Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

22 Eargesplitten posted:

None of my friends do! The benefits of all of your friends either being rednecks or from the ghetto.

Also not having many friends.

:smith:

:smith: :respek: :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’ve never posted in TFR but there are a lot of logical responses going on itt, OP. Ya still there caller?

Angry Hippo
May 12, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the OP should actually get a huge gently caress off, stainless steel desert eagle in .50AE and open carry it everywhere he goes. It will both prove his virility to his woman friend and intimidate any would be assailants.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This situation sounds like a good way to end up dead or in prison.

You’re suffering from Oneitis; reality is she isn’t that great because she’s emotionally using you without offering you anything in return. This will never change. Quit torturing yourself and quit talking to her.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Angry Hippo posted:

I think the OP should actually get a huge gently caress off, stainless steel desert eagle in .50AE and open carry it everywhere he goes. It will both prove his virility to his woman friend and intimidate any would be assailants.

Only scrubs get desert eagles in something other than the gold tiger stripe finish.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Mortabis posted:

Only scrubs get desert eagles in something other than the gold tiger stripe finish.

Yeah, that's why he said stainless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrLequ6dUdM

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.
That sounds a lot like the last girlfriend I had before I met my wife. A scary amount like her in fact.

I just had to walk away, you should do the same. It's not easy, I know, pretty sure you and I are a lot alike based on what you are saying here. There's really nothing else for it though with the way you describe her. Just channel the energy you put into her into finding someone that appreciates you and puts in work also. She's out there.

As to the gun question.

Go buy some bear spray. That will serve you much better in your present circumstance.

Then, if you still want a gun, we can help you out. I'd highly suggest starting with any number of guns in .22lr so you can get good at shooting before you graduate to something that can be used for self defense. It will save you a ton of having to fix bad habits later, and you can get legitimately good at shooting, which will translate to harder recoiling guns that you pick up later.

A lot of people think they should just buy one gun and be done with it, but for those folks bear spray would work much much better for their purposes.

Or pepper spray i guess. I'm in Montana so I can get free cans of bear spray from friendly car rental folks who have a big box of it that they get from people who can't bring it home with them.

Sixgun Strumpet fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 22, 2018

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

A lot of people think they should just buy one gun and be done with it, but for those folks bear spray would work much much better for their purposes.

Or pepper spray i guess. I'm in Montana so I can get free cans of bear spray from friendly car rental folks who have a big box of it that they get from people who can't bring it home with them.

This is also true if you'reactually trying to protect yourself from bears tbh. Tool for the job. Bear/pepper spray is also a lot easier to use properly and safely.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
:discourse:

TFR does not disappoint.

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
You should buy a dog instead.

Not for protection or anything, just sounds like they would be a better companion than your ex.

Plus, lots of walkies.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SirDrinksAlot posted:

You should buy a dog instead.

I disagree. OP should buy a cat. It would exhibit a complete disdain for him while also demanding his constant attention, so he could maintain the experience of dealing with his ex, but without the angry boyfriend.

Perhaps this thread should head to PI to further assist in the selection of a life companion.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My man, if you are still reading this, listen. The relationship you have with your ex isn't healthy.

This doesn't mean that she's a bad person. It doesn't mean that you're a bad person. But I'm telling you, as an unbiased third party- I've seen this story before. I've seen people I know go through it, friends, family, co-workers.

It doesn't end well for either of you. The relationship dynamic you share with her is untenable. It's clear you're still attached to her as more than a friend, and it's clear that attachment is going to drag you all over the place. You're going to argue. You're going to have fights. Things will get better before they get worse, probably for the same reasons you broke up to begin with.

Look:

OP posted:

I'm generally a person who gives freely to my friends, but I'm starting to feel taken advantage of. Am I overreacting? How do I address this? Should I address this? Should I just ghost her? Is it a big ask? What do you guys think?

She's a lovely person and frankly the only human I'm interested in being in a relationship with at the moment

Why did I walk away? Because I was tired of being an rear end in a top hat to her despite her trying to help me through some personal stuff after we broke up(she was unhappy in our relationship, and her current made a play. I don't blame her, I was real deep in an existential funk.)

I want you to read your own words, and think about what you've written.

You were in a 'deep existential funk' ( probably depression ), she was unhappy, she left. Your needs, your well-being in that sentence? You don't seem to qualify them as important.

You "give freely to your friends". This is a noble trait when you do it because you're a mature person who shares responsibly. But with the way you write, I am guessing you give to please and appease. You're insecure in your self, your relationships.

She's "the only one you want". Why? And what about you has changed that would make this relationship work now?

You remind me of me when I was younger. That person was not a pleasant person to be, or be around, and he brought a lot of his suffering down on his own head. You don't need a relationship with this woman, or anyone else- not now, because other people will never make you happy.

You gotta make you happy, OP. And it sucks, and it's hard, but trying is better than doing nothing. And once you get to a place where you can accept this as truth and start working on yourself, you can worry about other people.

If you've got money enough to think about buying a gun, you can research local therapists, find one you can afford and have an honest discussion with a professional about yourself, and your feelings.

don't

buy

a loving

gun

Nipponophile posted:

I disagree. OP should buy a cat. It would exhibit a complete disdain for him while also demanding his constant attention, so he could maintain the experience of dealing with his ex, but without the angry boyfriend.

Perhaps this thread should head to PI to further assist in the selection of a life companion.

And if the cat doesn't work out either, he'll need a revolver.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
OP, I'm all for people being armed to the teeth, but what you need ain't a gun. It's to drop that woman like a rock, and go get yourself on some antidepressants. Then, after you've stabilized, and you're all good, if you still want a gun because guns are cool, I suggest getting a Ruger 10/22, because they're a great and cheap place to start.

But seriously. Sever, meds, maybe find someone professional to talk to. Sounds to me like you're going through some poo poo outside of the lovely ex, and getting some help might make the difference.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

:discourse:

TFR does not disappoint.

Does TFR ever disappoint?

Burt Sexual posted:

I’ve never posted in TFR but there are a lot of logical responses going on itt, OP. Ya still there caller?

This is pretty much standard TFR. Up to our necks in guns, and generally pretty good people.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

MohawkSatan posted:

OP, I'm all for people being armed to the teeth, but what you need ain't a gun. It's to drop that woman like a rock, and go get yourself on some antidepressants. Then, after you've stabilized, and you're all good, if you still want a gun because guns are cool, I suggest getting a Ruger 10/22, because they're a great and cheap place to start.

But seriously. Sever, meds, maybe find someone professional to talk to. Sounds to me like you're going through some poo poo outside of the lovely ex, and getting some help might make the difference.

Does TFR ever disappoint?

This is pretty much standard TFR. Up to our necks in guns, and generally pretty good people.

Also, birds and cats.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Sever

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Nipponophile posted:

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Also, birds and cats.

I endorse both an eventual move to PI and animal pictures.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I endorse both an eventual move to PI and animal pictures.

This is Boo when he grew up:

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
:swoon: You owned a pet quail?!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Bobbie Wickham posted:

This forum is full of fun surprises.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Yeah boo is a celebrity around here.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Bobbie Wickham posted:

Yeah. Two actually.

They are amazingly good pets, but are extremely social and they aren't the kind of pet you have if you can't be around them most of the day.

Fortunately, when young they love hiding in your hands:

and in a paper bag during the teenage stage:

You can get them from a game farm. Boo was just a day old when we got him.

They are kind of like a little puppy.

Big drawback: they are always underfoot. You have to learn to shuffle sort of so that you don't step on them.

The males like Boo (or the first one we had Opie) are also kind of big into the pecking order. Fortunately, they are tiny and when they fight with you can't do any damage at all. They also think they are feet. Which does mean if they like you they will rape your foot. Which is pretty funny. Mostly it does mean that they will like certain people, and not others.

Overall super pleasant, charming but not overly loud vocalizations, distinct personalities, likes/dislikes and habits. Very very imprinted, so you can take them outside and they will just hang out with you. The only time we ever had issues was in the teenage years when they were learning to fly and would fly into a tree and be too afraid to come down.

Opie also about brained himself on a window, but after that knew about them. Boo never had that problem, he figured out the magical force fields without having to injure himself.

All in all I'd say that if you are a bird person, and you can have someone home most of the time, quail are a ridiculously cheap, and ridiculously excellent pets.

Opie used to fly down from the top of the bookshelf where he slept in the morning to get under the covers with me where it was warm.

They can't really be house trained, but they are so small and their droppings are so inoffensive that you can pretty easily clean up after them. Mostly just put some towels down where they hang out much of the day (typically in front of windows, they like to keep an eye out and warn you about predators). Otherwise droppings elsewhere don't really smell much at all, dry quickly, and vacuum up easily.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
I'm not a bird person and my cat would kill one, but oh my god do I wish one of my friends had a pet quail.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think this guy needs some advice from people more in tune to what kind of pet best replaces an ex who are still emotionally attached to. A gun doesn't seem like the solution to this problem. Maybe a gun that shoots puppies. Are those a thing?

I'm kind of leaning Pomeranian because they're needy and high maintenance, but that's just me going with my gut. PI please help!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Cyrano4747 posted:

Maybe a gun that shoots puppies.
phrasing

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

:stonk:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So, a bullpup?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you should get a big ol dog op

helped me get through my divorce quite well.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

OP how tall are you? If you are Very Tall, might I suggest a maremma sheepdog. Don't have to worry about your lovely ex's shittier new bf because a maremma won't let them in the door. Also good for disposing of any spare children you might have and protecting valuable livestock.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Instant Jellyfish posted:

OP how tall are you? If you are Very Tall, might I suggest a maremma sheepdog. Don't have to worry about your lovely ex's shittier new bf because a maremma won't let them in the door. Also good for disposing of any spare children you might have and protecting valuable livestock.
Livestock and trees

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Mortabis posted:

OP don't buy this gun because I am going to when I become a stereotypical drug dealer

also you should get a pug because it's short and asthmatic much like I imagine you are

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
OP should get a corgi. It won't protect you from poo poo, but you'll have a corgi.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Twitch posted:

OP should get a corgi. It won't protect you from poo poo, but you'll have a corgi.

:agreed:

But I think a corgi would probably be pretty good protection. Just get a pack of them like the Queen had!

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
I don't know about the OP, but I'm going to suggest getting a pet quail to my dad. I think that would actually be perfect for him.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I don't know about the OP, but I'm going to suggest getting a pet quail to my dad. I think that would actually be perfect for him.

I never knew quail made good pets, they seem cool and good. I've only eaten their eggs, which are delicious.

(I guess now this thread needs to go to GWS?)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Don't eat your pets

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Enfys posted:

Don't eat your pets

since when are gato tacos verboten?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Come back to the thread, OP!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

op did u get a kitty kitty yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Enfys posted:

Don't eat your pets

But it's what they would have wanted! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FhVvNGsJV8