Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DiggityDoink posted:

the weezer version sucks

Weezer sucks.

Every Weezer member sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

"I hear the drums echoing tonight"

its kinda rude to play drums at night, some people have to bless some rains early at the morning

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The titular line is actually “I guess the rain’s down in Africa”, implying that the metaphorical “rain” in the singer’s relationship has passed.

It’s a song about a guy who’s getting back together with his estranged ex-girlfriend, OP. :eng101:

Like seriously I do not understand why everyone doesn’t already automatically know this, what are you people stupid or some poo poo? God.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i dont quote my posts

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

He wants to bang a black chick, it's pretty straightforward OP

:yeah:

seriously its an easy one

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The titular line is actually “I guess the rain’s down in Africa”, implying that the metaphorical “rain” in the singer’s relationship has passed.

It’s a song about a guy who’s getting back together with his estranged ex-girlfriend, OP. :eng101:

Also the chorus has some fuckin’ sweet harmonies, that’s why people like it so much.

it's "i guess Lorraine's down in africa" op

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
now Toto should cover Pink Triangle

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's actually "I mess my brains down in Atlanta".

About a guy on an rear end-safari in Atlanta, and he messes up his brains on coke, but it's a metaphor and he's not actually doing coke, he's doing Coke.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
It's about a dude who wants to get his big ol' dong wet.

Snowy posted:

This video is the only thing about Toto’s Africa that’s worth giving a poo poo about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwNGR792Ifk

Close, but it's actually this one

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

He wants to bang a black chick, it's pretty straightforward OP

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
I once worked a 4 hour shift for two years. Only one radio station could penetrate the steel building, a classic rock station.

Every day I heard Toto's Africa. EVERY. loving. DAY.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.

WonderfulWino posted:

I once worked a 4 hour shift for two years. Only one radio station could penetrate the steel building, a classic rock station.

Every day I heard Toto's Africa. EVERY. loving. DAY.

That sounds wonderful. What a blessing.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
its one of the best pop songs ever written

if the only things i heard ever nagain were africa, gold by spandau ballet and total eclipse of the heart i would consider myself blessed

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Like seriously I do not understand why everyone doesn’t already automatically know this, what are you people stupid or some poo poo? God.

The rest of the song is nonsensical so why should anyone seriously analyze that line?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Gonna take some time to do the things we never had

This line bothers me the most though, there is something off about it.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

elmer chud posted:

This line bothers me the most though, there is something off about it.

a thing typically is either done or had, not both

theres at least one notable linguistic exception tho and its what the songs about

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

its one of the best pop songs ever written

if the only things i heard ever nagain were africa, gold by spandau ballet and total eclipse of the heart i would consider myself blessed

How about some Betty Davis Eyes

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

a thing typically is either done or had, not both

theres at least one notable linguistic exception tho and its what the songs about

it's cocaine isn't it

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
He talking bout that Nubian pussy op.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think he's talking about searching the world to find himself and realizing that the answer was his girlfriend back home the whole time.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I agree OP. The lyrics need to be edited for clarity and simplicity, like these:

I don’t want to see a ghost

It’s the sight that I fear most

I’d rather have a piece of toast

Watch the evening news.

That's definitely better.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

goethe.cx posted:

colonialist horseshit

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It's about a lonely missionary excited about his girlfriend's visit and the opportunity to gently caress in the classic missionary position

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Why hasn't any African nation adopted the song as their national anthem? Is it a copyright thing or what?

Get on it africa

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I hate this loving song but I feel like I'm hopelessly outnumbered :(

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus over the Serengeti" has always struck me as deep poo poo.

That mountain really rises like a...mountain.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

When I first heard this song on the radio as a kid I heard the line as “there’s nothing that a hundred men on Mars could ever do”. At that exact moment I was contemplating this song about a Martian invasion, the DJ from the local station must have not realized his mic was on because I heard him briefly crack up after that line. This really cemented in my mind that the song had something to do with Martians trying to take over the earth and the band Toto was going to somehow thwart them by disrupting African weather patterns, and the DJ must have thought it was as absurd as I did.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Universe Master posted:

That mountain really rises like a...mountain.

The mountains represent breasts and the Serengeti is the public mound.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ralph Hurley posted:

When I first heard this song on the radio as a kid I heard the line as “there’s nothing that a hundred men on Mars could ever do”. At that exact moment I was contemplating this song about a Martian invasion, the DJ from the local station must have not realized his mic was on because I heard him briefly crack up after that line. This really cemented in my mind that the song had something to do with Martians trying to take over the earth and the band Toto was going to somehow thwart them by disrupting African weather patterns, and the DJ must have thought it was as absurd as I did.

Kinda want to see/hear Toto's War of the World's now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gscl5WCQ3k0

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
no, see, because Africa is so far away, and it's like... weird. not weird weird but like weird. so it's like a metaphor, for, y'know, whatever

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m counting trains down in Africa

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

elmer chud posted:

The mountains represent breasts and the Serengeti is the public mound.

Listen, your mom calls it that, but the rest of us call it a pubic mound.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hold the Line was the better Toto song anyway

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Name a Toto song other than Hold the Line, Rosanna, or Africa without looking it up.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

real answer is that the guy is a missionary in africa and the locals keep asking him to bless things like rivers and rainstorms and he's too much of a little bitch to tell them that holy water doesn't work like that but hey his girlfriend from back home is finally visiting him and hes really looking forward to it but also hes brooding to himself about how being in africa has changed him and maybe she wont love him anymore and the locals are just like shut up go get your dick wet idiot

source: i read an interview with the guy from toto a while ago i forget his name

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gridlocked posted:

Hold the Line was the better Toto song anyway

:hmmyes:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

ultrafilter posted:

Name a Toto song other than Hold the Line, Rosanna, or Africa without looking it up.
*looking around thread frantically* of course, uhhh, why, who could forget my favorite Toto songggggg
"Weezer"!

gently caress

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Medieval Medic posted:

He talking bout that Nubian pussy op.

Ah yes! Nubian! We have lots of that.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It's that god drat Jeff pocaro weird shuffle he plays in all their hit songs and made people say he's a drum machine. It rulez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

every time it's up on karaoke night I cannot help but fix it to "I bless the rain over Africa"

so much easier to say

• Locked thread