Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Freak 0 Danger 0 Savior +2 Superior 0 Mundane +1
Potential 2
Insecure - -2 to Defend or resist Influence

Bend! Duck! Do a barrel roll! It happens in midair, so it probably counts. The pirates are relentless, finding or making handholds with implacable metal fingers, chasing Max up to a rooftop like a lawnmower chasing a grasshopper.

In the midst of the mess, as Max darts up out of the way of clashing cutlass blades and comes to rest on the edge of a building, something occurs to him.

"poo poo! Of course! I keep going on like this, and I'll embarrass the Others into leaving me alone!" It's brilliant. Perfect. The grin of a robo-pirate heaves into view, weirdly mirrored by the sword slotted between its teeth, and Max further reflects that if she keeps going like this, the robots will chop her finely enough that she could be buried in a Thermos.

Max steps forward and balances on the pirate's head for a stylish second, and launches herself away from the robot swarm. The wind sings along with her pulse, with excitement providing accompaniment in spite of the mess she's making, as she hurtles toward a Rib Hut. Over the noise, a voice calls out: it's Momo!

"I forgot how to hero!" Max shouts into the wind. "Help!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

So I'm totally not entirely sure what's going on, but a few things are obvious - Max is kinda in trouble, and this chick with the guns and rocket launchers seems par for the course as far as our surprising help for the evening goes. Good thing I've got some amazing plans brewing, positioned on top of one of the park's skybuckets as it slowly chugs along with Mahakali floating right in front of me to shield me from attacks, the cables providing the perfect avenue for me to channel my powers through. Still not sure why I have shadow powers, but whatever - I'm getting drat good with 'em!

"Don't worry Max, I gotcha!" I declare to this whole half of the battlefield, giggling from atop my perch. She needs some help, and I just need to clarify one thing for this crazy-girl with the NRA membership. "YO! Keep your explosions away from my shadows! Otherwise hi I'm Momo, eager to destroy these Pirates of the Caribbean with you!" Don't wanna be rude after all - if random women wanna show up and help do this whole hero thing, that works for me.

Introductions made and priorities identified, this is almost too easy - this place has so many lights, all these dumb robo pirates are casting multiple shadows in tons of different directions. Keeping Mahakali in reserve for now, I just grin down at our foes, wink at Max, and then raise my hands. Gotta make this look cool after all... and did I mention their shadows? See, I'm pretty good with 'em! I know, everyone thinks I'm just the team's comic relief AND fan service, which to be fair I am! But I'm also a loving hero and all-around awesome, I've been through this often enough by now.

Fingers separated and arms outstretched, I making a ripping motion through the air, snagging my fingers together at the end and yelling "Shadow Snapdragons!" just as quite a few of these pirates' shadows rise up and start to rip at their owners. Max needs a breather after all, and lets see if this doesn't provide it!

<Rauri-phone> Momo Directly Engage Pirates
<Rauri-phone> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri-phone, 6+3 = 9
<Rauri-phone> Rad
+2 to danger roll came from assess answers, not that it matters as far as result goes. Choosing to grant Max an opportunity, but probably drawing their fire some unless we somehow generate another point of team and Max spends it to boost this roll - if she does, choosing to Avoid / Resist blows also.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 18, 2017

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Potential 2

It's the excitement of not-quite flight, the wind whistling past conspicuous ears and flapping vigorously at his tunic, that drags Max back on track again. That and a spark of guilt at the possibility of letting his teammates down, or worse. It's debatable if an elfy light show might strengthen Momo's skelebot-butt-kicking shadows, but better an opportunity taken than not.

With just enough presence of mind to put a bit of English on her launch, Max cuts a corkscrew through the air, valiantly struggling to keep arms straight against the wind. Triggers ring and hammers ripple, and in the misheard lyrics of a Billy Idol song, the elf rains hell from above in skeins of light.

[13:28] <Bieeardo> !r 2d6
[13:28] <Krysmbot> Bieeardo, 10 = 10
[13:28] * Bieeardo Kermit-flail

Freak +0, unleashing powers to smite the Robutt hordes!

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
I really apologize for the long break. I am happy to say that I've started at my new job, however, and updates should be much more easy now that I'm not doing 3 jobs all at once! If you want to drop, just let me know, else I'll forge forward!

Scene 1 - Halcyon Coasters, continued
Team: 1 - Influence - Masks Reference

Max and Momo: Shadows and shell casings fly, and smoke erupts from each bot as they flail in vain attempts at closing on the heroes. Soon, there's too much smoke to see - a few tense seconds pass, and the smoke clears, revealing crumpled piles of bolts and scrap metal (but no strange purple goo!). You did it! Arsenal lowers her rocket launcher, "Hmm... not bad!" She gives you both a flashy smile, then hops onto the nearest building, scanning for... something. What do you do?

Mirror Blade, Nightshade, and Bones: Mirror's blades and Night's... rubber ducks... are aided by sudden skeleton hands erupting from the ground. It's not nearly enough to take care of all the bots - but it is enough to give them pause. Almost as if as one, they pause suddenly... then fall to the ground, nuts and bolts scattering across the frozen ground. As you look closely, the goo is gone... whatever was animating these pirate bots is gone (and gone from the elkbear, too, if you bother to check). Fight... won? What do you do?

Nightshade: A familiar silhouette hops up onto a building on the other side of the plaza. Arsenal? What do you do?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior 0 | Superior -1 | Mundane +0
Potential 2/5 | Conditions: |

"Huh, guess they didn't have the spine to stick around! HA!" Bones yelled. He was a little miffed that they'd just run for it. Uggh. Now he felt all pent up. What a let down. Bones kicked viciously at a pile of scrap metal in front of him. He glanced at the girls. Nightshade and Mirror Blade, huh?. "Hey, sorry for not getting your names the first few times. It's pretty hard to hear over the sound of getting impaled." He rolled his shoulder, his bones shifting back to their normal size inside his ectoplasmic suit. "Speaking of getting stabbed. That looks like it hurts lass. I can try and seal it for a while, if it'll help? At least until we can get it looked at properly."

He put his finger to his com piece. "Bones to Momo, come in Momo. Our rust buckets just collapsed quicker then an 8 year olds dreams when he finds out Santa isn't real. How's things over there?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1 | Mundane: +0
Hopeless | Afraid | Insecure | Guilty | Angry
Potential: 1/5

Ha! We gottem! "I've got it bandaged up, if you can heal it that'd be great, otherwise I'm okay." I give the guy a smile though, since it was nice of him to offer. He's pretty handsome too, act-ohnohno it's her. I should have gotten out of where with Mirror Blade when I had the chance! I mean, it isn't like I don't like Arsenal, I do! She's great, and hilarious, and my friend, but uuuugh, I can't have it out there that I used to be a villain (anymore than it already is) and even worse, what is she going to think about me going clean? Probably give me a hard time and try to convince me to go back to being a villain again. Not what I need right now!

Bandage in place, I try to look inconspicuous with the others, standing with a wrecked picnic table and umbrella between me and my heavily armed old friend.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Potential 2

That was amazing really, really lucky that nobody got hurt in that barrage, Max tells herself as she lands, folding into a crouch on the balls of her feet and tips of her fingers. She imagines Mandragon saying it, for extra emphasis. Lucky.

Or maybe not bad, like the hot, probably crazy lady just said. Max smiles back. The expression hangs around for a bit, before the elf remembers herself... and the arboretum. poo poo. It'd be lousy form to ditch Momo, even if she does have shadowy backup.

"Um." Max pauses. That kind of sums the whole situation up, doesn't it?

"I think I saw something back that way," he continues, tilting his head to point an ear toward where the putative pixie went. "I don't think it's anything dangerous, but I should probably go and check it out. Maybe." Yes. A firm maybe.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Fre: +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: 0 | Sup: +3 | Mun: -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

That was awesome - my shadow powers are the coolest thing ever, Max more or less walked off the set of The Matrix by Peter Jackson, and between the two of us we just obliterated an army of pirate robots. Best of all, I haven't gotten Fascist-Punched into a wall yet, so yeah, this mission's going a hell of a lot better than the last one. Mahakali and I may be exchanging high fives right now, the pair of us kicking rear end all over the park.

Crossing my arms and grinning as I survey the devastation, both Max and this other rando weapon-girl both want to depart the scene... and I trust one of them to do so. Whatever that goo stuff is, it's not here, so that's two X-factors in play. "Gotcha Max, I'll report to Dear Leader and keep an eye on what's her face. Good luck!" Max is like, an old hero or something but they're young too, and also I sorta suck at remembering if they're non-binary or just switch? Basically, they're confusing to me, but I want to seem cool in front of them, so I'm letting them do their own thing and not protesting us splitting up.

Forming a bridge out of the shadows with a simple gesture, I take off towards Ms. Junior NRA, tapping my communicator to respond to Bones as I approach her, Mahakali floating behind me. "You can just talk over these like they're a phone you know, no 'come in' Momo stuff - but we're doing great~ Max is searching for something, I got eyes on somebody. Roger wilco over and out, good buddy~" There's also some snickering before I cut out.

Anyways, we've got a total unknown that did help us out, but is also clearly up to something - I'm usually up to something, I can tell the look on her face. Arriving on the roof next to her, I give her a quick wave. "So hey, I'm Momo. Superheroine. Any chance you're involved in what's going on here?" Mahakali looms behind me, though he's just being protective. "I'm sorta hoping to get all this crap cleaned up and maybe get to enjoy a ride or three," I snicker again, "with my boyfriend, so if you wanna just tell me if we gotta throw down or not, I'd appreciate it."

<Rauri> Momo Pierce Arsenal's Mask
<Rauri> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 8-1 = 7
What is she really planning?

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak +1 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential 1 / 5 | DOOM 1 / 5 | Conditions: Angry, Guilty, Insecure | Location: Halcyon Coasters Food Court

Mirror Blade slid a cold look out of the corner of her eye as Bones offered to seal Nightshade’s wound. If there was anything that Blade was qualified to do medically, stitching up cuts was high on the list … there was no sense in troubling a doctor, which was probably best for all concerned. Still, she didn’t say anything, instead focusing on keeping her breathing steady … her body still hadn’t caught up with her mind’s expectations of it. This was already the longest she’d gone at full speed, and she’d been liberal creating new blades as well. Now that the adrenaline was fading, she could feel exhaustion clawing at her, but as much as she’d love to just sit down she’d have to keep it up a bit longer.

Tch…” She prodded the mechanical pirate with one of her swords, turning her head slightly to examine its inner workings. The ooze, the purple slime that had been worked into the mechanisms before was … gone. How was that possible? She was sure she’d been dealing with some kind of creature that was using the machines as a protective shell, heck, one had bled all over her after all. If they were just gone though … maybe they’d been a manifestation of someone’s powers instead. Could one person control so many combatants? Well, they hadn’t been particularly good combatants, but still, it didn’t seem feasible.

Getting possessed by a centuries old ghost ninja, however, had seemed similarly impossible once. She had to accept that there were always going to be things outside of her experience.

She crouched down and laid a hand on one of the machines, closing her eyes. There had to be something left of the mind that had driven these machines, right? She had jitsu for altering memories, and her blades were psychic constructs … maybe she could work out some kind of psychometry? Pick up a mental imprint of whoever was responsible … her cover was blown, but people were missing, she didn’t want this whole investigation to be for nothing.

Mirror Blade marks the Doom Track to activate Infinite Powers, borrowing Supernatural Senses from the Janus Playbook
[14:01] <JusticeGrieves> Mirror Blade tries to Unleash Infinite Powers
[14:01] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+1
[14:01] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 6+1 = 7
I’m in a pretty bad way, the GM is going to have to tell me how the result is unstable or temporary.

Incidentally, does the goo disappearing include the stuff that had bled onto Blade earlier? Just wondering if her current outfit is a write-off or not.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 30, 2017

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Freak +3 | Danger +1 | Savior 0 | Superior -1 | Mundane +0
Potential 2/5 | Conditions: |

"Ha ha ha, cheeky sod." Bones thought to himself, but couldn't quite keep the smile off of his ectoplasmic face. God, what was it about Momo that made him so happy? He put the phone away. And properly looked for the first time at the two girls. His eyes lock onto Mirror Blade and he stops dead.

Okay, every time he stops he stops dead, but it's a well established turn of phrase and you know it.

"Lassie... what the hell are you?" He murmurs, he can't help but see the... thing, hovering around her. A loa, but connected to her? No no no no no, that was wrong and freaky... that was new. Especially when it looked back at him. So it had a mind of it's own. It was a dead thing. A really really old dead thing. That was weird. Separate from it's host...

"Mirror Blade... you- huh, you know what, never mind. That can wait until we're in a more private setting." It could wait. She'd at least earned herself a chance to explain herself. Plus, it's not like he, the actual walking skeleton, was in any place to judge anyone else.

The goop, was much like his ectopasm. The way it faded into nothingness once it was done with, leaving no trace. That couldn't be a coincidence. But for now he'd watch over these two. At least until he got some kind of update as to what the hell just went down. Speaking of which...

Bones pulled out the tablet. Keying a message though to the security chief.

quote:

Had a fight with one angry elk robot and a bunch of angry pirate robots too. They collapsed into parts without warning. Danger seems to have passed. Need info.
Bones

Then he waited for a reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak +1 | Danger +1 | Savior +1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0
Potential 1 / 5 | DOOM 1 / 5 | Conditions: Angry, Guilty, Insecure | Location: Halcyon Coasters Food Court

Oh yeah, I suppose you could see that … hmn …

Mirror Blade’s specter looked back at Bones, the dark hollows of her eyes regarding Bones with a kind of bemused smugness. There was definitely something wrong about her. Strangely for a ghost, she bore no wounds that would suggest a violent end, but more telling was the lack of a face. Normally, such a damaged sense of identity would suggest that the ghost was on its last legs, but this one was still projecting a full-body manifestation. Rather than a spectral transparent white, it seemed fairly solid, glowing with the same violet light of Mirror Blade’s swords as it floated easily around her. Its clothing was dark and utilitarian, armored inserts and a fine steel mail apparent giving the impression of…well, a ninja embarking on combat operations, a long black ponytail the only real indicator of the woman beneath.

Mirror Blade’s lips pressed together with concentration, a trickle of sweat crawling over her forehead. The specter watched her with interest for a few moments, before slowly leaning over her. One hand lightly traced her chin as she leaned in close, the space where her lips should be hovering around the girl’s ear. The other hand light took Blade’s, fingers working to shift the position of her hand, guiding her into making the appropriate seal. There was a gentle whisper, low words coming out with the sound of silk over seal.

“Psychic release…Keiji no Jitsu.” Mirror Blade murmured, a pulse running through her own spiritual energy into her watcher, then flowing back again. The faint glimmer of violet in Blade’s eyes grew to a steady glow as she entered a kind of trance that would enhance her receptiveness to psychic impressions. The ghost rose up again, away from her ear to regard Bones silently, rubbing her chin in pantomimed contemplation.

• Locked thread