Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I'm going to be contrarian and say practicality. As practical as it is to run around with a giant horn, anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Episode 3: Kulu Fried Chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr2xcywZjvI

Item stats coming soon! (TM)

Today we fight a big chicken boy and get ready to farm up some FASHION. Also, mushrooms.

Discussion point of the episode: How do you like your eggs/mushrooms/eggs and mushrooms?

Concept art: Kulu-Ya-Ku

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 13, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting LP, and the game is really pretty but man does it look incredibly un-fun to play between everything needing a billion hits to bring down and the game drowning in gathery crafty grindy bullshit.

As for the discussion point: I've had some really good omelettes with chopped up mushrooms in the filling.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I LOVE cheese omelettes with mushrooms in 'em, but I'll be damned if I could ever cook one properly that didn't end up scrambled cheesy egg with mushroom bits :shobon:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The first time I fought a Kulu I'd already forgotten how the slinger worked, leading to a long-rear end fight where I sat around for a minute waiting for the bird to drop his rock, only for him to immediately dig up another rock before I could get more than two hits in. Somehow I still managed to finish before the mission timed out.

Later I went to fight one in the arena and had the same problem because there weren't any rocks to use for ammo. :saddowns:

I prefer my eggs-and-shrooms in fried rice or ramen. Otherwise it's mushrooms in soups and sauces, eggs hard-boiled for a quick shot of cholesterol protein.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

Interesting LP, and the game is really pretty but man does it look incredibly un-fun to play between everything needing a billion hits to bring down and the game drowning in gathery crafty grindy bullshit.
It's not bad at all once you get better gear. I've beaten the poo poo out of our chicken friend in just a few hits with fully-leveled gear. The grind is real, but then again that's the game: kill (or trap) stuff to get stuff to make better stuff to kill more stuff. The gameplay is fun enough that it doesn't seem grindy unless you're looking for a specific very rare item which you can buy most of later on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SubponticatePoster posted:

It's not bad at all once you get better gear. I've beaten the poo poo out of our chicken friend in just a few hits with fully-leveled gear. The grind is real, but then again that's the game: kill (or trap) stuff to get stuff to make better stuff to kill more stuff. The gameplay is fun enough that it doesn't seem grindy unless you're looking for a specific very rare item which you can buy most of later on.

I dunno, I hate crafting systems in video games and what you're describing sounds like an MMO treadmill more than a game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The entire game pretty much is one giant treadmill considering there's 0 leveling system outside of your cat. If you're not a fan of the grind and the crafting this really isn't the game for you unless someone lets you try it out on a character that is fully kitted out already. Enjoyment is really up to how much you like the combat system.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 13, 2018

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I hate crafting systems in video games and what you're describing sounds like an MMO treadmill more than a game.

MHW stands head and shoulders above that kind of treadmill by virtue of having combat gameplay that is good enough to be a reason to keep playing the game. I didn't put dozens of hours into the game because I love loot grinds, it was because hunting and fighting the monsters was a lot of fun. But, responding to the part where you said you hate crafting systems, that probably means that you and Monster Hunter just aren't compatible. The weapon and armor crafting is the entirety of your character progression until the very late stages when random decoration drops come into play.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Walrus Pete posted:

MHW stands head and shoulders above that kind of treadmill by virtue of having combat gameplay that is good enough to be a reason to keep playing the game. I didn't put dozens of hours into the game because I love loot grinds, it was because hunting and fighting the monsters was a lot of fun. But, responding to the part where you said you hate crafting systems, that probably means that you and Monster Hunter just aren't compatible. The weapon and armor crafting is the entirety of your character progression until the very late stages when random decoration drops come into play.

Fair enough. I've started to really hate crafting systems in RPGs, I much prefer the quest -> reward and boss -> reward system. I've yet to find a game with a crafting system that didn't feel absurdly grindy, and this game looks no different.

It's pretty to watch, at least, and the combat system seems fun if badly weighed down by enemies being tedious mountains of HP to whittle away with your butter knife with, at least early on.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Keep in mind that all I show is the first time I fight a monster, usually with gear a tier below what that monster will give. I do farm them afterwards and times usually drop pretty drastically.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ibblebibble posted:

Keep in mind that all I show is the first time I fight a monster, usually with gear a tier below what that monster will give. I do farm them afterwards and times usually drop pretty drastically.

Farming that poo poo for decent gear, really?

Okie dokie, this series is definitely not for me.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Cythereal posted:

Farming that poo poo for decent gear, really?

Okie dokie, this series is definitely not for me.

Yeah, from what I’m understanding so far, MHW basically seems like a glorified console MMO. You have the campaign for solo players and multiplayer lobbies for boss hunts/everything else.

I like MMOs and all, but the big monsters escaping to different zones of the map (rather than staying in one place) seems kinda annoying. Is running out of time and failing the missions a common thing?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nondevor posted:

Yeah, from what I’m understanding so far, MHW basically seems like a glorified console MMO. You have the campaign for solo players and multiplayer lobbies for boss hunts/everything else.

I like MMOs and all, but the big monsters escaping to different zones of the map (rather than staying in one place) seems kinda annoying. Is running out of time and failing the missions a common thing?

I believe MHW is the first MH to have a unified solo/multiplayer campaign. You can do any of the assignments either way. I just stick to solo for the LP to not make things messy. Monsters also get a health boost in MP so it can take longer sometimes.

I don't think I've ever run out of time in MHW, I usually fail a quest by hitting the faint limit. The default time of 50 minutes is extremely generous. Some investigations ask for shorter times in return for greater rewards but at that point you'll be geared up decently and hopefully familiar enough with the monster to kill/capture it in 5-10 minutes. Considering that 15 minutes is the shortest amount of time you'll ever be assigned, time is very generous in this game.

Also, later in the game there's arena quests which are set in one small arena as the name suggests. No need to go search for monsters on big maps.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Episode 4: Puking Up A Storm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OycfrCj20k

I think I've accepted that item stats are going to have to be left until the end of the LP when I'm cleaning up :v:

We finally get around to fighting that Pukei-Pukei we met in episode 2, we get to see some capturing and I show off a cool weapon: dual blades! Next time: the Wildspire Waste.

Random discussion question: What was your worst vomit moment?

Concept art: Pukei-Pukei

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 13, 2018

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
My worst vomit story? I have a few, but the worst was when I made my mom's car completely unbearable for the rest of it's lifespan. I was very sick, and asked my mom to pull over as we pulled into the parking lot for my apartment at the time. I told my mom that I couldn't make it all the way to the apartment, but she didn't believe me. My sister and I ended up walking the rest of the way covered in my vomit while my mom found a place to park. She was never able to get the smell all the way out of the carpet, and that entire summer we had to drive with the windows down because the stench was overwhelming in the heat.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My personal worst vom story was when I was organising an event for a club I was part of. Not many folks showed up so I just started chugging the vodka I had, and next thing I knew I was in bed. Friend of mine had to take me back home whilst I ranted about how Aquaman is a poo poo hero who only talks to fish in between the occasional upchuck.

Good times.

By the way, hopefully those of you who said that MHW's combat looks pretty slow saw the dual blades part of that last vid, especially in comparison to hunting horn. If you still don't think that's fast enough then well, dunno what to tell you.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Ibblebibble posted:

By the way, hopefully those of you who said that MHW's combat looks pretty slow saw the dual blades part of that last vid, especially in comparison to hunting horn. If you still don't think that's fast enough then well, dunno what to tell you.

I think the main problem people have isn't the slow weapon swings, it's more the inflated health values of the monsters. It's best to think of the game as a series of boss fights with maybe one or two encounters with regular monsters occasionally, like the mission where you had to kill several Jagras.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicmissingno posted:

I think the main problem people have isn't the slow weapon swings, it's more the inflated health values of the monsters. It's best to think of the game as a series of boss fights with maybe one or two encounters with regular monsters occasionally, like the mission where you had to kill several Jagras.

Bosses are typically interesting to fight, though, not grinding down mountains of HP with a butterknife.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ibblebibble posted:

Random discussion question: What was your worst vomit moment?

As a kid, another one ate too many oranges on the way home and was sitting in the middle when he got sick. He had a choice and he chose me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'd figure that heavy blunt weapons would help with capturing because of all the concussioning, but I guess it's too easy to get carried away with them?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Glazius posted:

I'd figure that heavy blunt weapons would help with capturing because of all the concussioning, but I guess it's too easy to get carried away with them?

Brain damage is just as good at killing as any other damage :v:

In game terms, nope, not really, unless you count stunning the monster and keeping it still to make capturing it easier when it's low enough?

New episode soon, just got to edit the audio. Had a bunch of interview prep to do.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Episode 5: Mucking About

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiAMNU-cD8

A whole new zone to wander about, but this Barroth is in the way. Neither Rathians, technical difficulties nor me being bad at greatsword will stop me from finishing these missions.

Random discussion question: What's your most memorable mud-related incident? Mine probably involved 5-year-old me thinking a piece of dried mud with grass in it was a mint chocolate.

Reminder, name the pig

Concept art: Barroth

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 13, 2018

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Name the pig friend Hammond Egg.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Groupieg. :colbert:

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
Alexander Hamilton

Most memorable mud incident was this time my mom took me hiking. It had been pretty rainy all weekend, and I somehow ended up sinking down to my ankles. I pulled my feet out of my shoes while trying to free myself. Astonishingly, I managed to get my feet back inside and retrieve the shoes without getting any mud on my socks.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
The pig should be named Bacon.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cythereal posted:

Bosses are typically interesting to fight, though, not grinding down mountains of HP with a butterknife.

Using the latest video as an example, it's about 10 minutes from the introduction cutscene of the Barroth until the fight is over. Is that really all it takes for you to dismiss it as tedious? 10 minutes is not a long time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Walrus Pete posted:

Using the latest video as an example, it's about 10 minutes from the introduction cutscene of the Barroth until the fight is over. Is that really all it takes for you to dismiss it as tedious? 10 minutes is not a long time.

Uh... outside a turn-based game, yes that's a long boss fight. Even most MMO bosses go down well inside ten minutes. Granted in this case it would be less if it didn't pointlessly run away forcing you to chase it down before it resumes fighting in exactly the same way which wasn't all that interesting to begin with.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

In a game where there's plenty of other action, maybe. But when the "boss fight" is the only real gameplay (outside of gathering materials and crafting), if it came in much shorter bursts it'd be immensely unsatisfying.

Also in this case it ran to a muddy/watery area, which makes the fight harder as the player's movement is hampered somewhat. So, not entirely pointless (though it often can feel that way when a monster is running from one similar arena to another)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Walrus Pete posted:

In a game where there's plenty of other action, maybe. But when the "boss fight" is the only real gameplay (outside of gathering materials and crafting), if it came in much shorter bursts it'd be immensely unsatisfying.

Also in this case it ran to a muddy/watery area, which makes the fight harder as the player's movement is hampered somewhat. So, not entirely pointless (though it often can feel that way when a monster is running from one similar arena to another)

It's also unsatisfying because the "bosses" are unimpressive so far, not very interesting to fight, and mixed in with lots of grinding (which, yes, is gameplay).

Shadow of the Colossus executed the ostensible idea much better.

I'm still watching the videos because Ibble makes the videos interesting to watch, mind, but it's also been a very effective "this series is not for you" message to me.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Walrus Pete posted:

I feel like the 'running away' phase of MonHun boss fights is an enforced intermission. Like, now you've got a chance to heal up, sharpen your weapons and the like. Also, because you and the monster are moving through multiple regions, there's a reasonably high chance that another critter will see a wounded monster and decide to get in on this fight.

It feels much less like a waste of time than it did in previous ones, where you might not be able to track the monster and would have to actually try and hunt down where it's eating or napping.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I'm still watching the videos because Ibble makes the videos interesting to watch, mind, but it's also been a very effective "this series is not for you" message to me.

Thanks for the compliment :) That's entirely fair. I haven't shown off arena quests yet, where the fight is localised to a small area, but I doubt it'd change your mind about the whole shebang.

I feel like Groupig is the most thematically appropriate name for our little poogie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ibblebibble posted:

Thanks for the compliment :) That's entirely fair. I haven't shown off arena quests yet, where the fight is localised to a small area, but I doubt it'd change your mind about the whole shebang.

If it helps, I think there clearly is plenty to like about the game. The game looks gorgeous, I love that not only can you can play a female character but that no one comments on it as being unusual (odd for a game like this, and doubly so given that it's Japanese), the armor isn't super-skimpy on a female protagonist, the visual designs of the monsters are interesting, and the cat dudes are endearing despite being very blatantly designed to be cute and sell merchandise.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cythereal posted:

the armor isn't super-skimpy on a female protagonist

We just haven't gotten to some of the more fanservicey armours yet :v: There's one set where dudes get a badass golden fur shoulder cape and plate but ladies get a weird chainmail leotard with a buttcape, but it's usually not that bad. I'd say most armour sets are reasonable though.

Other than that I don't think anyone ever really comments on gender in MH. Hell, the Generations and GU intros have the lady with the really big hammer front and center, and not in a fanservice way either. Someone who has played the older games feel free to comment though.

I've also scrounged up some concept art for the game and will be putting them into older posts when I have the time.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cythereal posted:

It's also unsatisfying because the "bosses" are unimpressive so far, not very interesting to fight, and mixed in with lots of grinding (which, yes, is gameplay).

Shadow of the Colossus executed the ostensible idea much better.

Yo're right that these first few monsters don't exactly impress - Barroth was the first time I really felt threatened, even as a newbie to the series, and I didn't get KO'd until a couple more monsters in. Monster quality (with a couple of exceptions that maybe belong earlier in the progression) ramps up from here on out, from what I remember. Typically, the more threatening a monster is, the more fun the game gets (up to a point :v:)

Calling it "lots" of grinding seems odd coming from an MMO player (as a long-time WoW player myself), given my experience with the game. I never felt like I had to do anything I didn't want to do during my time with the game - if you grab plants and such while you're running through a zone toward a monster, you'll most likely end up well-stocked on most of what you need. I never had to go on an expedition just to gather plants or minerals or what have you. It does get grindy when you want to make an entire armor set or more than one weapon out of a monster - but that's not really a good way to spend your time until you've hit the second half of the game, unless (like me) you really like the look of a specific armor set and want to get every piece of it.

I certainly agree that Shadow of the Colossus is essentially untouchable when it comes to being "Boss Fights: the Game" but Monster Hunter isn't trying to be nearly as pure as that.

edit: the number of words I'm typing in defense of this video game is starting to seem weird to me so I'll knock it off but I do encourage anyone who's even a little intrigued by the videos to give it a shot. The combat is hugely varied and lots of fun, and there's a lot of game to sink your teeth into before the serious grind sets in (and it absolutely does, eventually, despite apparently being a huge improvement over previous entries in the series)

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 7, 2018

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think it's weird to write words about one of the most popular forms of entertainment lile ever. At this point I think it's fair to say that the MonHunt guys have a pretty good handle on how long monster fights should take given a few variables, and like it was said previously it is the main gameplay goal so it has to be meaty enough to not have a player think it's too easy or get bored if it takes too long.

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES

turol posted:

The pig should be named Bacon.

Chris P. Bacon as a full name.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Episode 6: Fish n Chips Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtFfqrwII38

We go further into the Wildspire Waste and rescue a scholar from a big fish. I then proceed to embarrass myself horribly by trying to use longsword, which it turns out I way overestimated my skill of.

I've scrounged up some concept art from World and other MH games as well and put it in the older updates too, so go back to look at some cool artwork!

Random discussion point: Favourite fish? To eat, to look at, your choice!

Concept art: Jyuratodus

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I've caught up with the LP and just to note, you can turn off the button prompts in the top-right corner so they're not distracting. I turned them off early on while I was fiddling with options in my game.

I also find it funny that the scholars say Hell while the Field Team Leader says heck, like I get why players wouldn't be allowed say it in the message chat since that's been done in past games but you'd think that the writers would allow at least all NPCs to say Hell if the word was going to be allowed at all.

Something that watchers may have also noticed is that because your hunter has fourteen possible weapons they can use, all cut scenes have them using the Slinger as it's the only tool that nearly all Commission hunters are guaranteed to have equipped. The exception to this is the Huntsman, the guy in the Old World Rathian Blademaster Armor whom the Commander was speaking to in the cut scene, who doesn't use it or scoutflies.

For those who've never played generation four or older MH games and thus don't know what I mean by Old World Blademaster Armor, in past games hunters' armors was segregated between two classes: Blademasters who use melee weapons such as the Great Sword, Long Sword, Sword and Shield, Dual Blades, Hammer, Hunting Horn, Lance, Gunlance, Switch Axe, Charge Blade, and Insect Glaive and Gunners who use the Light Bowgun, Heavy Bowgun, and Bow.

This however changed when the Second Fleet developed armor that merged these two classes as their first job after arriving in Astera which hence why we can swap weapon types while still able to use any armor we have in our equipment box. And while some balked at the idea of removing the weapon class barrier, no one objected outright and the Second Fleet Master (this game's smithy) wants to both shake some sense into the Huntsman and clap him on the back for clinging to his old armor.

By the way, the elvish members of the Commission are known as Wyverians and were the first Hunter and even stated to have created the Hunter's Guild though most have since transitioned into a supporting role while Wyverian hunters like our friend the Seeker are considered a rarity nowadays.

Water element monsters in the main series besides Jyuratodus include the Cephadrome, Plesioth and its subspecies, Daimyo Hermitaur and its subspecies, Shogun Ceanataur and its subspecies, Gobul and its subspecies, Royal Ludroth, Glacial Agnaktor, Ceadeus and its subspecies, Amatsu, Kecha Wacha, Seltas Queen, Zamtrios and its subspecies, Tidal Najarala, and Mizutsune and its subspecies. Frontier gives us Pariapuria, Gurenzeburu, Pokaradon, Baruragaru and Gureadomosu and Monster Hunter Online gives us Merphistophelin.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 15, 2018

• Locked thread