Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Mordor She Wrote posted:

We already have a bunch of /pol/ enclaves here

The serious grammar angry moderation GBS of...2012? was half normal boring morons trying to establish an internet fiefdom and half reasonable reaction to this stuff. It's very easy to push an agenda on an online forum.

There will be a Seminal Academic Work about gamergate, 4chan, even SA that our kids or grandkids will have to read imo, don't blame anyone for trying tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it's not very nice of nature to mock an obviously autistic man who published a conference paper like this imo

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
what happened to the guy with the machine gun in pizza planet anyway

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Lol /pol/ is a small group of loving nobodies do you really believe they have spies hidden in every forum? When you get this paranoid, you're only making them more powerful in your mind than they actually are.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

It's like the people that believe /pol/ had some dramatic influence on the election using pepe memes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mnoba posted:

what happened to the guy with the machine gun in pizza planet anyway

Spunky is out on bail and probably posting right now.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Luxury Communism posted:

Lol /pol/ is a small group of loving nobodies do you really believe they have spies hidden in every forum? When you get this paranoid, you're only making them more powerful in your mind than they actually are.

I don't think that's really what he meant.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
From the paper:

quote:

"...provided a highly visible platform to movements like Anonymous and the alt-right ideology. Although it has also led to positive actions (e.g., catching animal abusers)"

I cannot understand directing any positive attention to that particular corner of the internet.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Luxury Communism posted:

I don't think they are a super secret cabal running things in the shadows, I think we have a bunch of idiots that were taken in by Trump memes from /pol/ and decided to try and spread their contagious idiocy here.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also, someone asked for these earlier:

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
I'm the "frog" in the official hate dictionary

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mordor She Wrote posted:

it's called multiculturalism

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Putty posted:

the Kek thing is stupid but its funny to see the media lose it's mind over the cartoon frog

Personally I never cared about Pepe before it got super popular last year, besides it's 4chan's major meme now so they can do whatever the hell they want with it. Although I've grown to love Shadilay, it's got a funky beat that I can dig, and I pray for Kekistan.

Also this excerpt is gold...

These autists honest to god used EQUATIONS to calculate 4chan posts and raids...they seriously went this far to make loving theorems and equations to see how many anons were posting memes in-between thread updates. MY loving SIDES.

I didn't think college kids could stoop this low, but somehow they found a way...it's stupid but cute to think they know how meme magic works.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Junior Jr. posted:

you've got a pretty loose definition of gold

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cubone posted:

you've got a pretty loose definition of gold

Nah, he's the kinda dude whose definition of gold is pretty much 196.96657u, plus or minus 0.000004u.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
how is pepe pronounced? is it like peepee or peep? because lol if the mascot of racist trumpers is named peepee

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Junior Jr. posted:

Personally I never cared about Pepe before it got super popular last year, besides it's 4chan's major meme now so they can do whatever the hell they want with it. Although I've grown to love Shadilay, it's got a funky beat that I can dig, and I pray for Kekistan.

These autists honest to god used EQUATIONS to calculate 4chan posts and raids...they seriously went this far to make loving theorems and equations to see how many anons were posting memes in-between thread updates. MY loving SIDES.

I didn't think college kids could stoop this low, but somehow they found a way...it's stupid but cute to think they know how meme magic works.

I guarantee you this guy has zero idea of how his derivations work and probably paid off somebody from the math department to do this part of his dissertation for him.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

how is pepe pronounced?

Very carefully

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

is it like peepee or peep?

Yes.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Also, someone asked for these earlier:

In Figure 10, we also report the percentage of /pol/ posts in which the top 15 most “popular” hate words from the hatebase dictionary appear. “friend of the family” is the most popular hate word, used in more than 2% of posts, while “human being” and “retard” appear in over 1% of posts. To get an idea of the magnitude of hate, consider that “friend of the family” appears in 265K posts, i.e., about 120 posts an hour.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

In Figure 10, we also report the percentage of /pol/ posts in which the top 15 most “popular” hate words from the hatebase dictionary appear. “friend of the family” is the most popular hate word, used in more than 2% of posts, while “human being” and “retard” appear in over 1% of posts. To get an idea of the magnitude of hate, consider that “friend of the family” appears in 265K posts, i.e., about 120 posts an hour.

How many NPH is SomethingAwful getting?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Luxury Communism posted:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pepe

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Luxury Communism posted:

Add a +1 to your count, feel the hate flow through you.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Pepe's dad is called Papa.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

does that mean a post that is nothing but the word friend of the family repeated a thousand times counts as one or is each instance of friend of the family counted as one hate word

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

OMFG FURRY posted:

does that mean a post that is nothing but the word friend of the family repeated a thousand times counts as one or is each instance of friend of the family counted as one hate word

Seriously, however silly it sounds it would seem that it'd be counted once. I didn't see a way for them to "weigh" posts.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Literally A Person posted:

Seriously, however silly it sounds it would seem that it'd be counted once. I didn't see a way for them to "weigh" posts.

don't say the n word friends

the n word i mean is "nagger"

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Watching my previously apolitical friends throw themselves emotionally, full force, ineffecitvely on the Trump Piss Tapes Grenade, without any prompting whatsoever from any external source, ALL OVER SOCIAL MEDIA, was one of the loving funniest things of TYOOL 2017.

How loving braincucked can you be to lock-step-follow the hivemind opinion of an internet forum while pretending you're some kind of epic puppetmaster

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Waffle House posted:

Trump Piss Tapes Grenade

TPTG, never forget. :911:

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
What the flip has ever become of the old adage about sticks and stones? It's words on a screen you big crybabies.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fat Lowtax posted:

There will be a Seminal Academic Work about gamergate, 4chan, even SA that our kids or grandkids will have to read imo, don't blame anyone for trying tbh

Already wrote this 3 years ago, AMA.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

kickascii posted:

I've browsed /pol a bit on and off. It feels to be like a playground for social psychologists, social engineers, niche narrative pushers, trolls, and anarchists. The signal to noise ratio is completely unbearable to me. I've become an extreme pessimist about online discussions of all forms, theyre completely ruined by dialog that is not genuine.

Except you guys. You guys seem cool.

I say that unironically as I hope that because SA is smaller and more niche it has less shills than other places on the net.

Whoever would write a sociology paper on 4chan discussion is extemely naive, imo. Youre essentially watching siri, alexa, Shareblue and Stormfront spew memes and calling it a study of human behavior.

We are protected from such horrors as this by our twin shields of death and homosexuality.

forums dead, gay; so what?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Putty posted:

the Kek thing is stupid but its funny to see the media lose it's mind over the cartoon frog

Umm, just FYI, Kek is actually an Egyptian deity, not a cartoon frog.

:goonsay:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DO NOT overcharge the JO crystal!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

These loss.jpg parodies are getting really obscure.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Written by a literal autist dealing with the death of a friend who had Marfans syndrome.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Luxury Communism posted:

I knew Pizzagate was going to go off the rails when I saw my own posts attempting to speculate and hypothesize being screencapped and taken as authoritative fact.

Luxury Communism posted:

mods

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I don't actually know why /pol/ feels it needs to seed itself everywhere, but they seem cagey about answering that question even indirectly so far so idfk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Luxury Communism posted:

I knew Pizzagate was going to go off the rails when I saw my own posts attempting to speculate and hypothesize being screencapped and taken as authoritative fact.

like at this point pizzagate isnt even a conspiracy theory its literally anything ridiculous you can accuse someone of sincerely believing in. the only common thread is that pizza shop and all of the funny stuff has nothing to do with it

its a good rear end conspiracy theory too, top tier. lots of laughs all around

• Locked thread