Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There's a similar stage in the second game, but it's a lot more forgiving (not that that would be very difficult) and it also has the track Praying Hands as its stage music, which is probably my favourite Castlevania theme, bar none

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

There's a similar stage in the second game, but it's a lot more forgiving (not that that would be very difficult) and it also has the track Praying Hands as its stage music, which is probably my favourite Castlevania theme, bar none
Well, I'm looking forward to it, then! Gonna make this official: because it's been a lot of fun getting back to LPing, I will definitely do the sequel at least. These games are nicely bite-sized anyway, so I don't fear burning out or getting super overwhelmed by work at an inopportune time (there may be lulls in updates while I'm doing real life poo poo, though).

As for said sequel, I have not experienced even a second of it, seeing as my memories of a possible previous LP I watched or not are either invented or so long ago that it doesn't matter anyway. Is anyone particularly interested in seeing my blind reaction to Adventure 2: Chillstopher's Fed Up With This Bullshit? I'm confident in my ability to not completely gently caress it up, and apparently it's way better than this poo poo anyway, so gameplay-wise, it should work out I think. If you want to see how something similar might look like, I did a blind (but also afterwards informative) playthrough of Mega Man II on Gameboy. Or click one of my recent Dark Souls III videos, those are super rambly though because I don't care about their quality.

Oh, and another thing: while I was downloading obtaining a legit copy of the game somehow, I noticed that there are actually three Castlevanias on Gameboy, which I was completely unaware of. And I also have the remake sitting around...oh boy.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Oh, and another thing: while I was downloading obtaining a legit copy of the game somehow, I noticed that there are actually three Castlevanias on Gameboy, which I was completely unaware of. And I also have the remake sitting around...oh boy.

You mean Legends? That got retconned into oblivion so that might be why you didn't know about it. Also, it was made in 97. So even if you didn't know it was thrown down the memory hole you probably didn't know about it because it was so late in the game boy life cycle.

Looking forward to you going back to doing your chill thing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Legends is a strange beast IIRC, but hey, I’d be down to see you give it and this game’s sequel a go. If you’re going blind, might I suggest doing the dual-commentary thing you did with Mega Man II as well? :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
For a number of reasons, I very strongly recommend blindrunning legends. There are certain contrasts with the other game boy games that make it very interesting.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Ah geez, this game has the LttP Master Sword problem. I'm not the only one who hates that sword beam, right?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

magikid posted:

Ah geez, this game has the LttP Master Sword problem. I'm not the only one who hates that sword beam, right?

Same here. It's an especially troublesome and questionable design element in CV, since iirc its origins are in the Haunted Castle arcade game, where its role in punishing the player and devouring their lives makes a degree of sense.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Chapter 3 was fun to watch but oh boy that level design on The Tower sucks rear end. I would have given up really early on that level as I don't have the patience to deal with bullshit like that nowadays.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Legends is a strange beast IIRC, but hey, I’d be down to see you give it and this game’s sequel a go. If you’re going blind, might I suggest doing the dual-commentary thing you did with Mega Man II as well? :v:
I might, depending on how well the blind run goes. Let's see! I'll start soon (maybe even today)...

Discendo Vox posted:

For a number of reasons, I very strongly recommend blindrunning legends. There are certain contrasts with the other game boy games that make it very interesting.
Duly noted

magikid posted:

It's bizarrely made a complete non-issue because there's not a single screen in the game I can think of where having the projectile gives you an actually great advantage. With two exceptions: the second boss requires less walking if they spawn on the right of the screen, and the two or so candles you can ONLY reach with the projectile. If someone thinks "that first boss sure has a small range, what about him?" - regretfully, the projectiles actually bounce off his armor.

Anyway, I did the editing for the final episode.

Hope you guys enjoy death reels.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Music: Revenge [Stage 4]

Gate to Hell [Final Boss Pt 1]
Evil Devil [Final Boss Pt 2]
The Legend of Dracula [Staff Roll]
Reprise [The End]

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
What you said around 10:40 really summed up the game for me:

"It's possible. But it's not fun".

Thank you for suffering for us, Simon. I wasn't even playing and I got angry a couple of times, there. Those spike rooms are utter bullshit.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Now I finally have context for those pencils in one of the Dacula levels. I should probably go back to Heavy Sigh's footage just to compare that to its source material.

And speaking more directly about Castlevania games, it's interesting to compare the development process of this one to that of Harmony of Dissonance. Both were kind of rushed out the door, but in the case of HoD the designers straight up didn't have all the devkit tools they needed. (In particular check the audio and graphics.) But for all that, and for it being half-filled with direct SotN callbacks, HoD is still a decent game. (Not good, but decent.)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I did play this game as a kid. Never understood the concept of inching forward and thought the jumps were impossible.
That bat at the end had to be colossal in size to make a break like that. Perspective!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

Now I finally have context for those pencils in one of the Dacula levels. I should probably go back to Heavy Sigh's footage just to compare that to its source material.

And speaking more directly about Castlevania games, it's interesting to compare the development process of this one to that of Harmony of Dissonance. Both were kind of rushed out the door, but in the case of HoD the designers straight up didn't have all the devkit tools they needed. (In particular check the audio and graphics.) But for all that, and for it being half-filled with direct SotN callbacks, HoD is still a decent game. (Not good, but decent.)
HoD loving sucks, and yes I am aware of what I just LPd

Scalding Coffee posted:

I did play this game as a kid. Never understood the concept of inching forward and thought the jumps were impossible.
That bat at the end had to be colossal in size to make a break like that. Perspective!
Chillstopher is so incompetent that he made Dracula vastly more powerful by giving him sensual whip massages

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I didn't realize Dracula was Jewish!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I feel like I should mention that they threw in a reference to this game in Castlevania Harmony of Despair. When playing as Simon, doing a Hadoken motion with the whip causes it to shoot a fireball.

Would be great if the fireballs in this game required an extra motion so you could choose when to use them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ephraim225 posted:

I feel like I should mention that they threw in a reference to this game in Castlevania Harmony of Despair. When playing as Simon, doing a Hadoken motion with the whip causes it to shoot a fireball.

Would be great if the fireballs in this game required an extra motion so you could choose when to use them.
Yeah, but can you imagine trying to actually reliably pull off a QCF in a game that apparently frequently decides, "Nah, I don't feel like letting you jump. I think I'm going to ignore that B press."

It's not Chillstopher who's a lazy-rear end incompetent, it's the game itself.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Does the New Game Plus have a different ending? Dracula escaping feels like a classic "you didn't beat it the right way" turn.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. They actually loop it. Going through once was enough impossible and they expect people to take a second bite at the apple?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

Where are you finding this info about development histories?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

CPColin posted:

I didn't realize Dracula was Jewish!

That's another way to explain his aversion to the cross.

Thanks for LPing this game, as I said I got stuck on stage 3 but from what I see, the next one is as bullshit as that one.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mad Jaqk posted:

Does the New Game Plus have a different ending? Dracula escaping feels like a classic "you didn't beat it the right way" turn.

Internet doesn't mention it at all. Of course it's technically possible that nobody ever bothered with hard mode.

On the other hand, this game is supposed to be a prequel of sorts. In that way, the ending maybe makes sense.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Ephraim225 posted:

extra motion
: I don't follow :confused:

Mad Jaqk posted:

As CO2 said, I don't know because the internet doesn't know and I really do not care to find out. However, I am 99% sure that nothing changes because the game has a sequel that is explicitly about Chillstopher fixing his fuckup here, as far as I understood it.

Petiso posted:

That's another way to explain his aversion to the cross.

Thanks for LPing this game, as I said I got stuck on stage 3 but from what I see, the next one is as bullshit as that one.
I think stage 3 is more soul-crushingly awful than 4 because having to go up aaaaall the way from the bottom of the vertical room every single time you get instantly killed through something that really doesn't feel like your fault and having to watch Chillstopher sloooowly climb those ropes is the platonic ideal of demotivation. The final stretch of stage 4 has a really cruel checkpoint, but to be honest, getting the pencil jumps correct isn't that hard, and they come out at a reasonable pace (compared to Chillstopher), so it doesn't even take that long to redo. It has a habit of grinding you down through attrition, but you can actively "git gud" at it until you either keep the metal whip up until the end (that's how I beat it the first time - I didn't get hit after the first pencil room powerup, keep in mind that I didn't know about the secret room) or you have enough health to tank the three boss armors, or (as shown) you actually manage to beat them fair and square with the leather whip. This is way, way more doable and - perhaps more importantly - feels that way than "whoops you hosed up the falling platform jump right at the end of the climbing section, get your rear end back to the bottom and spend three tedious minutes until you can have the next attempt :iamafag:".

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Me and my brother used to have this game for Game Boy back in the day. I'm pretty sure the furthest I ever made it at all was stage 2. At some point, someone we knew borrowed it, while we borrowed Kirby's Dream Land from them. They ended up somehow losing our Castlevania cartridge, so we got to keep Kirby.

I'm calling that a pretty good trade.

Having tried the sequel and Legends on emulator later in life, I wasn't a great fan of either of them, but Legends at least vaguely approached being somewhat playable, from what I remember. Still didn't think it was that good, but anyway.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Where are you finding this info about development histories?
I forget where they mentioned exactly why the audio sucked (poor devkit), but there was a developer interview over a decade back.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Mad Jaqk posted:

It's pure sequel setup. The sequel's plot is essentially "Dracula wasn't dead after all, and he's not very happy about almost getting killed by Chillstopher". It's surprisingly sophisticated for a game that doesn't really have a plot beyond that one scene.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I think I'm going to have to find a cart and play through this.

edit:
I appreciate that my reputation for honesty and ethics has reached the point of inspiring credulousness.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 24, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I think I'm going to have to find a cart and play through this.
My job here is done :getin:.

Good luck finding a cart, otherwise as I said it's on 3DS virtual console with much reduced pain. Feel invited to use this thread as your trip report if you do manage to get a hold of the game!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's no more than $15 USD on ebay. :buddy:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I "found" a "cartridge" and have a trip report for the first two stages.

This is some pretty foul jank, though I played worse back in the day. I've not had problems with lost input, but it's clear there are processing and rendering check issues- Christopher flickers into a standing sprite when he loads onto a room while climbing a rope, then does so again about a second later before things calm down. More telling, when a lot of things are being rendered, any point of layer overlap starts to flicker and slowdown begins- it's most visible with the timer.

The first boss is trivial to jump over, because he moves all the way to the side if you wait long enough.

There are some nifty dodges you can pull off to increase your odds of dodging bats, but it's really down to luck a lot of the time. Given their placement, I suspect the first sets of bats are intended damage to nerf the player's whip, but I'm not sure.

Jumping over the eyeballs on the bridge can be a great time-saver if you can pull it off consistently, and that's a bit tricky with the tiny screen size.

Zeldo sickles can't be whipped out of the air. This is a crime against humanity.

Across the board, the single biggest issue for a modern player is that the timing and order of priority for player actions is the oldest of the old school, with no input overriding and really extended timing for attacks that requires a ton of getting used to.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I "found" a "cartridge" and have a trip report for the first two stages.

This is some pretty foul jank, though I played worse back in the day.
That is actually a valid point I wanted to bring up but forgot/the ending rant was long enough already. When I think back on my early Gameboy playing days, it was a super mixed bag because like everything electronic, videogames came a little late to Germany and its kids (I still have not seen a single real life NES), so we had a wild mixture of first-year titles (obligatory Tetris and Super Mario Land) available simultaneously with obviously far more (technologically) advanced games once the first systems made their way into my Bavarian village. Because nobody back then had game magazines or the internet, you'd just check out which games this or that friend had gotten their parents to buy them solely on box art and maaaaybe word of mouth. So I'd be playing Kirby's Dream Land at one girl's house and I decided I had to befriend her up to innocent kisses just to keep playing it, while another buddy lost out socially because he only had some super weird trash.

I still have vivid memories of playing in the same year an honestly rather decent if super unforgiving licensed Smurfs game which looked and sounded and controlled just fine, and something I thought at the time was Popeye but I couldn't find it - it had sprites that made Chillstopher look HD, the typical bad game melee attack that extends half a pixel forward combined with enemies that are simply too small to hit at all, and a second level that started out with invisible instant death holes in the floor. It was completely unplayable hyper garbage of the highest caliber and really, there was a lot of this shovelware around because we just didn't know any better - if the unlucky kid owning that (and probably Tetris and SML because everyone did...) got their hands on Castlevania next, they'd have praised it as the second coming of gaming Christ for sure.

Another point of comparison: some rear end in a top hat had a game he thought was super cool but he was a dumb bully with also no taste. You flew a helicopter with...existing controls, one bump against anything and you're dead, the usual fare, and had to fly through a ruined city or something picking up survivors and bring them to a save zone. It was probably Gulf War themed or something. That was the entire game, basically a glorified minigame. Anything with actual design to it would also completely clown on that kind of game, so another point for CV:TA not being that bad...for its time.

quote:

I've not had problems with lost input, but it's clear there are processing and rendering check issues- Christopher flickers into a standing sprite when he loads onto a room while climbing a rope, then does so again about a second later before things calm down. More telling, when a lot of things are being rendered, any point of layer overlap starts to flicker and slowdown begins- it's most visible with the timer.

The first boss is trivial to jump over, because he moves all the way to the side if you wait long enough.
drat, that would have been a more Chillstopher way to handle the fight...

quote:

There are some nifty dodges you can pull off to increase your odds of dodging bats, but it's really down to luck a lot of the time. Given their placement, I suspect the first sets of bats are intended damage to nerf the player's whip, but I'm not sure.
The entire start of stage 2 makes no loving sense to me. Why have the almost unavoidable bats within the first SECOND, then present you with an Invincibility in a candle directly afterwards to make the second set trivial...and then you never have to deal with that poo poo again unless you screw up the final boss? One should also note that it's the only Invincibility that's not related to them being unable to design ropes + eyeballs.

quote:

Jumping over the eyeballs on the bridge can be a great time-saver if you can pull it off consistently, and that's a bit tricky with the tiny screen size.
I was taking my time there because it's probably the single best room in the game and it needed to be savored. It absolutely makes the most out of every limited tool the game has: the eyeballs are just a bit faster than Chillstopher, so the ones behind you have to be dealt with eventually, but the ones coming at you will pass under him quick enough that you can make the jump. You can whip them easily, but you have to spend time ducking AND whipping, so it needs to be very deliberate, but you also have to think about if you want to destroy the bridge or not. Maybe destroy it behind you, though? That's a good tactic! And you even have time to think about how to approach the next setup. It's really good and I'm glad to report that the remake does something equally cool with the eyeballs.

quote:

Zeldo sickles can't be whipped out of the air. This is a crime against humanity.
I told you there is one and only one tactic

quote:

Across the board, the single biggest issue for a modern player is that the timing and order of priority for player actions is the oldest of the old school, with no input overriding and really extended timing for attacks that requires a ton of getting used to.
Yes, I think I should emphasize that as well: the game does not, in fact, just randomly eat inputs. It just feels that way for every kind of modern sensibility. There is no fluidity in any movement. If you whip standing up, you CANNOT duck during the whipping animation, and you CANNOT interrupt it with anything like a jump or movement. If you want to whip something low coming at you, you have to
- come to a full stop
- press down to duck
- make sure Chillstopher is currently ducking
- press the whip button
- you have been hit during step 2 if you expected this to play like a platformer
This is insanely hard to adjust to and will get you killed billions of times during stage 3. It's also pretty much impossible to convey on video so I went for the "eats inputs" shortcut explanation because it's reasonably close: if you hit jump and left at the same time, for example, if jump registers first, then you'll go straight up and have to just deal with that for a second. So in a way your left input did get eaten. It's just not because of a programming error, it's because you have have have to be holding left when you press the jump button.

Funnily enough, I have encountered a game with the exact opposite problem (again, by design) recently; it's Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. That game also plays like Lara really, really doesn't want to exist even on the same plane of existance as its godawful level design, but the jumping especially is something else. If you push the jump button, Lara will start ducking to get enough momentum or whatever, so that really takes a lot of deliberation, but after pressing the jump button you have a good half second or so while the insanely slow animation plays to press a direction and Lara will actually change the jump into one of that direction! That sounds convenient but it's so completely unlike any sane game has ever and will ever handle jumping somewhere that my brain had to completely rewire itself to get anywhere starting from the first level. Also, I had to basically save before and after every jump, it is really almost completely unplayable. I still finished it with me and my wife laughing our loving asses off at how utterly hosed the game is, so hard recommendation again if you're slightly (or very) masochistic and don't get enraged by garbage fires that had the gall to retail for actual real life money.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Tomb Raider as an IP is just a fascinating adventure in control design.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

That is actually a valid point I wanted to bring up but forgot/the ending rant was long enough already. When I think back on my early Gameboy playing days, it was a super mixed bag because like everything electronic, videogames came a little late to Germany and its kids (I still have not seen a single real life NES), so we had a wild mixture of first-year titles (obligatory Tetris and Super Mario Land) available simultaneously with obviously far more (technologically) advanced games once the first systems made their way into my Bavarian village.

Oh COME ON. You Germans got TRANSLATIONS of Gameboy games.

Here in the Netherlands, whenever I got a game that turned out to be texty (Sword of Hope, Gargoyle's Quest, later on Pokemon) I just had to hope I could make any sense of the English which I couldn't really speak when I was 10, and otherwise I was just stumbling around and the games were nearly impossible to play.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Tomb Raider as an IP is just a fascinating adventure in control design.
You'd think by the time they put a game on the PS2 they could have made something that controlled better than loving Croc, but it really doesn't. By the way, how's your Adventure continuing, beaten stage 3 yet :D?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Here in the Netherlands, whenever I got a game that turned out to be texty (Sword of Hope, Gargoyle's Quest, later on Pokemon) I just had to hope I could make any sense of the English which I couldn't really speak when I was 10, and otherwise I was just stumbling around and the games were nearly impossible to play.
Just learn proper German then :shrug:.

Jk, but we should have swapped places, I just played platformers when I was a kid, though like everyone I did obviously get hooked on Pokemon. Did they not have game guides in swamp German?

Also I was looking through a list of GB games and while there is a Popeye game that could vaguely fit my memories, it doesn't nearly look as garbage as I remember and it was never released in Europe, according to Wikipedia. I did find the helicopter game though which has the most amazing name a German name would never understand.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There probably were game guides but I never really got any.

By the time Pokemon was released I knew some basic English. The main thing I remember from that first playthrough was not understanding the difference between "psychic" and "physical" in in-game text, because the words share a lot of letters.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hey man, at least we got Lufia II.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Also I was looking through a list of GB games and while there is a Popeye game that could vaguely fit my memories, it doesn't nearly look as garbage as I remember and it was never released in Europe, according to Wikipedia.

This game was released in Europe, a friend had it. It wasn't a complete disaster, but it certainly wasn't good, and I remember the local Nintendo magazine giving it a review so negative they actually felt bad about it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
If I remember correctly... One of the versions of this game is said to be impossible to beat. Either Rebirth or the original. It was a weird/curious statement that it kind of always stuck with me.

Edit: Or do it deathless? I don't remember the whole story but that's just one of those things.

Zain fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 25, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Carbon dioxide posted:

By the time Pokemon was released I knew some basic English. The main thing I remember from that first playthrough was not understanding the difference between "psychic" and "physical" in in-game text, because the words share a lot of letters.

Do I know that pain. I couldn't tell the difference between Strength, Screech and something else (Scratch, I think?) because I had very little English knowledge back then (though in my case my first language is Spanish rather than German or pseudo-German).

You know what pain I don't know? Getting through this game. Great job, Simon, I'll never try this game in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

You'd think by the time they put a game on the PS2 they could have made something that controlled better than loving Croc, but it really doesn't. By the way, how's your Adventure continuing, beaten stage 3 yet :D?

I gotta be honest, stage 3 wasn't that difficult. Stage 4 produced a lot more difficulty for me-it's clear that they stopped trying to design for anything but the maxed whip. I started into the second loop before taking a break.

Zain posted:

If I remember correctly... One of the versions of this game is said to be impossible to beat. Either Rebirth or the original. It was a weird/curious statement that it kind of always stuck with me.

There are videos of people doing no damage runs of Adventure, and I did some research on version differences. Although there are rumors to the contrary, no substantive differences exist between Adventure cart differences. Even the erroneous candle in stage 3 is still there.

• Locked thread