Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cock Sucker
Nov 14, 2018
No, people work pretty hard where I am so it makes more sense to give them free food, coffee, and nice computers so they spend less time grabbing that stuff and more time working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
"A hungry worker is a hard worker."

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Why would you want your workers to have erect penises :thunk:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We used to throw a big Christmas party of everyone, now we throw a big Christmas party for just the office. Manufacturing, production, and shipping all the minimum wage labor jobs? They don't get invited but they get the same 2 hour lunch before we all get told to go home early. So they throw a pot luck in the front dock, well a few years ago the CEO decided that was a great idea because it has a bunch of room and isn't used this time of year. So now there's a fully catered dinner with the CEO giving a speech and eating loving lobster and steak because he has to have the best food there. The office is eating a wide spread buffet of pretty decent stuff, and the underpaid people are eating home made rice and beans all in the same room.

It's pretty hosed up to sit there. For extra :wtc: the office gets bonuses and then the CEO gives gift cards out of a fish bowl to the pot luck, then pretends he got "too many gift cards" every loving year and gives them to the office as well. We get it, you don't like poor people Mr. CEO. No reason to be a dick to them. (I'm in IT, and get invited to both parties so being in the same room is convenient for me).

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pixaal posted:

We used to throw a big Christmas party of everyone, now we throw a big Christmas party for just the office. Manufacturing, production, and shipping all the minimum wage labor jobs? They don't get invited but they get the same 2 hour lunch before we all get told to go home early. So they throw a pot luck in the front dock, well a few years ago the CEO decided that was a great idea because it has a bunch of room and isn't used this time of year. So now there's a fully catered dinner with the CEO giving a speech and eating loving lobster and steak because he has to have the best food there. The office is eating a wide spread buffet of pretty decent stuff, and the underpaid people are eating home made rice and beans all in the same room.

It's pretty hosed up to sit there. For extra :wtc: the office gets bonuses and then the CEO gives gift cards out of a fish bowl to the pot luck, then pretends he got "too many gift cards" every loving year and gives them to the office as well. We get it, you don't like poor people Mr. CEO. No reason to be a dick to them. (I'm in IT, and get invited to both parties so being in the same room is convenient for me).
Wait, so you have a company potluck where different tiers of people eat different food? How the gently caress does that work?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

pixaal posted:

what the gently caress

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dolphin posted:

Wait, so you have a company potluck where different tiers of people eat different food? How the gently caress does that work?

No there's a catered lunch for the office that invaded the same space the main body of employees uses for their pot luck. Company pays in full for the office's party, everyone else is told to just have fun with a 2h lunch and do whatever, so they started their own thing. It's really hosed up.

Imagine a giant loving dock with room to unload a multiple trucks without sorting any of it, now it's completely empty because we aren't taking in new stock. So it's 1 side of the room is office the other side is the actual work force that makes poo poo happen.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pixaal posted:

No there's a catered lunch for the office that invaded the same space the main body of employees uses for their pot luck. Company pays in full for the office's party, everyone else is told to just have fun with a 2h lunch and do whatever, so they started their own thing. It's really hosed up.

Imagine a giant loving dock with room to unload a multiple trucks without sorting any of it, now it's completely empty because we aren't taking in new stock. So it's 1 side of the room is office the other side is the actual work force that makes poo poo happen.

Is there security guards to prevent the lowly employees from eatting the catered food? Or like a rope separating the sections?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Over There posted:

Back in the late 1980's, Toyota came up with this brilliant ideology of removing as much waste, or cost, in the process to deliver the best service to the customer. Since implementing that idea, Toyota grew substantially to the point that becoming lean was something that the public took notice to. Companies starting seeing that if they just start cutting costs on stuff that doesn't matter to them, they will make much more profit. Sounds like a win/win for them. Becoming lean was told to be the only way a company can be effective in today's market. Since then, companies from all different industries started this process, from banks, video game companies, insurance, ect.

This has become the cancer on our dead end jobs that cause the following:

Obtaining the cheapest technology and ending up spending more on trying to fix the broken system than it would have been to just get the better product

When you get a survey from a customer that is anything lower than a 10, it's a 0.

Free coffee? Get out of here with that.

Oh you used to have pizza parties every month or so? No more of that.

You had a manager that you could count on to take care of you and who you could call a friend? Get them the hell out of there and put someone in who only looks at numbers.

A customer has an issue with something and in reality it might take a little time to fix it. Well none of that because you're supposed to get the client their answer as quickly as possible or else you're being reprimanded. Tell them there's nothing you can do and get to the next ticket.

Meanwhile, CEOs are sitting in the mansions wondering why morale is so low and never actually asks why to the people who go through this. Then they go back to throwing their money at that new boat they saw on the internet.

Lean Manufacturing is the loving worst.

"Lean" is a derivative of "Lean Six Sigma" that started out as "Six Sigma" that a guy named Deming tried to pitch to american corporations back in the 1950s and they all laughed at him.

He took it over to Japan (whose culture is entirely different from the US) and they adopted it.

Once US corporations got all "we gotta be like the Japanese" they adopted it, not realizing that it was something that they poo poo on 40 years earlier.

Three things about Lean/Six Sigma:

1. It's basically tailored to a manufacturing environment, but it seems like every company is trying to shoehorn it into their operations.

2. If you're going to be a "Lean" company, you need to structure your company that way, not just cherry-pick the parts of Lean/Six Sigma that sound good.

3. The Japanese companies (again a totally different culture) have been doing things this way for over 60 years. You can't just decide to be Lean, try it for a couple of months, and then just switch to the next new management fad that comes along.

Source: I'm a Certified Six Sigma Green Belt.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

lol good lord.
I can see splitting up the meals by teams or what have you maybe based on scheduling or size concerns, but to not even give them a budget for theirs? That is hosed up.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MightyJoe36 posted:

"Lean" is a derivative of "Lean Six Sigma" that started out as "Six Sigma" that a guy named Deming tried to pitch to american corporations back in the 1950s and they all laughed at him.

He took it over to Japan (whose culture is entirely different from the US) and they adopted it.

Once US corporations got all "we gotta be like the Japanese" they adopted it, not realizing that it was something that they poo poo on 40 years earlier.

1. It's basically tailored to a manufacturing environment, but it seems like every company is trying to shoehorn it into their operations.

2. If you're going to be a "Lean" company, you need to structure your company that way, not just cherry-pick the parts of Lean/Six Sigma that sound good.

3. The Japanese companies (again a totally different culture) have been doing things this way for over 60 years. You can't just decide to be Lean, try it for a couple of months, and then just switch to the next new management fad that comes along.

why would anyone want to be like the Japanese? Their economy has been stagnant for like 30 years

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I work for a financial service and insurance company that decided it wanted to be lean and it’s loving hilarious. They also decided at the same time that we need to “pivot” and “be like a tech start up” so it’s great seeing these half rear end attempts at small incremental changes and large massive ones clash constantly and resulting in nothing meaningful being accomplished.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dolphin posted:

If by "company" you mean "unemployed" and by "lean" you mean "go gently caress yourself" then I can heartily concur and yes I would like to buy what you're selling.

im selling tardsturbation services from home

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MightyJoe36 posted:

1 and 2 are contradictory and 2 becomes muddy because of consultants offering ready made lean six sigma management schemes that helpfully "shorten your transformation" by skipping the important parts where you apply critical thinking to your current work processes so you can wholesale implement one that was just fine for one specific circumstance unlike your own and it turns into COOs walking around saying lean is great after I got rid of all the garbage.

There's a lot of tools in the bucket of lean six sigma that are specifically for discrete manufacturing and you can just throw those in the garbage if you aren't doing discrete manufacturing. That leaves the "hey idiot the scientific method works good to manage processes" pieces, which depending on your management is either "well we already do that, so what" or you don't already do that because management doesn't know how to manage beside from their gut and you probably aren't about to teach them but now you have reason to terminate when they can't certify so maybe you make out, I don't know.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rutibex posted:

why would anyone want to be like the Japanese? Their economy has been stagnant for like 30 years

Most executives now got their start in the 80s when Japanese businesses were at their height so I think that has stuck in their minds despite the fact that it no longer is the case.

Realistically I think everyone including the Japanese forgot the actual lesson of the 80s which was the Japanese automakers gained a poo poo ton of market share because their products worked better and were put together better than anything the domestics were making at the same price point and that’s why they were so popular. Lean manufacturing was just a means to refine out problems with an existing product line but it can’t fix a fundamentally flawed product to begin with.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lean is splitting up a job that was done by 1 team/department and making department A do steps 1, 2 and 5 and department B steps 3, 4 and 6 of said job right? And make it difficult to communicate between department A and B so no-one really knows what has already be done and what still needs to be done? + 800 meetings/month? Because yeah, then I'm working for a lean company.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

shut up blegum posted:

Lean is splitting up a job that was done by 1 team/department and making department A do steps 1, 2 and 5 and department B steps 3, 4 and 6 of said job right? And make it difficult to communicate between department A and B so no-one really knows what has already be done and what still needs to be done? + 800 meetings/month? Because yeah, then I'm working for a lean company.

that just sounds like loving chaos

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

loving efficient japanese pricks

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I am underpaid but company provides me with free Folgers coffee and biscottis so I guess it’s ok. What lovely Christmas gift did your companies give you people? I got a 50 dollar Home Depot card. Did I say Christmas? I meant holiday gift. We don’t do Christmas here, just a non denominational secular holiday celebration.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone give me a job tia

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Krustic posted:

I am underpaid but company provides me with free Folgers coffee and biscottis so I guess it’s ok. What lovely Christmas gift did your companies give you people? I got a 50 dollar Home Depot card. Did I say Christmas? I meant holiday gift. We don’t do Christmas here, just a non denominational secular holiday celebration.

We got nothing. We used to get about 4 hours one day of the month for Christmas shopping but they took that away too.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jose posted:

someone give me a job tia

i might have an opening for you

check my homepage, it's linked in my profile

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Hogge Wild posted:

gently caress you OP

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pixaal posted:

The min wage boys should honestly murder him at the next one, what a loving puke

They should probably murder you too but in a more polite fashion

raton fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 20, 2018

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hogge Wild posted:

:imunfunny:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

shut up blegum posted:

No this is functional excellence. Easy mistake to make.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I work for a really financially healthy non-profit. For obvious reasons we can't be decadent about our spending but all our programs are well funded and we are expansion focused. There are so many K-Cups.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

pixaal posted:

We get a Christmas party!

But I don't get to go, because I have a shift, a lucrative weekend shift! That's like 30% more pay! Even though it's a terrible evening shift for only 4 hours and I have to walk home through the bad part of Australia's most crime-ridden city at 3 in the morning, it's worth it!

If I die or end up a vegetable because I get coward-punched, Lowtax can have my account.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Three Olives posted:

I work for a really financially healthy non-profit. For obvious reasons we can't be decadent about our spending but all our programs are well funded and we are expansion focused. There are so many K-Cups.

Whatever it is I'm about 90% confident it should be shut down due to the whole Three Olives association issue

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

raton posted:

Whatever it is I'm about 90% confident it should be shut down due to the whole Three Olives association issue

It's a legal defense fund for HOAs.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Over There posted:

We got nothing. We used to get about 4 hours one day of the month for Christmas shopping but they took that away too.

Sorry your company is run by bastards.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Krustic posted:

Sorry your company is run by bastards.

thanks jesus

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Three Olives posted:

It's a legal defense fund for HOAs.

really

hm

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
im drivin a toyota these days and I've gotta say, that poo poo is the bee's tits

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Over There posted:

You at least get 4 days for Christmas and New Years, right?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

raton posted:

The min wage boys should honestly murder him at the next one, what a loving puke

They should probably murder you too but in a more polite fashion

That'd be tomorrow!

I always feel a bit guilty at these. I'm not the one making the plans, and I've brought up how odd it is a few times. Most people don't seem to care in the office, and the potluck is always bitter and says they don't want the fancy food anyway. The potluck side is more fun to talk to anyway.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Over There posted:

that just sounds like loving chaos

I might have exaggerated a bit for comedic value. Besides, we're an agile company now anyway.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Stark Fist posted:

im drivin a toyota these days and I've gotta say, that poo poo is the bee's tits

Sonofabitch, you must be doing something right!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Three Olives posted:

K cups huh? I would’ve figured you for a nesspresso guy. I guess you’re more of a humble salt of the earth type than I realized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Three Olives posted:

You at least get 4 days for Christmas and New Years, right?

I get New Years and Christmas off.