Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
joe's rules

costco drools

aldi also rules

costco is actually okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

did you like that one quest in fallout 3 where you had to go to the super duper mart to scavenge for food? and you took the quest too early so you spent 3 hours getting worked over by the local wasteland toughs? well boy oh boy does the aesthetic and staff of your local aldi's have a surprise for you

aldi's. aldi's never changes.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Genesplicer posted:

I've liked things from Trader Joe's, but I've learned not to really like things from there, because every time I really like something, it gets discontinued. Every single time.
I too have the touch of discontinuation.

Cheeseless pizza? Gone.
Eggplant curry in a bag? Gone.
Some kind of salt-and-vinegar puffed-corn-chip-stick-things? Gone.
Marshmallows? Replaced with worse small marshmallows.
Small marshmallows? Gone.
Pop-rock chocolate? Gone.

They say the marshmallows are a seasonal thing, which is weird as hell it's not like they have a short shelf-life or anything, just have some all the time you jackasses.

The only thing I go to TJs for that hasn't been discontinued (yet) is the vegetable gyozas. I guess the raw cashews are relatively reasonable there too. I also like their fresh focaccia, but I haven't seen that in a while so that's probably gone too.

Edit: I realize marshmallows seems like a weird thing to be annoyed by since marshmallows are everywhere - most marshmallows have gelatin in them, and TJ's don't.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

The produce is some of the worst I've ever had. Rock hard, tasteless, worse than Albertsons. However, their salsas are good, their corn tortillas are amazing (no guar gum / xanthan crap) and their Everything But The Bagel seasoning goes on everything I eat and I consider it essential for being alive, now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
They got rid of the northern cherry crumble pie. Sad as hell that day.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
their meat and produce sucks massive rear end. its incredible.

the company survives off stupid hipster cliches and frozen bags of various poo poo

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

they have good store brand bread and peanut butter and corn tortilla chips, esp for the price. i'm boring, but content.

e: some good rear end sardines for the price too

Chinatown posted:

this, just skip that entire quarter of the store.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

e: some good rear end sardines for the price too

I am sardine-curious, are they really fishy or are they savory?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chinatown posted:

the company survives off stupid hipster cliches and frozen bags of various poo poo
produce is definitely garbage bad but safeway is more expensive overpriced trash fire, but that's not a ringing endorsement because safeway is one of the worst grocery stores of all time.

their meat is... solidly mediocre and a bit overpriced. i think their deli meats like salami and pastrami are good, and i like their brats, hot dogs, and black forest turkey bacon--those are reasonable. the actual straight up meats are a bit too pricy for what they are though.

their cheese selection on the other hand is pretty nice and way cheaper than the competition--i like getting cheese there. when they have halloumi in the summer, it's like $5 compared to the same thing at safeway or whole foods for $10.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Genesplicer posted:

I've liked things from Trader Joe's, but I've learned not to really like things from there, because every time I really like something, it gets discontinued. Every single time.
Costco does that too sometimes and it sucks but at least it's not as bad. rip aronia berry juice, perogies, and tickler haberano cheddar

I do appreciate Trader Joes constantly has changing new stuff but man it does blow when your favorite poo poo goes away forever. At least sometimes it's just seasonal. tbf my memory is garbage now so I usually forget what some of my favorite stuff was that's no longer there--probably for the best.

roomforthetuna posted:

I too have the touch of discontinuation.

Cheeseless pizza? Gone.
Eggplant curry in a bag? Gone.
Some kind of salt-and-vinegar puffed-corn-chip-stick-things? Gone.
Marshmallows? Replaced with worse small marshmallows.
Small marshmallows? Gone.
Pop-rock chocolate? Gone.

The pop rock chocolate is a summer item, you can usually find it around 4th of july iirc. firework chocolate or something i think.
the marshmellows were legit good and vegan. you're talking about those square ones right? they were great because we have a few vegan friends so these worked great for smores. iirc they might be a summer item.
they do have fresh focaccia though at least last i checked but i didn't really like it.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 11, 2019

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

these are loving delicious, they're not QUITE as good as the real deal but they're way better than $3 white-people-made frozen soup dumplings have any right to be.

also their fruit bars (blueberry, fig, apple, etc) are best-in-class

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Trader Joe's has good deals on frozen fruits for smoothies, some high quality deli selections and that's all I use it for.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Linux Pirate posted:

I am sardine-curious, are they really fishy or are they savory?
I get the ones in the purple tins and, relative to King Oscar's brislings, they are larger, chewier, fishier and have the spines intact. The nicer, more expensive ones in olive oil are more mild and probably more classy, but the purple tin ones are my go-to.

If you're sardine-curious, start with King Oscar brislings or Tiny Tots. Bumblebee will slap the KO label on a lower grade of sardine sometimes, so check where they're caught.

Discontinuation woes: Trader Joes discontinued the sardines in harissa years ago and I'm still mad.

Crackwhore Barrel
Mar 10, 2012

Do not be mislead by false idols, my brothers.
PBUC

Dried mangoes, canned dolmas and Jamaican coffee are p good tho. Omg also the tea tree tingle condish

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Every time I go to the Brooklyn trader joe the checkout line is snaked around the outer aisles and is close to doubling up on itself.

This must be why people with TJ bags on the subway always look so miserable, they doubled the time it took to get home in exchange for boxed curry

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Is this like the Costco thread but for all the riff-raff?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Is Trader Joes the American version of Aldi? If so it’s actually not too bad

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Chrs Gry posted:

Aldi is the American version of Aldi. Trader Joe's is like Costco but more like European Metro /Selgros

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Their frozen pizzas are pretty good, especially that one with the Kalamata olives

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Chrs Gry posted:

There are two very similar companies called Aldi. The two brothers who founded Aldi split it into Aldi North and Aldi South. One of the two bought Trader Joe's, the other operates as Aldi in the U.S.

So Trader Joe's is Aldi, but has nothing to do with the other Aldi.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
the PBUC catchphrase/circle jerk is so loving lame.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i like the frozen french onion soup they sell.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Only a few things worth getting at TJ's -

- cheese
- those tiny ice cream cones
- chips and other junk food
- seasonal cookies

People like to rave about the orange chicken, but it's poo poo. Small bits of chicken and heavy breading. The Costco one is superior in every way.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
You can get that orange chicken at any grocery store. I'm sure it all comes from the same gross chicken dissassembly factory anyways.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The Dregs posted:

the PBUC catchphrase/circle jerk is so loving lame.

Them’s fighting words. Costco is sacred. Let us peaceably enjoy good products from good places in harmony and joy.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I shop at aldi cause I'm a poor

Aldi gets knockoff stroopwaffles for the Christmas season and its a crime that they're not available year round.

They had one of the best non-dairy ice creams I've ever had too

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 11, 2019

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SeXReX posted:

I shop at aldi cause I'm a poor

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

These are pretty good if you want to eat weird squid-looking flowers that taste like cranberries.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

come on down to aldis where we dont even loving stock the shelves half the time. just go right up to the pallet and swipe your offbrand pringles right off the top of it. gently caress, just take the whole box! its only 3 dollars!

aldi's: everything must go!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The sign outside was defective and I thought it was TRADER JOs was very disappointed :(

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

aldi's is more afraid of its carts being stolen than the actual merchandise. you have to put a quarter in the cart to make it release from the cart corral. its like their loss prevention put all their energies into stopping bubbles from the trailer park boys instead of stopping actual thieves.

aldi's: smokes, boys. s'go

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Everything Bagel seasoning is godly. I wish it didn't have salt though, but it's still amazing.

Other awesome Trader Joe's stuff:

One of the very few good frozen pizzas out there!! :swoon:

Don't get me started on Trader Joe's snacks...

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 11, 2019

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

My ignorant great grandma once threw an adult hissy fit when she learned Aldi's carts take a quarter, and refused to go or even hear my mom out that a) you get it back and b) its a loving quarter, Rita

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

come on down to aldis where we dont even loving stock the shelves half the time. just go right up to the pallet and swipe your offbrand pringles right off the top of it. gently caress, just take the whole box! its only 3 dollars!

aldi's: everything must go!

Having empty cartons everywhere is nice cause they don't have baskets and sometimes i forget to bring a quarter.

I will also impulsively clean up the store a little if I see one of those carts they're filling with empty cartons, they should hire me tbh.

I love how the thing that caused aldi to split into 2 I Germany was cigarette sales lmao

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I bookmarked this thread for 'later use' if you catch my drift

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

aldi's is more afraid of its carts being stolen than the actual merchandise. you have to put a quarter in the cart to make it release from the cart corral. its like their loss prevention put all their energies into stopping bubbles from the trailer park boys instead of stopping actual thieves.

aldi's: smokes, boys. s'go

Its more about not having to pay someone to go out and corral them

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

SeXReX posted:

Its more about not having to pay someone to go out and corral them

thats a better slogan for aldis than what ive been making GBS threads out for the last two pages.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Trader Joe's has somehow decent Bourbon and Gin (the organic one) for under :20bux: The cans of wine are cheap too and too easy to drink. The candy is tasty and often unique like the already-posted dark chocolate peanut butter cups, and I recommend everyone try the three-ingredient peppermint patties (cocoa solids, creamed honey, mint oil). Also the Costwold cheese is fuckin fantastic and hardly cracks 6 dollars a wedge.

My dumber cat whines like an rear end in a top hat every day around dinnertime until she gets some wet food but the only wet food she'll eat is the garbage-tier tuna from TJs that's like 49cents a can and stinks bad. She goes nuts for it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I wish it didn't have salt though, but it's still amazing.

This statement can be applied to pretty much everything sold at TJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

aldi's was founded by arby's older brother who flunked out of meat school but was definitely one of those kids that sold bootleg candy in the 3rd grade

aldi's: i AM the manager

Aldis was founded by Trader Joe’s older brother, for real tho.