Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Prude posted:

There is nothing but hubris and insolence contained within this post.

Fudge you, Cafe Rio is amazing :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Tokyo is really cool until you talk to people that actually live there, it's a very stressful area. Osaka and Fukuoka are more laid back Japanese cities.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oh come on you made that up

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Looks like we got a gaijin in this thread, boys!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
*Crashes plane into you for the glory of the sun god*

Admiral_Cola
Jan 11, 2012

Dave_Indeed posted:

Tampa is like slightly better than Baltimore.

I think we can all agree that Baltimore is the worst city in the history of man kind.

Anthony Bourdain account spotted.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dave_Indeed posted:

Baltimore is the worst city in the history of man kind.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kyoto > Tokyo

Florence > Rome

DC > Cleveland

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The Metro shutting down at midnight on weekends now doesn't help.

JFC, can't imagine how lovely traffic is on the weekends. Maybe it isn't top tier in coolness after all. :shrug:

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
Despite its crumbling infrastructure, Montreal deserves a spot in the top three. Its a hedonistic haven!

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Bagarthach posted:

Nah, if we're going international this time, it would be Naples. I mean, yes, there are "worse" cities in 3rd world countries, but Naples is a 3rd world city in a supposedly 1st world country.

Italy is really not a 1st world country. Like the north, mostly, but the south is pretty economically ravaged.

That said, the south is full of charming towns with great food and nightlife, old cobblestone roads, etc.

If we're going to do this serious posting, I don't think ranking cities would be that useful. Like some places are big enough that they have appeal for a variety of reasons, but there are some cities that are better or worse for different things. Maybe a tier list could work, or a city notes list with strengths / weaknesses of each place.

Berlin is really good though. Best club scene in Europe, even for people who don't like clubs elsewhere. Cheap food and drink. Affordable rent/property. Lots going on and a functional transit system. Great art scene and culture, although gentrification has been pushing them to Leipzig (and now to Lisbon).

I've heard Lisbon is becoming the next cool city and you can still get in on hipster ground floor if you go before it becomes widely known.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Chicago is one of the best yet also one of the worst cities ever.

Tokyo seems like it'd be a top-tier tourist destination, but I don't think I'd like to live there.

I really like to live in Seattle, but I don't think it'd be a top-tier tourist destination.

Has anybody been to Buenos Aires? Apparently it's the best city in the world.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
ive been a lot. Buenos aires a+

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

NYC is a toilet

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Lactose Is Wack posted:

NYC is a toilet

Yeah I really loving hate NYC. Also the museums/art galleries are extremely underwhelming for a city its size.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Lisbon, Edinburgh, Melbourne, Buenos

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The world's coolest city is whichever one I happen to be in at any given time

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
places that arent America can all just suck my drat balls

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Nooner posted:

places that arent America can all just suck my drat balls

South America is still America

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

EVIL NOONER posted:

South America is still America

ew gently caress I screwed that up then

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Once Miami is underwater and all the people have fled it will be number one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whooping Crabs posted:

It's a ghost town at night

That's why it's the best.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I live in Toronto and I think it's pretty great

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I mean you have to be rich to enjoy it but that's true of all the great cities listed

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
Honolulu domestically

Internationally Bruges

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Kitsunegari posted:

Honolulu domestically

How would Honolulu rate if it wasn't in Hawaii? I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks and skipped it completely, did I miss something good?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How easy is it to get weed in Hawaii?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Hot take: Den Haag > Amsterdam

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

BossTweed posted:

How would Honolulu rate if it wasn't in Hawaii? I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks and skipped it completely, did I miss something good?

Well Waikiki is amazing, but the inner parts of the city are kind of poo poo. But you can't get food like that anywhere else. The things those people do to spam

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Washington DC is the best

stop letting the secret out, let the seas of retards continue to flock to NYC, the bay area, or whatever and not ruin the good thing going here

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Philadelphia has shockingly good restaurants, both in quality and variety. If you think paying money for someone to prepare food for you is cool, then Philly is the coolest.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Philadelphia is one of the worst cities in America, they killed a hitchhiking robot, they refused to honor one of the greatest boxing champions of all time because of his race and instead built a statue to loving Rocky Balboa for like 20 years.

gently caress Philly

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 7, 2016

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are only four cool cities and they are, in order of coolness, New York, Bangkok, Tokyo and Berlin.

the lovely weather thousands of mainland chinese tourists and having to fight with locals non stop to not get ripped off did not endear bangkok to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I prefer Vienna and Prague to Berlin.

Berlin is a bombed-out wasteland that even Germans hate.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Yea I go to SF a lot but the city thats I've found myself enjoying the most is DC. But pretty much any city would be rad if you put in like 10 world class museums and art galleries. The transit system is real good too.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Psycho Society posted:

Yea I go to SF a lot but the city thats I've found myself enjoying the most is DC. But pretty much any city would be rad if you put in like 10 world class museums and art galleries. The transit system is real good too.

also fallout 3 was the best fallout

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Psycho Society posted:

i like that the DC metro and BART are exactly the same, like same train cars and very similar station layouts etc

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Psycho Society posted:

SF is a loving toilet, it is the worst city

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
i've been to around 50 countries in my life. the only time anyone attempted to mug me was in buenos aires. my friend that lived there, lived in a gated condo building with two security guards there 24/7. yes, it's europe in south america but there is a lot of petty street crime. also, the women are the coldest in the world, after italians.

i'm from near chicago, i used to tout it because it was so much cheaper to live in, compared with nyc, la and sf. now, the prices are slowly creeping higher and higher, while the amount of housing units decreases as landlords convert 6-unit buildings into 3-unit buildings. also, how many buttass cold winter can you endure before it gets annoying? also, the crime but most likely you're white and college-educated and only hear distant gun shots every so often to remind you that you live in a hypersegregated city.

i loved living in munich and vienna. i know that they are consistently ranked 1-2 in quality of life rankings. munich feels like an amusement park for some people but i never felt that way. incredible park near the city center with dozens and dozens of biergartens to drink in. the u and s-bahns are top notch, the trams are on point as well. vienna is quite beautiful, the entire city center is a UNESCO world heritage site and feels like one, large open-air museum. prague has way, way too many tourists, with a large portion of them consisting of annoying british hen/stag parties, drunk aussies, drunk american frat bois/PUAs and chinese tour groups clogging up every ingress/egress point in the city center. berlin, stockholm and copenhagen are also very nice and livable. my theory with euro cities is that if they are boring to visit (stockholm, copenhagen, munich, vienna) then they are great places to live. conversely, cities that are fun to visit (rome, florence, paris, edinburgh) would be a nightmare to live in. i lived in italy as well, so i can attest to the former.

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

stockholm seems like it would be a great place to live if you were a millionaire but otherwise very frustrating

• Locked thread