Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I always wanted to like wine but it always tastes terrible, and the impression that most adults act like toddlers while drinking it does nothing to shake the fact that wine is and tastes like fermented Juicy Juice. I should find one of those old recipes for ultra-diluted wine in water though, I bet that stuff tastes pretty kickass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

interesting. i would think that the text of the 21st amendment implies a broad right for states to restrict alcohol importation across state lines, but i have also done zero research into the case law

States can ban shipping if they want. But, they can't discriminate if they want to allow shipping. They can't say, "in state shipping is OK, but out of state isn't." This went back and forth for wineries until the Supreme Court made a ruling saying states must allow shipping from all states or not at all, for wineries. These latest bans and lawsuits are now about retailers. The hope is that the same legal precedent for wineries will be ruled to also apply to retailers, especially in this day and age of declining brick and mortar stores.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Maldoror posted:

States can ban shipping if they want. But, they can't discriminate if they want to allow shipping. They can't say, "in state shipping is OK, but out of state isn't." This went back and forth for wineries until the Supreme Court made a ruling saying states must allow shipping from all states or not at all, for wineries. These latest bans and lawsuits are now about retailers. The hope is that the same legal precedent for wineries will be ruled to also apply to retailers, especially in this day and age of declining brick and mortar stores.

oh yeah that makes sense. I think I learned this in con law but I've forgotten most of that class

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

I always wanted to like wine but it always tastes terrible

- You have to try a good one

- You need oxygen to create the chemical reactions that open up the taste. Try getting one of those pour-through aerators, pour a glass, then let it sit ["breathe"] for a good hour or two first.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
it makes my head hurt OP!

i only drink it at fancy restaurants OP!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Maldoror posted:

- You have to try a good one

- You need oxygen to create the chemical reactions that open up the taste. Try getting one of those pour-through aerators, pour a glass, then let it sit ["breathe"] for a good hour or two first.
I've tried both. It's not that it's this rancid drink I would never have, but it always tastes like rotten grape juice.... which it is. That's ok! I'm not going to knock someone for liking it, but the fervor for it kind-of baffles me.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It's an acquired taste and not all of it tastes like fermentation. Wine never really "clicked" for me until I had some very fine dry reds. It's a nice change from beer sometimes.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
Natural wines are the best wines

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Utility box red is best if you're dependent cause there's no effort involved with such as mixing, and you don't even have to refrigerate it

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

I'm a beer guy. But I enjoy a good Pinot Noir every now and then.

Expand your horizons.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

white franzia in a 48oz cup snuck into a baseball game is :discourse:

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I work in the wine industry

a lot of those cheap wines are made with mechanical harvesting and know what else gets in there along with the grapes? snakes and mice and all kinds of cool field stuff. the alcohol kills everything though so it's fine.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Blood and protein in the wine can only make of better imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jerome Louis posted:

a lot of those cheap wines are made with mechanical harvesting and know what else gets in there along with the grapes? snakes and mice and all kinds of cool field stuff. the alcohol kills everything though so it's fine.

yeah this is what i heard about two buck chuck. it's $2 because they basically just mow down the whole field and throw in the whole shebang-- birds, mice, snakes stem, leaves, the whole works.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Savage Bliss posted:

I'm a beer guy. But I enjoy a good Pinot Noir every now and then.

Expand your horizons.

Hell yeah brother.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Xaris posted:

yeah this is what i heard about two buck chuck. it's $2 because they basically just mow down the whole field and throw in the whole shebang-- birds, mice, snakes stem, leaves, the whole works.

I was never above smoking stems or seeds or snakes or birds, don't know why I would ever be above drinkin em

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Carlo rossi

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

When I was young I made some prison wine using cans of frozen grape juice concentrate, sugar, and yeast. It was not very good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Breakfast Feud posted:

It's an acquired taste and not all of it tastes like fermentation. Wine never really "clicked" for me until I had some very fine dry reds. It's a nice change from beer sometimes.
I don't doubt it. I should preface it by saying that I've never been a fan of alcohol to begin with--the only one I even kind-of like is tequila.

Jerome Louis posted:

:lol: rock on I loving love it

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

mind the walrus posted:

I've never been a fan of alcohol to begin with--the only one I even kind-of like is tequila.

hosed up if true.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like alcohol

I don't mind the taste and it makes me feel funny in the brains

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's not the bite that gets to me, it's just not a taste I've ever really acclimated to.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

wine gives me hangovers so i just buy expensive whiskey instead

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

Wouldn't that really gently caress up the vines, though? Like... you'd only be able to do that to a field once every few years. Right? :confused:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

whip posted:

Carlo rossi

is it true that you jacked off onto a picture of barnacle jim

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Maldoror posted:

Do not get into wine.

When you drink a really really good one, you'll be hooked.

And then things get really really really expensive.

this is why I never buy a bottle that costs more than 8 bucks or a box for 12

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Wine is great and beer is too. Well, that's my thoughts.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
bag of wine in the backpack, Airzona can for filling, this is how the best nights are spent.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
did u know

in Australia, slang for box wine is "goon"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I always wanted to like wine but it always tastes terrible, and the impression that most adults act like toddlers while drinking it does nothing to shake the fact that wine is and tastes like fermented Juicy Juice. I should find one of those old recipes for ultra-diluted wine in water though, I bet that stuff tastes pretty kickass.

How loving dumb are you?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm a pinot noir guy myself.

But sometimes some lovely boxed wine can help finish off a long night of drinking at the bar. I need help.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Maldoror posted:

did u know

in Australia, slang for box wine is "goon"

goonbag is life

make sure to play slap the bag so that all the drops on the end of the nozzle splatter all over your shirt

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

christ what an rear end in a top hat

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

The Cubelodyte posted:

Wouldn't that really gently caress up the vines, though? Like... you'd only be able to do that to a field once every few years. Right? :confused:

Modern mechanical harvesters for vineyards are quite sophisticated and look like transformers, or at least the new ones at my wife's ranch do. Still not something that would get used for any sort of premium wine for a variety of reasons.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
I'd like to have a real shiraz. No, not just the variety. I mean a wine made from the actual variety grown and fermented in the actual Shiraz region...in Iran.

I hate to say this, but you Americans really haven't been living up to the offensive jingoist opinion I sometimes have for you. For all the talk a very few of you have about manifest destiny and world domination, you're far too easygoing to actually go out and invade Iran in a terrible war costing millions of lives. How can I talk poo poo about you when you don't actually do all the evil things I accuse you of doing? And even "Axis of Evil" Iran itself is too chill in the end to justify any sort of invasion. Except for the no-alcohol thing.

So, I think a time machine is in order.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I've been having trouble with wine today I moved c_drive to another real hard drive and symlinked it back and now all my programs are broken

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

IronClaymore posted:

I'd like to have a real shiraz. No, not just the variety. I mean a wine made from the actual variety grown and fermented in the actual Shiraz region...in Iran.

Me too. For some reason, I find it fascinating.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
issues with wine:
- hard to tell if it's good or not
- labels don't really tell you if it's good or not
- price doesn't necessarily tell you if it's good or not

my memory can store about 3 or 4 kinds that i remember for being good at a price point

OTOH, if it's not vinegar, it's drinkable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mozi posted:

issues with wine:
- hard to tell if it's good or not
- labels don't really tell you if it's good or not
- price doesn't necessarily tell you if it's good or not

my memory can store about 3 or 4 kinds that i remember for being good at a price point

OTOH, if it's not vinegar, it's drinkable
yea i think that's a fair criticism. i've had great $5, lovely $50, labels don't help and lovely wines have amazing labels and visa versa all the time. i generally just remember "ok that one trader joes wine is decent/makes good cooking wine" and that's about it.

i don't drink much beer either, but i usually remember many different beers i've had and what i like/hate and often just by label/variety i can tell if it's something id like or not.

• Locked thread