Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
Arthur C. Clarke on BBC Horizon ca. 1964 giving his predictions for the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT_8-pjuctM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XosYXxwFPkg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

Get me a loving coffee and shut up.

Sorry Goat, that' would put you 10mg over your suggested caffeine intake for the day. How about an iced green tea instead?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

In the dark world of the future, there are only Puerto Rican falsettos.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
1999 AD... The Day of Lavos...

Honor Stud For Rent
Sep 27, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 2, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Sale At Albertsons! posted:

1999 AD... The Day of Lavos...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I bet that the past scientist didn't envision technology being used to share the content originally in this post!!!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

In 1999 AD and beyond censorship is rampant, free speech is dead

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

shoophobo posted:

Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avHo0-qU8xo
From the AT&T Archives (filled with great stuff imo) its "Seeing the Digital Future (1961)"

This one is good, but it's shot like a horror movie.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
It is the future. Mankind has conquered the stars. An advanced exploration corps, a new breed of pioneer must seek out unstable planets and destroy them.

And you are on the mission of the 21th century planet smashers.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ape Fist posted:

Computers are still dumb as gently caress mind you, every smartphone comes with 'Voice Recognition' on par with a mentally disabled elderly grandparent. I'm sure the people in 1967 wouldn't be impressed if you asked a computer a simple question like 'Nearest Coffee Shop', and the computer went 'Yes, searching for nearest poopy plops, there are 24 poopy plops in a 10 mile radius.'

my old rear end four year old cell phone has a voice recognition chip that can tell when im yelling at it from across my apartment even when its locked and it even answers my questions in a hal-9000 voice

maybe you should stop buying hastily designed samsung garbage

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

nigga crab pollock posted:

answers my questions in a hal-9000 voice

I'm sorry your phone is Canadian

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

We're really letting old Artie C down by not pursuing that super-intelligent monkey butler angle.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

We may not have flying cars but we're getting closer to robots that will rise up and kill us.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
btw if you think those people in the 1950 look like dorks for predicting the future of today with robot housewives, just wait until the people of the future look back us :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyFYFjESkWU

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
1988's future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrAcY8Daw_4

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Elukka posted:

My experience (Android, I imagine iOS is the same) is it works pretty much perfectly in both languages I've used it, English and Finnish. You gotta talk to it normally, if you try to make your MAXIMALLY-CLEAR-ROBOT-IMPRESSION it won't get you.

nah actually it's bad and it makes the same mistakes over and over again until i'm screaming at the inside of my car to no, please, call Marilyn, not give me goddamn directions to maryland, and then i throw my phone out the window and crash my car and die and finally receive the relief i've sought all my life

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Wheres my pleasure bots

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also, the dystopian authors nailed it that surveillance of daily life would become ubiquitous and used without consent of the surveilled for selfish ends by the people doing the surveillance.

what they failed to predict is that it wasn't a rapture of wartime jingoism that turned our privacy over to the government (not primarily, anyway), but that we turned it over incrementally to private corporations in exchange for devices of convenience and leisure. and the pretext for the power-hungry people using the surveillance to keep themselves in power turned out to be personal prestige and profit, not state security.

whether this actually leads to an oppressive dystopia remains to be seen, but if it does, it'll probably be some kind of unprecedented corporate feudalism.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Just wait until major multinational corporations get their own passports.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

OMGVBFLOL posted:

nah actually it's bad and it makes the same mistakes over and over again until i'm screaming at the inside of my car to no, please, call Marilyn, not give me goddamn directions to maryland, and then i throw my phone out the window and crash my car and die and finally receive the relief i've sought all my life

you're holding it wrong.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Roylicious posted:

Just wait until major multinational corporations get their own passports.

Do you just type words and hope they make sense?

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Im really excited that this thread was turned in to a "baby boomers, corporations and Republicans are bad" thread. It's exactly what I was aiming for.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

VendaGoat posted:

Do you just type words and hope they make sense?

I bet you a dollar than inside 30 years there will be some kind of pseudo citizenship thing for large transnationals in the name of free trade which will allow them to issue passports to their employees for the purposes of traveling around while representing the company.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Roylicious posted:

I bet you a dollar than inside 30 years there will be some kind of pseudo citizenship thing for large transnationals in the name of free trade which will allow them to issue passports to their employees for the purposes of traveling around while representing the company.

So 2061 is when you think I'll get to turn into an Elf?

I'm not voting for a dragon to be President though, I'll tell you what.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
*flies over thread in personal supersonic jet*
*looks down disdainfully*
Nerds.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

LGD posted:

Especially not one with a silly name like Dunkelzahn.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

phasmid posted:

*flies over thread in personal supersonic jet*
*looks down disdainfully*
Nerds.

Take me with you!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

VendaGoat posted:

Take me with you!
*drops hydrogen bomb*

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

phasmid posted:

*drops hydrogen bomb*

That's a fair and reasoned response.

*Reaches ten thousand degrees*

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

shoophobo posted:

Im really excited that this thread was turned in to a "baby boomers, corporations and Republicans are bad" thread. It's exactly what I was aiming for.

what about counter-revolutionaries, comrade?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The year is 1999 and humanity has finally found a cure for gayness

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

CharlestonJew posted:

The year is 1999 and humanity has finally found a cure for gayness

But will they want to take it..?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

LGD posted:

How many Nuyen was the Fairlight Excalibur going for? 250k through legitimate channels?

I want a head computer.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

shoophobo posted:

disrespecting your elders may be un-pc but it's obligatory

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

In the dark world of the future, there are only Puerto Rican falsettos.

now this is something i can get behind

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Roylicious posted:

Cool. Why can't these employees use their normal State Department issued passports again?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

But, gently caress corporations, amirite millennials? :v:
amazing. Magnificent. Behold this dazzling sequence of words

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ape Fist posted:

I can forgive them not figuring out that the future would actually be a technological hell of endless meme shitposting
Snow Crash got this right I think, I vaguely remember a bit about people using giant floppy dicks with legs as avatars in VR just because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roylicious posted:

Peep this hosed up situation: employees can already have these, they're called "passports".

• Locked thread