Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wish I was dead Bill Hicks getting judged on just two hours worth of material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Hey, maybe if politicians spent more time doing good stuff instead of doing bad stuff then things would be better, right guys!

/crowd breaks into rapturous applause
/multiple documentaries are made about my genius life

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
One of the first rules of comedy is that it's more important to be likable than clever.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

thathonkey posted:

i cant keep up anymore is it edgy to like or to hate bill hicks these days

last i checked it was edgy to hate bill hicks but imo at this point in our progression as a civilization it should flip around and be edgy to like him again.

like imagine louis ck never happened, and bill hicks didnt fake his death to become alex jones

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

Hey, maybe if politicians spent more time doing good stuff instead of doing bad stuff then things would be better, right guys!

/crowd breaks into rapturous applause
/multiple documentaries are made about my genius life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEtMZh2exc

I mean yeah, he gets overrated a lot. gently caress yourself tho i still like him

E: I quoted the wrong thing but im drunk because i like bill hicks and he says its cool to drink and smoke

Jellidelic fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 30, 2016

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Ork of Fiction posted:

One of the first rules of comedy is that it's more important to be likable than clever.

Ancient Dane Cook Secret

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If god exists, then Bill Hicks is in Hell.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
By the way, just in case you didn't know, Bill Hicks is still around but he goes by "Alex Jones" now.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Hicks did more than just angry man comedy. At least that's what I remember.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I like the cds that were mixed in with some chill music.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
My favourite Bill Hicks joke is about moths.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Gobblecoque posted:

I hadn't watched Bill Hicks for quite a few years but I watched him on Netflix a few weeks ago and yeah he's just as funny as I remember. I think most of the people who really hate him just take him too seriously. Just because you disagree with an entertainer's personal philosophy doesn't mean that you can't enjoy their entertainment and I think Hicks intentionally took most of his stuff to such absurd limits so that the audience would find it funny whether they're thinking "yeah this guy knows what's going on" or "this rear end in a top hat's full of poo poo." Some of his routines drag on more then they should and some of his stuff ends up being kinda annoying but those are complaints you can level against every comedian that's ever lived. If you sit through a Bill Hicks show and aren't able to laugh enough that watching was worth it then you're probably kind of a wierdo and should loosen up.

I agree. Hicks is funny.

Sometimes "If he thought he could fly he shoulda taken off from the ground, what an rear end in a top hat" pops into my head and I have to chuckle.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I liked the way he dealt with hecklers.

Fun starts at 1:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jzbj9wylwU

EDIT: who still has a GIF of 2:30?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bonzo posted:

I liked the way he dealt with hecklers.

Fun starts at 1:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jzbj9wylwU

More proof of how bad this guy sucks, compare that to how Bill Burr (PBUH) deals with hecklers and Hicks looks like a loving retard.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

a bone to pick posted:

More proof of how bad this guy sucks, compare that to how Bill Burr (PBUH) deals with hecklers and Hicks looks like a loving retard.

I've seen Daniel loving Tosh take care of hecklers with more subtlety and comedy than hicks.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I prefer Bill Hicks Lite (Doug Stanhope) even though he's still kind of a douche but I think he's funnier. I really miss Mitch Hedgeberg and wish Emo Philips would come back.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

a bone to pick posted:

The difference there is that Burr is genuinely a funny guy who is comfortable with who he is and his place in the world whereas Hicks was a guilty liberal who was constantly seeking validation to prove how right he was about his viewpoint.

gently caress him and every other "authority is bad right, RIGHT?!?!?!" comic. They all try too hard and still loving suck.

gently caress George Carlin as well, loving hack. We get it, the man is bad. Whatever, say something funny you loving rear end in a top hat.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Any hour of bill burr's podcast is better than any hour of hicks, and he ad-libs that twice a week and distributes it for free.

Carlin was funny though. Watch yourself.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Dude had a pretty nice meltdown:

quote:

[A man in the crowd yells "Freebird"]

Please quit yelling that. It's not funny, it's not clever; it's stupid, it's repetitive, why the gently caress would you continue to yell that? I'm serious.

[The same man yells back]

"Kevin Matthews"; okay, what does that mean, now? Now, what does it mean? I understand where it comes from, so do you. Now, what does it all mean? What is the culmination of yelling that?

[The same man yells back again]

Jimmy Shorts: he's not here, he's not gonna be here. Now what? Now where are we? We're here at you interrupting me again, you loving idiot. That's you. You see, we are here at the same point again where you, the loving peon masses, can once again ruin anyone who tries to do anything because you don't know how to do it on your own! That's where we're loving at! Once again the useless wastes of loving flesh that has ruined everything good in this goddamn world! That's where we're at! HITLER HAD THE RIGHT IDEA! HE WAS JUST AN UNDERACHIEVER! KILL 'EM ALL, ADOLF! ALL OF 'EM! JEW, MEXICAN, AMERICAN, WHITE, KILL 'EM ALL! START OVER! THE EXPERIMENT DIDN'T WORK! Rain 40 days, please loving rain to wash these turds off my loving life! Wash these human wastes of flesh and bones off this planet! I pray to you, God, to kill these loving people!

[Someone yells out "Freebird" once more]

Freebird. And in the beginning there was the word, Freebird. And Freebird would be yelled throughout the centuries. Freebird, the mantra of the moron.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Carlin was definitely better than Hicks but he did sometimes get really angry and unfunny during his stand-up.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

a bone to pick posted:

Carlin was definitely better than Hicks but he did sometimes get really angry and unfunny during his stand-up.

I can forgive this as it gave Lewis Black an opening into the circuit

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I like hearing angry people yell about things I agree with sometimes though it's cathartic. I dunno if I'd go to a show but there have been a couple times during this election that I just put that 1-2 minute Carlin thing about voting/government on and it was good.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Was Sam Kinison actually funny or is he just like Bill Hicks in the sense that he got overrated because he died? I've attempted to watch Bill Hicks specials and he's alright but nothing worth caring about. I never felt like watching Kinison because even though other comedians say he's hilarious or whatever, all I've ever seen him do in clips is scream nonsense.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

Was Sam Kinison actually funny or is he just like Bill Hicks in the sense that he got overrated because he died? I've attempted to watch Bill Hicks specials and he's alright but nothing worth caring about. I never felt like watching Kinison because even though other comedians say he's hilarious or whatever, all I've ever seen him do in clips is scream nonsense.

I wouldn't say Kinison was famous because he died. Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay were playing sold out arenas in the 80s/90s and were pretty much rock stars.

Hicks gained popularity by being mentioned on a Tool CD and in the Preacher comics. He was dead before the Internet found him.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

proof of concept posted:

Gilbert Gottfried laughing hysterically at the very idea of Bill Hicks getting assassinated for his dumbass "edgy" opinions is by a large margin the funniest thing that Bill Hicks has ever been involved in, and Hicks was loving dead for years and had nothing at all to do with that bit as it was recorded whatsoever
gilbert gottfried is pretty funny. he has a podcast where he regularly talks about how cesar romero made boy toy-aged men throw orange wedges at his bare rear end

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Libelous Slander posted:

Ancient Dane Cook Secret

It's why Everybody Loves Raymond was in the top ten most viewed shows for its whole run while Arrested Development got canceled.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

gilbert gottfried is pretty funny. he has a podcast where he regularly talks about how cesar romero made boy toy-aged men throw orange wedges at his bare rear end

The Paul Lind one is better. This place smells like oval office......I think.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Any hour of bill burr's podcast is better than any hour of hicks, and he ad-libs that twice a week and distributes it for free.

Carlin was funny though. Watch yourself.

I really thought the "It's Bad for You" special was good stuff. The bit about the owners of the country is pretty poignant, even moreso now.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

I will forever credit Norm MacDonald's podcast for introducing me to the fact that Gilbert Gottfried is actually loving hilarious and isn't just the voice of various cartoon birds.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

I will forever credit Norm MacDonald's podcast for introducing me to the fact that Gilbert Gottfried is actually loving hilarious and isn't just the voice of various cartoon birds.
gilbert is legit funny as hell. his podcast is concerned with old Hollywood and i hardly ever know any of the guests beforehand, but i've never listened to an episode and thought that i was wasting my time

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Dice is funny as hell in a very dumb way (that's the joke.) Dude sold out MSG multiple times including at least once two nights in a row. He probably lives in a crummy row house in Jersey City or somewhere now though. The Day the Laughter Died is great because he just doesn't give a gently caress that no one's into it.

There was an old joke about why is Dennis Leary a star but not Bill Hicks? Because there's No Cure for Cancer. Doesn't really apply anymore and I'm using a stolen joke abou a joke thief, how meta. Hicks was a loving twat I don't want to listen to someone bitch about the government I can get three hours of that for free every weekday at noon when the president is a democrat.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Pecs On Spec posted:

Dice is funny as hell in a very dumb way (that's the joke.) Dude sold out MSG multiple times including at least once two nights in a row. He probably lives in a crummy row house in Jersey City or somewhere now though. The Day the Laughter Died is great because he just doesn't give a gently caress that no one's into it

He's a Vegas guy. He has a Showtime show about it, in the vein of Louie. It's not good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pecs On Spec posted:

Hicks was a loving twat I don't want to listen to someone bitch about the government I can get three hours of that for free every weekday at noon when the president is a democrat.
ah but you see, he thought that everyone running for government is a puppet, they just occupy different sides. he's an equal opportunity twat

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Hicks' delivery on that Reagan line is kind of chuckleworthy, but Norm's whole "But anyways, this man was murdered, that's the important thing. And...for saying what? *bursts into laughter* That Reagan should be murdered?" line was ten times funnier and basically illustrates the basic absurdity of Hicks' entire act and persona.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Gilbert was best on the Stern show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzA4pX6qnDg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQefXKwZRbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgm3fMz8L2Q

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Isn't he in Waking Life?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

The difference there is that Burr is genuinely a funny guy who is comfortable with who he is and his place in the world whereas Hicks was a guilty liberal who was constantly seeking validation to prove how right he was about his viewpoint.

gently caress him and every other "authority is bad right, RIGHT?!?!?!" comic. They all try too hard and still loving suck.

gently caress George Carlin as well, loving hack. We get it, the man is bad. Whatever, say something funny you loving rear end in a top hat.

You can always tell who the funniest man in the room is because he'll be the first person to bring up "the liberals"

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Bill Hicks didn't turn over material much when we was alive and it dropped off even further after that, so it's no wonder that it gets a bit stale after a while.

I think as Carlin got older he got less funny when he was railing against the man. Again, you can only make the same points so many times. However he was consistently great on pretty much every other topic he touched on. His bit in "It's bad for ya" about crossing out the names in the adress book is pretty much the perfect example of content, timing and delivery.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 30, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Gilbert is pretty infamous for being one of the first people to do 9/11 jokes, at Hugh Hefner's roast, and when the crowd started to boo him he did the classy thing and burst into a rendition of the Aristocrats.

He's a cool dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
sam kinison or gtfo

i would have loved to been able to party with that crazy son of a bitch

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 30, 2016

• Locked thread