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Enourmo posted:

well ifi can swing an engineering internship (which are typically paid, usually around $20 an hour no less), just working over summer will earn me like $10-12k. which is why im sweating that so much, it could potentially turn my situation around with way less stress than getting a full-tim min-wage job, trying to study the same as i do now, and trying to apply for an actual big-boy job.

that's why i'm so salty over the scheduling conflicts, it an actual big loss for me if I can't get something.

So find out the recruiter's contact information, email them, explain your situation, and ask for more information. My engineering school had someone dedicated to helping students find a co-op. There are way more opportunities for co-ops than just the recruiters that come on campus.

If you school has a career services department, ask them to look over your resume. This may or may not help, they didn't change anything on my resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

So find out the recruiter's contact information, email them, explain your situation, and ask for more information. My engineering school had someone dedicated to helping students find a co-op. There are way more opportunities for co-ops than just the recruiters that come on campus.

If you school has a career services department, ask them to look over your resume. This may or may not help, they didn't change anything on my resume.

This is good advice. Also see if you can dash off between tests or whatever... I definitely wore a suit to class several times so I could make it to the job fair after.

Also, Enourmo, PM me if you're interested in internships out of state... Most places give a relocation allowance, and you can even make some $ if you drive.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MrChips posted:

Because Australia. I mean, we let them have it because they are missing so very much that makes for a normal, civilised society. They don't even have graham crackers there, for christ's sake!

Why the hell would we want that poo poo when we have Vita-Weet? Let alone Tim Tams? Basically your country is a failure if you don't have Tim Tams

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So I'm toying with the idea of getting a raspberry pi to play some old games on my TV. I see a lot of kits and poo poo, is any of that any necessary or can I just get the actual thing, an SD card, a case and a controller and run with that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

March will be a good month

Not with that attitude.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a B+, and I printed up a case for it, plugged in a generic ebay SNES controller, and am going to town with RetroPie. I took probably a night to set it up, and most of that was copying files in the right order according to whatever wiki or article how-to I googled 10 minutes prior.

Runs genesis games better than SNES or 64, but that's probably because it's a B+ (I always seem to buy the redheaded stepchild of whatever industry) and not something more powerful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

So I'm toying with the idea of getting a raspberry pi to play some old games on my TV. I see a lot of kits and poo poo, is any of that any necessary or can I just get the actual thing, an SD card, a case and a controller and run with that?

The Pi 3 just came out. Builtin Wifi and Bluetooth. Perfect for a small arcade.

I've been playing with the VoCore and the Link Smart 7688 for embedded stuff. Buil-in Wifi and WRT Linux running natively. Plenty of GPIO ports to go around.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019YM5536?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

http://www.amazon.com/VoCore-v1-0-OpenWRT-Linux-WiFi/dp/B016P77LA8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1456803065&sr=1-1&keywords=VoCore

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 1, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Darchangel posted:

Nice. Paint or dip?

Dip; actually painting the wheels would have been a colossal pain in the rear end for a result that looks about the same. I kinda hosed up the spokes since I wanted to get the lip completely coated. The pic is with 3 coats. I put on a 4th afterwards.

I'm not sure if I want to apply the glossifier product. I tagged a spare license plate I had laying around with the color coat just now so I'll use that as my color card.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles - is it as awesome as it looks? Considering driving over next weekend for something else (a scale model show) that's being held there, but wouldn't go only for the model show, so if the museum itself is worth a trip, would probably help to tip the decision in favor of going and dealing with L.A.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Sorry for a little E/N but today was a good day for my sister and brother in law. Another step in the healing process of life. This was my sisters step daughter. http://fox13now.com/2016/02/29/teen-pleads-guilty-in-2012-murder-of-annie-kasprzak/

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

Like previously stated, I'd get a Raspberry Pi 3. You should look into this:

http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Rhyno posted:

Not with that attitude.

lmao bring it im Cam Newton bitch

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Sorry for a little E/N but today was a good day for my sister and brother in law. Another step in the healing process of life. This was my sisters step daughter. http://fox13now.com/2016/02/29/teen-pleads-guilty-in-2012-murder-of-annie-kasprzak/

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Glad they finally got some closure and he finally got what's coming to him. I have no words.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I got my Moto G phone and I'm loving it so far. Are there any apps that are a must have for optimizing and protecting it? I've got CC cleaner so far, not sure what else translates well over to Android phones.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

leica posted:

So I got my Moto G phone and I'm loving it so far. Are there any apps that are a must have for optimizing and protecting it? I've got CC cleaner so far, not sure what else translates well over to Android phones.
Dump CC, you don't need to computer janitor your drat phone.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
You really don't need to computer janitor current phones.

Just don't install the facebook app, or messenger. That tends to be problematic. You can tell Chrome to provide notifications for a webpage, and just do that for facebook's mobile site.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol ok. This is my first smart phone so I have no clue.

Other than maybe a few games I just want to keep the apps that help the phone work efficiently and not take a poo poo from a virus or something.

I don't have FB either so no worries there.

[edit] Oh yeah and music, what's the best music app?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 1, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

finally finished the homework i put off all last week, maybe i wont sabotage my future after all

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

Other than maybe a few games I just want to keep the apps that help the phone work efficiently and not take a poo poo from a virus or something.

Don't browse sketchy sites, don't download a bunch of "free" poo poo. That's it.

If you want some game recommendations or cool apps that do cool things, we can recommend them to you.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

OBDII bluetooth adapter + Torque Pro. Do it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

leica posted:

Spotify, google music. You don't need apps to "help the phone work efficiently" anymore.

E: also ^^^^^ that

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ok. cool. I have all the Google poo poo already, came with the phone so I'm set for music then.

Phone posted:

Don't browse sketchy sites, don't download a bunch of "free" poo poo. That's it.

If you want some game recommendations or cool apps that do cool things, we can recommend them to you.

I'd rarely use it for browsing, but yeah good point. Are the free games cool? I won't have too many of those either.

I'm waiting for that new thumb drifting game to come out :allears:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

rndmnmbr posted:

OBDII bluetooth adapter + Torque Pro. Do it.

Do they make a KE-Jetronic Bluetooth adaptor? :ohdear:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Do they make a KE-Jetronic Bluetooth adaptor? :ohdear:

I became aware that today some guy figured out how to do an LH-Jetronic adapter using a cheapo VAGCom cable to provide (I assume) a serial adapter.

How hard can it possibly be? Also, destroy all CIS-E.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How hard can it possibly be? Also, destroy all CIS-E.

Heretic.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Enourmo posted:

finally finished the homework i put off all last week, maybe i wont sabotage my future after all

Good job dude

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

The Locator posted:

The Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles - is it as awesome as it looks? Considering driving over next weekend for something else (a scale model show) that's being held there, but wouldn't go only for the model show, so if the museum itself is worth a trip, would probably help to tip the decision in favor of going and dealing with L.A.

I last went 5 years ago, so pre remodel, and it was pretty awesome. I'm hoping to go again the next time I'm in LA since the building is supposed to be pretty great now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All k-jetronic variants need to burn in hell forever.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

You Am I posted:

drat lousy Smarch weather

I appreciate this reference. I still repeat that line every year too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well today was the first day that I was supposed to have worked for GrubHub instead of Dining In.

loving amateur hour, if you can even call it that. Restaurants not getting orders, me not getting poo poo for orders, Dining In dispatch asking me why I didn't log in to DI's system today (along with nearly 20 other drivers, apparently).... emailed the driver coordinator for the area (she works for both DI and GH now) to figure out which side is up. Talked to some other drivers who were under the impression that we're supposed to log in to both systems, another who thought we were only supposed to log in to DI, another who thought GH only...

edit: earnings finally posted, GrubHub has a guaranteed minimum hourly rate.. so at least they made up the lovely night a bit. loving :laffo: at their per mile rates though, they pay mileage as the bird flies, not on actual roads. Paid for 12 miles when I actually drove 50.

Pham Nuwen posted:

We still do, poo poo I got half my (private) college tuition paid for on an academic grant by having a 3.9 in HS, doing pretty good (1460) on the SAT, and maintaining decent grades in college. Could have had the whole thing free if I'd gone to one of the two state schools in my home state that offered me full tuition.

Edit: My school just gave me the grant, they were like "your grades and test scores were good, so you qualify for this," it wasn't like I had to write essays about Atlas Shrugged to get it (I remember that scholarship I think because it usually came up first in listings).

(Google says UT Arlington is about $9380/year in tuition and fees.)

UNT is about $7400 for in-state, assuming you don't factor in living expenses. Pretty affordable. Only about an hour away from UT Arlington too.

Between my income and GPA, I actually qualified for a full ride at UNT (tuition only). But since there's a federal cap on how many hours you can attempt in your life and still qualify for aid (even if you didn't get financial aid before :argh:), I can't get the grants anymore. :sigh: Wasn't a scholarship, it was two grants (Pell, which a lot of people can get, and one specific to UNT).

e: my GPA isn't anything special either, I think the UNT grant was available to anyone with lower income who was passing.

Elmnt80 posted:

Lol, UT Arlington is considered a joke by the people that live near there. If you want a texas school, Baylor, UT Austin, A&M and UNT are all considered to be much better schools for the tuition it would cost.

:what:

Baylor is just a bit more expensive than any of the others. Remember Baylor is a private school, not state.

ExplodingSims posted:

You know what's really fun? Dealing with energy management systems that are controlled by people in Seattle and trying to track down 15 billion sensors.
You know what's even more fun? When a brand new blower motor bursts into flames after you install in a unit that requires you to take 3/4 of it apart to replace it.

Today was not my day apparently.

Amazon fulfillment center?

Alarbus posted:

Just don't install the facebook app, or messenger. That tends to be problematic. You can tell Chrome to provide notifications for a webpage, and just do that for facebook's mobile site.

Messenger isn't that bad, but Facebook itself is a massive battery hog. Also seems to really slow the phone down, IMO.

leica posted:

If you have unlimited data, Google Play Music is pretty awesome. You can upload up to something like 20k or 25k songs to ~the cloud~ and stream them to your phone. Slacker Radio is pretty nice if you want to just pick a genre.

If you're on T-Mobile, both of those fall into their free data thing (where music doesn't count against your data use).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 1, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh hey a red WRX fired up today :D

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

leica posted:

I've been using Poweramp (30 day trial with IAP to get the full version for about $5AU). Play Music was nice but the shuffle feature gave me the shits and it was annoying having to start playing music manually when using a bluetooth headset. Poweramp has proper random playback and an option to autoplay when a bluetooth headset connects to the phone so it lets me just turn the comms unit on when I'm on the bike without having to stop and get the phone out.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I think I got TCU and baylor mixed up. :v:

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Hopefully I can get all the negative out of they early this month. So I bent a wheel on a pothole in the Jetta, that's still at the tire shop getting fixed, no biggie right? I'll just take the Crown Vic to work. drat thing just shuts off when it warms up. Took me like 45 mins to go 15 miles round trip--I never made it to work, just about 7 miles down the highway. I'm mad enough at it that I'm tempted to just buy a crate motor and slam it in, that'll fix all the issues, right? (other than the trans-that still needs to be replaced) I I buy a new drivetrain for it it's only about 5 grand.... I can't get a car that will be literally brand new mechanically for less than that can I?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Adiabatic posted:

Yes. The parking ban in my town is Nov 15-Mar 15 (no parking in street cuz maybe plows) so it's almost summer car season.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

March is already starting out better. Today I move into a new role which comes with a 25k raise and I already have my last position filled with a friend who I worked with before. Feels like old times. :)

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I'm getting around $2200 back from federal taxes (LOL THANKS NC $35 DUE) and an about $5000 post-tax bonus AT THE SAME TIME.

Question:

A) Financial responsibility? Hah. A LSD and disco potato to upgrade the FiST.
B) The FiST will never be a road course car and a DD. Buy someone's used-up race car and a trailer.
C) Uhhh, you're starting to get into middle age. Retirement is real! Contribute the entire wad to 401K "catch-up" so this year is maxed out.
D) Buy that new couch and electronics.
E) ???

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Max out your 401k since poo poo is so cheap right now and/or buy a track duty car. Both you and Wrar are on short notice for not coming out to poo poo. :colbert:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

Max out your 401k since poo poo is so cheap right now and/or buy a track duty car. Both you and Wrar are on short notice for not coming out to poo poo. :colbert:

Gonna be there this weekend OK. Send me details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

Last fall I quit SCCA and moved to NASA since NASA Mid-Atlantic actually does trackdays at VIR whereas SCCA has absolutely no HPDE presence here. I went to the season-closing event at Summit; I think the next NASA event at VIR is May? What events are you talking about?

FakeEdit: I don't really do autocross anymore. I'm too lazy to shag cones in the sun and heat for 8 minutes of seat time.

• Locked thread