Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think the Libertarian ticket would be much stronger if William Weld was heading it. Gary Johnson's just a bit too goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the libertarian party deserves a candidate commanding great dignity and I know a certain bstetrics and gynaecology doctor who fits that roll nicely

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

also lol at the guy getting mad at the stripper. "but my money! :qq: say it was a joke!"

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Gary Johnson wants to repeal Obamacare, which is the only tangible thing that came out of DC that directly changed my life. I would prefer he don't do that

Keep in mind just because it changed your life doesn't mean it didn't gently caress up someone else's.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

538 also thinks Gary Johnson might win Utah.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/can-trump-and-clinton-transform-the-electoral-map/

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson-5949.html

you could make a lot of puns about feeling the johnson and so on but the point is if he were a more competent campaigner the dude could easily break 10% this cycle it's looking like

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

gay johnson

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

gret posted:

I think the Libertarian ticket would be much stronger if William Weld was heading it. Gary Johnson's just a bit too goofy.

It is literally impossible to be too goofy for the libertarian party right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Psp0A-zJgU

P.s. Check out Vermin Supreme.

P.s.s. Who needs a drivers license?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am not a libertarian but i would say that from what we have seen at this convention, the party actually represents Real Everyday American Culture far more than any other.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

quote:

harry: I wouldn’t be shocked if Johnson won in Utah. Both Clinton and Trump are hated there, and Johnson could thread the needle. He’d be the first third-party candidate to win a state since George Wallace in 1968.

Goddamn Enten is so loving dumb!!!

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
last election during the debates with Obama and Mittens gary johnson streamed it on youtube with him in a chair yelling at the candidates and what he would say if he was up on stage with them.

It was pretty sad and hilarious at the same time.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Johnson/Weld will be on CNN tonight at 9pm eastern for a town hall style forum.

Streaming info if you don't have cable:
http://heavy.com/news/2016/06/libertarian-gary-johnson-town-hall-debate-live-stream-livestream-app-watch-online-free-cnn-how-to-june-22/

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

ManDingo posted:

Johnson/Weld will be on CNN tonight at 9pm eastern for a town hall style forum.

Streaming info if you don't have cable:
http://heavy.com/news/2016/06/libertarian-gary-johnson-town-hall-debate-live-stream-livestream-app-watch-online-free-cnn-how-to-june-22/

Time to feel the Johnson!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this Libertarianism With a Human Face presentation on cnn is hilarious. i bet stossel is steamed over blowing his wad early

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

"prohibition is what your son succumbed to"

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah that was a bit unfortunate. It was a wee bit :smuggo:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Hmm a pulse survivor and the mom of a kid who SNORTED heroin. Good broad cross section of Americans.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Weld is the Cheney to Johnson's W.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Hahaha when asked how his tax reform would be 'revenue neutral' Johnson said "we're getting too in the weeds here"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Hahaha when asked how his tax reform would be 'revenue neutral' Johnson said "we're getting too in the weeds here"

The actual explanation is that he wants to shut down 80% of the government along with eliminating most taxes, lmao.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it is really cool that cnn decided to give the libertarians a platform and throttled the campaign in the crib by just...letting them talk

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Homework Explainer posted:

it is really cool that cnn decided to give the libertarians a platform and throttled the campaign in the crib by just...letting them talk

Listening to sincere and unbridled libertarian policy chat is the intellectual equivalent to watching that fat dude's strip tease at their convention.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
They were pretty chill through the whole thing after being repeatedly baited to throw Clinton/Trump under the bus. Then when it was over CNN immediately cut to what basically amounted to a riot on the house floor. lol.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

yeah weld is the much better candidate, don't know why they keep going with johnson

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Weld had no shot at being nominated as LP's Presidential candidate. He barely won the nomination for VP after Gary Johnson begged the delegates to nominate Weld.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

yeah weld is the much better candidate, don't know why they keep going with johnson

The libertarian party really hates electable candidates. Johnson had to chant things like "taxation is theft" to keep order as it was.

That said, every party seems to hate electable candidates this cycle, so at least they're not alone.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

yeah i keep forgetting the libertarian base has got to be filled with completely insane people

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Homework Explainer posted:

the one crisis they weren't prepared for...

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Karl Barks posted:

yeah i keep forgetting the libertarian base has got to be filled with completely insane people

See, they're just like Republicans and Democrats!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gary Johnson probably isn't a libertarian himself. He's a weed guy. Like back when I was a libertarian Reason did an article interviewing him where it was pretty clear he was just a moderate conservative guy and then he hosed up his back shortly after he left office in NM and was miserable until he started smoking weed, which led him to the left on criminal justice issues. That led him to the Libertarian party because they were already all-in on weed at the time (2007 or so).

Not that he's a great candidate, but he isn't ideologically libertarian like the party itself is. If he got into the debates he has the ability to look sane next to Trump.

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Jun 27, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jazerus posted:

Gary Johnson probably isn't a libertarian himself. He's a weed guy. Like back when I was a libertarian Reason did an article interviewing him where it was pretty clear he was just a moderate conservative guy and then he hosed up his back shortly after he left office in NM and was miserable until he started smoking weed, which led him to the left on criminal justice issues. That led him to the Libertarian party because they were already all-in on weed at the time (2007 or so).

Not that he's a great candidate, but he isn't ideologically libertarian like the party itself is. If he got into the debates he has the ability to look sane next to Trump.

sure there may have been some logic to that at one point in that the Libertarian party was one of the only political parties making any kind of noise about weed.

but now its 2016 and several states have already voted to fully legalize weed and in most of those have actually legalized it, I don't think the Libertarian party was really the major player in any of those decisions so running on that platform in this election because he's "a weed guy" doesn't really make sense anymore, dude could just move to Seattle or whatever

Earwicker has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Jun 27, 2016

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Vox Nihili posted:

The libertarian party really hates electable candidates. Johnson had to chant things like "taxation is theft" to keep order as it was.

That said, every party seems to hate electable candidates this cycle, so at least they're not alone.

from their last debate

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/736739887832047617
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/736741093321105408

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
I just want to see a debate with :abuela:, :sad:, and :350:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/747579151457132544

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Earwicker posted:

sure there may have been some logic to that at one point in that the Libertarian party was one of the only political parties making any kind of noise about weed.

but now its 2016 and several states have already voted to fully legalize weed and in most of those have actually legalized it, I don't think the Libertarian party was really the major player in any of those decisions so running on that platform in this election because he's "a weed guy" doesn't really make sense anymore, dude could just move to Seattle or whatever

I don't disagree, if he wanted to be in politics seriously he could just be a Democrat now and probably fit in okay. I guess he feels committed at this point :shrug:

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I think the distinctions between Gary and the major parties is a little more than just weed. He's also the only candidate against foreign military intervention, the surveillance state, big business exploiting regulation to their own benefit among others.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

also lol at the guy getting mad at the stripper. "but my money! :qq: say it was a joke!"

point of order Mr. Chairman, it's actually a trilby *waves vape in the air to emphasize*

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

ManDingo posted:

I think the distinctions between Gary and the major parties is a little more than just weed. He's also the only candidate against foreign military intervention, the surveillance state, big business exploiting regulation to their own benefit among others.

Except his solution to regulatory capture is "no more regulations" which is actually worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i'm fiscally conservative

but socially liberal

• Locked thread