Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Frog Act posted:

the whole thing is about gay rights so i bet this would be a pretty good icebreaker really, maybe i could wear a pink triangle for laffs

Here's one: "all gay people deserve rights! And a couple of lefts too!" Then just start shadowboxing during the rest of the convention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Frog Act posted:

im also the only straight person on the stage, which isn't a problem or anything, but is an interesting inversino of usual proportions

Make sure to open with "My people, The Straights..." when it is your turn to talk.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
What everyone else said.

Practise the opening and the closing. These are the bits where people are most alert. If you open poorly, you'll lose the audience immediately. If you open well, they will be more forgiving if you make a mistake later.

If you're going to make any gestures (pointing at parts of a diagram on a slide, generally talking with your hands) make them large and sweeping. For example, don't pick out something with a laser pointer by shining it directly at the spot, make a circle around it instead. If your hands are trembling and you try to make precise movements, it will show up much more. It also means people at the back can see your actions. Even slightly walking around and gesticulating will hold people's attention longer than standing stock still.

If your mind goes blank, either take a sip of water or clear your throat and say 'excuse me'. Nobody will remember you even paused.

Good luck!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Me, uhhhhhh

I am.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Don't start with a joke, gently caress, that poo poo is for office meetings, not public speaking if you're concerned about talking in front of a crowd.

Lady Demelza has some good hand gesture poo poo, but assuming you're goony as gently caress, just don't put your hands in your pockets and you're set.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
huh, I don't know lemme see

*comes back in covered in my own vomit*

nope!

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

i give speeches to thousands of people at a time but I'm wearing a fursuit while doing it so that helps with the anxiety

my advice OP, get a fursuit

or maybe just imagine yourself in a fursuit while giving the speech hope this helps good luck

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i like giving talks, OP, and have one or two big talks a year in addition to other stuff (media, lectures, whatever).

Personally i never practice, i just go over slides or notes and ad lib a bit. The more I've practiced any talk, the worse it's been. Just ignore you have an audience and be yourself.

Otherwise get a time machine, go back in time, and do speech and debate and model UN in HS.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I'm actually a better public speaker than I am one on one or in small groups, it just feels less personal to me

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Don't start with a joke, gently caress, that poo poo is for office meetings, not public speaking if you're concerned about talking in front of a crowd.

Lady Demelza has some good hand gesture poo poo, but assuming you're goony as gently caress, just don't put your hands in your pockets and you're set.

Idk about that. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a standard thing someone should do, but I've always been impressed with and envious of people who manage to inject humor into their conference talks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am a very very good public speaker, and am sociable generally. :)

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Remember that everyone is only there either because they have to be, or there's a Lapras that spawned in the room and they're trying to catch it.

Mostly the latter.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

AugmentedVision posted:

Idk about that. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a standard thing someone should do, but I've always been impressed with and envious of people who manage to inject humor into their conference talks

do the zizek thing and tell a long, raunchy joke to punctuate one of your thousands of disconnected points

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I've given a few public speeches, believe it or not. I find it more awkward to talk while streaming video games than I do to stand up in front of a few thousand people. Your discussion is very guided by the topic at hand when you're giving a presentation.

There's no real trick. Know your subject, have a loose series of topics/details/whatever you are going to run through, and then take your time while speaking. I don't practice or memorize I just kinda do it on the fly, but I do outline the presentation and come up with things I want to talk about for each topic or slide. While prepping think about how you felt in the audience of the last one of these things. Then realize, no one actually cares that much unless it's a topic real interesting to them. And if it's a topic real interesting to them they are going to eat up the details and follow up on it later.

Works for me, but I tend to be kind of grating to the stuffier types who expect something hyper serious. On the other hand, I've received compliments for getting the material across well, not being boring as gently caress, and looking natural on stage. That last one was a little backhanded. I've only given presentations on physics/programming/oceanography stuff. No idea how good or bad I am, but I'm passable.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 4, 2016

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I'm actually pretty dang good. It's a bit late now but signing up for toastmasters is a great way to learn. They have clubs everywhere. Other than that my main tip is not to write a speech down to each line unless you have time to rehearse it and perfect speaking it naturally. If you don't than you are better off just being prepared in the sense of knowing your topic very well and having had conversations with people where you deliver the information. Keep it conversational and natural and smile.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I'm really good at public speaking but I'm not going to tell you what works for me because it probably won't work for you.

I'll speak as an audience member:

I came here to hear about the thing the program said the person was going to talk about. Oh you're good at public speaking and you've got a slick routine? I actually personally don't like that because the slicker the talk, the less information is conveyed.

Don't try and wow me with your smooth transitions and word-to-word slide changes. Just loving tell me about the thing the program or announcement told me you were going to talk about. You get stuck and stutter and stop from embarrassment? No worries. Take a second, gather your thoughts, and get back to telling me about slug migratory patterns or the new Management Initiative or new product or Q3 financials or whatever. Just loving tell me what you know about the thing you're talking about, as much information as you think I can handle, with as little bullshit as possible.

Please just get to the point and give me information. Don't try and be like some slick ~Ted Talk~. If you're comfortable and chill, ok. Nervous? Fine. Just do your best to teach me about the thing I came here for. Don't waste my time trying to impress me with stuff that has nothing to do with why I'm here. If I wanted entertainment I'd watch a comedy special.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I'm not even a good public poster, let alone speaker

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

DamnCanadian posted:

I think the best thing you can do is to keep in mind that your audience is there because they WANT to hear what you have to say; they're not there to rag on you. About the only time the latter is true is stand-up comedy. You know your subject; you're an authority on it; your audience is not. They're not there to critique you on the quality of your delivery. They're there for the content.

Anyway that's what works for me, and I've given dozens of public presentations. Good luck, you'll do fine.

This. I actually find public speaking relaxing, I'm more comfortable in front of an audience than most other situations.
When in doubt, just pee your pants... it deters any nitpicking follow up questions, and it's very relaxing.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
watch that episode of The Office where Dwight has to give a speech to salespeople and slays by mimicking mussolini

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
or just learn from the best

he's dictator of my heart :h:

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DamnCanadian posted:

I think the best thing you can do is to keep in mind that your audience is there because they WANT to hear what you have to say; they're not there to rag on you. About the only time the latter is true is stand-up comedy. You know your subject; you're an authority on it; your audience is not. They're not there to critique you on the quality of your delivery. They're there for the content.

Anyway that's what works for me, and I've given dozens of public presentations. Good luck, you'll do fine.

delivery does matter otherwise this is mostly right

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Just imagine you're in your underwear and the audience is clothed.

Make sure you have enough caffeine to be sharp but not enough to be jumpy, they'll notice that poo poo immediately.

Take a nip from a flask about five minutes before you begin, it'll hit the sweet come up right as you get up to the podium and you will be cool as a cucumber.

I've literally done a lot of AM radio.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Frog Act posted:

i'm sure there are some GBS posters who are eminent and important figures in their fields

*presents graduate level course on thermodynamics* now excuse me... *shitposts on the SA forums*

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
soz OP, there's no tricks, just practice. seconding toastmasters if you're gonna make it a regular thing.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Do you have to pay for toastmasters? Cuz if you do that's as dumb as a resume service

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
yeah idk about toastmasters, what got me confident about speaking in front of real crowds is dumb as hell, but it was large corporate conf calls. when u gotta run those 50+ person calls and there's some weirdos breathing heavy into their phone, some inconsiderate fucks not muting while they are in the airport or having side conversations, etc, then standing in front of so many people you can't even see them all gets easier

but I am still paranoid about making sure my fly is all the way zipped before I walk out lol

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Frog Act posted:

so I have to speak on a panel in front of between one and three hundred people tomorrow. i'm part of a group of four people reading a ten page narrative that i did a lot of the primary research for (and wrote the first draft of), which will serve as an introduction to the other panelists who will be taking questions. luckily i'm not gonna be speaking extemporaneously at all, which is good, because i'd probably just drop dead now if that were the case

anyway i'm absolutely petrified with anxiety, does anyone have some useful tips to keep me from breaking down completely? i've lectured college classes before, led 50 person study sessions, etc etc but this is entirely different and i am fuckin' scared as hell. please help me goons.

i am pretty good. i was in sales and did many presentations before C-level execs, board of directors, purchasing agents + staff and peoples. i also did debate in college and hs. i do implementation now and train in front of large amounts of peoples.

i dont have any tips for you just go up there and talk man

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Waroduce posted:

i dont have any tips for you just go up there and talk man

ultimately trying to teach someone to both understand a topic and present it smoothly, interestingly, sounds about as likely as those creepy websites that teach you HOW TO PICK UP MAD GIRLS AT THE TIP OF YOUR TRILBY

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

AugmentedVision posted:

Do you have to pay for toastmasters? Cuz if you do that's as dumb as a resume service

You pay to go through their course thing. I think after you get a bit more experience you end up paying mostly by your volunteer contribution as host or adjudicator. You can go to a few sessions for free, especially if you are there with a friend who is a member. It's the same as paying for singing lessons or doing an improv course. My main criticism of it is that it can become quite a responsibility and is even a little cult-like, rather than a more casual thing.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Frog Act posted:

i'm sure there are some GBS posters who are eminent and important figures in their fields

I'm sure a number will have honed their public speaking skills at 12-Step meetings like AA and Narcotics Anonymous, and many more will.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I stumble over words n stuff and probably sound like an idiot, but I don't give a gently caress who or how many people are listening. Which is kinda weird I guess because I have crippling anxiety about literally everything else

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

think about the fact that when you go listen to a panel or presentation you are usually either thinking about a.) the subject at hand or b.) some poo poo in your own life. I don't think i've ever gone to a conference and sat there scrutinizing a speaker's ability to speak well. that will most likely apply to your audience as well!

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

If prone to anxiety listen to music that will relax you. I listen to opera usually.

If audience remembers three things from all speakers combined you've succeeded. Think if only one thing they remember from your part what do you want it to be.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
don't do that thing where you put all of your weight kind of one one foot, then kind of all on the other foot. Just stand normal with an even weight distribution

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

my comfort level speaking to other people is directly proportional to the number of people

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Frog Act posted:

i've got a big bag of kratom extract

do NOT do that

you'd be better off sipping robitussin

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

don't do that either though, just let your eyes go soft and don't focus on any one thing in particular when looking at the crowd.

watch the kings speech

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

the correct answer is to have Faith, friend

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I give talks pretty frequently for my job and as long as you make it through it, don't go over time, don't go extremely under time, and don't say anything too stupid during the questions part, people will consider it an above average talk. They won't remember anything about it except maybe the title if you're lucky, but they'll still come up and say "good talk" during coffee breaks etc.

The key thing is when asked a question you don't know the answer to, deflect it. My go-to "I have no idea" answer is "that's something we're looking into and plan to address in the paper/in the future" or "that's a great question and I have a lot to say about it, so in the interests of time let's chat during the coffee break". Then just be conveniently not there during the next coffee break and they'll forget they ever had a question.

During the talk itself, most of the good tips have been covered already - don't have your back to the audience the whole time, at least occasionally look up at the audience in case there's a question, limit the umms as much as possible, if you're using a laser pointer use your other hand to steady it if you're hands get shaky when you're nervous (nothing is more annoying than "as you can see here" and the pointer is darting across the entire slide), etc.

Finally, never, ever use quirky slide transitions/sound effects, and never have a slide with music playing in the background. Some people think this will make their talk stand out, and it does, but not in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I give talks pretty frequently for my job and as long as you make it through it, don't go over time, don't go extremely under time, and don't say anything too stupid during the questions part, people will consider it an above average talk. They won't remember anything about it except maybe the title if you're lucky, but they'll still come up and say "good talk" during coffee breaks etc.

The key thing is when asked a question you don't know the answer to, deflect it. My go-to "I have no idea" answer is "that's something we're looking into and plan to address in the paper/in the future" or "that's a great question and I have a lot to say about it, so in the interests of time let's chat during the coffee break". Then just be conveniently not there during the next coffee break and they'll forget they ever had a question.

During the talk itself, most of the good tips have been covered already - don't have your back to the audience the whole time, at least occasionally look up at the audience in case there's a question, limit the umms as much as possible, if you're using a laser pointer use your other hand to steady it if you're hands get shaky when you're nervous (nothing is more annoying than "as you can see here" and the pointer is darting across the entire slide), etc.

Finally, never, ever use quirky slide transitions/sound effects, and never have a slide with music playing in the background. Some people think this will make their talk stand out, and it does, but not in a good way.

yeah but what it's a reeeeaaaally cool song?

• Locked thread