Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

*grandma will not stop indulging the yelling, ill mannered children*

*son's foreign wife will not stop scowling*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

hayden. posted:

What's with all the bad tipping stories? Virtually every restaurant has required gratuity for parties bigger than 6.

This was not in effect where I worked!
I haven't done restaurant work in 15 years- if this is a thing GOOD
and its because of poo poo tips

Say the bill is 500 bucks
Waitress gets a 20 or 40
This 500 bucks in sales -- she is taxed on it- could make literally nothing

I cant imagine waitressing or bartending in one of those states where they get to pay you like 2 bucks an hour
gently caress THAT

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Julius CSAR posted:

The server has the option of not applying the grat if they think they’ll get a better tip out of it.

Always apply the grat

I would have , yea

And tbh, its the generous tippers that make it decent money.
Bartending is where its at anyway, unless its truly a high end place.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

*takes entire steam tray of mac and cheese from buffet to table, but not before dipping it in the chocolate fountain first*

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
*Does the waitress a favour and doesn't turn up*

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

*lets 5-year-old order for himself, a process that takes 10 minutes*

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Every fifteen minutes is another “Heyyyy!!! The gangs all here!!”

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Everyone’s happy and enjoying themselves. The workers are stressed and tired but still can’t help but smile at such a lovely family gathering at their establishment

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Shittalking my family members with the kitchen staff using the limited Spanish I know

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Heyyyy!!! The gangs all here!!

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Macnult posted:

Shittalking my family members with the kitchen staff using the limited Spanish I know

Western Washington was so white that our kitchen staff were all white felons on probation, work release, or alcoholics who got lucky and still had a job.

The beloved tiny tard dishwasher who won Employee of the Year (sounds stupid but it was 1000 bucks and is perhaps resume worthy?) reoffended a few months after he won... oh , so the guy I've been giving rides home when he misses the last bus is a convicted rapist?

Thanks work :thumbsup:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

guestimate posted:

Western Washington was so white that our kitchen staff were all white felons on probation, work release, or alcoholics who got lucky and still had a job.

The beloved tiny tard dishwasher who won Employee of the Year (sounds stupid but it was 1000 bucks and is perhaps resume worthy?) reoffended a few months after he won... oh , so the guy I've been giving rides home when he misses the last bus is a convicted rapist?

Thanks work :thumbsup:

Grats on being an accessory

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Grats on being an accessory

:haw:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Szyznyk posted:

The last time we did this, after my wife's grandmother's funeral, my in-laws made sure to have a select menu made to make sure none of the loser relatives tried to skive a surf-n-turf out of the deal.

When I was a kid on vacation, we'd have massive group dinners with like 30 people. Every time my grandpa would sternly inspect the bill at the end and demand to know who ordered the shrimp, the extra sides, the non-free refills, etc.

In retrospect I don't blame him because that must have been expensive as hell. I'd internalize my guilt and only order something under $10 without a drink while my brother ordered extra shrimp on his dish.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 9, 2019

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
“drat these cheddar biscuits are good”

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
quietly takes all the sausage chunks from the family size sausage rigatoni, everyone notices

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Hiw much is the buffet if I only want salad?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
What kind of place doesn’t at least have a loving club sandwich? Forget it, I’ll have bread. Thanks for the ruined night.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Elderly in law insists on “treating” large group to lunch after cemetery visit at a grocery store/deli with one overworked employee, complains of insufficient coffee refills as harried employee makes custom sandwiches for 90 minutes.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"Do you have hotdogs? Little Damian is going through a bit of a 'picky-eater phase'. Yes, I know that this is a high end Italian restaurant. Well could you maybe take some chicken breast, cut it into dinosaur shapes, bread them and deep fry them? No? Damian would Mac and cheese be ok? The Mac and cheese won't work I'm afraid. I suppose he'll get the shrimp primavera with the bruschetta, but I am not happy with your unwillingness to work with my Damien and that will be reflected in the tip."

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

hayden. posted:

What's with all the bad tipping stories? Virtually every restaurant has required gratuity for parties bigger than 6.
Not all places have those and without em I feel like groups in general are just super bad at tipping because cheapskates cannibalize the tip. Even in small groups or something I'll have like a 12 buck meal and throw in a 20 for my portion + a good tip and I'd say like 99% of the time someone at the table does some quick math, realizes there's more than enough money and tries to take some back for themselves before I have to argue for them that I'm leaving that extra cash intentionally as a tip and no that doesn't mean they get to pay less themselves.

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

MCKINLEIGH SIT DOWN

ANNSLEAH DONT TOUCH THAT

KEIGHLYNN IM GOING TO COUNT TO THREE

KRISTEFER YOURE NOT ALLOWED BACK THERE THATS THE KITCHEN ITS JUST FOR GROWNUPS, COME BACK HERE

*13 y/o Jaxynn wordlessly stares at his tablet throughout dinner, only occasionally looking away to pick up a chicken strip his mom ordered for him*

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

putting a stack of 10 $1 bills on the table and removing one each time the waitress fails to smile at my obese sons

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Senator Sprinkles posted:

MCKINLEIGH SIT DOWN

ANNSLEAH DONT TOUCH THAT

KEIGHLYNN IM GOING TO COUNT TO THREE

KRISTEFER YOURE NOT ALLOWED BACK THERE THATS THE KITCHEN ITS JUST FOR GROWNUPS, COME BACK HERE

*13 y/o Jaxynn wordlessly stares at his tablet throughout dinner, only occasionally looking away to pick up a chicken strip his mom ordered for him*

i see you've been to utah before

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

hayden. posted:

idk i tip a poo poo-ton every time no matter what, and when i was a server at a lovely place for kids i would come out making $400-$500/night on weekends when i was 16 back in 1999.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

idk i tip a poo poo-ton every time no matter what, and when i was a server at a lovely place for kids i would come out making $400-$500/night on weekends when i was 16 back in 1999.

Sorry lol ridiculous
Not possible
Not in US

Not tips- if the servers were systematically stealing covers at a buffet type place, then it could be this much yes

This went on at our Sunday Brunch for years and the server took home 5 or 6 hundred
But a 16 year old server nah

guestimate fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 9, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

guestimate posted:

Sorry lol ridiculous
Not possible
Not in US

i'd get tipped like $100 straight up per party.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i'd get tipped like $100 straight up per party.

Only server so that 100 not split
4 or 5 big parties a night

Quite impressive

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
4 or 5 parties. it was decent, idk. i smelled like flour all the time and that sucked.

sometimes a football player would come in and give $200 before the party even started.

i hustled hard but def a lovely job.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
*lives in a boring city and eats at restaurants that have party rooms*

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

guestimate posted:

This was not in effect where I worked!
I haven't done restaurant work in 15 years- if this is a thing GOOD
and its because of poo poo tips

Say the bill is 500 bucks
Waitress gets a 20 or 40
This 500 bucks in sales -- she is taxed on it- could make literally nothing

I cant imagine waitressing or bartending in one of those states where they get to pay you like 2 bucks an hour
gently caress THAT

Yeah, it's standard practice for a while.

If you ever chose to forgo auto gratuity for a potentially larger tip, or work for a place that pays less then minimum wage that's offset by potential tips, you're a goddamn idiot and a chump. That's like playing slots for your paycheck

Just work lovely retail at that point, at least that guarantees an actual wage

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

guestimate posted:

Only server so that 100 not split
4 or 5 big parties a night

Quite impressive

also would you be shocked that i got tuition reimbursement from the place i worked? i had quite a bit of my community college credits paid back to me through the company.

mike illitch built quite the empire in the detroit area.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Are there a lot of goons who work serving, I would have figured that was too exoverted for a bunch of 30something nerdos who need to vent about how little Khaleesi spilled horseradish on their one pair of Haggars

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Serving and bar tending attracts losers of all calibers friendo.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

also would you be shocked that i got tuition reimbursement from the place i worked? i had quite a bit of my community college credits paid back to me through the company.

mike illitch built quite the empire in the detroit area.

Nice and yes shocked.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
When I was in high school my lovely retail job offered scholarship but it disappeared by the time I graduated lmao

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

i'm the 2-3 hd tv's mounted near the ceiling tuned to sd channels playing sporting events in fun house mirror letterbox format

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Hey, stop talking about how hard it was working in a restaurant, we're all here just to celebrate Great Grandad's 105th birthday.

CAN I GET ANOTHER ORDER OF CHEESE STICKS? CAN I GET RANCH INSTEAD OF MARINARA?

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Telebite posted:

i'm the 2-3 hd tv's mounted near the ceiling tuned to sd channels playing sporting events in fun house mirror letterbox format

The closed captioning doesn't know certain words; like dietary or shaquille o'neal.

Michael bublés greatest hits is on shuffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Head of the family orders 1 dish per person plus 1 extra of the most popular dishes for every five people.

Every meal is flawless