Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8KKqQc-6hU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

page 2 shout out to the most for real muthafucka to ever wear a uniform, Giap.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The interesting part to me is after. How did Vietnam go from throwing out the Yanks to AFAIK another neoliberal paradise? Was it all just to get rid of the French, because I can buy that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Soviet Union was their chief Ally. China invaded them shortly after the US left and they're way more hostile to China than anyone else now.

After the Soviet Union collapsed their economy went to poo poo and Clinton started normalizing relations in the 90s and now iirc we do military exercises with them in the South China Sea which is pretty loving funny tbh

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

vietnam had been built to fight for almost thirty years at that point, to pretty much the exclusion of all else as they were staring down the barrel of annihilation as a people who might be the masters of their own fate. that poo poo leaves you poor and broken... then the foreign cash starts to flow in like some all consuming leviathan and your shattered economy can't resist it. disaster capitalism and all that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
the vietcong defecated on punji spikes as an added septic effect for when soldiers fell in and got impaled.

A literal weaponized poo poo post.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

EorayMel posted:

the vietcong defecated on punji spikes as an added septic effect for when soldiers fell in and got impaled.

A literal weaponized poo poo post.

dont sign your posts

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saalkin posted:

Play Rising Storm 2 and get PTSD

cool guns for cool dudes :
- pistol grip M37 (you do have to say "I like to keep this for close encounters" everytime you respawn though)
- M79
- M60
- underfolder AK, always with the stock folded, gently caress aiming
- MN91/30 "garbage rod", but only as a spear that can occasionally shoot
- shorty hunting shotgun
- thompson

lame guns for ugly idiots who smell and die from punji sticks:
- BAR
- SKS
- M14
- duckbill M37
- that garbage revolver
- any sniper rifle

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkhnr6H4QZg

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

basic hitler posted:

The Soviet Union was their chief Ally. China invaded them shortly after the US left and they're way more hostile to China than anyone else now.

After the Soviet Union collapsed their economy went to poo poo and Clinton started normalizing relations in the 90s and now iirc we do military exercises with them in the South China Sea which is pretty loving funny tbh

This is like where you team up with the villain from the previous season to fight the next one.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Szyznyk posted:

Thank you for Battlefield: Vietnam, the best FPS game ever. And thank the Vietnamese people for transitioning from a people's democracy into just another third-world plantation state making sneakers for rich fat capitalists.

Bf Vietnam owned. M60 and grenade launcher combo 4 lyfe

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Cephalectomy posted:

Bf Vietnam owned. M60 and grenade launcher combo 4 lyfe

I loved that the grenade launcher had the same tiger stripe paint job as The Roach from Apocalypse Now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Is the ken burns thing on prime, Netflix, etc?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Hannoi hannah was the real hero, giving GIs a look at and chance to slip the yoke of their imperialist johnson masters~

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Julius CSAR posted:

I loved that the grenade launcher had the same tiger stripe paint job as The Roach from Apocalypse Now.

Didn't the guy that got shot end up being some serial rapist piece of poo poo.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Kuato posted:

It's on Netflix US. So is the Vietnam episode of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown, both are excellent.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Kak posted:

Didn't the guy that got shot end up being some serial rapist piece of poo poo.

I dunno about the rapist part, but shortly before the execution he had been caught at a fresh mass grave of about 35 people and had proudly admitted to carrying out the mass execution. So yeah, a real piece of trash.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Julius CSAR posted:

I dunno about the rapist part, but shortly before the execution he had been caught at a fresh mass grave of about 35 people and had proudly admitted to carrying out the mass execution. So yeah, a real piece of trash.

Well in that case I'm glad he's dead

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kuato posted:

Yeah it is good. His civil war doc is on there too and it is also good

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

basic hitler posted:

The north Vietnamese were huffing their own farts and imagined the general population would rise up and join them.

This obviously didn't happen. Most civilians do not want to participate in a war ever.

This kinda hosed with their plans. Had they just planned with what they had available instead of very dumbly assuming south Vietnamese farmers were remotely interested in fighting Americans they might've pulled off doing a lot more lol

But yeah, the Americans "won" but the attack on the American embassy where live cameras happened to be probably completelysapped the public's will to keep liberating vietnam

lol what the gently caress is this

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
liberation

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hell yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv_T4Zw3-8s

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Julius CSAR posted:

eh, the mass grave was full of fascists, capitalists, collaborators and their families, it's debatable whether or not he was a piece of trash

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

The interesting part to me is after. How did Vietnam go from throwing out the Yanks to AFAIK another neoliberal paradise? Was it all just to get rid of the French, because I can buy that.

stalinism was mostly just the option that let them get foreign aid from someone who didn't have immediate plans to enslave the entire population

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's funny is I bet the US coulda hella made them allies since we trained them leading up to their revolt against Japan and they were super friendly with the US (hence quoting the Declaration of Independence at France) but we decided we would instead do our best impression of a Fallout robot and exterminate all Commies.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

actually, they settled for the hmong. rat bitches and sellouts, the lot of them.

could have been friends with noble and pure ho chi minh, but went with the crew that loves to snitch.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

what about ARVN

wheres the love for them in this thread

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
shoutout to all my dead soldiers bringing back dat raw poo poo for me and my crew of junkies, see u in the sky nibbas ~~~~ bless ~~~~~ *kisses fingers and holds them aloft*

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

show our respects to the fallen men of NWA

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

F

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

might go to vietnam this year

heard they got amazing beaches

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
The real heroes were those assholes at Woodstock who went on to screw over future generations and the environment.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Julius CSAR posted:

[video type="youtu"]vabnZ9-ex7o[/video]

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That Robot posted:

[video type="youtu"]vabnZ9-ex7o[/video]

quality post lmao

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

WatermelonGun posted:

lol what the gently caress is this

the ken burns "documentary" that everyone is gushing over, apparently

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

redgubbinz posted:

It's on Netflix US. So is the Vietnam episode of Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown, both are excellent.
There are actually 2 Vietnam episodes of Parts Unknown. One in Hanoi and one in Hue. Both are good.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

not a cult posted:

the ken burns "documentary" that everyone is gushing over, apparently
The documentary is great, but I literally have no clue how anyone could end up with that interpretation of events after watching it.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 2, 2018

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I will do it. Ill thank them

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

COMRADES posted:

Well, to start with, the Tet Offensive had less to do with cameras at the US embassy and a general "oh gently caress how do they still have this many people willing to fight? we need to start mobilizing reserves..." moment of clarity in the US command structure. The general in command of the theater requested another 200,000 soldiers for a counteroffensive and then even the warhawks started going "you know what gently caress this actually."

well it also proved that their entire strategy was flawed and poo poo. the idea at that point had been "just kill every commie that comes down the Ho chi min trail and maybe hold villages sometimes" and later it was " go into another country and kill the same commies maybe, gently caress it, idk" like we commited to much yet at the same time to little. we should have never been there.

Moridin920 posted:

What's funny is I bet the US coulda hella made them allies since we trained them leading up to their revolt against Japan and they were super friendly with the US (hence quoting the Declaration of Independence at France) but we decided we would instead do our best impression of a Fallout robot and exterminate all Commies.

this. we sided with the french instead of just remaining neutral and then when the french got hosed to death, make relations with the new government. this was because nixon was basically the foreign policy dickfuck when he was VP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Thanks guys!

Also this strategist guy sounds cool, can anyone recommend a good book about him? Or about VC ingenuity/asymmetry in general?

• Locked thread