Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

In any other society this gently caress dies

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Any skill related activity you get better at by putting in time and practicing just like real sports you guys sound like commies cause you can't walk in and play at a high level

No poo poo bro practice If you wanna be good at something

E: I think you can resolve alot of issues by just splitting out ranked and unranked tho

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks Ayn

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I wonder how many stupid kids these days think of playing peofessional mario kart or whatever. When they are playing video games all day with the assumption that its training for their future profession. Sad

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Waroduce posted:

Any skill related activity you get better at by putting in time and practicing just like real sports you guys sound like commies cause you can't walk in and play at a high level

No poo poo bro practice If you wanna be good at something

E: I think you can resolve alot of issues by just splitting out ranked and unranked tho

You ever try playing unranked hearthstone? It's the exact same decks, the exact same community that will add you and call you a human being after the match for no reason.

Anyway your argument is valid IF you want to play the game at a competitive/tournament level. Think of it like golf. If you want to get on the PGA tour of course you've got to practice a lot, but if you just want to have some fun with friends you can do that too with little to no experience and while there is still competition, it has a much different tone and is more friendly. Unranked modes in games currently are nothing but the ultra-competitives practicing without having to worry about hurting their rank, not people just playing for fun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah the problem there is that matchmaking is completely impersonal. Server browsers, lobbies, let alone physically walking up to someone in an arcade and setting your quarter on the machine are all a completely different dynamic. On top of that you get developers actively trying to keep their players from interacting i.e. no chat in Hearthstone.

I used to play Magic: The Gathering on a virtual tabletop program where not only did you have to talk to the other player, but it had no rules enforcement so it was basically just like playing in person -- all you've got to go on is the social contract. And surprise, the community was about a million times nicer and more welcoming than anything you'd see today.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Gamers is alt right red pill retards 99% of the time

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

The shabby sad looking white dude who calls his opponent a bitch and then later tells him to wash the taste of his dick out of his mouth must be the most pathetic dude I've seen in a while.

He looks like he hasn't slept in like 4 days has his polo tucked into his khakis, and overall just looks like he's gonna go home to an empty apartment covered in crusty socks.

It's so clear that this moment /environment is the only moment/place in his life where he gets to feel masculine, tough, and able.

Just smdh what a sad man also lol pathetic

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
and anime gently caress pillow botherers

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Gamers are total idiots, but it's not like following esports is any more or less ridiculous than regular competitive sports. If anything, they're usually much less so than the insane poo poo coming out of the NFL or NBA every single day!

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Think of it like golf. If you want to get on the PGA tour of course you've got to practice a lot, but if you just want to have some fun with friends you can do that too with little to no experience and while there is still competition, it has a much different tone and is more friendly.

You can play games with your friends if you want, that's not exclusive to golf

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
And if you think mmr systems mean you only play against people better than you, I think that means something about your skill at that particular game

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Leaves university with some big pointless degree: Hmmm, Bread or Circus?

Chooses circus

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

henkman posted:

You can play games with your friends if you want, that's not exclusive to golf

all of them are try-hards in video games so that's not a good option.

And I know I'm bad at games, what I'm getting at is games should still be fun for people who don't want to spend time "practicing" and don't give a poo poo about climbing the ladder or copying the latest tournament build/deck. The whole problem with hearthstone is everyone just copies decks posted online that are advertised as "easy legendary" or whatever, so there's only a handful of viable decks out there in a given season. You never saw things like that in other card games like MTG. There were decks people copied of course but you could still win games consistently without doing that, generally.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

And I know I'm bad at games, what I'm getting at is games should still be fun for people who don't want to spend time "practicing" and don't give a poo poo about climbing the ladder or copying the latest tournament build/deck. The whole problem with hearthstone is everyone just copies decks posted online that are advertised as "easy legendary" or whatever, so there's only a handful of viable decks out there in a given season. You never saw things like that in other card games like MTG. There were decks people copied of course but you could still win games consistently without doing that, generally.

I think you will find that it is avtually good and proper that the lives of the unskilled should be filled with boredom and misery.

PS Hearthstone is a bad game that is lazily designed.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Anyone from ESports could die an no one cares.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Exports help our economy, OP.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

they can still be fun, just accept that you're going to lose a lot

if you can't handle losing, but also refuse to put in a minuscule amount of effort into improvement, then I don't really know what to tell you

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Suck dick at games so bad you actually scoff out loud in disbelief at yourself while playing and then laugh at other people who get mad at you for sucking at video games.
I like to call this "my nightly rocket league experience".

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Waroduce posted:

*pushes glasses up* well I was CAL-IM in CS1.6 and was on several Everquest server first raids from Kunark through PoP. I also was on server first raids for MC in WoW, as well as qualifying pretty highly on the old PvP title ranking system....

But than I got a division 1 baseball scholarship and into a college strength program and girls started touching my penis alot and lol you loving nerds

Same but naia lol at only 11.7 scholarships

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I suck at DOTA but enjoy playing and watching the International . Sometimes I get stomped in DOTA and it sucks but it's no different than like playing pick up ball against former college players. Or getting stomped by a nationally ranked team in baseball, or getting blown out in football against a stud team (which I never experienced but the other two yes). Skill disparity sucks but it's a part of life. It sounds like the community and/or like communication mechanisms really amplify and antagonize the experience in a super negative way though.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Skill disparity sucks, which is why almost every competitive game uses an mmr system of some kind

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
We need politicians to appeal to the eSports and the gaming dev community.

World Kraid Center
Oct 18, 2009

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Anyone from ESports could die an no one cares.

says the upset leftist who uses retard as a casual insult with three posts no one's replied to

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

World Kraid Center posted:

says the upset leftist who uses retard as a casual insult with three posts no one's replied to

Im sorry your retarded and find the word hurtful.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

In any other society this gently caress dies

He's worth millions and has a mega hot girlfriend lol

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

He's worth millions and has a mega hot girlfriend lol

Oh sorry, hes great excellent now.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Idk why anyone would want to watch anyone play a game at all e sport or analogue sport.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Starman Super DX posted:

Idk why anyone would want to watch anyone play a game at all e sport or analogue sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns96XaUmpR4

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

"Who bitch this is?" is still my favourite FGC video

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Idk man I think I'd just rather play othello or w/e but that's just me

e: really though, for me there are exceptions to the rule. I like AVGN because he has a stupid gimmick and spends a little time talking about the game or occasionally making some interesting points so ultimately his informative videos are the best. And then there's Arino who's just some guy and it's kind of exciting to see if he succeeds or fails. But all this speed running and Twitch poo poo makes no sense to me. and real sports too. just go outside maybe??

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 11, 2017

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2hsewxQdFA

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
list of activities with intrinsic meaning and worth

-

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

This is one of those optical illusions where if you glance at it your swear he is wear a jean jacket, but then you look at it again and he isn't but then you think about it when looking away and you picture him in a jean jacket again.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dead gay son posted:

I can't throw a football 50 yards to a precise location, but I can make Mario jump on a turtle.

Beat the Mario level Pit of Panga then.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

haljordan posted:

Deadspin started an esports spin off site that desperately tries to make sweaty nerds pounding buttons seem exciting. It's still better than Deadspin itself, at least.

It's cool and good because a good chunk of the articles are reporting on doofy esports drama or the occasional "top-tier Street Fighter player reveals self as cheater/furry/gigantic racist" stories which are always fun

They did that story about the tournament in Ukraine that ended with a sideshow of creepy voyeuristic photos of all the women who attended the tournament that was pretty :laffo:

toucan dan
May 18, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
it's harder to master esports than regular sports

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Normal sports will die and be replaced by e-sports because the later are actually fun to watch.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

games have ruined my ability to feel love and acceptance towards others and myself

• Locked thread