Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I think Trent Reznor is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Social Network soundtrack is pretty good and that Mashup he made of Head Like A Hole with that catchy Carly Rae Jenson tune was also pretty hardcore.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Leon Einstein posted:

NIN is still good. Can't think of a 90s musical act that's had the longevity he's had.

radiohead and pearl jam :D

Gay Weed Dad posted:

More like Nine Inch Males. :bigtran:

Trent Reznor is an incredibly talented dude, I don't understand how anyone could dislike NIN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL72Tyxe1rc

i thought that music video was awesome and still is but i was 14 and i thought pantera sounded edgy at the time so...?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
march of the pigs is still one of the greatest music videos ever made

he's so strung out there lol

e- oh jesus christ it already got posted, idc though watch it again idiots

Eric the Half a Bea
Jul 13, 2008

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so
Toilet Rascal

bitmap posted:

except maybe that corny last track offa with teeth

see the animal in it's cage that you built...are you sure what side you're on?

jfc

Yeah, seriously. Most of that album is awful. Although Hand That Feeds is fun.

I'm a pretty big fan of nin, but when he started getting political (Year Zero), I felt like he was so off base. It was like a 16 year old boy freaking out about establishment, the government, and who on god's green earth thinks the name Capital G is an edgy anti-establishment name for George Bush?

All that said, I like hearing how his music is evolving and think that Atticus Ross is a good choice and helps balance some of his stuff out, or move it in interesting directions. I don't yet enjoy the latest mini-album though. Just screaming even more incoherently than usual.

Eric the Half a Bea
Jul 13, 2008

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so
Toilet Rascal
Side note: I"m old enough now (and living in America) to know someone who spent time with Trent when he was just breaking out in the late 80s. My friend's a little older than him.

My friend, now an almost insufferable guy who unironically wears cravats and has a fancy house, wife and couple of kids, spent most of his 20s doing various typical druggie things. One of which was offering Trent Reznor some coke after a show. It wasn't exactly a packed event, I guess. They all go back to my friend's house where they proceed to get completely hosed up. At this point, Trent starts smashing things in the apartment, whatever he can find, including trying to kick down the flatmate's door. The flatmate was a big guy - worked out, didn't do drugs, just wanted to sleep - and stormed out of his room, picked Trent up and threw him down the stairs.

The party ended.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaWe_4AaH8Y

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
https://youtu.be/DhvXST1Rc3g

Better mashup than Call Me A Hole imo. I could listen to it over and over :buddy:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The new ep, not the actual events, is really good :buddy:

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
OP is a dumb idiot

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I have spent the whole work day listening to nine inch nails and its all because of you

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Eric the Half a Bea posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of nin, but when he started getting political (Year Zero), I felt like he was so off base. It was like a 16 year old boy freaking out about establishment, the government, and who on god's green earth thinks the name Capital G is an edgy anti-establishment name for George Bush?

I thought that was about God or something

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

The G doesn't stand for Bush; it stands for greed.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bitmap posted:

I have spent the whole work day listening to nine inch nails and its all because of you
I think I will also listen to nine inch nails today b/c of this thread

thx OP

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Both TDS and The Fragile are great albums. And lol that he followed The Fragile with With Teeth, an album named after the worst song.
Year Zero was pretty mediocre.
The Slip should have been half the length and released as an EP.
I haven't even listened to Hesitation Marks all the way through. I just remember Came Back Haunted playing on the radio a lot when it came out.

Also, NIN Hurt > Cash Hurt
I've always felt changing the lyrics from "crown of poo poo" to "crown of thorns" kind of ruins the message of the song

Final power ranking:
The Fragile > The Downward Spiral > Broken > Ghosts > Pretty Hate Machine > Year Zero > The Slip > With Teeth
Can't rank Hesitation Marks because I get bored listening to it lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

All that said, I like hearing how his music is evolving and think that Atticus Ross is a good choice and helps balance some of his stuff out, or move it in interesting directions. I don't yet enjoy the latest mini-album though. Just screaming even more incoherently than usual.

He says he signs his name with a capital g not that it's his name dorkus

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Everything after Year Zero has been less than zero in my rating of zero to ten!!! HAHAHAHAHAA!!!

but its true

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
his old albums have aged horribly and are just embarrassing teenager poo poo

if he just did lyric-less soundtrack stuff and ghosts albums for the rest of his career he would still be good

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Mr. Unlucky posted:

his old albums have aged horribly and are just embarrassing teenager poo poo

if he just did lyric-less soundtrack stuff and ghosts albums for the rest of his career he would still be good
I do not agree with that unless you consider 1000 Homo DJs or his demo tape to be the old albums in question.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Honestly Trent should just keep making Quake-style dark industrial tracks until he spontaneously combusts.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Lowtax posted:

I do not agree with that unless you consider 1000 Homo DJs or his demo tape to be the old albums in question.

Purest Feeling owns

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Leon Einstein posted:

Purest Feeling owns
Yes and my favorite Ministry album is With Sympathy larmo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
a lot of people think reznor stopped making good music after he got clean from heroin. there are a couple things i kinda like since fragile but i agree and am glad hes clean nevertheless :shrug: he is really cool dude and i liked his soundtrack work w/atticus ross a lot

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

real talk though fixed is probably the best remix album ever and further down the spiral has some great castoff aphex twin songs disguised as remixes

and don't get me wrong, without nin I wouldn't have discovered coil, foetus, or even skinny puppy so as a springboard he's pretty good. but i ain't putting starfuckers, inc or the day the world went away as on the same level as a warm place or reptile, nope.

KawaiiAtomicBombs
Apr 15, 2016

~Ka-Boom~
At least he doesn't suck like KMFDM :c00lbert:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

KawaiiAtomicBombs posted:

At least he doesn't suck like KMFDM :c00lbert:

He needs to have an intro song on each album where he mentions the previous names of all his releases.

KawaiiAtomicBombs
Apr 15, 2016

~Ka-Boom~

Lowtax posted:

He needs to have an intro song on each album where he mentions the previous names of all his releases.

How would people know what to buy if they didn't do that?!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Lowtax posted:

Yes and my favorite Ministry album is With Sympathy larmo
There are a few good tracks, but Ministry peaked at TLORAH. He's been putting out poo poo for 20 plus years.

Reznor hasn't had nearly as steep of a decline. Al Jourgensen can't write a decent song anymore as his brain is porridge.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust is the best post Year Zero NIN album, with the year zero remix album mostly produced by Saul Williams bridging the gap.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The new Fragile instrumental/outtakes album is really loving good by the way goons

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

TwoStepBoog posted:

The Fragile > The Downward Spiral > Broken > Ghosts > Pretty Hate Machine > Year Zero > The Slip > With Teeth

This is correct.

Also, the HTDA album is a lot like Fragile in that it gets better with repeat listenings.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Are there any Nine Inch Nails songs I would recognize. I can't think of any off of the top of my head, but I dunno. I think they were popular in the late 90s?

And no I am not pretending to not know to look cool, I don't think Nine Inch Nails is even popular enough that one could do such a thing.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Moon Atari posted:

The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust is the best post Year Zero NIN album, with the year zero remix album mostly produced by Saul Williams bridging the gap.

I came to this thread to say Niggy Tardust by Saul Williams is the best new NIN album, which I thought would be a unique and not posted opinion, so gently caress you.

Edit: you've heard closer, hurt, down in it, or head like a hole of you were alive in the late 90s

Shawn fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 1, 2017

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

OctoberBlues posted:

Are there any Nine Inch Nails songs I would recognize. I can't think of any off of the top of my head, but I dunno. I think they were popular in the late 90s?

And no I am not pretending to not know to look cool, I don't think Nine Inch Nails is even popular enough that one could do such a thing.

Closer aka "I wanna gently caress you like an animal"

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Auritech posted:

Closer aka "I wanna gently caress you like an animal"

Hmm, that song doesn't sound familiar at all. Weird. I guess that's just a whole chunk of pop culture I missed.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

Hmm, that song doesn't sound familiar at all. Weird. I guess that's just a whole chunk of pop culture I missed.

You're probably just younger than 30.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

OctoberBlues posted:

if you could share your method for medically self induced coma i'd be eternally grateful, thinking of sitting this decade out.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
nine inch nails, more like 3 inch nails, right Courtney (I didn't blow my husband's brains out) Love?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Jose Mengelez posted:

if you could share your method for medically self induced coma i'd be eternally grateful, thinking of sitting this decade out.

I think it involves a lot of Jet Moto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Leon Einstein posted:

There are a few good tracks, but Ministry peaked at TLORAH. He's been putting out poo poo for 20 plus years.

Reznor hasn't had nearly as steep of a decline. Al Jourgensen can't write a decent song anymore as his brain is porridge.
I disagree and am one of the few people who believe Relapse was great.

• Locked thread