Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Maybe your ego sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Telephones posted:

Maybe your ego sucks.

You can't hurt me, you foolish bio-robot.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Anachro-primitivism.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Waffle House posted:

OP these are the people you share your optics with atm:

loving ancaps lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTafZRecy2k

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The older you get the more you figure out you can't really change anything and it becomes all about making life best for you&that circle of people you care about.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

answer is obvious op

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Police Automaton posted:

The older you get the more you figure out you can't really change anything and it becomes all about making life best for you&that circle of people you care about.

Don't listen to this conservative bullshit if everyone thought like this nothing would ever change.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Waffle House posted:

OP these are the people you share your optics with atm:

He deserves a boot party.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zane posted:

answer is obvious op
having been to one of those, it's extremely accurate as are the names

scruffy and pip, your favorite anarchist cat & mouse team

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

become a young republican and wear the same blue suit jacket with tan pants every day to class

also use a roller backpack

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Be apolitical, spend your time studying and being good in class while networking and interning to get a good job, and when you've graduated and are actually making your own money and are en route to paying down your student debt, then get political.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Fried Watermelon posted:

become a young republican and wear the same blue suit jacket with tan pants every day to class

also use a roller backpack

God, we should have death squads for these people.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

just become a libertarian and attain your final form as a real piece of poo poo

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Be apolitical, spend your time studying and being good in class while networking and interning to get a good job, and when you've graduated and are actually making your own money and are en route to paying down your student debt, then get political.
rofl get a load of this dude

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know how much is satire here, but I know a pretty intelligent, quiet, perceptive and sensitive physicist woman who's 27 and an anarchist and she seems pretty organized so... I mean at the foundation of that political philosophy is basically just faith in human nature as far as I can tell.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

How about neither? Think for yourself, kid. GET OFF MY LAWN.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Tiresias2 posted:

I don't know how much is satire here, but I know a pretty intelligent, quiet, perceptive and sensitive physicist woman who's 27 and an anarchist and she seems pretty organized so... I mean at the foundation of that political philosophy is basically just faith in human nature as far as I can tell.

The thing about this is that anarchy actually is not just raw human nature. Humans naturally will form societies. They will naturally want to develop the complexity of those societies. Anarchy can only last so for so long because people will want to form organized societies because having social organization allows for more complex economic activity to happen and therefor making their lives better.

Basically anarchism is really dumb and actually highly unnatural.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
become a robo syndicalist

get a job as a sys ops in a dark warehouse

raise army of warehouse bots

?????

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiresias2 posted:

I'm not surprised that a physicist would think you can build a well-functioning human society from first principles. I know I used to think that for a long while. Might have even believed it when I was 27. :shrug:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not an anarchist but I can say that of radical leftists the anarchists are generally the nicest to be around in my experience.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I'm not an anarchist but I can say that of radical leftists the anarchists are generally the nicest to be around in my experience.

Talk about damning with faint praise. What's their competition, tankies and Larouchites?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
there was a trotskiyte in my school

he was loud

had his own newspaper

and i didn't like him

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Talk about damning with faint praise. What's their competition, tankies and Larouchites?
Actually would go further and say everyone else on the political spectrum generally I think. There's also an anarchist philosopher I like named Crispin Sartwell.

I dunno I'm too much of a formal rules person, and I think anarchists underestimate the dangers of informal power; and that in a lot of oppressive states and such, power is often enforced under-the-table and not "officially." Like in an anarchist punk house there's always some dude who is really in charge and the one rule is you can't cross him or even acknowledge he's really calling the shots.

Top City Homo posted:

there was a trotskiyte in my school

he was loud

had his own newspaper

and i didn't like him
I met some Trotskyists and they reminded me of the art people in The Big Lebowski.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFqDgWjeHAE

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 27, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Self immolation in the quad

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I dunno much about the terminology for all this, but I'm pretty sure there's an anarco- something that's pretty cool

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Become a monarchist

Only a true king can provide for his people, as decreed by God.

Instead of dressing up as a desk jockey or a riff-raff with 500$ leather jacket, you can have a spiffy suit of armor.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Top City Homo posted:

become a robo syndicalist

get a job as a sys ops in a dark warehouse

raise army of warehouse bots

gently caress your warehouse bots

I finished this for you.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Basically anarchism is really dumb and actually highly unnatural.

One could argue the same for the city-states that required chattel slavery and large-scale warfare that came about after the stone age.

In our weird modern world, both idealism and nihilism are treated with scorn. The alternative is a kind of pragmatism that says "take what you can" and that doesn't really gel with the stories (real and fictitious) that our societies are based on. Guess what I'm saying is that if there was some kind of obvious way out, we'd have found it. We've trapped ourselves imo and we're just going to have to keep moving and see what happens (and the dark ages didn't really end so much as they got slightly brighter).

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That said, I also want the global population to be dramatically reduced so everyone left can have more space and more stuff.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm phasmid's zero-sum world concept.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

phasmid posted:

That said, I also want the global population to be dramatically reduced so everyone left can have more space and more stuff.

Great idea! How about you lead by example? :thumbsup:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
A lot of libertarians want a universal basic income, so maybe libertarians are actually better than liberals now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Be a true rebel and pick moderate centrism

Nothing will piss people off faster than that

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 27, 2017

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Waffle House posted:

I'm phasmid's zero-sum world concept.

You're a white noise dope who won't even dip his toe in the water because you don't have any answers either.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Great idea! How about you lead by example? :thumbsup:

Spoken like someone who made the mistake of bringing kids into the world.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

phasmid continues to be an entitled pedant, is totally not owned.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Sure, dude. I've been totally owned. The ownage, it is too much to bear.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

phasmid posted:

Spoken like someone who made the mistake of bringing kids into the world.

:raise: I'm not the one with the womb, so technically I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure I've never gotten any of my partners pregnant.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
But seriously, elected constitutional monarchies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what the spi cy discourse is like in this thread. And the memes????

• Locked thread