Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Vakal posted:

Currently eyeing this up on the summer sale.

Just curious though, was looking at playing on a private server with just a friend and was wondering if it is possible for just two people to realistically build a big castle/ town like in the trailers, or is that something that requires a lot of people working together to do?

I just spent all day doing exactly this with a friend and we have lots of plans for further expansion of our castle. Game owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Siets posted:

I just spent all day doing exactly this with a friend and we have lots of plans for further expansion of our castle. Game owns.

Plus when you make your game session, you can set the rates of gathering and XP.
Pretty easy to do stuff when you get 10 wooden logs per punch.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SERPUS posted:

Choose the longest sized dick and when you squat, the head of the dick with touch the sand.
Can you put two planks out over the river and use it to fish?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Poil posted:

poo poo, if only.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Poil posted:

I feel like just eating your own dick would be a more efficient method of both getting your dick eaten and getting food, without involving fish as a middle-man.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
this is a really good game. There's an overarching meta plot that you have to work pretty hard to discover and it's th e only game like this that to my knowledge lets you populate the cities you've built. The map is huge and dense with all kinds of hidden secrets--there's an early game dungeon where you have to drag an NPC to just the right spot then kill him that I completely missed for months and that dungeon has cool puzzles and poo poo. Wide variety of enemies and plenty of post level 60 poo poo to do if you want to hit up the volcano.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Folks that have been following/playing this for a while - what do you estimate the chances that a decent/decently fun magic system actually gets added at some point down the line? Getting sorely tempted to pick this up, but what I really want is a freeform sandbox Wizard Simulator, and Conan's is not exactly the kind of setting I think of when I think "high magic."

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 25, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They stated they would be adding magic but at this point I would consider the game finished and doubt any major changes are coming the line.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Worth noting as well that if you are looking for a solid single player and/or coop experience that this game can fill that need rather well. Even though it’s a sandbox game at heart, the single player/coop modes have an actual goal which is to “escape the exile lands.” Combine that with all of the hidden dungeons and NPC camps and towns that all have lore woven throughout and you get a much more genuinely progressive action RPG experience with an immersive narrative end goal. While Ark also has an “escape the Ark” endgame mechanic, it really is more of a pure sandbox with dinosaurs and little else. Conan does a lot to differentiate itself from the standard survival game fare and for me it succeeds in that area.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

They stated they would be adding magic but at this point I would consider the game finished and doubt any major changes are coming the line.

This has truth to it, but they did recently release a roadmap update that talked about new features they plan on adding. I can't remember if they said anything about magic but they did talk about animal taming and pets, including a new religion and a pet-based dungeon.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Babe Magnet posted:

This has truth to it, but they did recently release a roadmap update that talked about new features they plan on adding. I can't remember if they said anything about magic but they did talk about animal taming and pets, including a new religion and a pet-based dungeon.

This is from 2017:

quote:

Our sorcery system taps into the corruption debuffs that affect your character when they descend into the dark and corrupted places of the Exiled Lands. The more corrupted you are the more powerful your spells can become, but it also comes at a cost. To gain power you are forced to cut into your health and stamina, making your body weaker. The sorcery system will, in turn, give you access to necromancy and summoning rituals, letting you call upon evil, twisted creatures to do your bidding for you.

Thralls will see an expansion through the settlement system that adds city life, thrall schedules, barracks, farming and trading. More thrall types will expand what you can do in the Exiled Lands as well as add more life to your cities and downs. Thralls will animate and move around, needing rest when night falls, forcing you to keep abreast on who does what and when. We’re also going to be adding a system for rescuing already captured thralls, getting them to come and work for you without needing to break them on the Wheel of Pain.

An expanded thrall system and magic are the things I was looking forward to. I played the game for 2-3 months when it came out and currently there's not much for me to come back for.

The city building is pretty great, but I really hoped that one could put thralls to work Rimworld-style.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Vakal posted:

Just curious though, was looking at playing on a private server with just a friend and was wondering if it is possible for just two people to realistically build a big castle/ town like in the trailers, or is that something that requires a lot of people working together to do?

Yeah, its totally doable for a small group of people. Since its a private server you can even tweak how much you gather and how fast crafting takes, if you feel like making materials for building is taking too long. And since you're on a private server you don't have to worry about other people and can build things for aesthetics instead of worrying about securing against hostile players wrecking poo poo.

I built this modest little tower in the space of an evening. Though I did increase the gathering rates (x3 materials gathered, though I set it gathering points to take about three times as long to respawn as a weird balancer). Its in a solo game, so I can build it as I want. It wouldn't be very practical in a PvP server for a variety of reasons.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hmm... and can someone give me a sense of the progression/RPG levelling stuff? I'm just looking for like "yeah it's satisfying" or "just a bunch of +2 Jumping and +1 Damage feats" or whatever.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Leveling your stats up does do "You get a little faster, some more health/stamina, hit a little harder" and then there's milestones that do all sorts of junk, like the last one for the encumbrance stat makes it so that you can never get slowed down by overencumbrance, one of the first ones in your survival kinda stat makes it so that eating raw and unclean meat won't make you sick, those sorts of things.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Are any of them considered must haves?

Also is there a quicker way to knock the thralls unconscious? Just smashing a dude over and over with the club is weird. I feel I’m doing it an extra hard way.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nash posted:

Are any of them considered must haves?

Also is there a quicker way to knock the thralls unconscious? Just smashing a dude over and over with the club is weird. I feel I’m doing it an extra hard way.

I wanna say the first strength milestone doubles the concussive damage you do or whatever it's called, which makes KO'ing people significantly easier.

Also one must-have at least imo is in I think the stamina line, it's the first or second one and it makes climbing take a whole lot less stamina, allowing you to cliffhanger your rear end around much better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's hard to tell as you are placing the points, but on top of the perks the basic stats make a big difference. Pumping strength really improves your melee damage. Pumping health about two tiers is something close to doubling your health pool I think. Don't only look at the perks. Whatever the stat says it increases is a noticeable difference.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Are there any current goon servers? I've seen some steam friends playing it recently and that activity reminded me the game exists. I've glanced at PGS but the two I spotted seemed to be dead.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Do thralls actually make items and collect resources for you, or do they just go through the animations?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Thralls don't do anything but disappear when following you, guard a single spot or sit at a crafting station and confer a bonus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so how is this game so far. it looks cool but are their like human NPC factions/towns you can gently caress up. also which should i get pc or ps4.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so how is this game so far. it looks cool but are their like human NPC factions/towns you can gently caress up. also which should i get pc or ps4.

There are, there's smaller camps and sorta villages then a big town or two around. Also PC by far, this is a game that gets a lot of neat and helpful mods.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Thralls don't do anything but disappear when following you, guard a single spot or sit at a crafting station and confer a bonus.

That's lame. I suppose you can't order them to kill one another in a pit for your amusement either.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yardbomb posted:

There are, there's smaller camps and sorta villages then a big town or two around. Also PC by far, this is a game that gets a lot of neat and helpful mods.

ok. should i get the DLC?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok. should i get the DLC?

Not unless you really want some Conan-china buildings and outfits and stuff.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Vakal posted:

That's lame. I suppose you can't order them to kill one another in a pit for your amusement either.

Not even a little bit.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

Not even a little bit.

Conan the Civilized.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This game was awesome right around release, but holy crap it died quick. Also, the limited raid windows are lame and basically no servers at all have full PvP and raid times.

There are more servers than players.

I had a lot of hopes for this game but the early access being 3 years and so many bugs/exploits/hackers kind of killed the playerbase.

edit: Also the gods system looks cool but is actually super loving annoying in reality. Way too easy to get, and the snake one is still overpowered as hell. Kind of ruins the game for anyone who gets big enough when a clan of 5-6 poopsockers just farms up a ton of priests and snake gods anyone's base they can find. It just makes small and midsized clans that get raided quit the game because they lose literally everything.

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 1, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Teikanmi posted:

This game was awesome right around release, but holy crap it died quick. Also, the limited raid windows are lame and basically no servers at all have full PvP and raid times.

There are more servers than players.

I had a lot of hopes for this game but the early access being 3 years and so many bugs/exploits/hackers kind of killed the playerbase.

survival games pvp always ends up being trash because if you can't devote a full time job's worth of time into it, you'll end up losing all your poo poo when you're offline and not having fun

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I mean, the server I played on basically had full time PvP and raiding with no gods and the solution to it not getting all your poo poo taken was "build a better defense/base and don't be a retard". It separated the smart from the dumb and there were 3-4 "big" clans that had fortresses on top of spires that were unraidable and then just a ton of casual 15 year-old weekenders who they big clans preyed upon until they quit. Then, once it was only the big clans left, there wasn't anything else to do in the game and everyone remaining quit them game too.

Still, despite the foreknowledge of building principles, lots of people cried and claimed they were being hacked or admin power exploited when in reality they just left huge holes in their defenses and bad base builds. Thus, even more people quit. Funcom just loving sucks at making stable games.

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 1, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

"Giant group steamrolls everyone else and controls the server" is why survival game PvP is literally never worth bothering with, hence why I didn't and have enjoyed the game much more for it.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Yeah, it might just be personal taste to some degree but this game really feels like it is way better suited for coop/playing as a group in a PvE setting. The fact that there is a bunch of stuff to explore and find and all that means you got actual goals in this game other than just trying to be the biggest dick waver on the server. Hell, with stuff like elevators and such you can even set up some decent infrastructure that benefits everyone playing on it.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone is looking for a legit official PVP server to play on, a small group of RL friends and I have been playing on PVP-1540 for over a week now. There are roughly 3 alpha’ish tribes and they are all friendly to letting server newcomers build up and get established (“so long as they aren’t dicks” apparently.) Our group has gotten into tier 2 structures and we haven’t been raided once. I’ve also done a bunch of resource farming and trading with one of the alphas to secure us some named thralls. The alphas even built a full-on gladiatorial arena in the northern tundra where they hold weekly 500-steel buy-in dueling tournaments. Overall a pretty fun place thus far that I recommend if you are looking for a PVP server.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

This is in the Humble Monthly starting today. So this could be the cheapest the game has been.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

This garbage dump of a game will get cheaper.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
I picked this up on XBOX a couple weeks ago. Playing on a PVE-Conflict server (no building destruction by players, but windows of time when you can PVP in the world).

I am loving the base building, combat, breaking thralls and hunting the tier 4 named thralls (best bonuses / strongest to defend against the purges).

Right now it’s the most fun I’ve had with a game in years. 10/10

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Is combat difficult or do I just suck? I’m level 30 with 2 ranks in strength and vitality if I’m remembering right. I have the highest damage spear I can make for my level, maybe 23 damage? My usually fight is pull off a 4 hit combo then dodge. Lather rinse repeat.

Anything around the noob river is easy, but tier 4 thralls, gorillas in the swamp, and skeletons in caves just murder me. When they hit they just take big chunks of damage off.

Help me not suck at combat.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The combat is what sucks friend, not you.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Nash posted:

Is combat difficult or do I just suck? I’m level 30 with 2 ranks in strength and vitality if I’m remembering right. I have the highest damage spear I can make for my level, maybe 23 damage? My usually fight is pull off a 4 hit combo then dodge. Lather rinse repeat.

Anything around the noob river is easy, but tier 4 thralls, gorillas in the swamp, and skeletons in caves just murder me. When they hit they just take big chunks of damage off.

Help me not suck at combat.

You just listed off the harder enemies in the lower regions. Also, you want blunt weapons for skeletons; spears are pretty bad against them, unless you're vastly outleveled.

What kind of armor are you wearing? Light armor isn't much protection, but it lets you dodge much faster and further. If you're not confident in your dodge, go with medium or heavy armor. Check the defensive values, too, and make sure you're making the best equipment you can at your level.

The last two hits on the spear's strong combo inflict stackable bleed, which should help you keep up the damage even when you need to back off. Light - light - heavy - heavy is a decent combo to keep up. For skeletons, maces and warhammers have strong attacks that lower the target's armor, so that should help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

you can also sheathe your weapon mid-swing without using any stamina to move faster. so you swing swing and instead of waiting for the recovery just put your weapon away and leave

• Locked thread