Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

TheLightPurges posted:

That chef seems like a pretentious rear end in a top hat.

Well you went to his restaurant and are paying for his food? I guess if he throws you out you don't have to pay though but like, don't insult his cooking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Well, what else am I supposed to put on my well-done steak?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Arkanomen posted:

Well you went to his restaurant and are paying for his food? I guess if he throws you out you don't have to pay though but like, don't insult his cooking?

I paid him to cook the dish he described on the menu. What I do with it afterwards really shouldn't be his business. If he is so close minded about a complex sauce then that is his personal problem.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i do agree with the OP i think alot of peoples problems is their pallett has not been refined enough to understand the sauce. it is like how they probably get som fine cheese and say EW ITS STINKY lol

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I don't get mad at people that put ketchup on steak. I feel sorry for them because they were given a bad steak that needed ketchup to make it edible.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think what OP is really trying to say is "I have no idea how to choose a cut of meat or cook it properly so a super-bland condiment is like a taste explosion on the charred slab of boneless chuck I got on Manager's Special"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Everyone needs to keep in mind that ketchup is an awful condiment

just the worst

OP said himself he only puts it on cheap steak, so whatever, go nuts, just try to have a little more taste than to consume ketchup in any context whatsoever :colbert:

Now, BBQ sauce is basically ketchup with some loving effort put into it

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

kecske posted:

there is no food on this planet that is improved by putting ketchup on it

Regular burgers
Hot dogs
French fries (any potatoes really)
Corn dogs
Onion rings
My cock when your mom is blowing me

That said I personally do as little to a steak as possible. Though if I have some, eel sauce makes a good dipping side. I put that poo poo on everything.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Barbecue sauce and honey mustard are both vastly superior condiments to ketchup in every single one of those contexts :colbert:

for your dick maybe try "spicing it up" a little bit with some hot sauce ;) stronger the better I say

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

loquacius posted:

Everyone needs to keep in mind that ketchup is an awful condiment

just the worst

OP said himself he only puts it on cheap steak, so whatever, go nuts, just try to have a little more taste than to consume ketchup in any context whatsoever :colbert:

Now, BBQ sauce is basically ketchup with some loving effort put into it

BBQ sauce if anything is the 'pleb' sauce. Some rednecks just basically went to publix and blended every sauce they saw together and smeared it on good meat. Ketchup has 52 carefully balanced herbs and spices that took decades to perfect. And BBQ just blends a bunch of other better sauces into a slurry.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

i'm a real american and put sugar sauce on everything

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I concede that ketchup might be a perfectly fine sauce to use if you happen to not have the slightest idea what BBQ sauce is, sure

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
"The first known published tomato ketchup recipe appeared in 1812, written by scientist and horticulturalist, James Mease, who referred to tomatoes as “love apples.” His recipe contained tomato pulp, spices, and brandy but lacked vinegar and sugar."

i am going to refer to ketchup as love apple sauce from now on :grin:

sounds abotu right.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
lol if you eat anything besides mustard base bbq sauce, what a buncha R words

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
ketchup + bbq sauce is actually loving awesome though put that poo poo on everything

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Smash it Smash hit posted:

lol if you eat anything besides mustard base bbq sauce, what a buncha R words

hell yeah, sippin some of that poo poo through a crazy straw rn :cool:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

loquacius posted:

hell yeah, sippin some of that poo poo through a crazy straw rn :cool:

my dude.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

what kind of jabroni eats a steak plain?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
btw i made a thread to remind people how superior the gold standard bbq sauce is

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Doctor Dogballs posted:

ketchup is for pizza and pizza only

eggs

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
curry ketchup is good on sweet potato fries

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Steaks are the fedoras of food. People think having their steak a certain way makes them classy, and if you like it differently then they will insist on letting you know because they think they are objectively right.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
steak sucks just gimmie a hamburger

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Steaks are the fedoras of food. People think having their steak a certain way makes them classy, and if you like it differently then they will insist on letting you know because they think they are objectively right.

Look at this man who has never had a perfectly medium-rare, expertly seasoned steak with the perfect au-jus sauce on the side.

When you get a steak and smother it in ketchup do you ask for a side of sour grapes as well?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I must say that ketchup and well pounded cube steak go well together. That was the first steak I ever ate. Everyone has to be introduced to steak in their own way. When I was a kid it had to be well done, pounded, and served with ketchup.

Now, I prefer the "Yell at a cow, set it on fire, and eat it" method. I do use Worcestershire sauce though. (Bad Me)

I'm hoping to graduate to the "frighten the cow only" method but I'm not there yet. They moo too much...

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Arkanomen posted:

Look at this man who has never had a perfectly medium-rare, expertly seasoned steak with the perfect au-jus sauce on the side.

When you get a steak and smother it in ketchup do you ask for a side of sour grapes as well?

Au-jus lol.

Do you also ask to lick the grease pan when you go to McDs?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
if the steak is done right you dont need anything but utensils to eat it with

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

TheLightPurges posted:

Theres a dude who made a cookbook using his jizz as the main ingredient. I mean that's how most dudes clean up after baitin' but I'm not so sure as a food item. I'll try to be open minded.

I have made every recipe from Natural Harvest so many times I can now do them with my eyes closed. I sweat pure testosterone and am considered dangerously alpha in most countries. Cum cuisine is a fine art.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
maybe the thing is that most of yall have only had "fancy" ketchup? :rolleyes:

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

TheLightPurges posted:

Do you also ask to lick the grease pan when you go to McDs?

i didn't know this was on the menu

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Some folk jus' gotta be mad at sumthin, OP

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I don't get upset about it, you just have the palette of a child that's all. :shrug:

I'd only get upset if I was taking you to a nice place and you slathered ketchup all over the $100 steak like a degenerate but odds are we wouldn't be doing that together in the first place anyway!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Comprehensive list of things that are good for putting on steaks

Avocados

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
maybe y'all should train your palett to understand the complexities of KETCHUP

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TheLightPurges posted:

I don't understand why its a 'thing' that needs to be commented on, especially if they are not the ones eating it.

Ketchup, a sweet sauce, and steak, a savory meat item, go very well together when mixed to create a more complicated 'flavor profile'.

I understand some people are simple and just want to eat the steak with salt and pepper, and that's fine. But theres no need to get upset at others if they want a more complex dining experience.

Personally I only put ketchup itself on cheaper cuts of meat. For special occasions when I buy an expensive cut like ribeye or a NY strip I will make a ketchup reduction and glaze it over the meat. Very yummy!

you're joking

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Danger - Octopus! posted:

yeah it's not like "getting a steak well-done is a waste of money and meat because it sucks all the flavor out" is a nearly-universally shared opinion throughout the restaurant industry worldwide or anything :rolleyes:

Anthony Bourdain has said that he and a lot of other well-known chefs will specifically save the shittiest cuts for people who order steak well-done, because you'll never be able to taste the difference once it's been converted into a charred rock

e:

Anthony Bourdain posted:

“‘Saving for well-done’ is a time-honored tradition dating back to cuisine’s earliest days. … What happens when the chef finds a tough, slightly skanky end-cut of sirloin that’s been pushed repeatedly to the back of the pile? He can throw it out, but that’s a total loss. He can feed it to the family, which is the same as throwing it out. Or he can ‘save for well-done’—serve it to some rube who prefers his meat or fish incinerated into a flavorless, leathery hunk of carbon, who won’t be able to tell if what he’s eating is food or flotsam. Ordinarily, a proud chef would hate this customer, hold him in contempt for destroying his fine food. But not in this case. The dumb bastard is paying for the privilege of eating his garbage! What’s not to like?”

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"____ is the fedora of ________" is the fedora of metaphors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kelp Me! posted:

yeah it's not like "getting a steak well-done is a waste of money and meat because it sucks all the flavor out" is a nearly-universally shared opinion throughout the restaurant industry worldwide or anything :rolleyes:

Anthony Bourdain has said that he and a lot of other well-known chefs will specifically save the shittiest cuts for people who order steak well-done, because you'll never be able to taste the difference once it's been converted into a charred rock

if its so bad then why do they have it as an option? :smug:

• Locked thread