Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
If you're an artist looking to make a truly cursed image, you could use the color Mummy brown, which was made from ground up Egyptian mummies. The true source of the pigment appears to have been forgotten among artists until someone told them again in the 19th century that yeah, it's literally powdered corpses.
"The Pre-Raphaelite artist Edward Burne-Jones was reported to have ceremonially buried his tube of mummy brown in his garden when he discovered its true origins."

These days it's made from other stuff, but one wonders whose bright idea it was to paint with mummy powder in the first place. But we have to remember that back in the old times, people thought mummies spread health and good fortune, and not that they were, as we now know, strong cursing agents.

Kak posted:

Why do horror movies assume mummies would be bad and try to kill people if they woke up? Maybe they would chill and smoke weed

That's literally what the mummy is in the movie "The Mummy" with Boris Karloff (the mummy). He is accidentally woken up and then just walks away. Next time we see him, he's just a guy in a hat hanging out in Egypt because he's trying to find his old mummy girlfriend, so they can, like, hang out or something. Then a bunch of egyptologists figure out he's actually a mummy and decide to kill him instead of making friends with him and asking what it was like in ancient Egypt.

Mooey Cow fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Mooey Cow posted:

That's literally what the mummy is in the movie "The Mummy" with Boris Karloff (the mummy). He is accidentally woken up and then just walks away. Next time we see him, he's just a guy in a hat hanging out in Egypt because he's trying to find his old mummy girlfriend, so they can, like, hang out or something. Then a bunch of egyptologists figure out he's actually a mummy and decide to kill him instead of making friends with him and asking what it was like in ancient Egypt.

He would have made all their guesswork irrelevant and put them out of jobs so he had to go.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Forums poster Hell Yeah's final form

Glad people are enjoying the thread! I'll post about some classic Egyptian mummies later after I've woken up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why are they always wrapped in bandages in fiction

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
The Mummy 5 is on Netflix and while I didn't make it all the way to the end(fell asleep!) I quite enjoyed what I did see of it. Maybe if they had made it shorter I would have made it through the entirety! These are my musings on a Sunday morning.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord

extra row of teeth posted:

EDIT^^ Rosalia’s insanely good preservation was a secret until recently, when notes were found by the embalmer’s family. The ingredients were formalin, zinc salts, alcohol, salicylic acid, and glycerin. Also no, Rosalia is already showing signs of deterioration such as a blackening nose (probably from the public/scientists loving with the body).

The Bhuddist mummies are loving nightmare fuel. Imagine putting yourself through that, slowly starving in a tiny chamber while being forced to hold the same position until you die that way. Ugh.

I saw this in person and the whole catacombs shes in are really surreal, many of the monks interred there have multiple pencil signatures on their faces from tourists

I clearly remember the guide going off on how rosalia's embalmer was a mad scientist who just used her to show off his skills the secrets of which he took to the grave as you say

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

How well do modern embalming practices contribute to the mummy population?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You know who else is a mummy? Lenin. And Mao. Modern mummies are spookier that ancient mummies, imo.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
whats really crazy is how ancient egyptians had the technology to keep people alive for thousands of years which is something even modern science cant do

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Uncle Ho wanted to be cremated and have his ashes spread across a united Vietnam.

So they stuffed him and shoved him in a big ostentatious display case.

He looks mildly annoyed..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Here's the Tarim mummies, they were p. popular for awhile.

quote:

At the beginning of the 20th century, European explorers such as Sven Hedin, Albert von Le Coq and Sir Aurel Stein all recounted their discoveries of desiccated bodies in their search for antiquities in Central Asia.[5] Since then, numerous other mummies have been found and analysed, many of them now displayed in the museums of Xinjiang. Most of these mummies were found on the eastern end of the Tarim Basin (around the area of Lopnur, Subeshi near Turpan, Kroran, Kumul), or along the southern edge of the Tarim Basin (Khotan, Niya, and Cherchen or Qiemo).

The earliest Tarim mummies, found at Qäwrighul and dated to 1800 BCE, are of a Caucasian physical type whose closest affiliation is to the Bronze Age populations of southern Siberia, Kazakhstan, Central Asia, and the Lower Volga.[1]

The cemetery at Yanbulaq contained 29 mummies which date from 1100–500 BCE, 21 of which are Mongoloid—the earliest Mongoloid mummies found in the Tarim Basin—and eight of which are of the same Caucasian physical type found at Qäwrighul.[1]

Notable mummies are the tall, red-haired "Chärchän man" or the "Ur-David" (1000 BCE); his son (1000 BCE), a small 1-year-old baby with brown hair protruding from under a red and blue felt cap, with two stones positioned over its eyes; the "Hami Mummy" (c. 1400–800 BCE), a "red-headed beauty" found in Qizilchoqa; and the "Witches of Subeshi" (4th or 3rd century BCE), who wore 2-foot-long (0.61 m) black felt conical hats with a flat brim.[6] Also found at Subeshi was a man with traces of a surgical operation on his abdomen; the incision is sewn up with sutures made of horsehair.[7]

Here's another article about them that goes into DNA stuff.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

extra row of teeth posted:

Highest Concentration of "Nope" in the World: Mexican Cholera Outbreak Mummies

A Cholera outbreak in the 1800s + natural preservation conditions = a collection of mummies with faces contorted as they died in agony. And now they are on display so you too can go into a museum with 52 totally-not-cursed mummies on full display next to each other, surrounding you as they eternally scream silently from beyond the grave. Sleep tight!

Their mouths are open because, when you die, the muscles holding your jaw shut relax. With the hot climate, it dries out that way. I'm sure they were in agony, but they aren't screaming.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jumping in about the Franklin Expedition Mummies.

The Franklin Expedition to find the Northwest Passage went missing in 1845. In 1850, search parties sent out found three graves on Beechy Island, containing John Hartnell, William Braine, and John Torrington, crew members that died early on, before the disappearance and eventual cannibalism and agonizing deaths of everyone. Back then, the search parties were just like 'huh, these guys died pretty early on' then shrugged and went on their way.

The graves were rediscovered in the 70s and dug up/transferred. Then an anthropologist named Owen Beattie was like 'yo, let's check these guys out'.

John Hartnell

William Braine

John Torrington

Torrington's body is considered to be the best preserved mummy since the discovery of the Tollund Man, and actually got pretty popular for a bit.

quote:

Photographs of Torrington, in a remarkable state of outward preservation, were published widely, including in People magazine which named him one of the world's most interesting personalities in 1984

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

LadyPictureShow posted:

hosed up too that the local inuit knew where they were the whole time but the europeans wouldnt believe them:

quote:

Those looking for the true story, however, have almost always had access to one primary source: Inuit oral histories, more specifically the accounts of the Netsilik Inuit. As early as 1854, just six years after the expedition was declared lost, a Hudson’s Bay fur trader named John Rae talked to Inuk men he met about the fate of the Expedition.

The Inuit told Rae stories of meeting starving men, and gave him relics of the Franklin Expedition to back up their story. But when Rae brought tales of cannibalism and suffering back to England, he was subject to “a smear campaign initiated by Lady Jane Franklin, the explorer’s scandalized widow, supported by racist writings from the likes of Charles Dickens,” writes Rae biographer Ken McGoogan. In British lore, Franklin and his crew became martyrs to science, good Christian men who suffered a cruel fate at the hands of Mother Nature. Later historians framed Franklin as a hubristic imperialist, and more recently the Canadian government has used Franklin as an argument for Arctic sovereignty.

Inuit stories were marginalized time and time again, until the ships were found in 2014 and 2016 by a coalition that included archaeologists and local historian Louie Kamookak, an expert in Netsilik oral history of the expedition. The sunken wrecks were located deep in the Canadian Arctic, near the Inuit community of Gjoa Haven.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/heres-how-amc-producers-worked-inuit-fictionalized-franklin-expedition-show-180968643/

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Luvcow posted:

hosed up too that the local inuit knew where they were the whole time but the europeans wouldnt believe them:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/heres-how-amc-producers-worked-inuit-fictionalized-franklin-expedition-show-180968643/

There were discussions on that in The Terror thread in TVIV (if you're not familiar, it's an AMC show, first season was on the Franklin expedition).

John Rae was one of the few that didn't blow the Inuit off about their info. Part of it I guess was well who would listen to these 'savages', and a dose of 'pssssh, the men of the British Navy would die with dignity, not start eating each other out of desperation!'

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

LadyPictureShow posted:

There were discussions on that in The Terror thread in TVIV (if you're not familiar, it's an AMC show, first season was on the Franklin expedition).

John Rae was one of the few that didn't blow the Inuit off about their info. Part of it I guess was well who would listen to these 'savages', and a dose of 'pssssh, the men of the British Navy would die with dignity, not start eating each other out of desperation!'

i've heard of the show and want to see it but haven't got a chance to watch it yet, too much good tv right now and not enough time to catch it all so thank you for reminding me it exists.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i dislike the idea of taking up space after i die. hopefully by the time im dead there will be corpse piles or mass graves they can just toss me in to

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Khazar-khum posted:

Their mouths are open because, when you die, the muscles holding your jaw shut relax. With the hot climate, it dries out that way. I'm sure they were in agony, but they aren't screaming.

Yeah the two that were buried alive arent even the knarliest looking ones in the museum. Really the only way you could tell was the marks inside the casket and they had pulled their own fingernails out trying to claw through wood.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

LadyPictureShow posted:

John Hartnell
[spoiler]

Nutted but she still suckin

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Lol these spoilers gave me a laugh

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I've always thought it would be pretty trippy if, some time in the far future, we develop technology to repair our bodies that is so advanced that they could actually use the preserved bodies of mummies to bring them back to life.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

spacetoaster posted:

I've always thought it would be pretty trippy if, some time in the far future, we develop technology to repair our bodies that is so advanced that they could actually use the preserved bodies of mummies to bring them back to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c__dFYbErxg

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

drat that's rad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Joseance posted:

why are they always wrapped in bandages in fiction

can anyone answer this tia

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The screaming mummy:

Most likely prince Pentawere who had to kill himself after he participated in the assassination of his father Pharaoh Ramesses III. The reason the mummy is "screaming" is because it was intentionally sloppily mummified, it was just left out to dry before they poured resin down his mouth and as a result the face strained into a "scream". To top it off he was wrapped in sheepskin which was considered ritually impure in ancient Egypt.

Joseance posted:

Because the ancient egyptian mummies were wrapped in bandages.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Colonel Cancer posted:

drat that's rad.

That show loving rocked and it's a sin it wasn't more popular

CYBORG MUMMIES MAN

CYBORG MUMMIES

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mooey Cow posted:

If you're an artist looking to make a truly cursed image, you could use the color Mummy brown, which was made from ground up Egyptian mummies. The true source of the pigment appears to have been forgotten among artists until someone told them again in the 19th century that yeah, it's literally powdered corpses.
"The Pre-Raphaelite artist Edward Burne-Jones was reported to have ceremonially buried his tube of mummy brown in his garden when he discovered its true origins."

These days it's made from other stuff, but one wonders whose bright idea it was to paint with mummy powder in the first place. But we have to remember that back in the old times, people thought mummies spread health and good fortune, and not that they were, as we now know, strong cursing agents.

Was that color actually called 'mummy brown' back then, or is it just the term used nowadays to refer to the paint that had ground up mummies in it?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

LadyPictureShow posted:

William Braine
More like William Braaaaaaines.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Joseance posted:

Idk how I’d do my Halloween costume without it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tardwrangler posted:

Uncle Ho wanted to be cremated and have his ashes spread across a united Vietnam.

So they stuffed him and shoved him in a big ostentatious display case.

He looks mildly annoyed..

that sucks. why didn't they honor his wishes after they won. they could have made a giant circus of it and travel around dumping his ashes in all over the place.

Paladinus posted:

You know who else is a mummy? Lenin. And Mao. Modern mummies are spookier that ancient mummies, imo.

isn't kim il sung mummified too?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Joseance posted:

google told me nothing but my only guess would be hollywood is lazy?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

Was that color actually called 'mummy brown' back then, or is it just the term used nowadays to refer to the paint that had ground up mummies in it?

No, it was really called that, and sometimes "Egyptian brown", or "Caput mortuum" (dead head) if it was really dark. Mummy, or "mumia", aka ground up mummies, was a highly sought after medicine (apparently due to a hilarious misunderstanding of the Persian word for "bitumen", that is, asphalt; "mum"/"mumiya") in the early modern period in Europe, and led to a huge trade in Egyptian corpses.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mooey Cow posted:

No, it was really called that, and sometimes "Egyptian brown", or "Caput mortuum" (dead head) if it was really dark. Mummy, or "mumia", aka ground up mummies, was a highly sought after medicine (apparently due to a hilarious misunderstanding of the Persian word for "bitumen", that is, asphalt; "mum"/"mumiya") in the early modern period in Europe, and led to a huge trade in Egyptian corpses.

Oh, that's wild. I assumed it initially had a different name based on the mention in the article that one painter buried his tube when he found out its origins. Then again, didn't some well-to-do Victorian era people have mummy unwrapping parties?

E:

Luvcow posted:

i've heard of the show and want to see it but haven't got a chance to watch it yet, too much good tv right now and not enough time to catch it all so thank you for reminding me it exists.

You should set all the other good tv aside and check it out ASAP. Because it's the best TV.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 29, 2018

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh, that's wild. I assumed it initially had a different name based on the mention in the article that one painter buried his tube when he found out its origins. Then again, didn't some well-to-do Victorian era people have mummy unwrapping parties?

Yes. They did a lot of unintentional damage.

Fiction/movie mummies are wrapped in bandages because Egyptian mummies were wrapped in bandages. However, they were really wrapped in any cloth at hand. An ancient Egyptian sail was discovered among a mummy's wrapping. Andean mummies were wrapped in layers of textiles. People will find cemeteries and dig up mummies to sell the textiles to tourists/anyone willing to pay. They destroy the body in the process.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

These Mummies put on a great show.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I wish the new Dark Universe movies didn't suck poo poo and get canned after film 1, would love to see a return of the classic monsters in a modern world

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Khazar-khum posted:

Yes. They did a lot of unintentional damage.

Fiction/movie mummies are wrapped in bandages because Egyptian mummies were wrapped in bandages. However, they were really wrapped in any cloth at hand. An ancient Egyptian sail was discovered among a mummy's wrapping. Andean mummies were wrapped in layers of textiles. People will find cemeteries and dig up mummies to sell the textiles to tourists/anyone willing to pay. They destroy the body in the process.

Sometimes they find writing on mummies because people used to write on linen. The longest Etruscan text found was on an Egyptian mummy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Zeluth posted:

Body Worlds is how I know what my Dad's lungs must be like.

Oh yeah Body Worlds kicked rear end. What a job...
https://bodyworlds.com/plastination/plastination-technique/

honey mummy is a little too spooky for me

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

do all the corpses on mt everest count as mummies ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

peanut posted:

do all the corpses on mt everest count as mummies ????

If they get mummified.

• Locked thread