Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you care about Ruby Ridge?
The federal government hosed up and murdered two people
If you care about this you're probably a skinhead, just sayin'
View Results

• Locked thread
Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
im the fbi guy who shot a woman holding a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
The one thing that always gets lost when talking about Ruby Ridge and Waco is that it wasn't really two separate incidents. It was already mentioned that the strong response from the government in Waco was a follow on to this to set an example, but it's not really ever mentioned that the feeling was mutual on the part of the Branch Davidians, which is why they shot first and didn't ask questions.

Ruby Ridge was a colossal fuckup.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

im the fbi guy who shot a woman holding a baby

it was just going to grow up to be meth-addicted white trash anyway. it was an act of mercy, really.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
It's crazy to think how different things might have been if, for once in their existence, the cops resisted the urge to kill some guy's dog

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich

walgreenslatino posted:

As Weaver was undoing the latch, FBI sniper Lon Horiuchi shot him in the back from 200 yards. As the trio attempted to run back through the cabin door, Horiuchi fired again. This bullet struck his wife Vicki in the head, as she clutched their 10 month old daughter, and killed her instantly.
Your tax dollars at work. Absolutely sickening

walgreenslatino posted:

Lon Horiuchi was indicted for manslaughter for his second shot; the charges were dismissed based of sovereign immunity, as his actions were consistent with the rules of engagement drawn up by agents of the federal government.
Of course

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Not only do I wish they all died but also all the neo Nazis who came out to support them should also died

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Not only do I wish they all died but also all the neo Nazis who came out to support them should also died

ruby ridge and waco weren't neo nazis though

do people on this site even know what that means

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I'm not American so had never heard of this prior till now but have heard of the stuff it might have influenced (WACO, Oklahoma City bombing). It was a really cool read. Thanks OP, good posts, good thread.

to put it in context, the oklahoma city bombing was meant to be retaliation for waco and ruby ridge... and it was the largest terror attack on US soil prior to 9/11

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

to put it in context, the oklahoma city bombing was meant to be retaliation for waco and ruby ridge... and it was the largest terror attack on US soil prior to 9/11

so you're saying... america DESERVED 9/11 :thunk:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
It'd be really interesting to see some writeups on similar incidents in other countries as well. I'm sure this kind of thing is not an unusual outlier. Great writeup OP! Also amusing to see Alex Jones has been a frothing boil on the taint of humanity since the 90s.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ArmZ posted:

so you're saying... america DESERVED 9/11 :thunk:

More like "America's foreign policy created some very angry people who did a bad thing" but hey gently caress nuance amirite

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

VikingSkull posted:

they were white, hence, at least an overwhelmingly high probability of being neo nazis

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

MC Hawking posted:

It'd be really interesting to see some writeups on similar incidents in other countries as well. I'm sure this kind of thing is not an unusual outlier. Great writeup OP! Also amusing to see Alex Jones has been a frothing boil on the taint of humanity since the 90s.

Doomsday religious sects and individuals are a thing elsewhere, yes

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

walgreenslatino posted:

Lon Horiuchi was indicted for manslaughter for his second shot; the charges were dismissed based of sovereign immunity, as his actions were consistent with the rules of engagement drawn up by agents of the federal government.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
so basically if i draw up illegal rules of engagement and the drones mindlessly follow them no one can be prosecuted?

didn't we fix that loophole after wwii?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I watched that PBS documentary on Netflix this morning. Was kinda surprised it was basically limited to the incident itself with just a brief afterword about the fallout and settlement afterwards. It's kind of baffling to me that the people in charge couldn't have known that Vicki Weaver was dead until days later. I mean, presumably they all would have heard the sniper's gunshot and gotten confirmation of the shots fired from the sniper himself? It's just hard to believe they couldn't have known.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tsa posted:

and both of them are thought to be the key reasons that mcveigh did the Oklahoma city bombing, his alternative plan even being taking out the sniper that killed Vicki.

Not so much thought to be as were the reasons, McVeigh specifically stated it was revenge, among other pants on head crazy reasons.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Gonna check this documentary out soon. Thanks OP

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I wonder if Wayne LaPierre would still call them jack booted thugs if this happened today

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Bo Gritz is literally the most American name possible.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Bo Gritz ran for vice president in 1988 alongside David Duke, but then pulled out and repudiated him as an ignorant bigot and a racist (a shocking discovery I'm sure). He's also the basis for Hannibal from the A-Team

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bo Gritz is a loving scam artist who took in who knows how much money to search for missing POWs in Vietnam. He never found anyone, probably never really tried. Nor did he find any evidence. It's going to be a happy day when he finally dies.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I watched that PBS documentary on Netflix this morning. Was kinda surprised it was basically limited to the incident itself with just a brief afterword about the fallout and settlement afterwards. It's kind of baffling to me that the people in charge couldn't have known that Vicki Weaver was dead until days later. I mean, presumably they all would have heard the sniper's gunshot and gotten confirmation of the shots fired from the sniper himself? It's just hard to believe they couldn't have known.

killcam off spectator mode off 200 yards a person is fairly small. there is a good chance they suspected but had no way to confirm without getting the holed up dudes to directly tell them, which is probably easier if you say things like "let vicki go, look we named our staging area camp vicki"

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

Bo Gritz is a loving scam artist who took in who knows how much money to search for missing POWs in Vietnam. He never found anyone, probably never really tried. Nor did he find any evidence. It's going to be a happy day when he finally dies.

He showed up for his super secret reconnaissance mission and immediately started hawking t-shirts lol

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
There's definitely neo-nazi skinheads who were mad and are still mad about Ruby Ridge.

I know that most flippant people aren't being completely serious when they wish death on the Weavers or whoever. But I think the way the state has co-opted and neutered dissent against explicit state violence, by making two political sides identify respectively either with the Unimpeachable Cops or against the Unforgivable Racists, is one of the scariest lingering effects of the siege.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

Seriously

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

walgreenslatino posted:

There's definitely neo-nazi skinheads who were mad and are still mad about Ruby Ridge.

I know that most flippant people aren't being completely serious when they wish death on the Weavers or whoever. But I think the way the state has co-opted and neutered dissent against explicit state violence, by making two political sides identify respectively either with the Unimpeachable Cops or against the Unforgivable Racists, is one of the scariest lingering effects of the siege.

Owned, disenters. You're all racists now.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

we're talking about a guy who was old enough to remember the 1960s and wasn't a hippie, of course he was a racist. he moved to idaho, where all the antisocial white nats go. if he was a normal good old boy racist he'd be in a city somewhere actively hurting minorities with one manner of public policy or another

i've met guys like randy before. they're "woke" racists. they'll go on and on with this patronizing stuff about black people and how its really the fault of the zionist occupation goverment (ZOG) that we're forced to suffer one another

he'll never fly a weird flag or wear SS bolts but he harbored deep seated brokebrains poo poo that made him want to move to idaho and get away from it all

walgreenslatino posted:

Thats just the thing though, this kind of response was not developed in the 1990s, you can see acts like this all over the place in the late civil rights era and echoes of Pinkteron response during the labor movement era

Former DILF fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 22, 2017

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Owned, disenters. You're all racists now.

Super stoked you're back

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

walgreenslatino posted:

So you're saying that there are some Very Fine People in that picture?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WatermelonGun posted:

Super stoked you're back

I have big plans in store... in a few days you'll see

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

yeah those are idiots that were attracted, but if the government knew how to deal with doomsday cults we wouldn't have that problem, would we

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Former DILF posted:

Thats just the thing though, this kind of response was not developed in the 1990s, you can see acts like this all over the place in the late civil rights era and echoes of Pinkteron response during the labor movement era

Oh for sure, it's just been reconfigured for a new generation of people

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I learned what zog is from this thread.

I always thought it was a superman reference.

Thanks thread!

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
McVeigh compared the Oklahoma city bombing to shooting womp rats in beggars canyon.

Makes ya think

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

walgreenslatino posted:

On August 21st, 1992, United States Marshals began scouting a remote Idaho cabin not far from the Canadian border. The events that would follow would shock the country and give energy to movements both well-intentioned and evil. The shockwaves from Ruby Ridge can be felt everywhere from the defense at Confederate monuments, to the election of Donald Trump, to anti-government protests both Left and Right. It is probably the single most important American political event of the 1990s. It revitalized the right wing, the defense of the second amendment, the fear of government overreach, the militia movement, white nationalists, anti-globalists, and more.

Inside that cabin was the Marshals' target, a paranoid and religious alleged white nationalist named Randy Weaver, as well as his wife, children, a family friend, and their dogs. Weaver and his family had moved into seclusion after his wife Vicki's religious visions urged them to remove themselves from a fallen, corrupted world. Weaver was charged with violation of the National Firearms Act after allegedly purchasing a sawed-off shotgun from a government informant (allegations that he was a bank robber were later revealed to be completely bogus), but had failed to show for trial after it was rescheduled and he was mistakenly sent the wrong date. Attempts over the preceding year to bring Weaver in peacefully had been unsuccessful, and the botched trial and ongoing attempts at surveillance only amplified his family's sense of being unjustly under siege.

As the six Marshals, heavily armed and kitted in camouflage and night vision goggles, approached the cabin and waited to ambush Weaver, one threw a rock to gauge the reaction of the dogs. As they started barking, Weaver's friend Kevin Harris and Weaver's 14 year old son Samuel exited the cabin with rifles to investigate, apparently saying aloud they believed the dogs to be alerting to the presence of an animal they might hunt for food. The Marshals stealthily retreated, and Sam, Kevin, and the dog followed the source of the noise about 500 meters, to a Y-shaped fork in the trails. Here the stories diverge. According to the Marshals, they identified themselves to the pair; Harris then allegedly shot and killed a Marshal, and in the return fire the Marshals killed Sammy and the dog in self defense. Harris' account of the event is different: he alleged that the dog ran up to a Marshal and began bouncing around in a friendly manner, at which point the Marshal shot and killed the dog in front of the 14 year old boy. At this point Sammy yelled "You shot my dog, you son of a bitch" and began shooting at the Marshals. Regardless of whether a man with no warrants opened fire on identified law enforcement officers, or if cops killed a dog for no reason, the firefight ended with Deputy US Marshal Bill Degan mortally wounded and Sammy Weaver dead of a gunshot to the back. Harris fled back to the cabin, with Randy and Vicki Weaver returning to retrieve their son's body after the Marshals retreated.

Following the firefight at the trails, the Idaho governor declared a state of emergency, and state and federal law enforcement mobilized dramatically. The FBI, ATF, and Marshals were determined to avenge the death of Bill Degan and display a strong show of force, both to the Weavers and to anti-government types. The FBI drafted rules of engagement specifying that any armed adult seen on the property was to be taken out with deadly force, which were later famously described as "virtual shoot on sight" orders during the Senate investigation. On August 22nd, with scope of the siege expanding, FBI sniper teams were deployed as Federal law enforcement awaited the arrival of specialized hostage negotiators.

In the early afternoon of the 22nd, Randy Weaver, his 16 year old daughter Sara, and Harris exited the cabin and made his way a small nearby shed, to visit the body of his son Sammy. As Weaver was undoing the latch, FBI sniper Lon Horiuchi shot him in the back from 200 yards. As the trio attempted to run back through the cabin door, Horiuchi fired again. This bullet struck his wife Vicki in the head, as she clutched their 10 month old daughter, and killed her instantly. Several hours later, a police robot approached the cabin and announced the execution of the warrant against Randy Weaver; the family alleged this was the first point at which they learned their assailants were law enforcement.

For 10 more days, Weaver, his daughters, and Harris remained in the cabin with Vicki's body, as 400 Federal law enforcement officers taunted them from afar. Later claiming that they were unaware of her death, the officers exhorted on megaphones for Vicki to come out and have "blueberry pancakes" for breakfast, even informally naming their emplacement "Camp Vicki" after her. As news spread, protestors from around the country appeared, some furious at the Feds actions, some hoping to see what was happening for themselves. On August 31st, Randy Weaver surrendered to civilian anti-government activist Bo Gritz.

In the aftermath, the colossal mismanagement of the operation vindicated Weaver and spurred a massive federal investigation. Charged with a litany of offenses stemming from the incident, he was eventually acquited of all charges except missing his original court date. It was revealed that from the early days of the siege, FBI officials were skeptical of the original charges, the early behavior of Marshals, the rules of engagement, and nearly every aspect of how the operation was run. Lon Horiuchi was indicted for manslaughter for his second shot; the charges were dismissed based of sovereign immunity, as his actions were consistent with the rules of engagement drawn up by agents of the federal government. In a settlement, the federal government awarded over 2 million dollars to Weaver and his daughters. The shame of Ruby Ridge, and the desire to project a strong face in the aftermath of the national dressing-down, was a strong motivator for the later ATF and FBI aggression at Waco, and likely contributed to the tragic outcome of that standoff.

At least when the new York Times or American Rennaisance or Breitbart writes about it I can find out what their editorial standards are. I didn't know anything about you.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Welcome... To DIED!!!!!

P.S.: can this be the homestead compound tips and tricks megathread? I have some experience.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Lmbo a fourteen year old boy shot in the back and his mentally ill mother in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
can't corner the dorner

• Locked thread