Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.
i use arnies opening line from conan the barbarian as my ux guide too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
whenever i dream about using a computer, its always inaccessible to me

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I subscribe to the Umberto Eco school of UX.

if you don‘t make it past the first few intentionally horrible pages then you don‘t deserve to see the actually good and cool parts of the program

the good and cool stuff never makes it into the final product of course

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
tbh being actively hostile against your users is what software is all about

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
accessibility is a moral waste of time. get someone else to do it
this thread is so surprising to me. irl, i’ve never heard anyone say they want to add accessibiltu aria attrivutes to html. its grunt work

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
accessibility and user experience are way diff things. usability is insanely important. it helps lazy people get through your stuff to the payment pages. i think some people ITT (inthe thread) mayb be mistaking one for the orher

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it doesn't count as bad user experience if they can't use the site/app at all

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

obstipator posted:

accessibility is a moral waste of time. get someone else to do it
this thread is so surprising to me. irl, i’ve never heard anyone say they want to add accessibiltu aria attrivutes to html. its grunt work

obstipator posted:

accessibility and user experience are way diff things. usability is insanely important. it helps lazy people get through your stuff to the payment pages. i think some people ITT (inthe thread) mayb be mistaking one for the orher

look at all these wrong opinions

have you thought that the endgame of accessibility standards could probably be to use websites, apps, software, whatever seamlessly without having to stare at a screen or have to learn to navigate bullshit UIs?
what's the point of the software that you make? is it to provide some dumbass frontend idiot a new javascript to poo poo out or to allow people to retrieve information and interact with a service?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ok if its just to browse info, then just have the users read from my api endpoints directly. i dont see why i should spend time with aria attributes when 99% of users won’t use them. I target the 99% and someone else in the office can spend time on the grunt work for the 1% of users who usually dont even act like a customer

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im the guy that works on usability of a ui (less clicks to get to what youre looking for) because that translates to money and helps me improve and rise in a company. i dont waste my time with moral issues like aria attrs bc it is 100% grunt work that doesnt translate to any increased earnings

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

perhaps you could in return not waste peoples time with this rather lengthy way of saying "what i care about is money and there is little money in catering to the handicapped", because spread over several posts like this it may just confuse people to ascribe a more intersting opinion to you, which would only drive an argument you are presumably not looking for

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

obstipator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ltqfRn80A

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

obstipator posted:

ok if its just to browse info, then just have the users read from my api endpoints directly. i dont see why i should spend time with aria attributes when 99% of users won’t use them. I target the 99% and someone else in the office can spend time on the grunt work for the 1% of users who usually dont even act like a customer

you're lucky you're so short-sighted because at least you can see the screen

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

adding aria attributes? wow, a programmatically hard problem.. so difficult lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it does not surprise me that yospos goons are ableist garbage.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it doesn't count as bad user experience if they can't use the site/app at all

technically being lovely to all users is at least consistent to all users :kiddo:

obstipator posted:

im the guy that works on usability of a ui (less clicks to get to what youre looking for) because that translates to money and helps me improve and rise in a company. i dont waste my time with moral issues like aria attrs bc it is 100% grunt work that doesnt translate to any increased earnings

lol if your code is so lovely you need to worry about aria attrs and not just use the semantically correct html5 tags like anyone not making a page in 1997

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I focus on mobile native instead of web, and the thing that really drives it home for me is the fact that 20% of your users are going to at some point have something that involves accessibility support in one way or another, and that often an accessible UX is a good and usable UX. Having large tap targets makes it easier for me to navigate your app even if I don't have fine motor issues. Having a decent contrast makes it easier when my eyes are tired. Having a sane focus order means that a user who got their fancy keyboard for their tablet can just type type type without having to worry about jumping around the layout when they press enter.

I also can't count the number of times I've seen a TV on with captions, and I do it at home when watching movies. I can hear, but I want to be careful not to wake up the kids sometimes.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

it does not surprise me that yospos goons are ableist garbage.

agreedo

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im not saying accessibility is not valuable. im saying its worth someone elses time and not mine.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
its grunt work. get an intern to do it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if adding aria attributes actually takes a significant amount of your time, maybe your not as good a programmer as you think you are

you should do more adding of aria attributes and let the intern take care of the real thinky stuff

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
im all about efficiency. i spend my time on making the user have a faster experience. i spend my time making myself more efficient as a developer. aria attrs are an ideal world, but i spend my time i the 80% of what i think is most valauble to the most amount of people. i’ll leave the aria attrs to devs that dont value their own time

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I can tell because your really efficient at making lots of terrible posts on the something awful forums

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
its really Good that people that disagree with me are putting out such thoughtful arguments as to why im wrong

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
a couple of days ago some derpy screen-reading website plugin got popped so thousands of .gov sites started serving up coinminers because I guess the default assumption is that nobody uses a computer from the last 10 years?

btw iOS Maps is Cool And Good because it’s fully VoiceOver-enabled so even if you’re fully blind it’ll let you do cool things like help with tracing out the shape of a road on a map via sound and actively speaking out which direction you are headed and calling out intersections while walking down the road.

completely unsurprisingly Google Maps has zero support for these features.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
blind people usually drive their cars

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i guess you're just too efficient to read page 1

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

obstipator posted:

blind people usually drive their cars

you joke but i had to implement something that was usable for blind people for software that was specifically designed to be used by a driver on a vehicle dashboard.

everyone involved in the process knew it was dumb as hell but that checkbox in the requirements absolutely had to be marked.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

also, fun fact: maps arent only used while driving

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

btw iOS Maps is Cool And Good because it’s fully VoiceOver-enabled so even if you’re fully blind it’ll let you do cool things like help with tracing out the shape of a road on a map via sound and actively speaking out which direction you are headed and calling out intersections while walking down the road.

remembering which patterns of wrist taps from the watch mean left vs. right is great for walking around without having to be nose deep in your phone

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Cocoa Crispies posted:

remembering which patterns of wrist taps from the watch mean left vs. right is great for walking around without having to be nose deep in your phone

thats actually a really cool idea.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

thats actually a really cool idea.

i looked it up and it's

rapid = right
languid = left

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

buhhhh that's stu[pid jsut read the stuff the api spits back i am a very important developer

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

obstipator posted:

im all about efficiency. i spend my time on making the user have a faster experience. i spend my time making myself more efficient as a developer. aria attrs are an ideal world, but i spend my time i the 80% of what i think is most valauble to the most amount of people. i’ll leave the aria attrs to devs that dont value their own time
so how many manhours of other people's time do you waste by having done 80% of the legwork but leaving them to polish it (e.g. actually complete your work)

accessibility being difficult is a sign of you not doing your job correctly in the first place. i mean you can "not my problem" it all you want, but that's just ignoring your shortcomings imo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

so how many manhours of other people's time do you waste by having done 80% of the legwork but leaving them to polish it (e.g. actually complete your work)

accessibility being difficult is a sign of you not doing your job correctly in the first place. i mean you can "not my problem" it all you want, but that's just ignoring your shortcomings imo

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i guess what it comes down to how much you value your own time
i work on high priority tasks that are greatly beneficial to most people. back in the olden days, i did my time doing the grunt work. now i target my demographic. the intern can target everyone else if thats what the company deems morally worthwhile

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Volmarias posted:

I was gently dissuaded from working on accessibility in an app by a former manager, because while he acknowledged that it was the right thing to do, it wasn't going to get me promoted.

He was, of course, right, but it still sucks.

On the plus side, I said discover how laughably far ahead iOS is for built in accessibility compared to Android :(

which is really saying something because Apple is not great at accessibility

guess when a ui is inaccessible for non-disabled people, then it’s really hard to make it accessible for disabled people

also screen readers with webpages these days are still god awful, and it has to do with the fact the there’s zero standards to tell a browser how to build the accessibility tree

glad to see a thread about this here finally. I’m kind of opinionated about this since I’ve been working on making our company’s sites more accessible and the amount of disregard web devs have towards this is just depressing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol if your company holds ada lawsuit risk to only the intern level. nice clown industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

My Linux Rig posted:

which is really saying something because Apple is not great at accessibility

guess when a ui is inaccessible for non-disabled people, then it’s really hard to make it accessible for disabled people

also screen readers with webpages these days are still god awful, and it has to do with the fact the there’s zero standards to tell a browser how to build the accessibility tree

glad to see a thread about this here finally. I’m kind of opinionated about this since I’ve been working on making our company’s sites more accessible and the amount of disregard web devs have towards this is just depressing

im glad you're working on this, but apple is miles ahead of everyone on accessibility. i'd like to hear which major company is doing great with it isn't not them

• Locked thread