Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The XKCD Larper posted:

Didnt read thread but assume every one is complaining about Audio, the one linux thing I have never had a problem with

It's a meme. Linux audio hasn't been an issue ever since creative sound cards fell out of fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
*that linux* is bad but if you just used *this linux* and spent a few hours searching forums and wikis and editing configuration scripts it would be good

vs.

an OS that works

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qhat posted:

It's a meme. Linux audio hasn't been an issue ever since creative sound cards fell out of fashion.

last time I tried installing fedora like a year ago my audio didn't work and i gave up on it. I have a bog standard realtek chip. Works in windows and macos just fine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

also getting nvidia set up is a nightmare for no goddamn reason

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

qhat posted:

flash on linux made audio a nightmare for a long time. it used loving open sound system or whatever that poo poo is called, and so if you wanted to watch something you had to kill ALL other applications that could possibly emit a beep through your speakers

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the main prob with linux is when u hit a error, ur stuck forever. with programming langs, u get a useful error and first result on google will help u. with linux, you have to read a billion man pages and none of the thibgs you try help or get you any closer. its good to be challenged in order to be motivated to do ur job, but linux is all about 100% roadblocks that arent interesting to solve

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

akadajet posted:

last time I tried installing fedora like a year ago my audio didn't work and i gave up on it. I have a bog standard realtek chip. Works in windows and macos just fine

"not in an issue anymore" in linux speak actually means "in theory it's not an issue but if your laptop isn't specifically built for linux, then yeah it's gonna be an issue"

you can apply that to anything related to linux on consumer devices

obstipator posted:

the main prob with linux is when u hit a error, ur stuck forever. with programming langs, u get a useful error and first result on google will help u. with linux, you have to read a billion man pages and none of the thibgs you try help or get you any closer. its good to be challenged in order to be motivated to do ur job, but linux is all about 100% roadblocks that arent interesting to solve

p much

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

"not in an issue anymore" in linux speak actually means "in theory it's not an issue but if your laptop isn't specifically built for linux, then yeah it's gonna be an issue"

you can apply that to anything related to linux on consumer devices

p much

don't buy a device with known problems if you're going to Linux. if you're using Linux to get some life out of ancient hardware then putting up with bullshit is par for the course

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I dunno whether it's because i'm just so epic at setting linux up to actually work, but the last time i had to modify a configuration file was about 6 months ago to blackhole a hostname

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I can even play Counter Strike: Global Offensive on linux no probs and pro framerates

pram
Jun 10, 2001

obstipator posted:

keeps me employed op hth

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL that you can get stuck in a login loop on linux. thanks for that one, x.org

edit: and remember, as lovely as it can be, x.org is miles better than xfree86 :laugh:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 28, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pram posted:

keeps me employed op hth

i don't think that helps him at all, pram

hth

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my professional advice is dont use desktop linux

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qhat posted:

sorry, but this is sort of a bad post. linux audio is funny because they have kept screwing *themselves* over in strange ways, it is one of those areas where the hardware has not been that much of an issue (e.g., notably, linux hilariously broke all audio for many years with the overengineered ALSA just as hardware mixing and similar became a completely irrelevant feature). creative hardware was especially straightforward, as it was always perfectly sb16-compatible, and the sb16 was and is one of those mindlessly simplistic sinks for audio data

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Just Works for me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one has to imagine that the alsa designers saw the deeply microsoft-flavor directsound, where you enumerated an interface which let you set up a callback to enumerate the audio formats, to only in practice have every application pick 44100hz/16bit pcm from the enumeration, or crash if it did not show up, and said "well, we can do better". they then set things up so you enumerated interfaces on which you enumerated outputs on which you enumerated access policies on which you enumerated format specification styles on which you enumerated formats, only to crash if you didn't find a interface, or an output on it, or a policy, or a format specification on that, or a format on that, which precisely agreed with what you expected

not factual at all btw, alsa was just overly general in a way not at all relevant by the time it stabilized

pulseaudio is 100% the correct solution though (in fact shockingly pragmatic for linux software), and the pain getting onto that was worth it if nerds don't turn and break it again

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Enumerate my balls.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
linux rulez, anything that involves xorg droolz

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

emoji posted:

Enumerate my balls.
OK
code:
enum Balls {LEFT,RIGHT,SEE_A_DOCTOR};

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol we let our devs use linux if they want so one of them decided he wanted to run arch instead of what we recommend (centos) and he doesnt know how to configure it for poo poo, cant get the wifi card working, so he has to check out a loaner laptop from IT every time he has a web meeting. but my boss doesnt want to force him to reinstall windows, the operating system that he actually knows how to use. smdh.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

my bitter bi rival posted:

lol we let our devs use linux if they want so one of them decided he wanted to run arch instead of what we recommend (centos) and he doesnt know how to configure it for poo poo, cant get the wifi card working, so he has to check out a loaner laptop from IT every time he has a web meeting. but my boss doesnt want to force him to reinstall windows, the operating system that he actually knows how to use. smdh.

he sounds like someone who shouldn't be using linux let alone arch linux

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

which all seems fine, but then forcing him to install centos instead seems perfectly reasonable (i assume you have solutions lined up for wifi etc at that point, and giving him a hand to preserve his home dir and whatnot)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qhat posted:

he sounds like someone who shouldn't be using linux let alone arch linux

this is entirely correct.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

he also has a centos desktop and cant explain why he needs two linux machines esp when he cant even do his job on one of them. he is also a cs phd :rant:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

my bitter bi rival posted:

he is also a cs phd :rant:

this explains everything

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qhat posted:

this explains everything

lmao ya

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
sounds like a bad OS (for an idiot to use, at the computer olympics)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

obstipator posted:

idk what that is and im going to ignore your suggestion and just use windows

aix was a more elegant weapon for a more civilised age

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

emoji posted:

Enumerate my balls.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

soothing pastels. i like it

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the largest aix community im aware of is sick with anime :cry:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
fedora gnome combines the power and speed of fedora with the epic window management and grace of gnome 3. blissful. i rather use this OS than pump the cum from my balls onto the floor, OP. truly incredible.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

why not do both?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my second job was as an aix admin (they were using db2 obv) i remember getting a bunch of new power 7 servers they were sick as gently caress. everything else was terrible though and i missed linux :negative:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

it weighed like 300 lbs lol

JPEGBabes
Jul 3, 2013

Hooge used to be cool.
OP will never experience pure bliss with i3wm.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
linux is cool cus it makes me feel like hacker man just like the yospos style does

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I've never met or talked to anyone who used or recommended gentoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

its reason for existing is pretty simple really: linux from scratch is a fun hobbyist thing, but too difficult for a lot of people. so what if you made linux from scratch except you didn't do anything from scratch?

the kind of people who enjoy it sort of follows directly from those origins

• Locked thread