Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
1911 was good enough for Big Boss and that's really all you need to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

A misanthrope posted:

go with a nice simple colt 1911 like i got. it's what the government G Men and the army men carried

i've never shot a 1911 do they still just produce it as an updated military pistol or are there like .22 or .38 variants?

not sure how i feel about .45 even though i like the design

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

extra stout posted:

i've never shot a 1911 do they still just produce it as an updated military pistol or are there like .22 or .38 variants?

not sure how i feel about .45 even though i like the design

The updated "basic government model" is actually called the 1991 now. it's the one I've got pictured in the OP. Basically what Colt has made for 100 years with some slight updates for safety.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/36291/Firearms/Handguns/Colt/Colt+O1991+1991+Series+7%2B1+45ACP+5

Have you shot a .45 before? The good thing about getting a heavy Colt like the 1991 is it makes the recoil a non-issue. Thing doesn't jump much.

Who What Now posted:

1911 was good enough for Big Boss and that's really all you need to know

gently caress yeah :krad:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
For real though I wish I had money to buy one they are dope guns and the USMil was dumb to move away from them to an inferior sidearm.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

A misanthrope posted:

The updated "basic government model" is actually called the 1991 now. it's the one I've got pictured in the OP. Basically what Colt has made for 100 years with some slight updates for safety.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/36291/Firearms/Handguns/Colt/Colt+O1991+1991+Series+7%2B1+45ACP+5

Have you shot a .45 before? The good thing about getting a heavy Colt like the 1991 is it makes the recoil a non-issue. Thing doesn't jump much.

gently caress yeah :krad:

i shot a friends .45 once but beyond recoil i just dont like knowing i then have to either carry around ear buds or injure my ears

(yes i know that even a .22 is at the decibel level to do mild to permanent ear damage but i am a careless retard)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
guns rule i no longer care about fellow liberals screaming about my murder cannon

wife just got me a lil range bag and im throwing stuff in it today
also enjoy the curious chinese socks and the cat

thing shoots like an italian sewing machine lubed with butter churned from the devil's titmilk, so good

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

pictured: me.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

extra stout posted:

i shot a friends .45 once but beyond recoil i just dont like knowing i then have to either carry around ear buds or injure my ears

(yes i know that even a .22 is at the decibel level to do mild to permanent ear damage but i am a careless retard)

yeah that little gun in the OP is like the tiny Men in Black gun because it doesn't look like anything but it is loud as poo poo and will kill you dead as poo poo. Just a .22 mag.

if you are practice shooting, just wear earbuds, which you probably have on you anyway. That's what I do and my hearing is fine. If you have to shoot the thing to save your life or whatever then you have more problems than worrying about your hearing.

Jonny 290 posted:

guns rule i no longer care about fellow liberals screaming about my murder cannon

wife just got me a lil range bag and im throwing stuff in it today
also enjoy the curious chinese socks and the cat

thing shoots like an italian sewing machine lubed with butter churned from the devil's titmilk, so good

nice gun nice cat

dreezy posted:

pictured: me.

double nice! kill whitey

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have had an unrestricted licence to carry in my DEMONCRATIC state for almost a year but don't own any guns. I wouldn't say I'm liberal but people should have housing and not be starving p basic imo

What's a good babbys first gun

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

myDad posted:

I don't identify as those things but here is a gun I own

Wired trigger lock

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is the Pants Policy for this thread?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Just use glorious hanzo steel to protect yourself like a real man and you don't have to worry about your hearing.

Guns are toys and lmao if you defend yourself with a toy.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What's a good babbys first gun

for real these little guns are cool and easy

https://www.google.com/search?q=nor...biw=960&bih=450

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I want to get a Henry Big Boy .38 Carbine and a rocking chair

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

What is the Pants Policy for this thread?

are you asking if i am wearing pants? if i'm wearing dirty hillbilly pants and using twine as a belt? maybe

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My penis is pretty small friend I'm going to need something bigger than that

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am a bit more high tech, I have an extension cord

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when you roll dropleg, you roll pants-optional. HTH

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I like the vintage MAD magazines OP, good show.

guns are sweet, and so is freedom! liberalism is great, live and let live I say

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Here are two of my favorite handguns: a surplus Browning Hi-Power, and one of my less common ones, a Walther P88

I don't tell people I own guns, but when others on the left ask why I have so many I usually say "because I have a small dick" and most of the time that works

Professor Shark posted:

Those are really fun

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

they are not too expensive dude and look like they would scare away neighbors/cops/cps just fine. you should do it!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My penis is pretty small friend I'm going to need something bigger than that

if you went to a guns store and asked, they would tell you this gun:

http://www.gunbuyer.com/p-53941-springfield-xds-9mm-essentials-33-barrel-black-8rd.aspx

or this gun:

http://www.gunbuyer.com/p-53939-springfield-xds-essentials-45-acp-33-barrel-black-6rd.aspx

i would tell you the same. small and cheap and easy and powerful.

Professor Shark posted:

I am a bit more high tech, I have an extension cord

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

walgreenslatino posted:

Those are really fun

Yeah you can't beat a good rocking chair

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gliders have better action, reloading is easier

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

walgreenslatino posted:

Here are two of my favorite handguns: a surplus Browning Hi-Power, and one of my less common ones, a Walther P88

I don't tell people I own guns, but when others on the left ask why I have so many I usually say "because I have a small dick" and most of the time that works

nice guns! tell other people on the left you own guns for when the revolution comes and we will eat the rich

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm a Canadian liberal and I went to try shooting pistols with a buddy this summer because it seemed like a good way to kill an afternoon. Tried a P226 and a Glock 17. I liked the P226 better because its trigger and sights felt nicer to me, but both were cool. Speaking of sights, trying to aim at a specific small target made me feel like I had Parkinson's cause I'd stare down the sights and see every small shake of my hand.

Thing that surprised me as someone who knows nothing about guns: that neither had manual safety switches. I feel like movies and media make a big deal about SAFETY OFF and poo poo but I guess tech against accidental discharge is good enough now that the emphasis is on "don't be an idiot with
the trigger, you loving moron".

Any ways it was fun and I can kinda see the appeal but I'm mostly just interested in target shooting so a compact metal death machine is kinda overkill. But big bang = more fun I guess. I like the idea of hunting some fresh game meat and cooking it myself but the sit around for a day and hope a deer walks by part seems really boring. So I probably won't be shooting anything again any time soon but hey it's off the bucket list now.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

attackmole posted:

I'm a Canadian liberal and I went to try shooting pistols with a buddy this summer because it seemed like a good way to kill an afternoon. Tried a P226 and a Glock 17. I liked the P226 better because its trigger and sights felt nicer to me, but both were cool. Speaking of sights, trying to aim at a specific small target made me feel like I had Parkinson's cause I'd stare down the sights and see every small shake of my hand.

Thing that surprised me as someone who knows nothing about guns: that neither had manual safety switches. I feel like movies and media make a big deal about SAFETY OFF and poo poo but I guess tech against accidental discharge is good enough now that the emphasis is on "don't be an idiot with
the trigger, you loving moron".

Any ways it was fun and I can kinda see the appeal but I'm mostly just interested in target shooting so a compact metal death machine is kinda overkill. But big bang = more fun I guess. I like the idea of hunting some fresh game meat and cooking it myself but the sit around for a day and hope a deer walks by part seems really boring. So I probably won't be shooting anything again any time soon but hey it's off the bucket list now.

"the best safety is between your ears"

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I have been on the fence about picking up a .22 or 9mm specifically for taking to a range just to get out of the house a bit more.

Does anyone have cool .22's they would recommend?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Meridian posted:

I have been on the fence about picking up a .22 or 9mm specifically for taking to a range just to get out of the house a bit more.

USFA ZIP .22 LR

you are in the future now. what is the future like, future man?

the real answer is something like this:

Taurus .22 revolvers are cheap and fun to plink with. I have one and I like it

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

A misanthrope posted:

USFA ZIP .22 LR

you are in the future now. what is the future like, future man?

the real answer is something like this:

Taurus .22 revolvers are cheap and fun to plink with. I have one and I like it

I would shoot both of these guns.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Don't buy Taurus anything if you like having fingers please

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I fuckin hate my fingers, sign me up

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

various cheeses posted:

Don't buy Taurus anything if you like having fingers please

half the fun is wondering if you get to go home with fingers

ok if you want a step up from taurus (actually like 5 steps up):

Rugers or Smith & Wessons are good. Here's a S&W .22 that costs so much money you might as well buy a bigger caliber gun:

For real tho don't count Taurus out. They make knockoffs of more expensive guns but for the most part they do a competent job.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I own a gun but I think the government should give me free stuff

am I a liberal gun nut

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

What about the non revolver side of things?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I wish the government gave me money to buy more guns and gun accessories

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a leftist and I own a gun.

Yes it's a Mosin.

Liberals and Conservatives are morons for fighting over guns. It's a loving amendment, it's not going anywhere. Then again the NRA loves fear mongering and it gets them sweet sweet donations from pansy-rear end right-wingers.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I own a gun but I think the government should give me free stuff

am I a liberal gun nut

you are a normal person because gently caress yeah guns and free stuff!!

back to .22 talk: Get a .22 mag gun because .22 mags are the most powerful .22 and you can get these sweet critical defense rounds that will send Trump Troopers running when they knock down your door to take your EBT cards and Hispanic wives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f79ejNnewdA

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meridian posted:

.22 Heritage Rough Riders are hella cheap revolvers, and their not garbage quality.

I love the look of Walthers so I would suggest the P22. It's a beaut in my humble opinion. Found a silly one on imgur:

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 21, 2016

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Meridian posted:

What about the non revolver side of things?

you could get a .380 Ruger LCP

cheap and small

or a SR22 if you still want a .22

they sell for under $300 and people say they're one of the best .22 handguns

a misanthrope fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Congrats on the forum cancer

• Locked thread