Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
hey op grout much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
?whence

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I hadn't had a chance to see my sister in about a decade, and got to go home for a week near Christmas to visit with family. My sister made me tile her shower, after her husband had put the tray down and coated the drywall with that waterproof poo poo.

I don't know why she made me do it, because I had never tiled before, but it came out OK. My grout lines were poo poo, and if I had to shower in it every day I'd go mad from looking at crooked time, but free labor is free labor.

edit: it took all goddamn week, about 5 hours a day.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

criscodisco posted:

I hadn't had a chance to see my sister in about a decade, and got to go home for a week near Christmas to visit with family. My sister made me tile her shower, after her husband had put the tray down and coated the drywall with that waterproof poo poo.

I don't know why she made me do it, because I had never tiled before, but it came out OK. My grout lines were poo poo, and if I had to shower in it every day I'd go mad from looking at crooked time, but free labor is free labor.

how does your sister make you do anything

be a man

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I've never been able to say no to anyone.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

criscodisco posted:

;)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

criscodisco posted:

Buy me a new av. Make it something good

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Mange Mite posted:

Buy me a new av. Make it something good

No. Hey, I can do it!

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

just put carpet in your kitchen

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

would def take a shower in that and also gently caress your mom in that OP

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Just smoke weed instead op

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
300 including tiles? Pony up the cash. Seriously tilting is relatively easy, but it is also relatively easy to botch in many little ways that add up to ruin the result. And if you have to cut tiles properly, good luck, that is really difficult without proper tools.

Like was said before material costs are going to be up in the 200s I guess.

If you have even the slightest bit of OCD in you, you will notice your uneven tiling every time you are in your kitchen... please don't ask me about the bathroom I was tricked into helping to tile. I am just happy it isn't my own. The guy who said he has experience did a worse job than 25 year old me (I had never done it before), and my side looked definitely "homemade".

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
The difference between good and bad tiling becomes evident pretty quickly when your looking at it every day for the next 10 years

I'd get a pro .

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

criscodisco posted:

oh my god how sloppy are you to leave that poo poo at the bottom i want to scream

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Congratulations on your new kitchens, bathrooms and lives, everyone.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

criscodisco posted:

suck my dick.

E:

Actually, buy me an av cert.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

OMFG FURRY posted:

oh my god how sloppy are you to leave that poo poo at the bottom i want to scream

Huh? What part? I told you is never told before, and it's not my shower.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rutibex posted:

you should start the project witha kiln and fire your own tiles. hardware store tiles are extremely expensive and may run you in the dozens of dollars. i know a DIYer like yourself appreciates the value of home made tiles

good advice from a poster we can all trust

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
:yikes:

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
do it and post pics so we can poo poo on it no matter how actually good or bad it is

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Tiling is easy to gently caress up, post pics!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

criscodisco posted:

was this a testament for op to tile it himself, or get a professional?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

no kitchen pics voted 1

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

criscodisco posted:

Nice of you to put a seat in the shower so your sister's morbidly obese family doesn't have to stand for 10 minutes a day.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Nah they're all pretty slender people. My mom instilled a hatred of cat people in all of us from a young age. As to whether it's a testament to DIY or a plea for a professional, decide for yourself. I really don't care, just don't make me do it. Tiling loving sucks.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

criscodisco posted:

Nah they're all pretty slender people. My mom instilled a hatred of cat people in all of us from a young age. As to whether it's a testament to DIY or a plea for a professional, decide for yourself. I really don't care, just don't make me do it. Tiling loving sucks.

I admire your gumption for DIY, but I'd stare at that 1/2" grout line on the seat for decades and think of why I was such a cheap rear end.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
that looks better than i could have done but that isnt say ing much i imagine

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

lets buiry this guy in a tiled roof in rural italy whos with me ill make the website

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shaquin posted:

lets buiry this guy in a tiled roof in rural italy whos with me ill make the website

Which one? If op doesn't post pre/post pics I say him.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Darth123123 posted:

I admire your gumption for DIY, but I'd stare at that 1/2" grout line on the seat for decades and think of why I was such a cheap rear end.

Agreed, but again: not my shower. Was home to my sister, and she decided that I was going to break my tile virginity on her shower.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

criscodisco posted:

Agreed, but again: not my shower. Was home to my sister, and she decided that I was going to break my tile virginity on her shower.

And I'm ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
we tiled a lot of poo poo but we did our bathroom with radiant heat underneath the floor and with body sprayers in the shower, it owns

what didn't own on that project was my wife deciding she didn't like the first grout color we put down so we had to loving dremel and rotozip that poo poo out and then put a different one in

also what owns is the tile saw we have with a slider and miter / plunge cut capability, but that saw alone was more than op was quoted to tile whatever it is

• Locked thread