Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The last true tv hero was Hulk Hogan's character from the hit tv show, Thunder in Paradise.

https://youtu.be/x8BKiigBsa8

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
ANIME BELOW

in terms of "alternative" heroes spike spiegel is a pretty drat good one imo

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
in gbs dad gay so what is obv the hero, mods are oligarchy of villains, and spaceclown is like their iago except not funny or cool or anything

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Amarcarts posted:

Half of all people are above average.

Not really. Like if you score 102 on an IQ test it's not meaningful nor realistic to think of yourself as above average. It's more like 1/2 of all people are average and 1/4 are above and 1/4 are below.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fbsw posted:

for once in my life i agree with that weird girl with a crazy dad, Pick

is it really worse to self-excuse your social dysfunctions by thinking yourself a genius, versus just not giving a poo poo? or thinking that your own flaws are negligible while everyone else's are big problems, which is what pretty much everyone does?

cause pick might not claim to be a genius, but she seems concerned as gently caress with motes in eyes

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

i may be retarded but i uh, um

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Klyith posted:

is it really worse to self-excuse your social dysfunctions by thinking yourself a genius, versus just not giving a poo poo? or thinking that your own flaws are negligible while everyone else's are big problems, which is what pretty much everyone does?

cause pick might not claim to be a genius, but she seems concerned as gently caress with motes in eyes

i'm pretty sure everyone in gbs hates themselves

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

fbsw posted:

i'm pretty sure everyone in gbs hates themselves

i love myself and I also love you and everyone else in GBS. Even Mirthless and Moridin (RIP)

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fbsw posted:

in gbs dad gay so what is obv the hero, mods are oligarchy of villains, and spaceclown is like their iago except not funny or cool or anything

IM FEYD RAUTHA

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
the gbs movie soundtrack is a bunch of really great poo poo composed by like yasunori mitsuda or howard shore, except for spaceclown's theme which is some Brand New song

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Amarcarts posted:

Half of all people are above average.

No, most people are average. That's what average means.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

No, most people are average. That's what average means.

Not nessecarily, but also in this case yes.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fbsw posted:

the gbs movie soundtrack is a bunch of really great poo poo composed by like yasunori mitsuda or howard shore, except for spaceclown's theme which is some Brand New song

Its hypnagogic pop

https://youtu.be/KZqROw3ztC4

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 15, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

you're not as smart as you think you are, OP

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

music exec: this is it, this is the white people floating in space sound we've been looking for

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

scrubs season six posted:

Not really. Like if you score 102 on an IQ test it's not meaningful nor realistic to think of yourself as above average. It's more like 1/2 of all people are average and 1/4 are above and 1/4 are below.

in the thread about people who incorrectly think they're smart and that excuses them being obnoxious, like six goons "correct" a throwaway joke about the definition of average with their retarded personal theories about what the word 'average' means

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

in the thread about people who incorrectly think they're smart and that excuses them being obnoxious, like six goons "correct" a throwaway joke about the definition of average with their retarded personal theories about what the word 'average' means

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

No

He looks like a gross dork in a hoodie

i assume hes american tv ugly, meaning hes actually good looking but they dress him in unflattering clothes for the programme

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pretty much everyone in this thread "identifies" with these kind of protagonists, but the reality is you were really only good at one or two computer-applicable things at a time when everyone promised that computer skills meant you'd become a company-owning technocrat. It was just our generation's version of ghetto kids dreaming of becoming basketball stars, except there's actually more people in professional basketballs than there are Silicon Valley billionaires. Your skills were never that special or important, and there are loads of people smarter than you.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

average is however long my penis is

e: okay spaceclown you're cool now, pick is the worst again

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
This sorta works in the opposite direction too. How many times do we need to see a villain that loves opera or classical music?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
im extrememly smart by the way and am frequently playfully disrespectful to the people i know (my mom & dog)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pick posted:

Pretty much everyone in this thread "identifies" with these kind of protagonists, but the reality is you were really only good at one or two computer-applicable things at a time when everyone promised that computer skills meant you'd become a company-owning technocrat. It was just our generation's version of ghetto kids dreaming of becoming basketball stars, except there's actually more people in professional basketballs than there are Silicon Valley billionaires. Your skills were never that special or important, and there are loads of people smarter than you.

psst... we know.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

"I was just pretending to be retarded" hasn't been a valid alibi for unfunny posts since 2004. It's proto-puppet master territory.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

actually i am a unique polymath genius :colbert:

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

this but unironically

just lol if you thought you could get anywhere in the tech industry without social skills to back up your mediocre grasp of computer knowledge

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
pick and spaceclown really fighting over worst gbs poster award :munch:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
im a protagonnist

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fbsw posted:

pick and spaceclown really fighting over worst gbs poster award :munch:

somewhere between boredom and the forums they found purpose.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SpaceClown posted:

this but unironically

just lol if you thought you could get anywhere in the tech industry without social skills to back up your mediocre grasp of computer knowledge

I found that working on my looks and my social skills did 100000x more for my ease and quality of life than any amount of studying ever did. If anything it's been important to downplay my academic rigor because people associate it with entitled assholes now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pick posted:

I found that working on my looks and my social skills did 100000x more for my ease and quality of life than any amount of studying ever did. If anything it's been important to downplay my academic rigor because people associate it with entitled assholes now.

So the media hero/heroine you identify with is the frumpy librarian who gets a stunning makeover halfway through the second reel?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

People really underestimate how far a nice face and an ability to hold up a conversation will take you. I think it's a fundamental (hilarious) misunderstanding amongst the idiot nerds of the 21st century that society is a meritocracy of technical skill. It's not called the "social ladder" for nothing.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pick posted:

lol if you don't think of yourself as an entitled rear end in a top hat like the rest.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SpaceClown posted:

People really underestimate how far a nice face and an ability to hold up a conversation will take you. I think it's a fundamental (hilarious) misunderstanding amongst the idiot nerds of the 21st century that society is a meritocracy of technical skill. It's not called the "social ladder" for nothing.

The reason you see so many foreigners in engineering isn't because white people are dumb, it's because any white guy with normal social skills can make more money for less work in management and other business. So mostly only the socially stunted nerdlingers go into engineering

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

No, say I, the truth is I am not the awkward supergenius; I am the pretty dumb one

I'm the dog

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol if you don't think of yourself as an entitled rear end in a top hat like the rest.

Oh I sure as hell do, but I don't want other people to sense that.

That's why IRL, if someone asks me what my hobbies are, I say "gardening" (which is also true but it's like 10th on the list) because there's something in people's heads that tells them that gardeners aren't assholes. bitch we're all assholes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pick posted:

Oh I sure as hell do, but I don't want other people to sense that.

You're doing a pretty poor job of it then

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

You're doing a pretty poor job of it then

in real life, that's why I post here, to have somewhere to vent my shittiness that doesn't affect my career prospects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pick posted:

in real life, that's why I post here, to have somewhere to vent my shittiness that doesn't affect my career prospects

Have you considered YouTube or Facebook comments

• Locked thread