Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

i believe that most of nu-metal's audience were middle school boys who were sick of boy bands. i know that's why i liked korn and limp bizkit

I had a lot of emotions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

bungie dot net. i called a moderator gay using the first letter of each sentence in my post once

my account still exists too

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Althanas, a freeform fantasy rpg site where you would do some creative writing basically and you would get exp and rewards based on someone grading your writing. Was pretty cool actually and I’m surprised it’s still around

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

it was a forum for people who played druids in Everquest

and then after that it was b3ta.com

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
I think my very first experience was getting banned from Albinoblacksheep because they thought I was posting from a prison, because I posted in a thread about prisoners who had internet arguing that it wasn't a bad thing.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A man in a trench coat did a split finger whistle at me. I asked what was going on and he opened his trenchcoat to reveal his naked body and a circuit bent turbo grafix 16. On it he was running the opera browser with the gbs page loaded. He scrolled through just a few posts and I came and poo poo my pants so hard I fell over backwards, and sprang back up like an inflatable clown. My head swelled like a weather balloon, and there I was, in the clouds. And as they parted, a ray of light shown down on the heavens to a cyber cafe. The kind with netscape, not aol, the real fuckin deal. I swooped down and got a latte and began clacking away at the keyboard like an angel, an angel making GBS threads cotton candy. :mmmsmug:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Good old GBS pants making GBS threads thread from 2005 or so. Lurked for a full year but got sick of having to look at lowtax's face which was the game i think so i registered

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

A man in a trench coat did a split finger whistle at me. I asked what was going on and he opened his trenchcoat to reveal his naked body and a circuit bent turbo grafix 16. On it he was running the opera browser with the gbs page loaded. He scrolled through just a few posts and I came and poo poo my pants so hard I fell over backwards, and sprang back up like an inflatable clown. My head swelled like a weather balloon, and there I was, in the clouds. And as they parted, a ray of light shown down on the heavens to a cyber cafe. The kind with netscape, not aol, the real fuckin deal. I swooped down and got a latte and began clacking away at the keyboard like an angel, an angel making GBS threads cotton candy. :mmmsmug:

dont dox me

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Probably a toss up between Planetside Universe and Through the Looking Glass Forums back in about 2003, but I swear I remember joining a forum in 2002. I absolutely cannot remember what it was called. I only know that it folded in about 2004-05 and it hosted gaming websites.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Mother fuckin Neopets back in the year 2K

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Neogaf.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Runescape forums. The most notable thing I did there was write some lovely stories about the deep Runescape universe.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

MSN Group Message boards

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

idk some flash animators’ forum which became a shittier 4chan somehow as early as 04 and died unceremoniously, but not before trying to rebirth outside of its original context, rather on the merit of its community (lol, and this doesn’t work). then maybe hell (it’s a forum). and a number of other places, I’ve seen some same usernames across all of them, and everywhere has referenced here, but this is the last big space of the old internet for better or worse, there’s nowhere else to go lol. I have been on this site forever so I don’t know why I didn’t post here earlier, but it’s for the best probably

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i hung out on some rando video game board, because i just had to talk about the zelda oracle games.not to alarm you but there were some people there who should have been much too old to be talking about toys with children...

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Lurked various strategy games' boards on heavengames.com (still around, last I checked)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A games forum on and off from 2002-2012. An overly zealous mod permabanned me in my first year, so I waited a while before going back to reregister sometime in 2004 after he stopped posting. I stopped posting much after 2008 when I joined SA. I got permanently banned from the politics subforum in 2012 because I upset the Christian mom who they let be a super moderator. She once came into a subforum she didnt moderate to shut down an entire thread after I said that I was happy Jerry Falwell was dead.

It was an alright place to start posting compared to what most game forums look like. Few serious grammar criminals, very little creepy stuff. But then around 2007 the community started to die off and just got more and more insular. New people don't really want to stick around when you flip out on them for posting in the thread that you declare is for you and your friends only. Last time I checked this one guy who'd been a real sadsack since before I started posting was still a sadsack with nothing to show for it 15 years later. Anway the place died a couple years ago or so and nobody rushed to bring it back up.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

gamefaqs and a forum for a text based game called utopia when i was 12 i think.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
what were those lovely message boards in the mid 90's called, i remember posting a lot of a hacker wannabe one

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
AOL chatrooms and sundry usenet groups where I inadvertently catfished many a pedophile before I even knew people had sex on the internet

I just thought they were being really nice

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a mere fledgling, i threatened to cum on ozma

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

AOL chatrooms in 95 where i am positive there were several attempts to groom me for sex. But my 28.8 modem made it so that i had trouble responding

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sid Vicious posted:

Forumopolis an offshoot of the PVP comics forums.
This but back when it was just the PvP forums. Solid place back then, way more intimate than SA which was at its peak, but I didn't really fit in and when I migrated to SA I never looked back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

AOL chatrooms in 95 where i am positive there were several attempts to groom me for sex. But my 28.8 modem made it so that i had trouble responding
You tease

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

tfw all your hawt 13/f/ca buddies are actually 30 year olds tryin 2 get pics of ur dick ONLY 90s KIDS GET THIS!!!

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

I miss the old internet as much as anybody else but maybe one aspect we all forget is how rife it was with sexual danger for children

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if we're including chatrooms, i was on the World of Nintendo chatrooms starting in 1998 and continuing for a couple of years

i've used a different username in almost every forum that i've posted in. i'm not sure why i did that but, in retrospect, it was a very good idea

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A friend showed me an ALOD on the front page for a child model site, and I've wanted to be a moderator ever since.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
MOTL and fucksociety.ca

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Zelda 64 forums, i think like zeldapower or something and then related games poo poo. most forums were pretty terrible tho

for SA, it was being linked to the ppp-powernotebook thread (tho i had read the front page before that and never realized there was a forum)

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I posted on home of the underdogs asking if anyonr had daggetfall.rar.part63

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ogrish forums.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Roblox forums in late 2009

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kinsky posted:

I miss the old internet as much as anybody else but maybe one aspect we all forget is how rife it was with sexual danger for children

It was but it wasn't? I ran into pedophiles a lot, but by the early aughts webcams were affordable and existed. if you had an eyetoy you also had a good webcam with the right drivers.

basically if they didn't have a webcam or got cagey about pictures, not sexual stuff just clothes and faces, then they were easy to write off. this is if you were trying to talk to girls on the internet as a preteen/young teen so the risk of pedos was known and screened for lol

dumber kids were in greater danger but pedos were pretty roundly chased by perverted justice

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Nintendo Power/NSider forums hell yeah OP :hfive: God that was long ago. Stuck it out there until they shut the forums down at which point I ended up migrating to both Samus.co.uk's forum and Acmlm's Board because of my interests in romhacking. Since then I've been all over, including other forums for romhacking like Super Mario World Central, where I'm still active and involved to this day, and of course, here. I joined SA because I wanted to do LPs and then didn't until seven years later lol.

I miss the forums atmosphere. Everything used to feel more personal when you were on smaller, specific-niche forums. Good to see a few are still active in spite of larger social media outlets.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
alliedassualt.com

It was a magical place

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Maddox criticized SomethingAwful once for selling adspace so I visited SomethingAwful to find out what it was and I thought it looked stupid so I kept reading Maddox until I was like 17 :(

Then in college my roommate kept showing me the Photoshop Phriday feature every week and I thought it was cool.

Then in 2009 I was browsing the forums for the first time ever and saw a Baldur's Gate II thread and I thought it was so cool so I paid the money to read other people talk about Baldur's Gate II on the internet. The internet! In 2009!

Nowadays I don't really have a good reason for being here because most of you are huge assholes and I think this site might be actively making my life worse, but I have to get my money's worth so I'm kind of stuck now.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think I posted on a Redwall forum when I was like 9 and was too dorky to even survive there

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think I posted on a Redwall forum when I was like 9 and was too dorky to even survive there

Cor blimey ye was just a wee bairn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

LargeHadron posted:

Nowadays I don't really have a good reason for being here because most of you are huge assholes and I think this site might be actively making my life worse, but I have to get my money's worth so I'm kind of stuck now.

granted, but all these years later this is still the best forum on the internet

• Locked thread