Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Oh poo poo, I thought this had started already! Hella, put me the gently caress in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

This is me this game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I like Dragon Ball Z but I hate Mafia.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mordiceius posted:

I like Dragon Ball Z but I hate Mafia.

you'll fit right in.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Realtalk: If you haven't watched Dragon Ball Z, watch Dragon Ball Z Kai. If you watched Dragon Ball Z on Toonami as a teenager like me, watch Dragon Ball Z Kai. In Kai, they take DBZ and cut out all the crappy filler. For comparison's sake DBZKai's Frieza arc is about 25 episodes from the point where they are journeying to Namek to the end. The original DBZ arc was about 75 episodes.

Basically Dragon Ball Z Kai is the Dragon Ball Z you think you remember.

Also, listen to the "All Systems Goku" companion podcast that Jeff Gerstmann and Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb are doing. They just got to the point where they met the Ginyu Force.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Mordiceius posted:

Realtalk: If you haven't watched Dragon Ball Z, watch Dragon Ball Z Kai. If you watched Dragon Ball Z on Toonami as a teenager like me, watch Dragon Ball Z Kai. In Kai, they take DBZ and cut out all the crappy filler. For comparison's sake DBZKai's Frieza arc is about 25 episodes from the point where they are journeying to Namek to the end. The original DBZ arc was about 75 episodes.

Basically Dragon Ball Z Kai is the Dragon Ball Z you think you remember.

Also, listen to the "All Systems Goku" companion podcast that Jeff Gerstmann and Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb are doing. They just got to the point where they met the Ginyu Force.

Thank you for this recommendation!

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Totally correct. Found out my roommate hasn't seen dbz yesterday. Told him to watch Kai. Super is the best dragonball property though, foreal.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

All Systems Goku is very good. I watched through Kai with my niece and she's in love (she wants to be Bulma for Halloween and wants me to, somehow, be Piccolo). We're also caught up to Super's dub and part way through the original Dragonball. We'll start Abridged soon.

What I'm trying to say is Earth has Goku, and Goku has us.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
How is this game not full? Wtf are people waiting for

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

b-minus1 posted:

*powering up continues*

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

b-minus1 posted:

All the other games going on right now.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

SalTheBard posted:

All the other games going on right now.

I think there's just ecco's and riven if that started though. The other games are also recruiting lol

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I think there's just ecco's and riven if that started though. The other games are also recruiting lol

Put a recruit in T.G. recruit or PM a mod and see if it's ok. DBZ would probably pull in a few apps and new players.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Do I need to understand DBZ to play? I never watched it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

willie_dee posted:

See my previous post.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

willie_dee posted:

Not at all but it helps.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

willie_dee posted:

Nope, not at all. You barely need to understand mafia.

Sal's right though, it'll help a little and the game will be more enjoyable if you know what's up with the flavour.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I have never watched DBZ and know about it entirely through cultural osmosis

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I'll play

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I haven't played Mafia in years, I'm in.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

willie_dee posted:

Last DBZ game involved a lot of flavour arguments (that were 100% worth having and useful), so take that for what you will, but this one will probably be less so.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I’ve only ever played werewolf. If that’s close enough for me play along then I’m in

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I’ve only ever played werewolf. If that’s close enough for me play along then I’m in

Same thing as mafia, just more lasers.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Nice to see some new faces in here!

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Android Saga in a nutshell:
Goku hasn't returned to earth after defeating Frieza on Namek, but everyone on earth is chilling anyhow.

Time traveling future Trunks goes back in time to warn earth about the androids that are coming to kick their teeth in.

Goku eventually shows up and is like oh what's up. Some weird aliens tought me how to travel across time and space by focusing my god like powers. NBD.

Oh, and Frieza whom Goku defeated has become a cyborg seeking revenge.

Trunks is just like w.e. and kills him with a sword and some gang signs, and is like yeah yeah that was cool and all, but these androids are coming.

I mean his timeline is forever boned, but good on him for preventing the same, but w.e. time travel

Goku has a heart disease suddenly. Something about a cure and him dying

Androids come and kick in teeth.

Vegeta cries because as Prince of the Saiyans he should have been the legendary super Saiyans and yadda dadda.

Future trunks has daddy issues, vegeta is his daddy. The issues are understandable.

He gets time to bond though in the time chamber where they get really buff to prepare for the ultimate Android menace cell.

Krillin the best character in the series marries one of the androids somewhere. She's ok. They even have a baby and he grows a mustache. It's a whole thing.

Cell is like a weird bio bug droid man who absorbs the other androids through his butt horn tail whip thing.

It's a weird appendage.

Cell gets strong after nomming

Everyone else is not strong enough.

P. Much full on in cell saga by now? Maybe I'm missing some crucial plot elements.

Goku is dead and channels his spirit through Gohan who is also obv a super saiyan.

Also with the blood of goku, still superior to vegeta. At least at this point

And that's the androids and cell saga.

As I remember it from about 15 years ago or w.e.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Android Saga in a nutshell:
Goku hasn't returned to earth after defeating Frieza on Namek, but everyone on earth is chilling anyhow.

Time traveling future Trunks goes back in time to warn earth about the androids that are coming to kick their teeth in.

Goku eventually shows up and is like oh what's up. Some weird aliens tought me how to travel across time and space by focusing my god like powers. NBD.

Oh, and Frieza whom Goku defeated has become a cyborg seeking revenge.

Trunks is just like w.e. and kills him with a sword and some gang signs, and is like yeah yeah that was cool and all, but these androids are coming.

I mean his timeline is forever boned, but good on him for preventing the same, but w.e. time travel

Goku has a heart disease suddenly. Something about a cure and him dying

Androids come and kick in teeth.

Vegeta cries because as Prince of the Saiyans he should have been the legendary super Saiyans and yadda dadda.

Future trunks has daddy issues, vegeta is his daddy. The issues are understandable.

He gets time to bond though in the time chamber where they get really buff to prepare for the ultimate Android menace cell.

Krillin the best character in the series marries one of the androids somewhere. She's ok. They even have a baby and he grows a mustache. It's a whole thing.

Cell is like a weird bio bug droid man who absorbs the other androids through his butt horn tail whip thing.

It's a weird appendage.

Cell gets strong after nomming

Everyone else is not strong enough.

P. Much full on in cell saga by now? Maybe I'm missing some crucial plot elements.

Goku is dead and channels his spirit through Gohan who is also obv a super saiyan.

Also with the blood of goku, still superior to vegeta. At least at this point

And that's the androids and cell saga.

As I remember it from about 15 years ago or w.e.

Forgot to mention the best character in the series, Mr Satan.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Oh yeah the whole fighting tournament lol. Mr. Satan is p. Great

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Also Goku spends some time in Hell, but that is kinda this weird semi-filler stuff that probably won't be covered in this game.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ill play only if im mr satan's dog

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Crazyeyes posted:

Also Goku spends some time in Hell, but that is kinda this weird semi-filler stuff that probably won't be covered in this game.

Mordiceius posted:

watch Dragon Ball Z Kai

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I have never tried a mafia game before and am trying to occasionally try new things more often, so I'll give it a shot. Your post in the DBZ thread got you at least one recruitment.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I hope Mr. Satan is a character and is Vanilla Town.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

flerp posted:

ill play only if im mr satan's dog

I have a feeling you’re going to be scum this game. It’s finally happening

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
5 more!

Special thanks to all the newbies playing, it's really good to have new blood in mafia.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

Just started listening to this today and it's fantastic :allears:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

b-minus1 posted:

I have a feeling you’re going to be scum this game. It’s finally happening

we can only hope

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I haven't played a game of mafia in forever, time to remind myself why. I'm in.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I guess I should join.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
shut up. shtu up. im here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
2 more. If they fill by a reasonable time today I'll spend the rest of the evening making up spreadsheets and have role PMs out by tomorrow morning at the latest.

Would give us a Monday evening deadline.

• Locked thread