Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Been thinking of kickstarting a clock that instead of ticking plays a random monster death .wav from Doom every second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

jimmyjams posted:

what is a clock

A miserable pile of seconds

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is a good Quartz

I'm the sqashed giant cockroach with my legs sticking out from under the clock.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm the sqashed giant cockroach with my legs sticking out from under the clock.

It's a spider and it's not squashed https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=182

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is a good Quartz

7 hands!? This is a very advanced clock.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Lol that OP doesn’t know about the healing power of Quartz watches

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Just buy a smooth seconds Seiko instead of buying a ticking clock like a pleb.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I just keep one of these on my office desk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MmlViYNUC0&t=80s

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
It's a JO clock.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Oscar Wild posted:

It's a JO clock.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Reign Of Pain posted:

This is a good Quartz

gently caress THE OCEAN

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Icochet posted:

Been thinking of kickstarting a clock that instead of ticking plays a random monster death .wav from Doom every second.

On the quarter hour it plays the first four bars E1M1, at the half hour the first two, etc.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
crazy how clocks know the time. loving wild what chemistry can do

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

words to live by

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Linux Pirate posted:

clocks only work for humans because time is only relevant to us. Clocks have been adjusted to reflect this.

To a dog the perception of human time and clocks are meaningless. See my other post about this topic in the "Interesting Dog Facts" thread

Thanks for spoiling it for me, you fat, ugly jerk.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Speleothing posted:

How do you get bothered by ticking? The reassuring tick of a clock is one of the nicest sounds.

No doubt.
My grandparents had a very nice, old rectangular mantle clock they kept in their kitchen.
Between its noises and the sound of wood slowly burning and shifting in their woodstove at night you may as well have downed a bottle of sleeping pills.
My parents have the clock now and I'm making sure they take care of it.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Mechanical clicking is far more tolerable than something beeping, honking or playing a music alarm.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It's an inferior movement. Like the ones I have after reading another clock thread! Lol!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm Cuckoo for Cuckoo clocks.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Tick tock clocks are for chumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GDNV-eYaKU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Entorwellian posted:

Mechanical clicking is far more tolerable than something beeping, honking or playing a music alarm.

But a musical alarm is deliberately disruptive in order to alert you of a set time. The ticking is always, and without purpose. I don't need constant reassurance that time is still passing. If I want some sort of metronome like noise to set my pace to I will get one of those japanese bamboo fountains that fill up and bonk every few minutes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My clock just constantly plays music and is actually just a radio, I keep time by counting along beats to the music

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Entorwellian posted:

Oh my that is a profoundly stupid opinion

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
The sound of a ticking clock in a silent room is soothing like white noise.
I hear that it's more common that people can't read analogue clocks these days, so don't worry op it looks like ticking clocks are becoming a thing of the past.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
It is also a stark reminder of the inevitability of death which I have begun to appreciate more and more as time goes on.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I don't even acknowledge time anymore. I live forever in the moment. "Time?" They say. "What's that?" I reply. Like how I'm always simultaneously posting and not posting my horrible takes about this mortal coil.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

King of Bees posted:

I'm Cuckoo for Cuckoo clocks.

Nothing says success like having a Cuckoo clock on the wall of your office.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure the cuckoo clock was invented purely to anger people. The Swiss are notorious war profiteers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Kuato posted:

Another 5 star thread from op. Thank you, you have given me a lot to think about! Going hog wild now FYI

This is fake