Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
We didn't have to go to Shiva. Shiva came to us.

apparently I live in Shadow Moses

We pick up a pair of Mythril Swords in the tower, and also an Elixir or two. In general, Elixirs will flow like water this run, we'll be stealing enough to see a lot of rare steals.

SHIVA :nattyburn:
HP: 1500
Level: 11
Weakness: Fire
Stealable: Hi-Potion, Fenix Down
Attacks: Blizzara (~75), Blaze (~250 plus Slip)

ICE COMMANDER
HP: 400
Level: 4
Weakness; Fire
Stealable: Mythril Sword
Attacks: Physical (~75), Critical (~75, huh.)

The good news about this fight is that we don't have to worry about stealing.

The bad news about this fight is, well. We didn't farm any Flame Rods, because RicardMage likes to cast 200-damage Vampire, but if we had...

Imagine a different, redder animation here. Shiva has innate Reflect.

And Blaze is an ability rather than a spell, so even Silence Sword doesn't stop her.

Shiva's AI loop is very simple; Blizzard on positions 2 and 4, Blaze on positions 1 and 3, repeat, and cast on the other pair if both targets are dead. Knowing all of this coming in, we have;
Butz: Mystic Knight? Sorcerer? gently caress it I'm gonna call these guys Rune Fencers based on their only other appearance in series/Dbl Grip - This is my only way to get Fire damage onto Shiva.
Lenna: RDM/Time Magic - Could just as easily be Time Mage with Red; healer/buffer in one of the safe rows.
Galuf: MNK/Summon - First and foremost, we desperately need a Monk's HP pool in row 1 or 3 to survive Blaze. Summon lets him use Sylph to do slightly better than a full-party Cure while also inflicting an attack worth of damage.
Faris: RUN/Dbl Grip: Same logic as Butz, except not doomed.

The first order of business is to wipe out the Commanders, since their random targeting and ability to dogpile characters is just too dangerous. Thankfully, Fire Sword oneshots them.

Galuf gets Sylph out.

Blaze takes down Butz, but Galuf lives long enough to revive him. And since Fire Sword sticks through death...

Shiva's second Blizzara can't quite kill Lenna or Faris because of the Sylph heal. Even if Faris went down, Butz would also get another attack, and since we only need three Shiva goes down easy. As in, on the fourth savestate load rather than the fortieth.

We also could have done this I guess.

Taking a quick break for ~esports drama~; later tonight really this time rather than waiting on the snow to start it's off to Karnak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mandoric posted:

Taking a quick break for ~esports drama~; later tonight really this time rather than waiting on the snow to start it's off to Karnak!

I sincerely hope we don't have to fight Rubicante instead of Liquid Flame. On the other hand, I will be surprised if we don't fight Rubicante instead of Liquid Flame.

Also, could just go with the FFRK take on the job class, which is just "Spellblade", off their skillset. :v:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Why does Shiva cast blaze? Seems weird thematically, though I guess it is a rom hack.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

WarpedLichen posted:

Why does Shiva cast blaze? Seems weird thematically, though I guess it is a rom hack.

"Blaze" is a hideous, hideous mistranslation. The grey "Blaze" ability (not to be confused with the actual red/orange Blaze ability that Liquid Flame uses) in both the RPGe translation and PSX official translation is retranslated as Frost in the GBA version, and is ice-elemental despite the palette effects on damage.

I'm not sure why both early takes translated it as that; possibly a bad ability-name pointer when the skill got used?

EDIT: Contrast Blaze on the left with "Blaze" on the right.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 13, 2017

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

KataraniSword posted:

"Blaze" is a hideous, hideous mistranslation. The grey "Blaze" ability (not to be confused with the actual red/orange Blaze ability that Liquid Flame uses) in both the RPGe translation and PSX official translation is retranslated as Frost in the GBA version, and is ice-elemental despite the palette effects on damage.

I'm not sure why both early takes translated it as that; possibly a bad ability-name pointer when the skill got used?

EDIT: Contrast Blaze on the left with "Blaze" on the right.

It's a Square Being Weird thing. FF4 Blaze was also Ice-elemental, and the FFT Blaze Gun not only does it but has a corresponding Glacier Gun that shoots fire; all of these are accurate translations from the Japanese versions, and the Ice typing was even kept when adding Mini-Blaze.

Japan seems to rationalize it as "probably freezer burn".

Ironically, Liquid Flame's should probably just be Flame.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 13, 2017

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
(I slipped in a trip to raid Tycoon here, but forgot to capture it. Whoops. Well, we've got a katana that's only useful for Dbl Grip hijinks, a bell that may be marginally useful against low-MDef enemies, and the Healing Staff.)

The hike to Karnak is unrema--

Oh, HELLO there, Intangir!

We'll be leaving you alone for now.

The Wild Naks still have the same Blue Magic, but it's been renamed from ???? to Revenge to match FF6. Either way, we've got it now too.

We roll into Karnak, where everything in the shops is deep-discounted to lure us into triggering a cutscene because of the booming Crystal-based economy. No matter what we buy, we'll be arrested, so may as well grab the most expensive item.

After we're sprung out, we go back and pick up some of the more vital buys - in particular, tier 3 Black and White magic plus tier 2 Time magic. Weapons and armor, not so much (though we already have a decent arsenal from Worus mobs.)

The ship has two new monsters:

Alert is visiting from FF4, but sadly didn't bring along the Alert item. We can farm them for Elixirs instead if we get desperate, but it would have to be pretty desperate as they alternate between Targeting and Mustard Bomb.
They replace Defeater and also have the gimmick of spawning Motor Traps if they're the last to die.

Ship Guard is a palette swap of Lil'Chariot. It doesn't do much other than cast Thunder or we wouldn't have this problem to begin with.
We grab Flash from the Crew Dust, but don't bother with Exploder from the Motor Traps because honestly. Other than that, there's very little remarkable until...

RUBICANT :pervert:
HP: 11250
Level: 15
Weakness: Ice (when mantle is open), Slow
Absorb: Ice (when mantle is closed), Fire
Attacks: Critical (~400), Glare (~350 to all), Emission (~200, Blue Magic), Fire (~75 to all, counter physical when mantle open), Blizzara (on self, counter Summon) or Scorch, Flamethrower, and Flame for those of you who played FFIV translations that made sense
Steal: Flame Edge
AI: Critical, Glare, close mantle, Emission, open mantle + physical

There's the brute-force way which should be obvious but will be terrible for us in the near future, the other brute-force way which should also be obvious, and the stylish way. Guess which one we want to go for, and guess what it is?

--

PARTY STATS:
Butz Lv13 KNT3/MNK2/THF4/RUN2/TIM2/SMN2/BLU3/RDM4
Lenna Lv13 THF4/RUN2/WHM4/BLM3/TIM3/SMN2/BLU2/RDM4
Galuf Lv13 KNT2/MNK2/THF4/RUN2/WHM3/TIM2/SMN2/BLU2/RDM4
Faris Lv13 KNT3/THF5/RUN1/WHM3/BLM1/SMN2/BLU2/RDM4

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Gonna guess the bad brute force way is leveling to 15 for goblin punch and the other brute force way is ice rods? Elegant way might be using summons and making him kill himself?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Gonna guess the bad brute force way is leveling to 15 for goblin punch and the other brute force way is ice rods? Elegant way might be using summons and making him kill himself?

Yeah, I'd say Shiva spam while the cloak is open - Hit weakness, he counters by double-hitting his weakness. That said: He's vulnerable to slow. Slow is stupidly broken in all the 16-bit games, when it works, because in most cases it doesn't wear off unless you cure it (with dispel, or by casting Haste on yourself).

Guess who has access to Time Mages now?

Should only need one for this, though two would work great. Slow Rubicante, Haste your Summoners (and Shell them if you can - squishy mages don't like Glare), Spam Ice Rod Boosted Shivas. Hope Emission hits someone with Learning, since getting it this early on is a surprisingly huge boon - you usually don't get it until the leadup to the Sol Cannon fight. With Slow on him and Haste on your dudes, he should only ever close his robes once.

Sadly, you can't get to the library until after the steamship. That LEVEL: 15 there is looking mighty tantalizing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KataraniSword posted:

Sadly, you can't get to the library until after the steamship. That LEVEL: 15 there is looking mighty tantalizing.

Seriously, that was my first thought. Then again, I tend to try to solve all problems via Death By Math. (insert your favorite .dd quote here). :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So, does he not have a Steal interaction here?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Simply Simon posted:

So, does he not have a Steal interaction here?

Looks like he doesn't have the Fire counter he had in FF4, I don't see why they'd add the weird interaction he had in the DS version and not that.

(For those curious: In 2D FF4 - the SNES/PSX/GBA versions - Rubicante's a real sporting guy; if you cast a Fire spell on him when his mantle's up, he counters by casting Raise on your team. It's a good emergency button except for the fact that the only two people in your team at that time that can use fire-elemental attacks are your two squishiest. In the 3D versions, using Steal on him instead toggled his mantle up or down.)

EDIT: Ah, I see, the summon "counter" was in the 3D version, too.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 13, 2017

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
This is probably a good time to clarify, the statblocks I've been giving are scouting reports rather than guide entries. :ssh:

So yes, Fire interaction is there (because the puzzle is basically remembering his FF4 personality and AI script), but no Steal isn't (amusingly this makes far more sense in English where Sneak and Steal are "different".)

You're right about why Punching would be unfortunate, though!

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Man, I just discovered this but the 'collective puzzle' aspect of this is cool as all get-out. Hope there's more to come!

• Locked thread