Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I just had a thought. Is the alarm for "I'm dead" the same as the alarm for "someone is not standing on the pressure plate"?

(sorry, I had to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

We have a smiley for it, even. :objection:

I just finished up the Ace Attorney trilogy in the course in catching up on the series so this came at a pretty good time to help scratch that itch, though I'm pretty passive in making voting decisions.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ask the Log Lady what she knows about Lara Pa- Wait. Are you sure? It's Patterson? drat it, I thought I had this one.

Known facts:
He's dead, Jim.
There is only one entry to both the settlement at large and the Overseer's portion.
Overseer's gate locked from the inside.
He ran into my knife. He ran into my knife 25 times.
Oswald was on guard that night atop a very finicky pressure plate. Alarm continues for five minutes after activation.
Dead Man's Switch alarm activated at 2:12 AM.
Body was discovered by Oswald, his wife, and Jane.
Walls are electrified.
Overson instituted armed citizenry a few weeks ago.

Evidence:

Observations:
Much too clean. Much too clean. No posters, no storage containers, no detritus of life.
Dr. Ryder is the most handsome flamingo this side of the Mississippi.

Speculation:
Power situation is suspicious. If power is out (And who would notice, in the dead of night?) pressure plate, deadman switch, and electric walls all moot. Time of death also called into question.

Any items anywhere, period? Seriously, this is a barren-rear end settlement.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah, how does the power to the walls/alarm go? Could the pressure plate be deactivated?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

“Sir—there you are. I’ve been trying to give you time to do your thing by yourself, but as your client I must insist you listen to me.”
“And I must insist you be quiet and talk to my flamingo. I have work to do.”
“…”
“…Um, hi?”
“Dr. Ryder, please entertain our client while I investigate the settlement.”
“…”
“I—does he actually talk? Is he like a synth? Or is he just a flamingo? I…I really am not sure what you want me to—“

I started my investigation from the outside. Oswald chased after me—or rather walked very slowly after me, holstering up Dr. Ryder over his shoulder as though he were a sacred object. This show of respect appeased me and thus I did not protest to his presence.

If someone from outside the settlement were responsible for the crime, they would have likely left some evidence behind. After all, it rained the day before the murder. Yet there are no footprints coming from the outside...at least none that I can see.

(WEBM Mirror)

Not exactly the best designed walls, but they are certainly going to keep anyone away. They are hard to climb and quite electrified.

That would hardly keep a master criminal from entering the settlement, of course. There are many ways around electrified walls. As stupid as it sounds, some lunatic with power armor and a jetpack could probably jump straight over it…but that’s not all the settlement has to offer.

“My, what magnificent turrets. Would I be correct in assuming them to be of the missile sort?”
“Y-yes sir, I believe so. Is that important?”
“Exceedingly so.”
“Is there anything else you and Dr. Ryder would like to draw my attention to?”
“To the curious incident of the turrets in the night of the murder.”
“The turrets did nothing in the night of the murder, sir Flamingo.”
“That was the curious incident.”

“So, do those turrets shoot anyone not allied with the settlement?”
“Y-yes sir. I added you to the list of settlers before you came here, as per the Masked Man’s request.”
“Here’s a list of everyone the turret won’t shoot.”

“Very well. The next question would be whether the turrets are functional or not.”
“…Huh?”
“Well, that’s easy to test out, it’s just going to take a while. If we get everyone checking the turrets for missiles, we can—“
“Oh, please. I wouldn’t be a world class detective if I couldn’t speed things up a little.”
“I figured we would need to test something like this so I planned a little something.”

“...What’s in the cage?”

(Recommended WEBM mirror)

“It’s safe to say that the turrets are perfectly functional.”
“WHAT DID YOU JUST DO? You just—you just used some weird animal as a test subject?”
“Don’t worry about it. It wasn’t a real animal. Just a test subject.”
“In any case…there doesn’t seem to be anything strange around the settlement.”
“…Oh, what’s that?”
“Is that…?”
“A bloodied bundle of clothing? Now this is interesting. What’s this doing outside the settlement? Did someone run out of here and toss it?”

“That…that would have been impossible sir.”
“In fact, that’s the main reason why we accepted the Masked Man’s offer to have someone help us out here.”
“And what is that?”
“…This.”
With a brisk gesture, the man pulled down his collar to show me his neck. I would be lying if I said I was surprised, but I was definitely intrigued.
“A slave collar?”
“Comes from the Capital Wasteland as I understand it.”

“Once you join the settlement you are forced to put one of those on. If we try to leave the settlement without Overson’s permission…we…well…explode.”
“How lovely. And you can’t take those off?”
“They are linked to the terminal near Overson’s tower…but we don’t know the password to deactivate them. So…”
“Is there anyone who doesn’t have a collar in the settlement?”
“Aside from Overson himself? Jack Mendonza, our trader. But he was playing cards with old psycho lady Jenkins all night, so I doubt he could have done that.”
So almost no one could get out and no one outside the settlers could get in…interesting. Normally, cases don’t let you narrow down suspects this much. But that vagueness usually comes with a sense of relief…a vague idea that you can explain away anything with ‘mysterious person X’ being the killer. Nothing is truly unexplained.
But here, nothing makes sense. The criminal could not have come from the outside. The people inside the settlement could not have broken past the lock from the inside. How can I explain that?
No…it’s too early for that kind of talk. I haven’t investigated enough.

“The bloodied article of clothing was just barely outside the settlement—but the fact remained it was outside. It had escaped the settlement, though none of its citizens had appeared to do so.

I searched around the settlement—save for the crime scene—and found no other pieces of evidence. Save for that piece of cloth, it really is like a ghost just walked into the damned settlement, killed Overson and flew away into the night. But that can’t be true.
“There is no such a thing as ghosts. Only legends I haven’t killed yet.”
“No...that's not quite right. Only legends we haven't killed yet. Isn't that right, Dr. Ryder?”

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 9, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Historical documents about an Officer McBain suggest we not trust anyone named Mendoza. Let's question him.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CirclMastr posted:

Historical documents about an Officer McBain suggest we not trust anyone named Mendoza. Let's question him.

This, but decline any offer of salmon puffs!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Jack's alibi isn't bolded, so it's safe to assume we need more corroboration to be certain one way or the other.

Supplemental question: is the bloody bundle close enough to the wall that someone could have thrown it from the other side of the wall?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Personally I think at this point we need to see the stiff before the body starts rotting on us. Last thing we need is a bloatfly to pop out of one of the several holes in the victim and ruin perfectly good evidence. Or some crazy cannibal eats it.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Outrail posted:

Yeah, how does the power to the walls/alarm go? Could the pressure plate be deactivated?

While it could and you guys could waste an investigation on that, gonna be upfront with you guys--The pressure plate was active the whole night. I say that now because an investigation would have revealed that anyway so I figure it's easier to just do this to help move things along.

Unknown Quantity posted:

Personally I think at this point we need to see the stiff before the body starts rotting on us. Last thing we need is a bloatfly to pop out of one of the several holes in the victim and ruin perfectly good evidence. Or some crazy cannibal eats it.

Speaking of bloatflies, quick anecdote: while recording this update the settlement was randomly invaded(?) by a bunch of bloatflies. I had a couple missile turrets facing inwards by accident(not canon for the game, that was me messing up) and that turret went loving nuts and actually shot at a ton of my settlers while constantly missing the goddamn bloatflies. After like 5 minutes of the goddamn thing being unkillable since I had no wepaons on me I went "screw it" and reloaded the game haha.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

question: is the bloody bundle close enough to the wall that someone could have thrown it from the other side of the wall?

I'll go ahead and acknowledge that this is entirely possible.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

While I'm sure it would be fun to try and solve the case without ever going to the crime scene, I think we've done enough mucking around for now.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm betting that "thrown over the wall" is the way the clothing got outside, personally, which would also explain why they were wadded up into a ball. Perhaps the reason they didn't fly apart from one another mid-flight is the blood? Bears further thought.

At any rate, corrently I favor:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

"Before looking at the crime scene...it's worth looking at the Overseer's general surroundings."

"There are technically two entrances to Overson's land. The first one..."

"...Has been locked for years. The lock has rusted away and I don't think I could open it if I fired a nuke at it, much less just using a key. The second door...."

...is the one that Oswald and everyone else broke to enter the settlement."

"I'll state the facts about this lock plainly. It can only be locked from the inside. In addition, according to many witnesses, the door was indeed locked from the inside at the time everyone walked in."

"The computer system controlling the slave collars is of course located here, inside Overson's private area. The generator, water supply and farm are also located here."

"The stairs leading up to the crime scene can either go into the tower toward that closed door I mentioned earlier. The closed door is a perfect dead end, so it's time to turn our eyes to the...main event."

"The first floor of the tower contains...a turret, with its own small power supply. It provides certain death for any unauthorized visitors...talk about paranoid. Then again, maybe he wasn't paranoid enough considering what happened to him. It seems like Oswald and co destroyed it on their way to see the body though...can I be sure that this was active at the time of his death?"

"This floor has nothing but a decorative statue in it."

"This floor has a place to sit and a dresser."

"This floor has...a bed. Wonder who's gonna get to sleep here now that Overson is dead?"

"Ah, and of course...the body, directly blocking the entrance to the last floor. Kind of understand Warden's account of the murder a bit better now."

Pay no attention to the glowy stuff. That's not plot relevant, just a minor mistake regarding NPC pathing and a laser pistol being the quickest way to solve that while I was recording.

"Hmm...the body...I really can't tell much about it. I mean I'm no doctor, but he was stabbed 25 times. I presume that's kind of lethal. His body is very hard to even recognize right now...though there is little doubt of his identity. Maybe the killer had a grudge against him?"

"Ah...the famous knife. It matches the wounds and is covered in blood. Interesting."

"I have a better picture of this all happened now..."

"The Dead Man's switch activated. Warden, Oswald, Lara and Jane all rushed to the locked gate."

"Warden presumably stayed behind to talk to the other ones who were still waking up. The three went up the stairs...presumably destroyed the turret and found the corpse on the staircase. The women came downstairs to explain what they found and Oswald stayed behind to investigate the body. Then they presumably went downstairs and caught up with everyone."

"Who could have...?"

"There is no point to this exercise if you don't at least put up a bit of a fight."

"What are you getting at?"

"I'll be straight with you and pull no puches here. My dear Flamingo, Ed Balor is not the killer."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Who?"

"My, you haven't been investigating this enough, have you? Let me simplify things for you, my dear defective detective: Ed Balor is not the culprit. Yet, I fully intend on convincing the settlement that he's the killer and have him executed."

"!"

"Why would you do that? Do you have a grudge against him or—"

"No. I don't care about this settlement or its inhabitants in the slightest. This is just the battlefield I have chosen."

"I wanted to prove you can't match me in a battle of wits, but truthfully you made this quite difficult for me. You aren't a competitive man by nature. So I...facilitated this murder, after a fashion. What better way to prove myself the most clever of the two than to defeat you in a murder mystery?"

"..."

"Has your righteous fury rendered you speechless?"

"No. I don't care about the victim, he seemed quite the jerk if I'm being frank. And your insanity has no relevance to the culprit's identity so I'm not interested in it."

"Frame whoever you wish. It won't matter once I have solved this case."

"Do you plan on solving this impossible murder? Do you plan on finding a human culprit for a murder only a ghost could have committed?"

"Quite frankly, my dear, yes."

"I'm the best at murder mystering, you see."

"I don't believe murder mystery is a verb, good sir."

"I'll murder mystery the living poo poo out of you so hard you'll have trouble chewing through your broken ego."

: "..."

"Yeah, I think so too Ryder."

"...In any case...go ahead, continue your investigation. I'll allow you three moves of investigation.

"After that you'll frame Ed Balor?"

"Yes. And you naturally know what our battlefield shall be then."

"Naturally. The only place where accusations like this are handled within settlements."

ATTENTION:

You have 3 investigation turns left before we go to the COURTROOM.

New Options:

End of new Options

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 10, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

quote:

That statue's condition looks a lot like it's been shot. A lot. Possibly recently? Perhaps by the turret inside Overton's entrance? I could imagine someone using the statue as ablative armor to shield themselves from the turret and then simply putting it down, betting that no one would know that the statue was a recent addition. Can we examine that statue a bit more closely?

Also I want to know more about this ghost everyone keeps talking about so

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
You are really really tapping into my inner Phoenix Wright fanboy with this. I approve.

I'm not sure about asking Ed Balor about his whereabouts. I would figure that the information relevant to him is going to come up in the trial. I'm also not sure about asking the residents about the 'ghost'...what if they just say unhelpful stuff like "well it's impossible so obviously it was a ghost?"

But at the same time, I get the strange feeling that one of those results is going to end up being really important...ah screw it.

Rolling the dice. I also feel like in later updates, we should make interrogating Oswald and Jack Mendoza a priority, as there's no guarantee what they know will come up in the trial.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha this is amazing and ridiculous.

I wonder if it's relevant that the statue seems to be bullet-riddled? Didn't we learn something about guns being allowed/not allowed in the settlement?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

There's more than one way to open a locked door. Question: are the hinges on the rusted door sufficiently exposed that someone could have pulled out the pins?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Going down the list of options, I feel like there's a few things that need investigating. First off, the fact that the turret was apparently destroyed on the way up is an important detail. If it was destroyed by the townsfolk, then the only explanations for how the turrets weren't set off were (assuming the townsfolk didn't hear them go off that night)... A) The turret was off at the time. How it was off could vary. It could have its power supply cut off, the computer might be connected to more than just the slave collar systems, but that's just conjecture at this point. B) Someone entered from the top of the tower, whether by climbing it or some other method. That said, no one so far looks strong enough to climb a sheer rock wall, much less use a rope or series of sheets. And finally C) The target somehow evaded it. The statue theory might hold up if that's the case

The simplest way to figure out what happened with this turret and the door, and, more importantly, how they even managed to destroy these things, would be to

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
First of all, I just need to say one thing...making that courtroom was annoying as hell, hope the end result looks at least decent haha. (this is what I used for reference)

Anything you guys think I could do to fix/improve the courtroom or does it look okayish?

There's more than one way to open a locked door. Question: are the hinges on the rusted door sufficiently exposed that someone could have pulled out the pins?

No, that would not have been possible.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Can we examine that statue a bit more closely?

Think this falls under "investigate crime scene" so it's fair for me to elaborate on this a bit:

"The statue seems to have been indeed damaged by bullets, but the damage seems old.

...Strangely, however, there is dust everywhere around the tower...but not on the statue. In fact, it seems like the statue was placed on top of an impressive amount of dust. It seems fair to conclude that the statue was moved there not too long ago."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Hopeford posted:

First of all, I just need to say one thing...making that courtroom was annoying as hell, hope the end result looks at least decent haha. (this is what I used for reference)

Anything you guys think I could do to fix/improve the courtroom or does it look okayish?

Put a Heavy Sledgehammer (or a regular hammer) and an ashtray as gavel and sound block on the judge stand. It's just not a courtroom without them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How many people live in the settlement? Pretty sure if everyone but Ed Balor had a few stabs each that's 25. The plates didn't activate because the guards let everyone through etc.

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016
We need to know WHY they think it's a ghost. There must be something that makes them immediately go to some old legend instead of it being a really sneaky human or a teleporting Institute assassin. Who knows, maybe this'll end up being some sort of Scooby Doo plot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Hopeford posted:

Think this falls under "investigate crime scene" so it's fair for me to elaborate on this a bit:

"The statue seems to have been indeed damaged by bullets, but the damage seems old.

...Strangely, however, there is dust everywhere around the tower...but not on the statue. In fact, it seems like the statue was placed on top of an impressive amount of dust. It seems fair to conclude that the statue was moved there not too long ago."

Ah HAH!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The statue did it.

Is there room in the statue/base of the statue for a midget to hide?

Kick the statue over and investigate the tunnel it's hiding.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Winning Option posted:

It was raining when I begun preparations for my eventual ghost-slaying.

The settlers seemed more than a little hesitant to speak about this ghost, but they were all more than willing to point me toward someone who wasn't. Given their outright fear of the matter, I thought at the time that this meant that this person was the least superstitious of the sort.

"Perhaps I thought wrong."

"Would I be correct in assuming you want to hear about the Abernathy Ghost?"

"Very much so."

"Ah, you ignorant fool..."

"Why would you willingly curse yourself like that? You're not like us. You have a choice to walk away...you had nothing to do with any of it."

"My fair lady, I may be ignorant of this case's particulars, but let me assure you one thing."

"When I get involved with any number of curses, by the end of it the only curses remaining always come from the culprit's mouth once I've ripped apart his tricks."

Rather than dismiss me, Jenkins responded with a kind smile and I felt a chill go down my bones.

It was muffled and quiet in that house's singular room, with the two tall candles burning on the side table as its only light. The windows had been nailed shut, not allowing even a little fresh air on that stuffy night. Outside the rain still splashed, against a foreboding dusk spotted with one or two lighted windows in the red-painted restaurant across the street.

It served as a fitting backdrop for what I was about to listen to.

"Murder and the impossible!"

With a thunderous gesture, the lady placed a knife on the floor between us. It was not the one used on the victim and I doubted it had ever been used for anything.

"I have heard of you, Detective Flamingo. You travel across the Commonwealth, searching less for souls that cry for help and more for souls that cry foul at the seemingly unsolvable. I can sympathize with that."

"Can you sympathize with a lady who collects death?"

"Death, you say?"

"I don't involve myself personally with those affairs like you do, but I like to keep something from them with me."

"This knife is a replica of the one used to murder Overson, you see."

"You had this replica made in under 24 hours?"

"Heavens, no! I have had it since before he was killed."

"Are you suggesting you knew this murder would happen?"

"Not this murder, no. I knew about the other one, however, which is more than everyone else can say."

She stopped talking, but not as though she had just said anything she hadn't meant to. Instead, she smiled at me as if waiting for me to catch up. My nod was a hesitant one, but it was enough for her to go on.

"Imagine yourself as any other settler here. The wasteland is a cruel place and you are as weary as your rusty gun. A part of you almost wants to use that last bullet on yourself and save the eventual raider the problem, but the larger part of you stubborly clings on to life, more out of habit than any actual desire.

"One day, these tired old legs of yours bring you to a place that had once been known as the Abernathy Farm. The place now has as much to do with a farm as a milelurk! It's more closely protected than a bloody Brotherhood building. The cold metal turrets gaze down at you and you hear a voice."

"The wasteland is a cruel place, isn't it? You can die any second out there...but this isn't part of the commonwealth. This is your paradise.

Discard everything you own and I'll allow you to live here. It is safe, I promise. We have water and food. You'll never need to leave this place again."

"Your dislike of life and your wanting to live collide into one and the emerging desperate hope is stronger a feeling than you ever had your whole life. 'Anything, I'll do anything! Let me in!' you say. The miraculous fortress seems like the answer to the prayers you would have had if you still had the energy in you to pray."

"You vaguely summon whatever memory you have of the place as though to convince whatever remains of a skeptic in yourself. Northwest of the gargantuan Diamond City, south of Sanctuary, there used to live a small family of four. Perchance were you acquainted with the Abernathys a few years back? No matter."

"After throwing out everything you own, you enter the settlement and are greeted not by the Abernathys, but by a strange man called Overson. You can't bring yourself to care, though, because he also greets you with good clothes, warm food and cold drinks. You are given a house, a job, and you quickly adapt to everything. Life goes on, until it doesn't."

"One day one of your fellow settlers decides to clean under his or her house and finds something terrifying."

"The mangled corpses of the Abernathys."

"You and your fellow settlers all rush to confront Overson about it...about the possibility you pushed out of your head so you could enjoy the miraculous safety of the settlement...and you are chilled by his response."

Huh? What of it? Of course I killed them! I needed land for my paradise. I thought I told you all before...the wasteland is a cruel place. You can die at any second out there. But the paradise isn't part of the wasteland anymore. Any complaints?"

"If you had any, the cold slave collar kept it from leaving our throats. Life went on again."

"But you never forgot...that your supposed benefactor was a murderous demon. That he could do it again. That he was a demon."

"And perhaps to appease your conscience, perhaps to pretend Overson's deeds were going to go unpunished because you were too much of a coward to do anything about it...you start to whisper that the Abernathy ghost will seek revenge one day."

"You start to blame anything on the ghost and your fellow settlers agree. Has food disappeared? Has Oswald's Lemonade gone stale? Has the Mole Rat poison stopped working just when the pests are worse than ever? Has it rained more than usual this year?"

"It's the ghost...it's always the ghost."

"..."

"Thank you, Jenkins. Your information was most useful."

[Options]

ATTENTION:

You have 2 investigation turns left before we go to the COURTROOM.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 16, 2016

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Sorry it took so long for this update! Was out of town. Normally I can still use the screenshots I took ahead of time to pull off an update but this time I had to re-design Jenkins because the original one didn't look nearly stupid enough.

Outrail posted:

The statue did it.

Is there room in the statue/base of the statue for a midget to hide?

Kick the statue over and investigate the tunnel it's hiding.

Nobody could hide inside the statue. There's no tunnel.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Our adversary believes he can predict us. Best to be unpredictable.

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Our adversary believes he can predict us. Best to be unpredictable.

Supporting this. We're not your run of the mill private detective, we're an eccentric oddball private detective whose best friend is a flamingo.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Brerose posted:

Supporting this. We're not your run of the mill private detective, we're an eccentric oddball private detective whose best friend is a flamingo.

Speaking of which, I think I found the inspiration for our favorite detective. Or perhaps this is their manifesto.

Either way, I'm getting on the

train. We'll still have time to talk to Oswald or another person. May as well go for something unexpected.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Hopeford posted:

"You had this replica made in under 24 hours?"

"Heavens, no! I have had it since before he was killed."

For some reason I burst out laughing at this combination. That lady's face is loving terrifying. What the hell kind of mods were able to produce that?

The story behind the town was really great. Flamingo might not care so much about the Why part of a mystery (unless it helps him solve it), but I do, and it added a lot to the whole experience for me. I could see the story behind the town being the setting for an actual Fallout sidequest...well, one of the ones written by Obsidian, at any rate.

Jumping on this bandwagon:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Screw this let's go to trial

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

Screw this let's go to trial

Speaking of the trial, how is that going to work? Same style of voting or...?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

KamikazePotato posted:

Speaking of the trial, how is that going to work? Same style of voting or...?

Pure, unashamed Phoenix Wright ripoff, unless the thread heavily objects to that.

Thread can vote to "Press" a statement to ask for more details or "Object" to show someone is lying through evidence for the most part.

Example:

Statement 4: "Overson never killed anyone!"

Thread then votes "Objection->

(Expect a lot of super fancy graphics and every statement being edited into images so it looks prettier though)

To avoid a possible "Let's Press Every Statement" scenario, each testimony is gonna have a limit on the amount of presses the thread can make(different depending on size of testimony). Occasionally there will be dialogue choices like "Can you prove that? -> drat RIGHT I CAN ->drat RIGHT I CAN'T" and those will be regular votes like we had up until now.

Oh and there's gonna be a lifebar for when the thread objects to the wrong thing for tension's sake, though I imagine the thread is totally gonna ace the case.

(Also, in case people here haven't played Phoenix Wright I'll have a more detailed explanation when the time comes. It will be pretty simple.)

KamikazePotato posted:

For some reason I burst out laughing at this combination. That lady's face is loving terrifying. What the hell kind of mods were able to produce that?

None, just the in-game protagonist builder. Mild console-command sorcery was all I needed to be honest! I do have a mod I'm working on designed specifically for this LP, but that shouldn't show up until case #2. Looking forward to showing off some technical bullshit I'm preparing for the later cases haha.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 16, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Alternatively, pressing can be for asking a new question altogether in regards to the testimony instead of just going "hey give me more info on this." Just leaving that as an option since we're not confined to the set-in-stone mechanics of Phoenix Wright. I hope we get a judge who likes saying "I want to see where this is going."

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Unknown Quantity posted:

Alternatively, pressing can be for asking a new question altogether in regards to the testimony instead of just going "hey give me more info on this." Just leaving that as an option since we're not confined to the set-in-stone mechanics of Phoenix Wright. I hope we get a judge who likes saying "I want to see where this is going."

Yeah, that's totally cool with me. Only thing is that the majority of the thread would still need to agree on a single question to ask, which I think could be a little tricky. Might go with something like "If thread all wants to press same thing and can't agree on specific question I'll wing it and compromise on something between the questions asked" to keep things workable. And I can promise one thing: we will have a judge who is constantly surprised at everything.

Either way, we only have two more updates to go until it's time for...

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 16, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hopeford posted:

(Also, in case people here haven't played Phoenix Wright they should rectify this grievous error immediately. :colbert:)

E for content: In lieu of having things with which to present everything to everyone, we'll just have to talk to everyone instead.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 16, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Her story just isn't adding up. How would anyone know a knife was used to kill the Abernathys if the corpses were completely mangled? If her story is correct, "which is more than everyone else can say" is incorrect, because they would know the backstory, too; they just don't want to say.

And if the knife came in later, an embellishment added after the fact as the idea of vengeful ghosts took root, then it's certainly true that whoever has access to a particular kind of knife might easily be able to get a second one...

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Her story just isn't adding up. How would anyone know a knife was used to kill the Abernathys if the corpses were completely mangled? If her story is correct, "which is more than everyone else can say" is incorrect, because they would know the backstory, too; they just don't want to say.

And if the knife came in later, an embellishment added after the fact as the idea of vengeful ghosts took root, then it's certainly true that whoever has access to a particular kind of knife might easily be able to get a second one...

I trust the creepy lady with the knife implicitly. :colbert:

Plus she would be way too obvious a culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm still obsessing over the statue. It must mean something. Why was it moved?

• Locked thread