Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

quote this post to become my vassal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

greetings

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Civ3 was the worst civ and people who say it was the best are like people who think Voyager was the best trek.
Civ4 was objectively the best and had by far the best modding. Civ5 hamstrung the modding community and nothing but anime filled the steam workshop.
Classic civ is good
Civ2 is real good too
Civ 3 is garbage, civ5 is ok and has a lot of good ideas but lacks something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Node posted:

all I had to hear about civ 6 was 1UPT for me to give it the big ol' middle finger

gaaaah did they at least make the tiles smaller so there are more of them in the same amount of land relative to 5?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Baronjutter posted:

Civ3 was the worst civ and people who say it was the best are like people who think Voyager was the best trek.
Civ4 was objectively the best and had by far the best modding. Civ5 hamstrung the modding community and nothing but anime filled the steam workshop.
Classic civ is good
Civ2 is real good too

is civ3 any good?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Baronjutter posted:

Classic civ is good
Civ2 is real good too

Civ 4 Fall From Heaven 2 is peak civ. It never got better than that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i wish someone got the multimaps or whatever working

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

new phone who dis posted:

Civ 4 Fall From Heave 2 is peak civ. It never got better than that.

Exactly this. It's been dry heaves ever since.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
is there a postapoc civilization mod or anything that would be dope af

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Fall from Heaven 2 is both post-apoc and a fantasy setting. You're starting one of many extremely different fantasy civs out after an ice age. They range from Ice barbarians to death cultists to fire-worshipping orcs to Cthulhu-worshipping pirates.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fallout 4

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

gaaaah did they at least make the tiles smaller so there are more of them in the same amount of land relative to 5?

i can't answer that with certainty but everything looks bigger in the screens i've seen.

they did bring civ3 armies back, so you can "stack" a few units into one tile, but otherwise its still 1upt that the AI will undoubtedly have NO loving clue how to use. at least the AI understands how to use doomstacks like civ4

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
my favorite mod was civ 3: tanning salon tycoon

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

just ray posted:

my favorite mod was civ 3: tanning salon tycoon

did youname your civilization....

"Just Rays"? :3:

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx

did youname your civilization....

"Just Rays"? :3:

i was a wild injun

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Does the game stop when you achieve advanced space travel ??

Why can't it continue to Alpha Centauri ? They could just take the old game and re-texture it and give it out as a FREE add-on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Decebal posted:

Why can't it continue to Alpha Centauri ? They could just take the old game and re-texture it and give it out as a FREE add-on.

They did the whole re-texturing the game in space thing with civ5 except it wasn't free and it was real bad.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Decebal posted:

iirc civilization was once about prehistory to iron age in the mediterranean and i'd like a game where they really nail that

i think using the same game mechanics to go from a couple of dudes throwing rocks at each other to nuclear weapons stretches thr whole thing too far

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

They did the whole re-texturing the game in space thing with civ5 except it wasn't free and it was real bad.

But Alpha Centauri is one of the best games. How can just an graphical upgrade ruin it ? That new "space" game they made is different and poo poo.

I don't understand why they tinker with mechanics that are proven to work and are popular. Are they afraid better graphics are not going to be enough to charge people 60$ ? Chess has been the same for 1000 years. Battle Chess was a good improvement !

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Decebal posted:

But Alpha Centauri is one of the best games. How can just an graphical upgrade ruin it ? That new "space" game they made is different and poo poo.

I don't understand why they tinker with mechanics that are proven to work and are popular. Are they afraid better graphics are not going to be enough to charge people 60$ ? Chess has been the same for 1000 years. Battle Chess was a good improvement !

no one is going to give firaxis $60 to reskin alpha centauri.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

no one is going to give firaxis $60 to reskin alpha centauri.

I'd give that for a general updated version with modern quality of life stuff, better borders, some general overall improvements and tweaks. Ok well $30.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

new phone who dis posted:

Civ 4 Fall From Heaven 2 is peak civ. It never got better than that.

:agreed:

Ffh2 makes regular civ 4 look like the kiddy pool, and civ 4 is clearly the best vanilla civ game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nathilus posted:

:agreed:

Ffh2 makes regular civ 4 look like the kiddy pool, and civ 4 is clearly the best vanilla civ game.

ffh2 was the only time i ever saw an AI in civ 4 actually pursue a domination victory (and they got it, too)

standard civ 4 AI only actively tries to get space and culture. they can get diplomatic on accident

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
That first review in Korean is obviously a disinformation campaign by the DPRK attempting to take down capitalist glut Gabe Newell

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

glowstick party tonight posted:

That first review in Korean is obviously a disinformation campaign by the DPRK attempting to take down capitalist glut Gabe Newell

thats what we get for not letting kim jong un beta test half life 3

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
later tonight civ 6 gonna have me like

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

civ is ghetto slang for civilization

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

it was civ 4 imo

im encouraged by the fact that the lead devs on 5 said 'yeah there were issues here they were we're gonna do something about that next time' instead of just doubling down on mechanics that didn't really work that well like most other devs would

5 is still really fun though

i agree, 4 was the probably the best but 5 was also fun, and i bet 6 is going to be at least as good as 5. well, that's my review.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Nathilus posted:

The amount of time modders spent making FFH2 was mind-blowing. I don't think people have the attention span to do something like that for free anymore. Even when newer games try to encourage modding, there is nothing remotely on that scale.

Civ 4 was the golden era of gaming.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

does vassal include butt privileges?

Also while Civ 4 was very good I think 5 is so much more streamlined that I've sunk close to 500 hours on it as opposed to 3 or so games on Civ 4.

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 21, 2016

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nothing civil about this civilization

*gestures frantically towards crotch region*

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Hogge Wild posted:

isreal comes in a later dlc

i hope this is real

i would love to play as King Solomon

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i hope this is real

if you're even questioning the existence of the jewish state then you're traveling in the company of some unpleasant hombres

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

:eek:

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i love this game, so good. i like the addons to the cities industrial, commerce, like i like the different attritbutes leaders can get. i like to put mods on my copy,. i i like to mod this game, its fun with mods. do you have a favourite mods? heres mine: caveman to cosmos, clock (adds a clock), undo last turn, stackable units, add cigarette, makes the units have a cigarette. well i cant think the joker, the joker mod it adds the joker as a settler, i like the mod that adds xcom units. i like the mod that lets you have a different religion, dynamic emergent game play, chinese. korea, japan 4

edit forgot the fantasy mod, it makes it all snowy and you have to fight a snow god, and hes giant minions. you get a city but its hard. it snows a lot

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Moridin920 posted:

it was civ 4 imo

im encouraged by the fact that the lead devs on 5 said 'yeah there were issues here they were we're gonna do something about that next time' instead of just doubling down on mechanics that didn't really work that well like most other devs would

5 is still really fun though

The designer who admitted 1UPT was broken actually left Firaxis and is working on his own 4X game :(

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

if you didnt know, 4x refers to four letters that start with the word x, explore, explain, exchequer, explode

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

dide i can lift so many things over my head. heres a short list, gum, hair band, bottle (empty), keys, light weight chair, mug (empty), chicken, book (small)

edit sorry. wrong thread, sorry

edit 2: guitar (acoustic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lonesomedwarf posted:

dide i can lift so many things over my head. heres a short list, gum, hair band, bottle (empty), keys, light weight chair, mug (empty), chicken, book (small)

edit sorry. wrong thread, sorry

edit 2: guitar (acoustic)

lol

• Locked thread