Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't think ever actually played this first game. I began with Red Alert on the Playstation, which I loving loved (in spite of playing an RTS on a console. Shh, I didn't have a worthwhile PC then)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DeathChicken posted:

I don't think ever actually played this first game. I began with Red Alert on the Playstation, which I loving loved (in spite of playing an RTS on a console. Shh, I didn't have a worthwhile PC then)

This is basically the first time I'll be actually playing through Tiberian Dawn myself :blush:

Also have a gif

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I ever really got over my obsession with Tiberian Sun. I still think about it, occasionally

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Crane Fist posted:

I don't think I ever really got over my obsession with Tiberian Sun. I still think about it, occasionally

So it glowed on you?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
disregard. im a huge nerd the end

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 26, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crane Fist posted:

Sometimes when I'm concentrating real hard I whisper to myself

This is getting close to spoilers; everyone please watch out lines you quote. Thanks

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah good point

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crane Fist posted:

Yeah good point

no tags, please

quote:

And since this entire thing is being done chronologically, that means ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS AT ALL ABOUT ANYTHING! NO. SPOILERS. Not even tags.

The Command and Conquer series has very little in terms of adaptations or spin-off content, having, I think, one "expanded universe" book sold in 2009, so let's just let things play out as the games intended them to. Thanks!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Engineers - fun to use (and abuse). If your enemy doesn't have many emplaced defenses, you send a screening/expendable force to pin down whatever units the enemy has in the base, then rush in a screen of engineers to capture as much as possible. requires good bit of micromanagement, timing, and having surplus forces you don't mind sacrificing if it doesn't go well. But, if it does you can seize large chunks of an enemy base and disrupt a great deal of their economy and production.

And tkaing out vehicles with infantry can be a pain. Particularly when siad vehicles start chasing you and mass running infantry over. Light and fast vehicles can make a quick mess of this - you can lose a lot when you're trying to run down the last bits of an enemy force and they're rushing in to run you over.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Surprised this thread isn't sub-titled "My other tank is an APC full of engineers".

There's something about the near-future aesthetic of the original C&C that I really like. I guess that the sequels having lasers everywhere kind of cheapens the high tech stuff - likewise for the tech creep between the original Red Alert and its sequels, too. At any rate, the remaster had better keep the original installer.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I had forgotten how badly compressed the first cnc's cutscenes were holy poo poo.

Also since Klepacki is incredibly intertwined with the series, it'd probably be interesting for some of you that he's still doing game tracks and they still sound klepacki as gently caress :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf2brdU4X5A

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

sullat posted:

That's a funny way to spell 'House Atriedes'.

Atreides almost always has the best and most actually useful tech in those games, while the Harkonnen have some token SUPER HEAVY UNITS that are in no way worth using, meanwhile Ordos has a shitload of hilarious war crimes. Gotta go with war crimes.

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Man these games still have some of the best soundtracks ever.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Here's my hot take: Tiberian Sun looks better than RA2. I like its small, clean sprites, grimdark environments and coloured lighting. My other hot take is that Zero Hour is the best C&C game.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mordja posted:

Here's my hot take: Tiberian Sun looks better than RA2. I like its small, clean sprites, grimdark environments and coloured lighting. My other hot take is that Zero Hour is the best C&C game.

First one is objectively correct, second is completely, impossibly wrong. :colbert:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Generals is amazing, but boy howdy does the c&c branding they gave it not make sense.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Let's save branding and odd choices for when we get to Generals (in like 4 years)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah I really want to say words about some titles there but since I can't, I will be watching Tiberium Dawn very closely, since I never experienced it before.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

One thing I think I noticed in the video. Taking the gdi barracks didn't give you a gdi trooper option in the build menu. Was stealing the opposing tech tree not a thing in the first game?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

One thing I think I noticed in the video. Taking the gdi barracks didn't give you a gdi trooper option in the build menu. Was stealing the opposing tech tree not a thing in the first game?

While there is different flavor text for each unit, the GDI minigunner is exactly the same as the NOD minigunner. The same applies to the GDI and NOD engineers, MCV, and Harvesters.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I dont know how willing you are to check the .ini files or look up online the exact stats for unit health, damage, range, attack speed, weapon/armor type, etc. but it'd be interesting to see your breakdown on how units function and feel to use vs. your postings of how units are described in the manual vs. the actual hard numbers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Broken Box posted:

I dont know how willing you are to check the .ini files or look up online the exact stats for unit health, damage, range, attack speed, weapon/armor type, etc. but it'd be interesting to see your breakdown on how units function and feel to use vs. your postings of how units are described in the manual vs. the actual hard numbers.

I'll certainly look into it, but a post won't be forthcoming until we get deeper into the campaign.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Atreides almost always has the best and most actually useful tech in those games, while the Harkonnen have some token SUPER HEAVY UNITS that are in no way worth using, meanwhile Ordos has a shitload of hilarious war crimes. Gotta go with war crimes.

And then in Emperor Battle for Dune, Ordos went with the "we have a fantastic techno-ish soundtrack and our other tanks are holograms, also sometimes war crimes". Ordos was really the best faction.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

PurpleXVI posted:

PS: Nod 4 lyfe.

A certain character from Tiberian Sun will soon be making your acquaintance. A struggle to submit to thread rules and not quote them here, but I shall resist the temptation.

Quality goon though you are, personally find this statement heresy.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Mordja posted:

If I remember this post when we get to RA2 sometime in 2036, I'll have a lot to say in opposition to that first point.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
You know, this series is kind of funny, when I think about it. I can remember it so clearly, and I think I've played basically every installment of it... but if someone asked me to talk about the actual mechanics, I'd have basically nothing but complaints for most of the C&C games. So I'm not sure it is what made them so playable and memorable. Was it really just the soundtrack and the hammy FMV acting that caught my imagination like crazy?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, this series is kind of funny, when I think about it. I can remember it so clearly, and I think I've played basically every installment of it... but if someone asked me to talk about the actual mechanics, I'd have basically nothing but complaints for most of the C&C games. So I'm not sure it is what made them so playable and memorable. Was it really just the soundtrack and the hammy FMV acting that caught my imagination like crazy?

I think it was a lot of people's first RTS series; if it's the same for you then you probably just didn't have a good enough grasp of the genre to critique the mechanics back when you were playing.

Plus honestly yeah, it's just joyfully hammy top to bottom. The designs, the lines when you click units, everything. I have no desire to go play more of it but it still makes me smile when I get reminded of RA2, which is where I joined the series.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

There's also a lot of stuff that's broken in fun ways though. And they were always visually a treat, so even if they weren't the most balanced games ever it was still fun to build a swarm of dudes and then watch them smash into an enemy swarm of dudes.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I love the C&C FMV cutscenes so much :allears:
RA3 and C&C3 both have some rather big names in them too.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hot take here the Command & Conquer series was more fun than anything Blizzard ever produced and one of the best RTS franchises in general. It had a good pace and enabled a wide variety of playstyles within missions, and the aesthetic was always excellent. The first few games had their flaws, certainly, but Red Alert 2 (especially with Yuri's Revenge) is my pick for best RTS of all time, hands-down. Like, C&C is not one of those "it was actually never very good in the first place" series, even if some people were less enthused about it than others.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I honestly think the series peaked with Kane's Wrath.
And I'd pick it over Starcraft 2 in a heartbeat.

It just didn't have ~esports~ legacy of Brood War.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kane's Wrath is an incredibly solid RTS.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Hot take here the Command & Conquer series was more fun than anything Blizzard ever produced and one of the best RTS franchises in general. It had a good pace and enabled a wide variety of playstyles within missions, and the aesthetic was always excellent. The first few games had their flaws, certainly, but Red Alert 2 (especially with Yuri's Revenge) is my pick for best RTS of all time, hands-down. Like, C&C is not one of those "it was actually never very good in the first place" series, even if some people were less enthused about it than others.

If I had to pick a couple of C&C games where I felt like I was having fun with the gameplay and not just the aesthetics, I'd have to say RA3 and even though it's not technically a C&C game(but really, we know it's just a reskinned C&C game), Emperor: War for Dune.

A lot of the games honestly just felt like they boiled down to "figure out how to bug out the AI into endlessly destroying itself against your static defenses(or wall them in with sandbags that they were too dumb to attack their way out of), then attack-move whichever decent all-rounder unit you have at them in a huge swarm." I mean, you COULD get into creative tactics like luring their dudes away and then hitting them with a swarm of engineers from a blind angle but... it just never really felt necessary.

As for best RTS of all time... honestly, I'd have to say Warcraft 3 with the expansion. Not so much the base game itself, but for the countless hours that I spent on the custom maps on Battle.Net when I was a teenager. It just had the most incredibly robust, yet relatively easy to use, map editor ever.

Also, ha ha, yes, gently caress Starcraft 2.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

If I had to pick a couple of C&C games where I felt like I was having fun with the gameplay and not just the aesthetics, I'd have to say RA3 and even though it's not technically a C&C game(but really, we know it's just a reskinned C&C game), Emperor: War for Dune.

A lot of the games honestly just felt like they boiled down to "figure out how to bug out the AI into endlessly destroying itself against your static defenses(or wall them in with sandbags that they were too dumb to attack their way out of), then attack-move whichever decent all-rounder unit you have at them in a huge swarm." I mean, you COULD get into creative tactics like luring their dudes away and then hitting them with a swarm of engineers from a blind angle but... it just never really felt necessary.

As for best RTS of all time... honestly, I'd have to say Warcraft 3 with the expansion. Not so much the base game itself, but for the countless hours that I spent on the custom maps on Battle.Net when I was a teenager. It just had the most incredibly robust, yet relatively easy to use, map editor ever.

Also, ha ha, yes, gently caress Starcraft 2.

I mean, you could turtle up and then smash them with a swarm of whatever, but if you wanted a good rating for the mission, you'd need to figure out the right tactics to use, and when. Now, again, the early games had their issues with this, but RA2 is the best RTS ever made specifically because of how well they managed this. I can't go into detail yet, but RA2 manages to be amazingly fun regardless of whether you decide to slowly mass up your forces or rush the enemy with precisely the right setup.

Also, not gonna lie, all the dozens of special abilities and unit-specific upgrades they introduced in the latter parts of the franchise weren't enjoyable for me, I didn't like it in Warcraft and I don't like it in my Command & Conquer.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
NOD Mission 03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op6VmaPMMOY
NOD Mission 03

SUDAN
Population: 28,305,000
Expendability: 50%
Capital: Khartoum
Government: Military
Govt Corruptability: 52%
Net Worth: $12.1 Billion
Point of Conflict: Al-Ubayyid
Military Strength: Respectable
Military Resistance: 72%

Seth compliments us, and tells us he'll put in a good word for us with Kane. We have nothing to emphasize the need for rescuing the prisoners held here, but we may just not be privy to that information.

Objective: Capture the prison; do not destroy it!

Briefing: GDI has established a prison camp, where they are detaining some of the local political leaders. Kane wishes to liberate these victims. Destroy the GDI forces and capture the prison, do not destroy it.

Author's note: I always hear Seth's claim as being very boastful, as if he's hiding something. Anyone else get that vibe?

COMMUNICATIONS CENTER
ARMOR: MEDIUM
COST: 1000
SECONDS TO PRODUCE: 66
POWER USAGE: 40
PURPOSE: BASE RADAR & COMMUNICATION
Allows the use of the radar screen as long as there is sufficient power. The radar screen allows for long-range views of the battlefield and for
commanding units over great distances. When playing as Nod against GDI in the solo play missions, destroying GDI’s Radar Facility will keep
GDI from launching A-10 airstrikes against you.

Author's notes: A building with very little purpose for NODs forces, the communications center basically only gives you the radar/minimap. We'll see what the A-10 airstrikes are like soon enough, so don't worry about seeing those in effect.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 30, 2018

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Author's notes: A building with very little purpose for NODs forces, the communications center basically only gives you the radar/minimap. We'll see what the A-10 airstrikes are like soon enough, so don't worry about seeing those in effect.

I would say that the minimap is absolutely essential to playing C&C; the lack of Fog of War means that as long as you've got your radar up and running and have explored far enough, you can always see enemy attacks well before they arrive. It also adds an additional dimension to multiplayer, allowing you to all but blind an opponent by striking at their radar building. Later games, especially, allow for some avant-garde tactics involving taking out the enemy's minimap right before launching an attack from an unexpected angle. Having to find both your units and their own manually will buy you a few precious seconds to wail on their base.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EclecticTastes posted:

I would say that the minimap is absolutely essential to playing C&C; the lack of Fog of War means that as long as you've got your radar up and running and have explored far enough, you can always see enemy attacks well before they arrive. It also adds an additional dimension to multiplayer, allowing you to all but blind an opponent by striking at their radar building. Later games, especially, allow for some avant-garde tactics involving taking out the enemy's minimap right before launching an attack from an unexpected angle. Having to find both your units and their own manually will buy you a few precious seconds to wail on their base.

When talking about multiplayer, sure, but in the single-player missions its been quite pointless so far =\

Edit: Keep in mind I'm talking about Tiberian Dawn only, because 1. We haven't gotten to other games yet and 2. The maps at the "higher resolution" aren't big enough to require a ton of scrolling.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 27, 2018

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The maps at the "higher resolution" aren't big enough to require a ton of scrolling.

Point taken, I haven't played the original C&C since, like, '98 or '99, back when 800x600 was top of the line.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EclecticTastes posted:

Point taken, I haven't played the original C&C since, like, '98 or '99, back when 800x600 was top of the line.

Yeah when you fullscreen 640x480 its super useful to have the minimap but when I'm at almoat double that resolution, well... youve seen the first 3 maps so far, they aren't huge by today's standards.

That being said, Fog of War is definitely nerve wracking and, when screens were tiny, every map felt big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
C&C was always -fun- to play as a series for almost every game. Over the top, hammy, often ludicrous. But things were ridiculous enough (espeically with the FMV's) to make it worth going through. I always enjoyed playing them even if I sucked at them (spoiler; I do) and the story.

Whether the game have held up well from that era of RTS' is as alwys a matter of personal opinion, but I loved the sheer over the toppedness it had in ways that Starcraft and Warcraft never quite did.

I also think in general it hit a groove where things actually happened, rather than the near ten year turnaround between Warcraft and Starcraft games.