Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 7

Update 7 Video

Today we're headed back into Caliburgh, but instead of a brawl we get a cut scene. A dark-robed figure, almost immediately given the name "Badfic" because he looks and acts like a fanfic villain, is taunting a swordsman who looks like an off-brand version of Link. He's not pleased at the interruption and fails to kill us with his magic, resulting in some dialogue about "Children of Light" that will make more sense later. Maybe. Anyway, he teleports off to parts unknown and leaves us to fight three killer robots. When it's all said and done we have a new party member thanks to King Doric's diplomacy:

Terry

There's no way to really be nice about this... Terry's kind of an rear end in a top hat, and not in an entertaining way. He's got a whole complex about being the best and how everyone should stay out of his way, but he doesn't really back it up in practice. He also doesn't improve as a character over time. Terry evidently comes from Dragon Quest 6 so I'm not too familiar with him, but his role in this game is lightning-elemental clone of the main characters. He's got a few neat tricks like learning Miracle Slash, and lighting can hit robotic weak points, but since our main character also has Zap that really doesn't make him valuable enough to keep around.

Edvarius posted:

Right, caught up on this thread now. The game seems... interesting, though I'm not sure I'd actually be any good at it. Still, I'm enjoying the characters, though I feel a little bad for Luceus. He tries to approach problems in a rational manner, but both his boss and coworker are have a strong preference for CHARGE! and nothing else. And then Alena joins, who's pretty much that only somehow moreso. I can't imagine the frustration that guy must be feeling.

Also, story wise I find it interesting that Alena and Kiryl were chasing a thief when they crossed worlds. And Alena at least seems to think that the thief is on this world somewhere. I admit it's been a while since I've played DQ4, but wasn't the only thief the Tsarevna had to deal with in her chapter the ones that kidnapped her imposter to trade for the bracelet? And wasn't that bracelet connected to the Secret of Evolution? I dunno if trying to obtain that was why there was a portal in the first place, but if it wasn't then Mr. Malevolent Mustachioed Mage might find himself with something a bit more monstrous than he was prepared to control.

Don't worry, I'm not sure I'm that good at it either but I'm having fun. The worst thing for Luceus is that so often it turns out that his boss and coworker actually turn out to be right when they just charge in. It works out for them, despite all of his careful planning going to waste. It makes me think of Frank Grimes in the Simpsons as he watches Homer blunder to success. Although I will note that on a number of occasions Aurora actually agrees with Luceus's plan, she just wants him to hurry up and get to the point.

That's a good point about why Alena and Kiryl were here. It's not covered until later, but all of the characters are essentially being plucked from their individual games at a specific point in time. So there's something to what you're talking about what the villain and what he might have ended up with.

AltaBrown posted:

I did a lot of grinding. So much grinding.

The game doesn't really require a lot of skill, just persistence.

The genuine Dragon Quest experience! I will say that skill does play a role, as I'm having a much easier time this playthrough than the first time I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Terry just can't catch a break. He's an rear end in Dragon Quest VI and joins far too late to be of any use, bringing nothing to the table that your party shouldn't already have. You could easily pluck him out and nothing would change

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is talking about the plot ok?
What is a Sweet Success for your alchemy pot?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is talking about the plot ok?
What is a Sweet Success for your alchemy pot?

As long as you don't dig too deep into the future... speculation or reaction to what we've currently seen is fine, but it's good to not get too far ahead.

A sweet success gives you a "+1" modifier on the item and a random bonus on top of the normal accessory effect. You can also meld accessories to get new effects, but I haven't messed around with that too much.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Terry just can't catch a break. He's an rear end in Dragon Quest VI and joins far too late to be of any use, bringing nothing to the table that your party shouldn't already have. You could easily pluck him out and nothing would change

That's a fair description. It's just really sad that in this case coming in far to late to be of any use and bringing nothing new to the table happens within a couple hours of starting the game.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I never used Terry, and I don't think I even leveled him up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Terry is useful as a DPS guy, like Alena. Or I think he's DPS, anyway considering his skillset is similar to hers.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like defense beats out offense in this game. Your human allies are extremely good at dodging attacks. How does difficulty work in this game?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I wanna say Terry has some of the best DPS in the game - at least, a walkthrough for something tough later on used him.

Didn't stop me from benching him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah uh Terry is way more than lightning flavored protags, he can clone himself and output insane damage, since his attacks are better than the Tsarevna's.

Plus I kind of liked him even without playing DQ6, but that's just because I thought the protags were pretty dopey.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like Antonio Banderas here. It feels like he's got a good sense for banter.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am as always late to the party but I feel I need to contribute to the discussion about Female armour in the first episode. The separated boob plate that she has would pretty much guide any projectiles and/or sword/axe hits towards the middle and the most vulnerable part of her. So yeah, bad idea, bad armour.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a two day Steam sale on both games. 50% and 33% off. Not sure when the SE store will have a sale.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 8

Update 8 Video

Today we're diving into a bit of the quest mechanics before moving on. While a lot of quests are things like "bring me three bear asses" or "murder sixteen bears" there are some quests where you have to go into a previously played map and wreak some havoc to meet the quest objective. I consider those to be a bit more entertaining than grinding for drops so I'm going to include them, unless people start getting tired of random levels that aren't actually moving things forward.

After that we're off to the forest city of Sylvea, which as anybody who's been within a quarter mile of a fantasy novel would expect is the home of the elves. They're not visible when we get there and don't seem to have a bad-rear end mayor to hold down the fort so it's all up to us. On the upside, we do have some new enemies since it's a new area as well as the traditional palette swaps.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Looks like defense beats out offense in this game. Your human allies are extremely good at dodging attacks. How does difficulty work in this game?

It's pretty much a case of selecting your difficulty by how much you want to grind. There's not really a difficulty setting per se, although some of the maps and challenges have more difficult versions that you unlock by completing the initial version. When you go back to old maps to skirmish you can select a difficulty for the map which determines what level and what kind of enemies will be there.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I wanna say Terry has some of the best DPS in the game - at least, a walkthrough for something tough later on used him.

Didn't stop me from benching him.

Endorph posted:

Yeah uh Terry is way more than lightning flavored protags, he can clone himself and output insane damage, since his attacks are better than the Tsarevna's.

Plus I kind of liked him even without playing DQ6, but that's just because I thought the protags were pretty dopey.

I may have been too harsh on Terry since I warmed up to him a bit when I used him this weekend while grinding, but I still feel as though he doesn't add much and even by the standards of Dragon Quest storytelling his character doesn't go very far. He's just such a tool.

Thesaya posted:

I am as always late to the party but I feel I need to contribute to the discussion about Female armour in the first episode. The separated boob plate that she has would pretty much guide any projectiles and/or sword/axe hits towards the middle and the most vulnerable part of her. So yeah, bad idea, bad armour.

Sadly, artistic style and the need to ensure that everyone understand that this is a woman who has boobs tends to play second fiddle to actual practicality. I'm sure some people have addressed this, but I imagine that the most practical armor would probably look something like Saber's from Fate Stay Night - a solid plate with padding presumably contoured on the inside rather than the outside.

Glazius posted:

I like Antonio Banderas here. It feels like he's got a good sense for banter.

We shall have ample opportunities to sample his banter, and discuss his resemblance to Antonio Banderas. As you can see from my previous save file we've got a lot of game still ahead.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those birds were called Wyverns on the NES, right? Fire monsters were not bad in the first game, but the second game was not balanced at all for them. It was like 7th Saga for most of that game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hm. Yeah, DQ's never really been big on archer characters, so nobody's going to knock those Chimeras out of the sky.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 9

Update 9 Video

Today we're opening the gates of Sylvea, but first we have to clear out the rabble hanging around outside. This includes our first encounter with a metal slime, which does not go as planned. When it's all said and done we can afford some new gear, and then there's a quest for a new ability for our main character that we'll get to... next time. In addition to two more characters.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Those birds were called Wyverns on the NES, right? Fire monsters were not bad in the first game, but the second game was not balanced at all for them. It was like 7th Saga for most of that game.

I'd almost forgotten that, but you're right. I can't remember if they kept the prefixes for the later versions so it'll be interesting to see. I think the second game the main issue was having a squishy mage character and not really having any great multi-heal options. The real thing I remember from that one is the late-game enemies who had party-wipe instant death spells.

Glazius posted:

Hm. Yeah, DQ's never really been big on archer characters, so nobody's going to knock those Chimeras out of the sky.

We do have an archer character coming, but I don't know if they're actually any better at knocking them out of the sky. Luckily magic and jumping will usually do the trick pretty well.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The second game was so badly balanced the remake added a couple more mage weapons, since they rarely killed monsters. Levels could be 1 HP and nothing else for any character and casters had half the stats of the shitkicker hero. Also lets you hold one revive the entire game and have the next to last area be a super long death march with group-killing casters and meatwall giants. That was made to be unbalanced compared to what they originally had with 7th Saga.

Having an inventory limit like that looks to be a terrible idea and they still let you exceed the limit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Heh. The trial music is your solo protagonist music from DQ4. Wreck 'em one, children of heaven.

...also Alena wondering if they're related to the DQ4 elves is kind of sad, considering the fate of the one prominent elf in that game.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 10

Update 10 Video

Today's adventures start with earning the Zoom spell, which is going to be utterly critical once we start having to deal with defending multiple locations. It does just what you would think, allowing us to teleport around the map to certain pre-determined points once we've unlocked them. Our next mission to Sylvea is that kind of event. We no sooner arrive then we've got two familiar faces as new companions, who've been sent to help:

Jessica

Described by one person in the stream as more decolletage than woman, Jessica hails from Dragon Quest 8 and is the descendant of a line of sages. As you'd expect, her skill set runs heavily toward elemental magic and whip attacks, along with weaponized sex appeal. She can be tricky to use, but is actually a pretty good option who can hit all elemental weaknesses in one package.

Yangus

A reformed bandit, Yangus comes from Dragon Quest 8 as well and his entire deal is hitting things with axes. Hard. He can also attract monster attention, and he's got a defensive stance that can be used to tank attacks. He's a disreputable but honest sort, and he often makes use of Cockney rhyming slang.

We'll be streaming tonight at the usual time and place.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The second game was so badly balanced the remake added a couple more mage weapons, since they rarely killed monsters. Levels could be 1 HP and nothing else for any character and casters had half the stats of the shitkicker hero. Also lets you hold one revive the entire game and have the next to last area be a super long death march with group-killing casters and meatwall giants. That was made to be unbalanced compared to what they originally had with 7th Saga.

Having an inventory limit like that looks to be a terrible idea and they still let you exceed the limit.

When it comes to Dragon Quest 2, I am in full agreement.

The inventory limit is kind of weird and it's usually not a problem, because one of the first quests they give you is a way to increase that limit. If I'd had one more grubby bandage it wouldn't have been a problem at all.

Glazius posted:

Heh. The trial music is your solo protagonist music from DQ4. Wreck 'em one, children of heaven.

...also Alena wondering if they're related to the DQ4 elves is kind of sad, considering the fate of the one prominent elf in that game.

That's true, although depending on where in the timeline she was plucked from she might not even know that yet.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 28, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shame we left the ero bandit to get brutally murdered by Golem and Hunter Robots, while we chat up a vampire slaying woman. I am sure those Elves can defend themselves.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, I'd really like a Dragon Quest VI LP. Either version. Tendales did a great one of V, but VI doesn't seem to get much love

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Getting ready to start the stream now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Luceus needs to learn the power of brevity.

But that would make Aurora redundant. Alas.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Magic Burst? I guess Jessica maxed out her Fisticuffs stat. Which makes it a bit odd she's using a whip in battle. Also, they weren't sent in by a friend specifically to help? I'm guessing that friend had feathers, though this does make me wonder what Empyrea's interest in this particular world is. Or I suppose it's possible she's just being nice. Still, this makes the placement of their being here odd. Once you've dealt with Empyrea's quest you're (supposedly) racing the clock to stop the villain (in the JRPG sense, so you know, hours of sidequests and grinding). Which would make the most logical time for this to take place after that game is over. Or at the very least between beating the villain and the epilogue.

Although if Empyrea is the one doing the gathering of heroes it makes me kinda wish that we'd get somebody from 3 here... but that seems extremely unlikely as the only unique PC from that one is the hero, and it seems pretty unlikely they're gonna bring in mains here. They'd have to give the silent protagonists lines for one thing. And names. Which is unfortunate, as I'd love to see "the guv" show everybody else what a proper super-high tension beatdown looks like. Or have Rocket show Healix how a real slime fights.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 11

Update 11 Video

No sooner do we get started tonight than we're in a boss battle with not one, but two bosses. This is a gimmick fight where one boss heals the other, but if you know the trick it's actually not really all that complicated. After the battle Jessica and Yangus are officially with us, and we're off to the final town that's under siege. It's Grannet, and if you guessed that it's where the dwarves live then.. well, you're on the same wave length as the writers here.

As a note, we're going on vacation next week so there won't be a stream. All of the videos from last nights stream, however, will be posted before we go.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Luceus needs to learn the power of brevity.

But that would make Aurora redundant. Alas.

You can see why we went with Aurora out of the two choices.

Scalding Coffee posted:

A shame we left the ero bandit to get brutally murdered by Golem and Hunter Robots, while we chat up a vampire slaying woman. I am sure those Elves can defend themselves.

And now I'm imagining Castlevania with Jessica as the main protagonist. Now I'm a bit curious, but I don't know that this game is robust enough to have actually changed things based on who you followed. Might have ended up with Jessica regardless.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You know, I'd really like a Dragon Quest VI LP. Either version. Tendales did a great one of V, but VI doesn't seem to get much love

That is kind of weird. I'd have expected someone to have gotten around to it by now.

Edvarius posted:

Magic Burst? I guess Jessica maxed out her Fisticuffs stat. Which makes it a bit odd she's using a whip in battle. Also, they weren't sent in by a friend specifically to help? I'm guessing that friend had feathers, though this does make me wonder what Empyrea's interest in this particular world is. Or I suppose it's possible she's just being nice. Still, this makes the placement of their being here odd. Once you've dealt with Empyrea's quest you're (supposedly) racing the clock to stop the villain (in the JRPG sense, so you know, hours of sidequests and grinding). Which would make the most logical time for this to take place after that game is over. Or at the very least between beating the villain and the epilogue.

Although if Empyrea is the one doing the gathering of heroes it makes me kinda wish that we'd get somebody from 3 here... but that seems extremely unlikely as the only unique PC from that one is the hero, and it seems pretty unlikely they're gonna bring in mains here. They'd have to give the silent protagonists lines for one thing. And names. Which is unfortunate, as I'd love to see "the guv" show everybody else what a proper super-high tension beatdown looks like. Or have Rocket show Healix how a real slime fights.

If this is post-endgame Jessica, I suppose it makes sense that she could have maxed a couple of skill trees. There's a bit more about how the plucking of people works, but it would definitely have to be very late in the Dragon Quest VIII timeline since you don't find out about Empyrea until right before the last couple of dungeons.

Sadly 3 has the problem of not having many characters with actual personalities. That was pretty much from DQ4 on. I'm going to be interested in who DQ8 introduces.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I remember my poor merchant building a town and then going to jail in it and an old man looking to promote into a little girl.
Can all your attacks and magic only hit level 3?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 12

Update 12 Video

Now that I actually remembered to put some points into Jessica and Yangus's skills it's time to actually show them off while defending one of the roots of the World Tree. After that, our next mission finally gets down to the main storyline for Grannet: a lost princess and her two new friends. We'll talk about them more later, but fans of Dragon Quest V will probably recognize them. There's still a long road ahead before they'll actually be joining our party.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I remember my poor merchant building a town and then going to jail in it and an old man looking to promote into a little girl.
Can all your attacks and magic only hit level 3?

Those would have been far more memorable than most of the main player characters. Level 3 is indeed the maximum for any ability. This game front-loads a lot of your abilities if you go that way, and the key to victory is acquiring those skills and mastering them earlier.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are metal enemies subject to leaving the battle after a while?

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
So, Bianca and Nera? This is... odd. I mean, going by DQ5 canon, while both of them have the potential to get married to the hero, only one of them does, but they both say they're going to get married soon. And only Nera was expecting that, as the contest was for her hand specifically. And neither of them had the extensive adventuring experience claimed here at that point. OK, Bianca had a bit, but Nera has none whatsoever before the hero potentially marries her. So this is evidently taking them from some alternate timeline. One where polygamy is apparently legal. Well, I suppose the more mundane explanation would be that Nera got engaged to that one guy whose name I forget after the hero turned down the chance to marry her to ask Bianca instead, and really the writers were probably just trying to make it ambiguous as to who it was going to be here, but I find it more amusing to imagine that the hero was subjected to harem anime shenanigans even after tying the knot.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Or someone/Dragon God hacked them both into his party

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Edvarius posted:

So, Bianca and Nera? This is... odd. I mean, going by DQ5 canon, while both of them have the potential to get married to the hero, only one of them does, but they both say they're going to get married soon. And only Nera was expecting that, as the contest was for her hand specifically. And neither of them had the extensive adventuring experience claimed here at that point. OK, Bianca had a bit, but Nera has none whatsoever before the hero potentially marries her. So this is evidently taking them from some alternate timeline. One where polygamy is apparently legal. Well, I suppose the more mundane explanation would be that Nera got engaged to that one guy whose name I forget after the hero turned down the chance to marry her to ask Bianca instead, and really the writers were probably just trying to make it ambiguous as to who it was going to be here, but I find it more amusing to imagine that the hero was subjected to harem anime shenanigans even after tying the knot.
There is actually a one night window for both Nera and Bianca to think they may get married. Hero V was participating in a contest for Nera's hand (or rather the Zenithian Shield), but upon completing the contest, Nera discovered that Bianca was in love with Hero V, announced that discovery out loud and more or less suggested a hero V/Bianca marriage instead. At this point Nera's father gave Hero V one night to sleep on it and decide on who to marry. Bianca and Nera has to be spirited away into this world at that very night in order for it to make sense and we also need to assume that time spent this world moves much quicker than time in world V.

That said, Nera's attitude towards marrying Hero V was more along the line of accepting than enthusiastic. Unless the ROM translation I used made poo poo up, she was actually supporting that Hero V marries Bianca instead of her. This one night window also doesn't solve the problem of Nera having no combat or adventuring experience whatsoever.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Yeah but I find Nera more useful in battle. Plus blue hair is always better. And free Water Flying Cloths are great too

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
When you get the two, you would have to allocate their points, which is a big deal for making them strong. We all played games where level does not match the fighting skills of characters, so most game plots really don't care about character levels. You always have villages filled with people who are surrounded by shitkicker monsters, yet they manage to stay alive, despite what merchants are selling. The plot doesn't care about that, but it is centered around the hero.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 13

Update 13 Video

Today we're finishing up our mission guarding young Beryl, and after that we can finally get a bit on information about what's going on with our two new friends. Their story is starting to sound pretty familiar, but there's still some details to be fleshed out. Meanwhile, we've still got to find Beryl's father and fiance if we want to solve the problems in Grannet so we're heading into the tunnels and through the halls to see if we can't find them.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are metal enemies subject to leaving the battle after a while?

They are. It's not entirely predictable, but you only get so many chances to attack them and they've evasive as anything. The best way to get them is with a high tension attack, but even that's not entirely reliable since they're fast enough to get around you in the time between triggering tension and executing the attack.

Edvarius posted:

Crystalgate posted:

There is actually a one night window for both Nera and Bianca to think they may get married. Hero V was participating in a contest for Nera's hand (or rather the Zenithian Shield), but upon completing the contest, Nera discovered that Bianca was in love with Hero V, announced that discovery out loud and more or less suggested a hero V/Bianca marriage instead. At this point Nera's father gave Hero V one night to sleep on it and decide on who to marry. Bianca and Nera has to be spirited away into this world at that very night in order for it to make sense and we also need to assume that time spent this world moves much quicker than time in world V.

That said, Nera's attitude towards marrying Hero V was more along the line of accepting than enthusiastic. Unless the ROM translation I used made poo poo up, she was actually supporting that Hero V marries Bianca instead of her. This one night window also doesn't solve the problem of Nera having no combat or adventuring experience whatsoever.

And with that, you've pretty much got the situation sorted out. In this update it confirms that they were plucked out of their own world that night while both out for a walk. The writers just like to be very coy about what's going on, and I don't recall if or when they really explain that one of the two of them is getting married.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Yeah but I find Nera more useful in battle. Plus blue hair is always better. And free Water Flying Cloths are great too

Not sure if you're talking in DQ5 or here. I think I'm finding Bianca more useful, but Nera in this game has some very unique abilities and can actually affect a wide area on the battlefield.

Scalding Coffee posted:

When you get the two, you would have to allocate their points, which is a big deal for making them strong. We all played games where level does not match the fighting skills of characters, so most game plots really don't care about character levels. You always have villages filled with people who are surrounded by shitkicker monsters, yet they manage to stay alive, despite what merchants are selling. The plot doesn't care about that, but it is centered around the hero.

In addition, just in this update they've participated in the killing of literally hundreds of monsters. That'll help boost anybody up a few levels.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do the girls also have an implied backstory of having similar ancestry?

It is going to be so funny when you are controlling the bubble wand and see many slow projectiles float past everything.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is your party going to be stuck at 4? I realize that's DQ traditional at this point but those hordes of monsters seem like they need more bodies lined up against them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is what your minions are for.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Update 14

Update 14 Video

We're about ready to finish up Grannet, but before we do that we've got a session with Gragwort. Seems we've been maxing out at a measly 5 tension, so he's going to teach us how to kick it up to 20 and raise our high tension damage to around 1,000. After that we finally find the Foreman of the Dwarves and Beryl's fiance, but they're being chased around by a huge statue. The upside is that after the boss battle we've finally got our two newest party members:

Bianca

Hailing from Dragon Quest V, Bianca is the main character's childhood friend and adventuring companion. She's a country sort with I believe a Cornwall accent, and tends to be a bit on the less refined side. Her specialty in this game is archery, including some great wide-area attacks and her ordinary attacks being chargeable. She's also involved in a love triangle of sorts with:

Nera

Nera is the main character from Dragon Quest V's arranged bride, but gives him an out when she discovers that he and Bianca have had a thing for literally years. Being a refined lady she doesn't have much experience as an adventurer but does have a wide array of magical abilities that can turn her into a person of mass destruction if you know how to use them.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do the girls also have an implied backstory of having similar ancestry?

It is going to be so funny when you are controlling the bubble wand and see many slow projectiles float past everything.

Not that I'm aware of, but I imagine that's once again a case of Toriyama and the Seven Faces. I tried to Nera's abilities in tomorrow's video, but I kind of got into a bind and had to stop.

quote:

Glazius posted:

Is your party going to be stuck at 4? I realize that's DQ traditional at this point but those hordes of monsters seem like they need more bodies lined up against them.

Scalding Coffee posted:

That is what your minions are for.

The artificial stupidity of the AI controlled characters makes it so that adding more of them wouldn't really help things very much. You're still going to be responsible for about 3/4 of the carnage. That said, minions do help even things up and have the bonus of being something that you can place and leave rather than following you around all the time.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Quick question that's been bothering me. Is Aurora saying Pleasant slash or Crescent slash or Peasant slash? I really can't tell at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Blizzard Slash.

We are going to slay the Ender Dragon.

• Locked thread