Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Isaac posted:

Is it like a kebab?

yes it is our version of a kebab brought to us by our version of swarthy brown likely drug dealing foreigners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
its my feeling that rice has no place in a burrito

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

the great deceiver posted:

after you edited your post to include more details and pics i am fairly convinced. all the signs of a good taqueria are there. actually i havent even been to the mission since before i went to prison so that would have been like 5 years ago, the only taqueria i really remember there is el faro.

I've been through SF three times and each time made a point to go through Mission and have Burrito -- it's possible I didn't get the best one in the world there and honestly the TU burrito is a slightly different style than the Mission ones but I think it's a huge mistake in general to think of Mexican food as one style of food -- it's like Thailand where the food changes pretty radically as you move around in the country while still being distinctly of that country. Anyway I would be willing to admit upon finding one that there was a better burrito in the Mission but would be shocked to my core about it. TU was a singularly excellent taqeria the likes of which I don't think I'll ever find again.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tonight for dinner I had a chicken and broccoli burrito without the wrap (but with plenty of cheese because that's the way my mother makes it)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Irradiation posted:

That place looks like a dump so that probably is a good burrito.

If you go there in the AM the 14 year old daughter would be on the cash register wiping sleep out of her eyes. Only about a third of the pegboard menu on the wall was translated into English. They had menudo on the weekends. Oxtail stew on holidays. Tripa, pastor, cabeza, lengua.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Tonight for dinner I had a chicken and broccoli burrito without the wrap (but with plenty of cheese because that's the way my mother makes it)

How is it a burrito without a wrap that just sounds like a pile of chicken and cheese

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Sheep-Goats posted:

Taqueria Uruapan in Portland Oregon makes a burrito that's twice as good as anything you'd find in the Mission. They changed locations (or maybe closed up?) years ago which was long after I left that pit of a city so I don't know if they even exist any more.

They don't have a bunch of loving options you just order the burrito and specify the meat. If you want salsa they've got an avacado based green one, a roasted red one and a firey tomatillo based one in big white buckets on a table that you can put on your drat self. The specials were written on a paper plate tacked up on the wall.

I don't know if this is them but this is what their burritos looked like

That place was really good

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

I've been through SF three times and each time made a point to go through Mission and have Burrito -- it's possible I didn't get the best one in the world there and honestly the TU burrito is a slightly different style than the Mission ones but I think it's a huge mistake in general to think of Mexican food as one style of food -- it's like Thailand where the food changes pretty radically as you move around in the country while still being distinctly of that country. Anyway I would be willing to admit upon finding one that there was a better burrito in the Mission but would be shocked to my core about it. TU was a singularly excellent taqeria the likes of which I don't think I'll ever find again.

thats absolutely right about mexican food. northern mexican food is a world away from what you will find in say michoacan or the yucatan or whatever. the burrito as we know it today tho is a purely californian food- it was invented in san francisco, hence the term "mission burrito". so gently caress off san diego with your bullshit claims of burrito supremacy

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

paging chinatown to go gently caress himself

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

This place is really good I eat tacos from here a couple times a month. The burritos are huge though and last through lunch & dinner.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

myDad posted:

This place is really good

Probably really fresh, too

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

Is it like a kebab?

A pita sandwich from a cheap Greek is hell, the kebab is purgatory, the burrito lies in paradise. Everything that is wrong about the kebab (not exciting, barely foreign, often made from premade purchased meats, bland sauce) is fixed in the burrito if the burrito is done correctly. And almost everything that is good about the kebab (size of a rugby ball, cheap, tastes better the more you've had to drink) is present in the burrito as well.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

myDad posted:

That place was really good

Do you know if they moved or closed? Nobody seems to know. I would like closure.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Sheep-Goats posted:

Do you know if they moved or closed? Nobody seems to know. I would like closure.

Idk man I was only there for a couple years

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I found this chevron gas station thats run by these mexicans who dont speak english. I was sketched out at first but god drat if they dont make the best breakfast burrito I've ever had. This place is in the middle of nowhere farmland.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Virginia Slams posted:

I found this chevron gas station thats run by these mexicans who dont speak english. I was sketched out at first but god drat if they dont make the best breakfast burrito I've ever had. This place is in the middle of nowhere farmland.

There's a place in the Bronx that operates out of a gas station that makes really great Dominican food. That neighborhood is legit bad news though and I'd never walk through there or to there or whatever. One of the few remaining bad news areas of NYC. Directly across the street is a boarded up abandoned apartment where they found a girl chopped up with an axe and her bodyparts strewn around plus I think there was a gang member who got burned up in a steel barrel (I presume after the shot him) around the corner. Just a few blocks south it's all small groups of 16-18 year old black teens wearing puffy coats in the summer with a hand in their waistband.

I forget the cross streets right now I'd have to look it up.

This is it right here: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...KT8gUbWkxoZkc3g

In the BP station

raton fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 31, 2017

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

There's a place in the Bronx that operates out of a gas station that makes really great Dominican food. That neighborhood is legit bad news though and I'd never walk through there or to there or whatever. One of the few remaining bad news areas of NYC. Directly across the street is a boarded up abandoned apartment where they found a girl chopped up with an axe and her bodyparts strewn around plus I think there was a gang member who got burned up in a steel barrel (I presume after the shot him) around the corner. Just a few blocks south it's all small groups of 16-18 year old black teens wearing puffy coats in the summer with a hand in their waistband.

I forget the cross streets right now I'd have to look it up.

This is it right here: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...KT8gUbWkxoZkc3g

In the BP station

thats the kind of neighborhood you have to go to for good ethnic food tho =/

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

I just had a flat, beanless burrito (a quesadilla, if you will)

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Also what's up with sanchos? I think it's just a burrito with lettuce in it, and only known in a few midwest states

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Matey posted:

Also what's up with sanchos? I think it's just a burrito with lettuce in it, and only known in a few midwest states

Well thank God someone figured out a better way to add a bunch of carbs to salad!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I wonder if you can get McDonald's to wrap up some mcdoubles in the tortillas they use for breakfast burritos. Pretty sure everything is a burrito if you wrap it in a tortilla

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Like not just the meat and cheese but the bun and all too that sounds delicious especially if they got the tortillas all soft and warm

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I'm from San Diego, so I've got a ton of favorite Mexican places from sit-down restaurants to mom&pop shops. However, Lucha Libre Taco Shop is by far my favorite:

http://www.tacosmackdown.com/

A ton of different salsas, and the most delicious california burrito I've ever had.

http://californiathroughmylens.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Surfin-California-Burrito-Lucha-Libre.jpg

(Not my picture, but God bless the hero that took it)

It's not as good as it was when it first opened, but it's still the best loving burrito place in my barrio.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Matey posted:

looks like i was talkin outta my butt !

from a mexican restaurant nearby

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Matey posted:

looks like i was talkin outta my butt !

That's OK friend, that's exactly what burritos are for!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Criscodisco, you are fuckin killing it here in the burrito thread. Nice work!

Edit: fish burrito is pretty good stuff

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 31, 2017

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
i didn't think i'd like a potato burrito but it wasn't too bad

also what are the op's thoughts on taco del mar. their burritos will do in a pinch for me but their signature fish taco is laughable

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

criscodisco posted:

That's OK friend, that's exactly what burritos are for!

they call me stinky satchmo, the best butt trumpeter you ever did see

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Auritech posted:

i didn't think i'd like a potato burrito but it wasn't too bad

also what are the op's thoughts on taco del mar. their burritos will do in a pinch for me but their signature fish taco is laughable

according to the website the closest taco del mar to me is in bend, oregon which is a 350 mile drive so i dont have an opinion on it im sorry

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone here ever have Qdoba?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Ein cooler Typ posted:

No pizza tonight, Bobby!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

These are actuallly really good, yeah it's just a big california style sushi handroll but still great. They also tend to have good "sushi nachos" which are really just poke with wanton

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

it's not a good burrito unless eating it makes you poo poo blood

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Vim Fuego posted:

Edit: fish burrito is pretty good stuff

Well now I'm trying to picture this but I can't this imagine it being anything but horrible!

I can tell you one thing, that's gonna take a whole mess of guacamole to get it down my gullet! I know fish tacos are already a thing, but I don't support it one bit. I say Mexican food has no business trying to be healthy, any more than vegan food has any business being edible.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Proud of you, crisco

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
https://www.yelp.com/biz/pineda-taco-west-saint-paul

Most people reference it as the Mexican restaurant in the triangle buliding.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
wrap a dead rat in a tortilla shell, smear some butter on it, slap it in a hot pan...BOOM!!! Instant three bucks

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

the great deceiver posted:

according to the website the closest taco del mar to me is in bend, oregon which is a 350 mile drive so i dont have an opinion on it im sorry

Taco Del Mar is a guaranteed disappointment every time you go in, no matter how much you try to hedge. It's like Olive Garden or something in that respect. Always a little worse than you thought it was going to be.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

criscodisco posted:

Well now I'm trying to picture this but I can't this imagine it being anything but horrible!

I can tell you one thing, that's gonna take a whole mess of guacamole to get it down my gullet! I know fish tacos are already a thing, but I don't support it one bit. I say Mexican food has no business trying to be healthy, any more than vegan food has any business being edible.

They usually have cabbage and queso fresco on them, also the fish that's in there is breaded and fried, so most of the fish health is thoroughly offset.

That said while they're OK they're the most gringo thing you can order and that includes a chicken burrito.

• Locked thread