Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
It helps. I go to NA, personally, but it's much the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I've started a new job that requires working really long hours, i need the cash, and I stand there at work and think about doing heroin. I want to get high. I'm going to go to a NA meeting in a few hours but if I really wanted I could drive to the city and buy dope instead.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Did you have to go to AA or did you want to go to AA, OP?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Anti-aircraft technology is interesting and all but I couldn't keep the interest week after week.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Isaac posted:

The meeting was good i feel good and im glad i went

Now go get those tires knocked out champ

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
What city are you in op? Best of luck on your quest to quit, but I seriously would never recommend AA to anyone. Unless you're religious then whatever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Make tfab your higher power Isaac

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
wait you can get wives at these OP? I always thought like "hey stop drinking..." was easier but now it all makes sense lol

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

wait you can get wives at these OP? I always thought like "hey stop drinking..." was easier but now it all makes sense lol

It's not a good idea but lots of people do it source: I did it

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

What city are you in op? Best of luck on your quest to quit, but I seriously would never recommend AA to anyone. Unless you're religious then whatever.
AA is pretty lovely for a lot of people even if you take out the religion part.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I know a couple people in AA and what always gets me is how cult like it is, they have "open" meetings where non alcys can go to but then "closed" meetings only alcoholics can go to

Everything seems so secretive and my friends only hang out w their AA buds now I guess whatever help keeps you sober but I think I read that AA is no better than quitting on your own

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hey Isaac! How's Pecky Becky?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Do it ironically posted:

I know a couple people in AA and what always gets me is how cult like it is, they have "open" meetings where non alcys can go to but then "closed" meetings only alcoholics can go to

Everything seems so secretive and my friends only hang out w their AA buds now I guess whatever help keeps you sober but I think I read that AA is no better than quitting on your own

He went to full lock up rehab voluntarily (I think 6-8 weeks, maybe more), this is just follow up after his release.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Do it ironically posted:

AA at least in the USA has always been an Evangelical brainwashing/recruitment tool of people at their most vulnerable time. That's why they have all these prayers and everything included. There was a case where an atheist guy refused court ordered AA on religious grounds and the judge sentenced him to prison for refusing it, and then FFRF got involved to appeal. Not sure where it went but they really need to shut all that poo poo down and have an actual organization that helps people. Especially if state courts are allowed to force you to go and refusing is automatic or extended prison sentence.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
I think it's key to remember to focus on one little obstacle at a time instead of looking at your escape from addiction as a literal buzzkill and so far out of reach.

Good luck man.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

AA works for some people and could be a good foundation for a more effective treatment program if people in the program weren't so dogmatic about it. You'd think the 12 steps were handed down by god on stone tablets. Instead they condescend and patronize people with religious hangups; they reject outright new science/evidence that contradicts the big book; they oppose effective replacement therapies and often shame addicts into not taking their psych meds; and in the end they're happy to blame dead addicts for failing the program, since the program is perfect. What a waste of a good start.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 12, 2017

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

poverty goat posted:

AA works for some people and could be a good foundation for a more effective treatment program if people in the program weren't so dogmatic about it. You'd think the 12 steps were handed down by god on stone tablets. Instead they condescend and patronize people with religious hangups; they reject outright new science/evidence that contradicts the big book; they oppose effective replacement therapies and often shame addicts into not taking their psych meds; and in the end they're happy to blame dead addicts for failing the program, since the program is perfect. What a waste of a good start.

I felt the same way which is why I couldn't fully embrace 12-step programs, but I couldn't deny that there are a lot of really good ways of changing my perspective on my addiction, life, and outlook. Taking inventory of my life and being brutally honest with myself are my biggest take-aways from AA/NA. Everything else for me was covered with SMART recovery and meetings.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

There was a friendly bird hanging around today and i dug up some worms and fed them to it. Later a bird swooped me cause it was protecting its nest.

You seem pretty boring, OP.

Maybe you should start drinking.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
it always seemed to tank the framerate more than the resolution justified. It's not so bad with FXAA or MSAA, but modern engines tend to support overrendering natively.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Rad Russian posted:

AA at least in the USA has always been an Evangelical brainwashing/recruitment tool of people at their most vulnerable time. That's why they have all these prayers and everything included. There was a case where an atheist guy refused court ordered AA on religious grounds and the judge sentenced him to prison for refusing it, and then FFRF got involved to appeal. Not sure where it went but they really need to shut all that poo poo down and have an actual organization that helps people. Especially if state courts are allowed to force you to go and refusing is automatic or extended prison sentence.

Both of my parents are in AA and I have been to more meetings than most drunks. What you describe is an issue of the "rehab facilitators" (often church orgs with local gov funding) that have co-opted AA and made it part of their official rehab program.While AA does refer to surrendering yourself to a "higher power" (this can be anything you find to be greater than yourself) they are very quick to emphasize that it is non-denominational group - I have known Jews, Christians, and Atheists alike who have sought out AA of their own fruition without being forced on religion. Virtually everyone I have ever heard describe AA as "Christian menace" was forced to go via court order and typically at a Christian operated "recovery center". That said, I can understand the apprehension, and don't think it would ever help me with any vice. Those who say it works claim they wouldn't be alive without it so "whatever floats your boat" I suppose.

Do it ironically posted:

Closed meetings are not the norm and are usually reserved for step work or people who are anxious about being open in such a setting. As I said previously, I have been attending meetings since I was a child and have seen several other observers introduce themselves to a warm welcome (usually social work students).
With regard to your friends it sounds like they may be trying to surround themselves with people who are in the same struggle, while it is a bit weird I don't think you should feel slighted. Most people I have known that have taken to drinking too much and living at the bar do so as a social lubricant so it's not farfetched to see them doing the same in their AA circles.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zorodius posted:

it always seemed to tank the framerate more than the resolution justified. It's not so bad with FXAA or MSAA, but modern engines tend to support overrendering natively.

I've never understood the difference and hate games that list all the options I don't know

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
My higher power is a half man half walrus who says inga awoo suck my dick you fuckman, as is his custom.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
How was the meeting Isaac?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

where do the spouses go? open meatings?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

they lost they should speak American

Op stay safe

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

where do the spouses go? open meatings?

My house :smuggo:

Al-Anon

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Jim Barris posted:

I've started a new job that requires working really long hours, i need the cash, and I stand there at work and think about doing heroin. I want to get high. I'm going to go to a NA meeting in a few hours but if I really wanted I could drive to the city and buy dope instead.

MY NIGGA HAVE U TRIED LSD???

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Good for u OP, I am glad it works for you. AA isn't a part of my sobriety, I found it too dogmatic of course and the people way too pushy like they'd say in the meetings "take what works for you" and then in groups or after the meeting everyone would be like "you have to do the steps this way, its the only way that really works and you have to do it all fast like NOW" and I didn't like that so I stopped going to meetings after like two weeks. They probably all think I'm still drunk and/or dead.

Actually being drunk AND dead sounds p. cool. Whenever I die I want to be a drunken ghost and haunt people drunkenly.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Former DILF posted:

MY NIGGA HAVE U TRIED LSD???

one of the AA co-founders was pro LSD

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
also sponsors are creepy, i went to a meeting with someone one time and like afterwards everyone is rushing up to you introducing themselves trying to be your sponsor i was like lmao chill out dudes im not an alcoholic

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

also sponsors are creepy, i went to a meeting with someone one time and like afterwards everyone is rushing up to you introducing themselves trying to be your sponsor i was like lmao chill out dudes im not an alcoholic

AA sounds way weirder then NA.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
AA is good you can hear alcoholics talk about what worked for them to get sober and live a life they enjoy. NA to me was alot more "my dog died today and i wanted to do some heroin".

It varies froup to group. I like some and dont like others

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Hey Issac hope you are doing well my friend, also please give some Pecky Becky updates.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pecky becky went missing and is presumed dead

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
maybe just drink a beer or liquor sometime and not other times OP!

grow up OP!!!!!11

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Bamabalacha posted:

AA is pretty lovely for a lot of people even if you take out the religion part.

Unfortunately, it's also the only form of ongoing support available for a lot of people.

I went along to a local AA meeting with a friend of mine who'd been mandated by a court to attend and almost everyone there had taken up another habit to replace alcohol.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 13, 2017

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I dont think courts send people to AA here. Theres SMART recovery which they send people to and its often a bunch of crackheads who dont wanna be there.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYgdoecq-PE

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

I dont think courts send people to AA here. Theres SMART recovery which they send people to and its often a bunch of crackheads who dont wanna be there.

It's technically not the courts who do it in Sydney. They just mandate supervised drug and alcohol programmes. Then probation and parole officers push people into AA (which defeats the whole "voluntary" and "anonymous" aspects of AA).

SMART is good for people who loathe 12 step programmes, but you're never going to get a high success rate from mandatory participation (and it creates problems for people voluntarily seeking services when places are occupied by those who've been ordered to attend).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
AA is a religious scam on par with Scientology. Just chug, you weirdo.

• Locked thread