Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Plenty of Americans working construction jobs in Colorodo, Florida, and Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

If you're struggling it means you need to deport people who are competing with you

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

Well it's a good thing that climate change induced mass migration and rising populism is most likely going to eradicate most of the 20th century stability we were all born in to.

the US is projected to be one of the least affected parts of the world, Trump's real plan to MAGA is to knock us all back to 1946 with America as the only industrial nation not in ruins. And probably repeal the Civil Rights Act.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

If you can't find a job because the positions are filled with Indians, that's your fault for being mediocre in a competitive field.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html

quote:

While families rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and searched for Nemo on clamobiles in the theme parks, these workers monitored computers in industrial buildings nearby, making sure millions of Walt Disney World ticket sales, store purchases and hotel reservations went through without a hitch. Some were performing so well that they thought they had been called in for bonuses.

Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost.

“I just couldn’t believe they could fly people in to sit at our desks and take over our jobs exactly,” said one former worker, an American in his 40s who remains unemployed since his last day at Disney on Jan. 30. “It was so humiliating to train somebody else to take over your job. I still can’t grasp it.”

“The program has created a highly lucrative business model of bringing in cheaper H-1B workers to substitute for Americans,” said Ronil Hira, a professor of public policy at Howard University who studies visa programs and has testified before Congress about H-1B visas.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 8, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the gov't should worry about Americans and not the tech giants who are doing just fine thanks.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lol you think Trump has a plan.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

EvilJoven posted:

If you're struggling it means you're just not pulling on your boot straps hard enough.

Lol that an entire generation of people was taught this. Don't question why life is hard, just accept it and keep doing your job. Hard to pay bills? Don't question it, just keep working and *maybe* if you work a bunch of extra hours you'll be able to make end's meet.

You're questioning the pay structure? You're wondering why your boss can afford a new car every year but you can barely keep the lights on? Well gently caress you snowflake, guess what? Life's a bitch and then you die.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Tbh h1b sounds like a disease

Or a kickstarted zombie game

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

which flu virus is h1b again? I'm falling a bit behind :confused:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I'm not American, but I do know some really talented people whom I've worked with that have left to work for American companies because they were interested in him. Isn't the point of these primarily to keep American companies the best in the world because the American workforce isn't any more special than anywhere else? I thought it was a way to obtain exceptional talent from outside the pool of the American workforce, because there's always more talent when the selection pool is bigger.

From the vibe of this thread, I'm guessing it gets abused a lot for cheap labor.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Corporations need the ability to import and underpay large swathes of employees in the tech industry otherwise we'll look racist.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

Lol you think Trump has a plan.

11 dimensional chess may look like random idiot flailing to the unenlightened

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm not American, but I do know some really talented people whom I've worked with that have left to work for American companies because they were interested in him. Isn't the point of these primarily to keep American companies the best in the world because the American workforce isn't any more special than anywhere else? I thought it was a way to obtain exceptional talent from outside the pool of the American workforce, because there's always more talent when the selection pool is bigger.

From the vibe of this thread, I'm guessing it gets abused a lot for cheap labor.

it's both, really, but a lot of these jobs aren't really incredibly specialized poo poo there's a serious shortage of people who could do adequately it's like, guys making banner ads, and that indian guy who's totally dependent on the company to stay in the US is less likely to walk out for a higher-paying offer than the local who took a community college course on Javascript

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 8, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gimbal lock posted:

There's that, there is also the argument that many tech companies are using which is "there simply aren't sufficient numbers of skilled employees in the fields we are looking for." Which is bullshit but it's frankly too early for me to do an effort post around that.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
So, um, when the Democrats fail to make any appreciable gains in the mid terms who/what are they going to blame?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ultrabindu posted:

So, um, when the Democrats fail to make any appreciable gains in the mid terms who/what are they going to blame?

Why the leftists, of course.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
IDK about the specifics of the H1-B program but up here we have the TFW program which in practice is supposed to be for employers that simply can't find staff anywhere to fill their positions but in reality is why almost every Tim Hortons in the country is now staffed by temporary workers from places like Southeast Asia while high school aged kids can no longer even save up for college by slinging coffee after school.

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Illegal immigrants being paid far below minimum wage to do blue collar jobs: this is basically what the thing on the statue of liberty says

Legal immigrants making a taxable wage at a desk job: this is Slavery

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

IDK about the specifics of the H1-B program but up here we have the TFW program which in practice is supposed to be for employers that simply can't find staff anywhere to fill their positions but in reality is why almost every Tim Hortons in the country is now staffed by temporary workers from places like Southeast Asia while high school aged kids can no longer even save up for college by slinging coffee after school.

The minimum salary for a job to qualify for an H1-B is $90,000 USD/year, recently increased from $60,000.

Nobody is working at a coffee shop on an H1-B. It's also one of the main ways a ton of Canadian engineers/programmers end up in the states because the TN can be super dependent on exact job title (I have a friend who had to change his LinkedIn from his internal title of "Software Developer" to his visa title of "Software Systems Analyst" every time he went back to the states because despite the job possibly describing the same thing the first would violate his visa and the border guards loved to check all his social media), and is also a non-immigrant visa.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 8, 2018

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also a sizable amount of TFWs here are housed in company owned lodging that is the nice way of saying a slum full of bunk beds the franchise owner bought and a large chunk of their wages are garnished for said lodging and if they complain about that or the split shifts or any of the other poo poo they have to deal with they're threatened with immediate deportation.

But of course I'm a big ol racist when I say the TFW program is harmful to this country.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah to be clear H1-Bs are for SKILLED workers which is engineers not really manual labor or entry level service jobs. And yeah it is hella abused by large companies because of course it is.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

The former Disney employee who is 57 worked in project management and software development. His résumé lists a top-level skill certification and command of seven operating systems, 15 program languages and more than two dozen other applications and media.

“I was forced into early retirement,” he said.

-------------------------
Disney hired back half of them, anyway. Along with at least one American engineer.

Why don't we just make it the law that you have to have a job?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Disney hired back half of them, anyway. Along with at least one American engineer.

I bet you a dollar this is because it turns out when you hire people while barely checking their credentials and then have the people they are replacing train them you're probably not going to get great job performance.

And then you get wonky space physics in your Star Wars!!!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's a little bit funny that Trump has chosen to focus specifically on cracking down on the subset of globalization that his base couldn't care less about and is more likely to gently caress up the people tweeting #resistance from their coastal city office all day

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Right-wingers don't actually care about exploitation, they prefer never to touch the exploiters, only the exploited.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Trump sucks but lol if you support the H1B system

Weren't goons screaming and crying when Disney replaced all their IT workers with people with H1B visas for half the price? People who had 20 years in the company were training other people how to do their own job.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

ultrabindu posted:

Bush.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's a little bit funny that Trump has chosen to focus specifically on cracking down on the subset of globalization that his base couldn't care less about and is more likely to gently caress up the people tweeting #resistance from their coastal city office all day

Yeah it's almost like he's loving retarded

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

See also climate change. The very distinction that "warmer" does not equate to "warm" is lost on many people, including the President of the United States.

to be fair, "global warming" is confusing to nonexperts, and "climate change" better captures the concept even if warming is what kicked it all off

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

"when Mexico sends people, they're not sending their best *outlaws Mexico's best*"

maskenfreiheit posted:

to be fair, "global warming" is confusing to nonexperts, and "climate change" better captures the concept even if warming is what kicked it all off

they aren't really confused they just don't give a poo poo

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Who the gently caress are you guys talking about

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Does everything need to be race based? Couldn't we just classify it as the administration's attempt to encourage American employers to look here in their own country and invest more in cultivating the next generation of skilled workers? I'm no Trump supporter, but the polarization has become so extreme that if you don't agree that every policy of the opposite party are all based on skinhead ideology looking to cleanse America with bleach, then you're one of them.

It's not like this program was ALWAYS around, and it's not the like the program will NEVER come back at full force in some form at a future time, right?

It feels like this is why China gets things done. Like, hey Silicone Valley nerds, come into our country and teach us your ways. ... ... Okay, thanks now get the gently caress out, we'll make our own poo poo that will profit China.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Linnear posted:

Does everything need to be race based? Couldn't we just classify it as the administration's attempt to encourage American employers to look here in their own country and invest more in cultivating the next generation of skilled workers? I'm no Trump supporter, but the polarization has become so extreme that if you don't agree that every policy of the opposite party are all based on skinhead ideology looking to cleanse America with bleach, then you're one of them.

It's not like this program was ALWAYS around, and it's not the like the program will NEVER come back at full force in some form at a future time, right?

It feels like this is why China gets things done. Like, hey Silicone Valley nerds, come into our country and teach us your ways. ... ... Okay, thanks now get the gently caress out, we'll make our own poo poo that will profit China.

Notice how it's always "encourage" with these kinds of employers. It's never "force" or "regulate", no, that's for poor people.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The minimum salary for a job to qualify for an H1-B is $90,000 USD/year, recently increased from $60,000.

Which was a huge loving hit to the program because they were bringing people over and paying them $60k for $90k jobs.

Buccaneer posted:

Illegal immigrants being paid far below minimum wage to do blue collar jobs: this is basically what the thing on the statue of liberty says

Legal immigrants making a taxable wage at a desk job: this is Slavery

Yes it is. The employer holds the visa. Not the employee. The employee is left with no bargaining power or any standing.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Which was a huge loving hit to the program because they were bringing people over and paying them $60k for $90k jobs.

Yes it is. The employer holds the visa. Not the employee. The employee is left with no bargaining power or any standing.

plus iirc it's fixed term and doesn't help towards citizenship

to contrast in canada if you're there legally for 5 years you can apply for permanent residency then citizenship 5 years after that

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

Do you think the black americans who were slaves forgot to sign up for direct deposit or something

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why don't we just make it the law that you have to have a job?
UBI is probably better, but that rankles the poo poo out of people who... I don't know, it really bugs them if other people are lazy and/or got ahead with less work than they did. (note: this never includes their bosses/socioeconnomic "betters")

maskenfreiheit posted:

Oh yeah. Even at the time the phrase read like what it was--nerds trying to coin a marketable term that somehow managed to be too complex and too stupid to the average citizen simultaneously.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Isn't that the case for most work visas in most countries?

Like up here in Canada everyone I know in tech who moved here from like, Europe did the exact same thing: Come over on a working holiday visa and try to find a job at a company who will sponsor you. But once you get that job you have to stay at that sponsor company for a few years until you get permanent residency.

The only open work visas I can think of for younger people is the aforementioned one year "working holiday" and the like...two or three years you get for graduating a local university program.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kind of grinds my gears that you can't say the word slavery without people immediately going "oh well it isn't as bad as chattel slavery from 1700-1800s USA so can't be slavery!"

I mean, by that definition, basically slaves didn't exist at any time in history except for in the antebellum US South - afaik commonly recognized as one of the most brutal systems of slavery to ever exist. I guess Columbus was worse to the Arawak.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 8, 2018

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's part of a passive misinformation campaign to keep the bulk of US society under the false impression that there's ever been a period of civilization without slaves of some kind. Y'know the illusory narrative of progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

All this means for me personally is that the projects my Indian co-workers currently do are going to be given to me, increasing my workload but not my paycheck, so in summary gently caress that noise.

• Locked thread