Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:peanut:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

whatever happened to the one that was a W and a hat

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

back in 07 there was an aussie goon who was an english teacher for "slow" kids and part of the class was creative writing and one of her students came up with this insane story about aussie teenage drama that the main character eventually like converted to islam and her friends and family would throw bacon at her yelling "repent bitch".

It was a SUPER long story like 20 parts and full of just crazy spelling and story and she would always write stuff like "we went tothe store and bought milk for two dolla dolla"

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

:henget:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

that's Sheamus, a professional wrestler, you can use it when you are talking about Sheamus

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

Pyf has a smilie history thread too. but rare is it that I venture to the hazardous lands outside of gbs.
why do we have a super milk chan smilie, everyone hated that show

I laughed at super milk chan once
the mayor's voice actor really leaned into the "m" in her name for no reason and then laughed, ruining the take, and they just left it in
that's it though

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

holy hell how is radcat not used more often

:radcat:

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Radcat is from the same "Draw E\N Threads" that the Vilerat cartoon came from.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499406

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Wow, I just found out that since I created :drat: that's there are now 22 variations.

That's my contribution to the internet I guess.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
:iamafag:, aka 'awesome' was another of those things born on these forums that escaped into the wider internet. It was originally bought in late '06, and GBS, true to form, proceeded to run it completely into the ground.

Eventually one of the admins got so fed up with it that he changed the :awesome : tag to display :awesome: instead, and it remains so over a decade later. This had the hilarious side effect of completely changing the meaning of any posts using :iamafag:, for example this entire thread

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

:weedass:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

:iamafag:, aka 'awesome' was another of those things born on these forums that escaped into the wider internet. It was originally bought in late '06, and GBS, true to form, proceeded to run it completely into the ground.

Eventually one of the admins got so fed up with it that he changed the :awesome : tag to display :awesome: instead, and it remains so over a decade later. This had the hilarious side effect of completely changing the meaning of any posts using :iamafag:, for example this entire thread

I sometimes post on an arcade hobbyist forum where people still use :iamafag: completely without irony and still get a kick out of it, it's actually really weird to, uh, code switch between SA and other oldschool vbullettin style forums where they just seem perpetually stuck in the mid 2000s. another forum I posts on has admins that actually delete posts from threads when people go offtopic or try to make (super innocent) jokey posts. getting genuinely weird breaks their minds and they freak out like I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS THREADSHITTING HOW COULD YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im pretty sure the bigpeeler emote specifically comes from this flash

http://roflzombie.com/flash/list.php?action=viewer&sortby=name&ftr=bigpeeler.swf

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Seen in the wild recently:

client
Aug 19, 2010

:belarus:

why does this exist lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

d0s posted:

I sometimes post on an arcade hobbyist forum where people still use :iamafag: completely without irony and still get a kick out of it, it's actually really weird to, uh, code switch between SA and other oldschool vbullettin style forums where they just seem perpetually stuck in the mid 2000s. another forum I posts on has admins that actually delete posts from threads when people go offtopic or try to make (super innocent) jokey posts. getting genuinely weird breaks their minds and they freak out like I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS THREADSHITTING HOW COULD YOU

if they're anything like the places I used to frequent, they're probably used to shitposting being kind of privileged behavior
I think every bbs back in the day had its local fyad wannabes who'd been around for years and were allowed to be cocky and irreverent and do poo poo that would get a newbie chewed out or banned because we know meatfrog, he's cool. but if we don't know you like that, it's weird to be overly familiar

web 2.0 basically demolished this, mostly by diluting the dynamic of having both core users and a regular set of general users. when there's no sense of community, either everybody's allowed to shitpost or nobody is

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
that vanity emote that atomic monkey bought twice and no one used

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
:ranbowdash:

Hey guys whats this

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the mass effect 2 thread spawned a bunch of really retarded ones

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jikes posted:

That one and the corresponding white one are from the "Help Me gently caress with the Culligan Man" aka Mr Water thread, where a goon pranked a Culligan deliveryman into thinking a retarded mermaid was in love with him.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1360298
The smiley in particular came from this picture, which the goon pranking the water man printed out and taped to one of the empty water bottles

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

literally a hog posted:

Erasmus the Wizard from the VGA remake of Quest for Glory 1

He makes terrible wizard puns.

I love him!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

:phoneb::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phone:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I like looking through the emotes and using ones I don’t recognize or understand. One time the guy the emote was named after hunted me down and scolded me for using his emote it was pretty funny. Thx for reading (:

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
please tell me it was Dominic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: beaten on Hannah

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nice

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

client posted:

:belarus:

why does this exist lol

what do you have against belarus bro

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

:iamafag::hf::razz:

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
My favorite is still the responsibility scallop. It came from a reCaptcha thread in which the posters would draw whatever the Captcha managed to say. Among the images were my personal favorites "who tamika", "titmouse hams", and "kickapoo court".

:backtowork:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

literally a hog posted:

Erasmus the Wizard from the VGA remake of Quest for Glory 1

He makes terrible wizard puns.

wtf i thought it was the squadela man from the faces of evil

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
this isn't for identifying but i thought goons loved the :frogout: frog

literally nobody uses the frog emotes so I wonder if it is a stale meme

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
There is a thread in PYF(compiled lists, I believe) that covers all of these smilies in detail. But.... who wants to go there? Psh.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Putty posted:

this isn't for identifying but i thought goons loved the :frogout: frog

literally nobody uses the frog emotes so I wonder if it is a stale meme

SA is insular and obscure enough these days that nobody tells people to :frogout: unless they're an obvious rereg

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p
:boobeer:

I don't even remotely understand this smiley at all

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

SA is insular and obscure enough these days that nobody tells people to :frogout: unless they're an obvious rereg

really, the way people rereg now is good for that. there was a lot of goddamned reg date weirdness back in the day with people telling new users to gently caress off and stuff. now nobody cares

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Blue Raider posted:

really, the way people rereg now is good for that. there was a lot of goddamned reg date weirdness back in the day with people telling new users to gently caress off and stuff. now nobody cares

I do. loving 06.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

yeah i'm talking about people like gurf etc. if someone has a 2017/18 reg date but they don't act like an idiot it doesn't matter

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

yeah i'm talking about people like gurf etc. if someone has a 2017/18 reg date but they don't act like an idiot it doesn't matter

:unsmith:

I wanted to reg back in 04 but I didn't get around to it. Life happened.

I recall this being made :wtc:
It was what the christ's AV but I'm unable to remember the full story. But, we have a stretched Riker, whom I originally thought was Billy Mayes for some reason.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Papa Emeritus III posted:

:unsmith:

I wanted to reg back in 04 but I didn't get around to it. Life happened.

I recall this being made :wtc:
It was what the christ's AV but I'm unable to remember the full story. But, we have a stretched Riker, whom I originally thought was Billy Mayes for some reason.

dang and i thought i was a longtime lurker. i found this place in 2007 but never bothered to register until 2014

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

dang and i thought i was a longtime lurker. i found this place in 2007 but never bothered to register until 2014

There were times when I was unable to follow for a year or two. The most recent hiatus was in 2014 to 2015, then for another handful of months until mid 2016. I missed the Shmorky meltdown and I also noticed how the forums became less strict.

One of my favorite spectator events was the dogFUCKER fiasco. I wish he had a smilie made but I'm drawing blanks on what it would contain...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:getin: is used pretty frequently, so the frog meme still lives

• Locked thread