Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Sign me up for the critter list as well! Glad to see these games LPed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The hand-drawn graphics and focus on narrative is interesting. I'll be reading this LP for sure.

If possible, could you turn me into a creature?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Throw my name onto the list!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Dibs on being creationated!

Also I love the loading/intro screens with the shaper and his/her Fyora puppy. SO ADORABLE.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hell yeah, sign me up for one of the creations too! Something dumb and tanky, if at all possible :)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Creature list!

Hell yeah, I love Geneforge 2 a lot. Its a huge step up from the first game in a lot of ways (though not all) and was the first game in the series that really clicked with me.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Now that I look at the loading screens again, it's apparent that Fyoras are apparently actually lizard-shaped dogs. (Despite roamers being more literally that.) Check out that one chasing butterflies in the Agent/Shaper/Fyora loading screen!

e: three posts too slow! Dangit, PurpleXVI!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Put me on the list, I'm sure there will be enough turnover for my name to get another shot. It's too bad you didn't go Agent, GFII is peak Agent supremacy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
SHAPER SUPREMACY :byodame: PLATONIC SOLIDS

Our next protagonist might be named Dimethyl Mercury. :argh: Chemistry puns!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Our next protagonist might be named Dimethyl Mercury. :argh: Chemistry puns!

If there's a Geneforge where direct-damage magic is supreme, the protagonist should be named FOOF.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If there's a Geneforge where direct-damage magic is supreme, the protagonist should be named FOOF.

Only if the goal is to murder every single organism in the game.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Add me to the name list if being a creature last LP doesn't disqualify me.

Also, I actually started GF2 once your last LP was near the end, but got distracted by other games. So I'm extra-happy your continuing, in case I never get back around to it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kinda interesting how you could make a case for the Guardian or Shaper being whatever gender and look you want under the concealing, dramatic robe/armor but the Agent always seems to be explicitly a woman.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Given how we hoover up all the canisters we can get our hands on, I'm pretty sure our next protagonists' names will refer to increasingly degenerate matter.
Plasma, or Quark, or maybe Dr. Strangelet.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
I'm glad your LPing this game. I really enjoyed your previous LP of the first game.

I'd also like to sign up to be a shaper creature.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The Serviles Are Not What They Seem

Last time we arrived at the Drypeak Gates. Our mentor, Shanti, is concerned about rogue activity here, so we should take care while we explore. She also left us something useful nearby...

There are an awful lot of bones here, and scraps of flesh still cling to many of them.

Game Text posted:

Ahead, you can dimly hear growling and hissing. You also hear what sounds like spell casting. You suspect that Shanti has found some rogues to fight. She's probably enjoying it.

There is a building to your right, almost overgrown by the hardy, twisted desert trees. Maybe there is something useful inside.

Game Text posted:

This is a small shaping chamber. It is in buildings like these that Shapers make new creations. They use healing and essence pools to recharge themselves. If you stand next to the pools, you will be healed and energized.

Shanti has left some things here for you. There is a healing pod and a shield on the table.

Also, there are two books around the corner. You should read them to learn more about making creations and casting spells.

Books on blowing things up and making new creatures are much more exciting than slabs of wood and healing pods.

The books are tutorials on how to Shape creations and aren't part of the in-game fiction. Let's talk about Shaping!

We started only being able to make fyoras, resulting in the creation of idonotlikepeas. Idonotlikepeas' creation cost us essence -- only a little bit in the grand scheme of things, but it's still a considerable amount for Precipitate right now.

Until idonotlikepeas dies or is absorbed by Precipitate, it represents a permanent reduction to Precipitate's maximum essence. The stronger the creation, the more essence it costs. Absorbing a creation gives back part of the essence used in its creation as well as the full capacity for essence that creation cost. (So if idonotlikepeas cost us 15 essence, absorbing it would restore up front around 9 essence, and give us back the capacity for 15 total essence points.) If idonotlikepeas dies, we only get capacity back. In general, if you think your creation is about to die, it's a good idea to just absorb it.

When you Shape a creation, you have the option to boost its attribute points by spending essence in the creation menu. Right now, we're only boosting creations' intelligence by 2 points in order to make them controllable. Personally, I don't find uncontrollable creations very fun, but some people dig it.

Spells are distinct from Shaping. Some spells cost essence, but all of them cost energy. Essence is the blue bar under our character and spell energy is the green bar. All of our creations have a green bar, but only Precipitate has essence. Spell energy regenerates over time and essence does not.

After reading the books, you think you have a handle on the basics of CQC.

You check the far door, but it's shut up tight and you don't have enough living tools to even attempt to open it. With all that out of the way, you pocket the healing pod in your robes and bind the shield to your left arm.

You step off the ruined road and are swiftly greeted by a rogue fyora. Unlike the last one, this rogue doesn't hesitate to spit fire at you. Fortunately, its breath passes harmlessly over your person, not even singeing your robes. drat, it's good to be a Shaper.

Idonotlikepeas burns its wild cousin half to death, and you finish off the barbeque with a javelin. The rogue dissolves into goo.

You encounter another rogue to the south. Fortunately, you are able to once again resist its flaming breath. Once you dispose of the rogue, you kick its nest apart and find some more money. Not bad.

Precipitate gains her first level! I boosted Magic Shaping by 2 this time so that we'll have a nice artila soon, but I'll be pumping Mechanics and Leadership for a few levels in order to unlock extra options. Once again, our Shaper build will be a dead weight; Precipitate's creations will be doing most of the fighting.

You nudge a broken bowl with your toe. When the people of Drypeak abandoned this area, they left a real mess.

Another rogue skitters out of the trees. Your javelin strikes a glancing blow and idonotlikepeas finishes the beast off. Idonotlikepeas snorts in triumph at finishing off this latest rival; the newly-Shaped fyora hasn't been as effective against its kin as it was against giant rats.

After a water break, you continue hunting rogue fyoras.

Game Text posted:

This small shop has been effectively demolished by the rogues. This is unusually vicious destruction, even for a mad creation.

The only things left intact are a few pots. Maybe there's something of value inside them.

You take a breather on the leeward side of the ruin. One of the pots has a speed pod. You hope you don't need to put it to use any time soon.

Why are there so many rogues here? You've never seen anything like this.

You find Shanti by the sound of spellfire. She has squared off against several rogue fyoras and even a thahd. Idonotlikepeas reaches the fight first. The thahd lunges for your creation, but before you can do anything about it, Shanti obliterates the rogue with fire.

The rogue fyoras all seem to bear a grudge against your obedient creation. Idonotlikepeas takes a brutal beating, but with Shanti's help, you're able to destroy the rest of the rogues and save your fyora. It costs the rest of your javelins, but that's a price you don't mind paying.

Having rapidly dispatched the cluster of rogues, Shanti turns to you. She hasn't even broken a sweat.

"I see you dealt with the fyoras I left for you. Good. It is important to know how to defend yourself.

"However, apprentice, there is something you should remember. Combat is not the only way to achieve your goals. Stealth and diplomacy work as well. If you wish to avoid battle, I suspect that, in practically every case, there is a way to."

"What if the way I want to go is completely blocked by enemies?" you ask. You don't think either of you could've avoided these rogues.

"Then look for a different route. If you find that the obstacles in one area are insurmountable, go elsewhere. In my experience, there is almost never only one route to a goal."

"Weren't you scared, being outnumbered like that?"

"Scared? Of our creations?" She laughs. "We are Shapers. We are the absolute masters of the life we create. Heaven help us all if it should ever be otherwise."

"Why are there so many rogues?" you ask.

“I do not know. But I am ready to find out. The state of this colony is a disgrace."

She's not wrong. You shake some thahd goo from your boots. "I'm ready to move on."

"Good. I am eager to reach Drypeak. Their colony is in a miserable state. I want to know why."

Game Text posted:

You have reached Drypeak's customs gate. All Shaper settlements have a customs gate, where visitors are questioned and searched. Normally, there would be guards here, waiting to stop you and ask about your business.

However, there is nobody here. The main gate is closed. The door to the guardhouse off to the side is closed and locked. It doesn't look, at the moment, like there is any way in.

For the first time, you start to wonder if there are any people in Drypeak at all. To proceed, you will need to find a way to get this gate open.

Shanti stands next to the locked door of the customs gate. She looks furious. She twists her tooth necklace absently in her fingers as she thinks about what to do.

"The gate is locked? Isn't it supposed to be guarded?" you ask, annoyed that no one is even here to so much as hassle you.

"What I want to do is tear this gate down with my bare hands. This is an insult! To leave a gate abandoned like this? In a Shaper settlement?

"Someone is going to answer for this. I'll make sure of that." She twists the necklace like she wants to strangle someone with it.

You pause a moment, then ask, "What are you going to do?"

Shanti raises an eyebrow. "What am I going to do? Well, I'm going to start by standing here. Then I'm going to tell you to look around. Then I'm going to have lunch.

"Be a good apprentice and see if you can find a way around this gate. Run along."

You bite back a complaint. Why do you have to do this? Isn't Shanti the one who's supposed to be doing the investigating? As much as you'd like to make a quip about the great matters she must obviously ponder here, you know that a rebellious attitude will get you nowhere. "Are you sure you want me to go unprotected? I won't be able to serve you well if I'm ambushed and killed."

Shanti sighs. "I suppose you are right. Your concern is noble, I guess. If you run into anything you can't handle, lead it back to me. I'll take care of it."

This option was available because of our high Leadership score.

"I will see what I can find," you say.

"You do that. Try not to be too long."

You almost say, "Yes, mom," but that's an excellent way to earn a brutal evening of pointless drudgery, like digging holes and filling them back in.

First things first, you check the doors. The automatic door is totally sealed. The standard door is held fast by a lock on the opposite side, and you lack the supplies necessary to open it without destroying it. Shanti might feel like destroying Drypeak's gate, but until she gives you a specific order to do so, you might as well act with some prudence.

You dispatch some more rats along the eastern path.

The colonists have left piles of supplies to waste out here. Whatever drove them to flee must have been quite frightening. It's hard to imagine they were chased away by rats and fyoras. Even a rogue thahd would be a simple matter for the Shapers of the colony.

Game Text posted:

You find that someone has barred the door here from this side. You unbar it.

The other door is shut with a flimsy lock, but you can't quite manage it. You decide to check the rest of the vicinity before using up one of your precious living tools.

You encounter another swarm of giant rats. Luckily for you, they don't all attack at once.

Game Text posted:

There are some rusty tracks on the ground here. At one end, they have been torn up. At the other end, they've been overgrown. Drypeak is definitely a mining colony.

There are several large nests back here, made from trash and twisted sticks. The scavengers here might have found something interesting.

Game Text posted:

The nests primarily consist of junk. However, you do find something interesting in this one. There is a small iron key on a leather thong. Some guards must have dropped it, and a rat found it.

You take the key and pocket it.

You also find a bronze sword in fair condition. It's better than the pigsticker you used on the rats.

Shapers have a surprisingly strong melee attack, but all in all, it's better not to get any closer to your foes than is strictly necessary.

Shanti is aggressively tearing into a spread of bread and cheese. You wish you had some bread.

"I found a key," you say, and show it to her.

"Interesting. Try it in the door. See if you can find a way to get this gate open."

You summon up your daring and ask, "What is that necklace?"

Shanti notices that she is toying with it. She drops her hand. "Just an innocent piece of jewelry. No special powers. None at all."

That's a transparent lie.

We were able to ask about this thanks to, again, a good Leadership score.

The key works.

Game Text posted:

You enter the guardhouse. Not surprisingly, it is empty. However, it doesn't look like it has been abandoned for long. There are cloaks hanging on the wall, and the table isn't dusty.

There is a lever in the middle of the room. It is probably the control for the gate.

After rooting around the chest, you pull the lever.

Shanti has already passed through without you.

Game Text posted:

Visitors to Drypeak were expected to sign in in this book. You don't see anything unexpected. Merchants came up here a few times a year. The most recent caravan came through about 3 months ago.

Game Text posted:

This is a weapon stateroom. Host of the racks and shelves are empty. A lot of guards have been taking weapons lately.

One useful thing was left behind, though. There is a baton on the table at the north end of the room.

A baton is a missile weapon. It is a mix of living and nonliving matter, a creature created by Shapers which lives in a thin metal frame. It is bred to spit thorns when its tail is squeezed. The sharp, envenomed thorns can do a lot of damage.

There are also some thorns on the table. This weapon will be very useful.

There are several broken batons, but the intact one is fully loaded.

Game Text posted:

This was the quarters for the captain of the guard. Nobody is here at the moment.

You notice a pair of crystals on the table to the west. These crystals are a useful magical weapon. When thrown at a foe, they turn into powerful bolts of energy.

Crystals are not usually made by Shapers. They are mere rocks, charged with magic, and thus beneath your kind. They are useful nonetheless.

The chest is beyond your skill to open. It's probably also beneath a Shaper to scavenge around someone's private belongings, but the colonists did abandon their own gates, and you've been taking care of the mess they left behind.

Shanti walks up to you quickly. She doesn't look in the mood for conversation.

"Rogues everywhere! The customs gate locked. The main gate unguarded! This is a disgrace!

"Apprentice, always remember this. We Shapers are respected and feared. Why? Because we have great power and keep it secret from outsiders? Because we kill anyone who steals and misuses our powers? In part.

“But we Shapers are respected most of all because we look, to outsiders, flawless. Perfect. We may argue internally, but to the outside world, we never look weak.

"Zakary and Barzahl have failed in this. This settlement makes us look like fools. Now you and I will find them, and we will find out why this disaster has been allowed to happen."

She turns on her heel and strides into the settlement of Drypeak.

Game Text posted:

Finally, you have reached the front gates of Drypeak. You are very relieved by what you hear.

Ahead, floating to you on the wind, you hear the shouts of merchants, the sounds of boots clicking against cobblestone roads, the grunts of the serviles working in the fields.

Drypeak is still a functioning settlement. However, their gate to the outside world is abandoned and overrun with rogues. Why? Hopefully, you and Shanti will be able to solve some of this mystery.

Before you go, you check a crevasse in the natural stone wall just before the inner gate. You're rewarded with an intact healing pod.

The guards even left their utensils behind. Most people in Shaper society eat simple food with a bowl and spoon. The Shapers are concerned with much more lofty pursuits than mere cuisine.

You're not able to get the other door open.

This chest won't open either. Disappointing.

At last, one of the residents of Drypeak has come to greet you. He is a warrior, a captain by the look of him. He looks tired, and his armor is old, worn, and dusty.

He does not look happy to see you

"Welcome, travelers," he begins. "I am Captain Takena. I am sorry that our welcome to you was not timelier, but wanderers in these parts have not been friendly lately. Can l ask you to identify yourselves?"

This response only infuriates Shanti further. "You receive an envoy from the Shapers, and only a mere captain is sent to greet us? This is an insult! Take me to Zakary immediately. I will only speak my business with him."

Takena looks very nervous. He clearly doesn't want to take you anywhere, let alone to his leader. "I am sorry, friend Agent. I see you have traveled far. However, I can't let you proceed without evidence that you have business here."

Shanti is quiet. She seems to be sizing up the situation. Or getting her rage under control. One of the two.

You consider suggesting that perhaps you should both leave. They don't want you here. Instead, you summon your courage and speak. "Our orders are to be delivered to Zakary personally. And he will not appreciate us being delayed."

Personally, I like the option where we remain silent. The game dialogue goes: As the Shapers say, "The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world." You remain silent and see what your teacher does.

Shanti and Takena turn to you, surprised. They both forgot that you were there. Normally, the command of an apprentice carries very little weight.

However, your words strike home. Takena looks doubtful. Shanti presses the advantage. "Our orders must be given to Zakary directly. And it will not go well for anyone if our time is wasted further."

Takena says, “All right. I will take you to Zakary. But beware. We are very aware. Any treachery will be met with blades." He turns and walks off to the north.

Shanti turns to you. "I see you are not a fool. Good. You can follow us right now to meet Zakary, or you can take some time to look around this town first and see what you can learn.

"Either way, come and catch up with us soon, so we can see what we can learn from Zakary." Her use of the word "we" pleases you.

We had this specific option because of our Leadership score. The other conversation options have a slightly different result. Saying the stupid thing gets you chastised, but either way, Shanti has to give something up. Here's how it would've gone if Precipitate had remained silent:

With clear regret, Shanti pulls a scroll out of her vest. She obviously did not want to give up this much information quickly. She hands the paper with her orders to Takena.

He reads it carefully, becoming more distressed with each word. "An inspection? Now? Of all times! Fine. I will take you to Zakary immediately." He starts to walk north.

Before Shanti follows, she turns to you. "I may have a use for you. You can follow us right now to meet Zakary, or you can take some time to look around this town first and see what you can learn.

"Either way, come and catch up with us soon, so you can see what I can learn from Zakary. The lesson in diplomacy will, I am sure, be useful." Shanti walks off after Takena.

You meet one of Drypeak's guards. You aren't surprised to see that he looks tired, dirty, and poorly equipped. He's not dumb, though. He knows enough to stand at attention when a Shaper approaches.

"How have things been going?" you ask.

"We've been fighting rogues. And we'll keep fighting them! Until they are all dead! Or we are!" The guard thinks for a moment. "Or both!"

"What can you tell me about Zakary?"

"He is our leader. He points, I stab."

Admirably straightforward. "Do you know what happened to Barzahl?"

"Uhh... I thought Barzahl died a year ago."

Shanti won't be happy to hear that. "That's all for now. Thanks."

Game Text posted:

You get your first good look at the settlement of Drypeak. It's not as awful as you imagined. It's also not that great, either. The town consists of a handful of shops clustered along the single road.

To the north, you can hear serviles working on Drypeak's excuse for crops. Far to the northwest, you can just make out the entrance to the mine, which is the sole reason Drypeak exists.

Though the ground is mostly barren, there are a number of trees. This actually seems to be one of Drypeak's main problems. They are some sort of special Shaper-made desert tree, designed to grow quickly in extremely harsh conditions.

However, these trees are growing too quickly. They're like weeds, thick, wiry, mostly useless, and desperate to destroy what few roads and structures the serviles have managed to build.

All in all, this place is dry, cramped, and unpleasant. You look forward to meeting with Zakary and Barzahl and getting out.

The sound effects here are standard town noises -- chattering, the sounds of clattering, and the occasional bit of laughter. Though there's very little music in the game, Vogel puts ambient SFX to good use.

One of the guards takes a moment to point you to where you'll be staying while you're here.

Precipitate gains another level by arriving in Drypeak. Unlike G1, the cost to increase skills and abilities rises as your score in that individual ability increases. Reaching 6 in leadership will cost us 3 skill points now.

Leadership unlocks additional conversation options and can help in special encounters. It's a measure of our conversational cunning and our ability to impose our wills on other beings.

Mechanics determines whether we can open locks and disarm traps. It also lets us do a few nifty things we'll see later. A higher mechanics score affects how many living tools unlocking something requires. If your score is high enough, you might not need any tools at all. There is a hard limit on the number of tools in the game, and some things can't be manipulated with the Unlock spell, so this is a handy skill to pump up.

Luck is mostly useful in certain special encounters.

These quarters are positively luxurious. Everything's clean -- or as clean as you can get in such a dusty place -- and someone's even taken the trouble to set out some tea.

You even get a bed!

Game Text posted:

You read the book Shanti left for you. It is a brief description of roughly how the power of the Shapers works:

The whole world is aware of the amazing power of the Shapers to create and mold life. Far fewer are aware of how the process works.

Nobody knows how life is formed. Nobody understands how one egg knows to hatch a chicken, while another knows to hatch an eagle. It is a great mystery how a living thing knows to grow to a certain size or a certain shape.

However, by bombarding living things with certain sorts of magic in certain ways, they will change. Sometimes, they become stronger. Sometimes, they turn into bizarre, horrible mutations.

Shapers experiment by sending energy into creatures in various ways and recording the results. When something helps, this is recorded. Little by little, our techniques evolve and new forms of life appear.

Of course, the exact techniques that improve creatures are great secrets, only rarely revealed, even to students.

After you rest and clean up, you feel stronger. It's time to try to shape an artila. You decide to attempt it privately, where no one can witness any unfortunate mistakes.

Little Zeniel will help quite a bit, though now you have nearly no essence to spare. Before you go, you throw all your excess belongings on the floor, as is the custom of your people.

Outside, we got this message:

Game Text posted:

These buildings look like private homes. Their owners might not appreciate your breaking in.

Further down the road, you can see several shops. There, you can buy and sell supplies.

Game Text posted:

To the east, you can see the entry to a huge, subterranean hall. You expected to find something like this. This will be the warren, where the shaping of the life forms here took place and where the leaders of the settlement live and make decisions.

If you want to find Zakary and Barzahl, this is the most likely place to look. You are as likely to find answers here as anywhere.

Game Text posted:

There are a few patches of crops here, part of Drypeak's pitiful attempt to be self-sufficient. These tired plants were the Shapers' best effort to create grain that can grow here. They just couldn't figure it out.

There are several serviles working in the fields. Serviles are probably the greatest creation of the Shapers. Small, strong, slightly smart, endlessly obedient. They are your most important workers and servants.

Sometimes, some Shapers worry that serviles are too intelligent, too independent to be trusted. Looking at the creatures working here, tireless, obedient and happy, it's hard to believe that this could be true.

You meet a servile, one of many you have met before. Serviles are the most loyal and useful of the Shaper servants, intelligent enough to work independently, but not smart enough to rebel.

Serviles are about five feet tall and heavily built. They are designed to be very agile and muscular. This one looks up at you with the standard calm, blank gaze and says, "Yes, Shaper? How can I serve?"

Its clothes are very dirty. It probably spends all of its time working in the fields.

"What are you doing now?" you ask.

"I wait for commands, Shaper. I do what you want."

"How are you feeling?"

The servile has to think about the question for a minute. "I am... well. Well."

"How do you feel about having to work?"

"I... I..." The servile is very confused. They are made to not be very smart.

"That's all for now. Thanks," you say.

It's time for some discreet theft.

Sign posted:

This old, cracked wooden sign says:

STORAGE BAYS

No removal of supplies without Zakary's permission.

Successfully picking locks through Mechanics or with living tools grants experience.

You find iron bars, sacks of meal, and other sundries in here.

It looks like it has seen recent use.

Game Text posted:

This is the entrance to Drypeak's mine. With great effort, serviles bring iron ore (and occasionally valuable and useful crystals) from the earth.

There are no serviles going in and out, though, and the mine carts look like they haven't been used in several months. The mine is dark and you think you can hear unpleasant hissing coming from within.

It appears that the rogues you met outside Drypeak have taken up residence elsewhere too.

The sign identifies this building as Drypeak's barracks. When the servile behind you turns a corner, you quickly scoop up everything of use.

Guard Captain Takena must still be in the warren. You shut both doors and relieve him of a few burdens.

Game Text posted:

This low, smoky chamber is where the Drypeak's serviles sleep. The simple creatures are very messy. The hall is full of clutter.

There is a firepit in the center of the room. Though this area is dry and hot during the day, it gets rather cold at night.

This woman is Drypeak's keeper. She is in charge of looking after the serviles and other creations in the town. Thus, she is a very busy woman.

As she cleans up the mugs and plates alter their last meal, she looks up at you. "Yes, Shaper? How can I help you?"

Keeper Thossila is still trying to clean up the mess after the serviles' last meal. They are not clean eaters. It's quite a job.

"You are in charge of looking after the serviles?"

"Yes, the poor dears. This environment is not kind to them. Of course, it's not kind to all of us. But they are simpler, like children. It makes them act out," she replies. "It can be quite a trial."

"Act out?" you ask. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you must be able to imagine. Refusing to work, to obey. I love them, the little dears. But they are like children. And, when they are bad, they must be disciplined like children.

“Fortunately, a few missed meals and the occasional time in restraints solve the bulk of the problems. I'm sure you approve."

You nod. "Well done. Your restraint in their control is admirable." Only trustworthy outsiders can be put in charge of serviles. Someone with bad judgment or a poor temper would abuse them.

"Thank you, Shaper. When I'm making sure they know to obey, I also do my best to be kind. As I said, they are like children."

"How have the serviles been doing lately?"

"It is strange, but sometimes the serviles give me these looks. It's as if they're smarter than they should be." She looks pensive. "Shaper, if you have time and would speak with the serviles, I would appreciate it. I believe one of them is unusually intelligent."

Interesting, and potentially troublesome. If the rogue problem spreads among the serviles, Drypeak's challenges will only intensify. "Have you had any problems worse than just misbehavior?"

She looks quite upset. The situation with the serviles is clearly bothering her. "The poor things. The rogues hunt them down first. They're easy prey. It has been especially bad in the mines."

"Tell me more about the problems in the mines."

“Rogues. Rogues attacking. Serviles being eaten by rogues. And so on.

"But the worst part is the ones I don't know about. During the last attack, three of my serviles ran further into the mines. I don't know what happened to them, and it worries me terribly.

“If you could find out what happened to them and. if possible, bring them back to me. I would be so grateful." She looks honestly distraught.

"I'll look into it," you say. You hope you get the chance. Shanti may not allow it.

Next time: Beginner Diplomacy

:siren: Vote! :siren:

Obviously we're going to look into this business with smart serviles. If we find anything conclusive, will we:

A. Turn the servile in, or

B. Avoid giving Thossila anything to worry about, and lie?

Please bold your choice, or I might not see it. You've got at least a few hours to decide.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
A. Turn in the servile. Our mentor is right here, and we're close to unlocking the secrets of the Shapers. No reason for us to screw that up after how long we've been working to get this far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
B. Lie

There's something going on here. Something very wrong, and we should totally learn more. And the residents aren't talking, but maybe this intelligent servile will.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A. Turn in the servile.

I've really enjoyed the previous one. Pace yourself and don't burn out.

Also, can I get a pet? :shobon:

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

A. Turn in the servile

An intelligent one could be put to better use than working the farm or mines, and if it's a rogue it needs to be put down. Either way, it should be reported if discovered.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
B. Avoid giving Thossila anything to worry about, and lie?

I always sympathized with the serviles too much not to take their side most of the time.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

B secrets are valuable, time to accumulate some.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
B, let's start building our local power base by getting someone indebted to us.

Something I found interesting from the introduction: it is apparently routine that Shapers need to perform extensive Shaping just to be able to establish new colonies. What the hell happened to the biosphere of this place, that extensively-evolved, complex animals and (apparent) humans exist, but not the plant life that those animals would normally depend on? Sucia Island in Geneforge 1 had the excuse that poor containment of prior experiments had turned the place into a Superfund site, but apparently that's a common problem in the Shapers' demesne.

I'm getting a distinct post-apocalyptic feel from this, is what I'm saying.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I think the implication is that Shaping has absolutely hosed the biosphere. Like before we had the modern rules and such people went wild with creating whatever and it absolutely ravaged the planet. You see hints of this in things like the Giant Rat bio where even relatively controlled experiments get loose and oops now giant rats are everywhere.

Imagine you could make custom invasive species before it was really understood how much natural habitats could be hosed by the introduction of a super predator that could hunt prey to extinction. Or a plant that could kill all others by aggressively growing and spreading faster.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I had thought it was partly that Shapers tended to put colonies in places other peoples wouldn't, because they can take a lovely scrubland and make it fertile.

E: Also, B. We're here to investigate and finding and questioning some weirdness seems more valuable than turning it in immediately. Especially when we're not sure if we can trust the people of this settlement yet.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 5, 2017

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I really enjoyed the previous LP, so I'm gonna be watching this with glee.
Voting B for now, and please put me on the creature-list, if there's still space.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Oh boy, the second game of the series. good luck. As for the vote, B Because a servile's perspective of what's going on in this town might be extremely useful.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Option B. No reason to rock the boat here; what she doesn't know can't hurt much.

Also, with regards to the Shaping, I think it's worth noting that this place was a remote desert backwater before the Shapers got there. The Shapers apparently use their powers mostly to colonize in crummy areas - the places that are naturally fertile don't get heavy Shaper involvement because it's not needed.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Okay, voting is closed. Option B is the winner; Precipitate isn't a narc!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

Also, with regards to the Shaping, I think it's worth noting that this place was a remote desert backwater before the Shapers got there. The Shapers apparently use their powers mostly to colonize in crummy areas - the places that are naturally fertile don't get heavy Shaper involvement because it's not needed.

What gets me is that they're described as doing this routinely, which suggests there's an awful lot of barren wilderness out there.

I guess that could be explained as having a planet that's largely composed of desert or badlands. I'm used to thinking about wilderness as having a fair amount of natural vegetation and wildlife, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, after last game, seeing "proper" serviles actually feels wrong somehow.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
A. Turn in the servile : a small, backwards town isn't going to be the heart of some witchhunt. Act like the Shaper you're supposed to become and do your duty; we have no compelling reason to do otherwise.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What gets me is that they're described as doing this routinely, which suggests there's an awful lot of barren wilderness out there.

Presumably they don't just terraform the barren regions into livable ones. They probably also terraform less hostile regions so they've got their preferred crops around, their preferred fodder for their preferred animals, etc. like, I imagine that they homogenize a lot of the regions they encounter to simplify things for themselves, and to establish their power.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

It's time for some discreet theft.

Successfully picking locks through Mechanics or with living tools grants experience.

I've always found it funny exactly how fast everyone becomes a kleptomaniac in these games, no matter how squeaky-clean one is morally in every other respect. Eh, they probably didn't need their precious jewels and stacks of animal skins anyway.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

That is exactly the comment I was going to make when I read the previous post. :argh:

Glad to see another TIWWW reader though. :v:

Edit: Holy crap, that's a lot of posts since I last refreshed. Oops!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've always found it funny exactly how fast everyone becomes a kleptomaniac in these games, no matter how squeaky-clean one is morally in every other respect. Eh, they probably didn't need their precious jewels and stacks of animal skins anyway.

Just call Precipitate "Lady Shakedown"!

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016
I'm willing to serve the multi-national Shaper peoples. Put my name in the hat.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You might consider picking names at random instead of in order, or at any rate being a lot more willing to send shaped critters on suicide missions. I think you have more volunteers than you'll need for the entire game, at this point. :v:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

You might consider picking names at random instead of in order, or at any rate being a lot more willing to send shaped critters on suicide missions. I think you have more volunteers than you'll need for the entire game, at this point. :v:

This post has cursed idonotlikepeas the fyora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
A: Let us do our job, our duties and nothing more.