Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
Movies to watch on halloween

Earthlings
Dominion

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

sporklift posted:

I saw Tigers Are Not Afraid. It's a Mexican film about a group of orphans trying to find out what happened to their parents. There is some some supernatural elements sprinkled in. It's pretty unflinching in its depictions of cartel violence.

I just signed up for a free trial of Shudder so I'm hoping to get some good recommendations from this thread.

So far this Critters TV show, garbage.
The Ranger, pretty loving stupid. Kinda a bad generic 80's style kids getting picked off in the woods flick.

Looking forward to:
Rewatching Mandy
Horror Noir documentary
Cut of the Dead
Hagazussa
and I have a soft spot for 70's shlock, of which there seems to be a decent amount.
Hagazussa is good if you liked The VVitch but thought it was a little too fast-paced and upbeat

I'm pretty sure I've made this joke before but nobody has seen Hagazussa so it never lands

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Original Spanish [REC] was good.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Bug op

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Hereditary (2018) and Midsommar (2019) were both really good for gory and unsettling horror, I'll be keeping an eye on anything else Ari Astor does. Midsommar kind of feels like it had a ton of material cut though because there are some significant feeling plot threads that are just dropped.

Also Sinister from 2012 was really great. I love found footage in horror but it gets exhausting to me when the entire movie is shot that way. Sinister has just enough to create that same unsettling tension without feeling like a gimmick.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Theatre of Blood is one of my all time favourites and definitely my favourite slasher-like horror.

It has inventive and cruelly ironic kills, a perfect balance of dark humour, camp and real horror moments and Vincent Price gets to ham it up to his hearts delight as an insane Shakespearean actor who murders people.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Witchfinder General, a British horror-western set in East Anglia during the English Civil War. Get the version with as much restored footage as you can.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
For a real scare turn your monitor... to whatever program you use to watch films and watch The Borderlands sometimes known as "Final Prayer". The Vatican send a priest and a tech-guy to a small church in the middle of nowhere Scotland in order to verify (but more likely to debunk) a haunting.

Although it's a found footage film (and includes one obvious, but character driven jump scare) the movie is soaked with tension, atmosphere and dread. The two leads have fantastic chemistry and are constantly at odds with the locals (and the land itself) as they film and document the site of the supernatural activity. Mark Kermode said he was desperate for a breather in the final act when things escalate and he's a massive horror snob.

Speaking of the end, I'd implore anyone who's interested in the film to avoid the trailers and to really settle in and absorb everything that's presented to you. Everyone I've known who I've bullied into watching "another dumb found footage film" has ended up saying they just couldn't stop thinking about it for days after.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Sounds like a bit like The Last Exorcism which is also a found footage movie about debunking an exorcism. It was decent when I saw it years ago.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

They tried to make a scary movie but the "monsters" all turned out to be loving adorable

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the greatest horror movie I've ever seen. It's horrible, grimy, gory and just awful.

The scene where Pam goes into the house looking for her idiot boyfriend, sees all kinds of horrors, then tries to run out right as Leatherface comes out of his room :gonk:

and then everything that happens right after...ugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okyEJXoMHBg

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
It 2 was pretty good imho.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

When I first saw TCM I was really surprised at the lack of blood. It doesn't detract from the atmosphere, which is amazingly oppressive.
Wikipedia says Hooper was going for a PG rating which lmao if true, but it is amazing how big a controversy the movie was. It was banned for many years in the UK and only released uncut in 1999

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

bitterandtwisted posted:

When I first saw TCM I was really surprised at the lack of blood. It doesn't detract from the atmosphere, which is amazingly oppressive.
Wikipedia says Hooper was going for a PG rating which lmao if true, but it is amazing how big a controversy the movie was. It was banned for many years in the UK and only released uncut in 1999

It's one of the only horror movies to ever give me nightmares.

and also it sticks in the back of my mind any time I'm driving out in the middle of nowhere.

backwoods cannibals are maybe my biggest fear

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I finally saw The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and expected it to be this low budget sort of thing, but wasn't really expecting something so creepy and unnerving. A lot of it is that it's amazingly well-shot and edited, not to mention colorful (though, I did see it via the Blu-ray from the 4K restoration).

Let's also talk about Roger Corman, specifically his 60s adaptations of Edgar Allan Poe stories.

The Fall of the House of Usher is a super-important film in that after making tons of cheap B&W Z-movies, Corman pushed American International to double the budget on this film so he could shoot in color and in CinemaScope. A great adaptation of the Poe story, headlined by a creepy performance by Vincent Price as Roderick Usher. There's nothing wasted in terms of time or mood, plus there's even a trippy nightmare scene.

Pit and the Pendulum is also creepy, with another great part with Price and some good body horror thrown in.

The Raven is a surprise because it's done as a comedy starring Price, as well as Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, and... Jack Nicholson and Hazel Court. It's really funny, especially because there's a lot of scenes with Price, Lorre, and Nicholson clearly improvising for minutes and acting off each other

Masque of Red Death - By far the best of the Corman/Poe/Price films. Re-using sets leftover from the film of Becket and with Nicolas Roeg behind the camera (!), it's amazingly creepy and trippy-looking.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
annual dumb baby question: I'm always looking for movies that are Halloweeny/spooky without actually being horror or gory or uhh...scary

This is for me, a fully adult dumb baby, so not like Daniel Tiger's Halloween. I'm thinking like The Addams Family, The Craft, I was fine with Get Out, along those lines. The goal is to get fun Halloween vibes and maybe be a little spooked, but without having nightmares for weeks

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Anne Whateley posted:

annual dumb baby question: I'm always looking for movies that are Halloweeny/spooky without actually being horror or gory or uhh...scary

This is for me, a fully adult dumb baby, so not like Daniel Tiger's Halloween. I'm thinking like The Addams Family, The Craft, I was fine with Get Out, along those lines. The goal is to get fun Halloween vibes and maybe be a little spooked, but without having nightmares for weeks

https://www.criterion.com/films/27523-house

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I watched a pretty good youtube video about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Rc3NyES20

Hooper was really careful not to show much blood or violence on screen, almost like a cable tv edit
but since he was shooting with that intention, instead of cutting around it, he filmed around it, and he did so by centering the atmosphere and the human emotional responses, and the result was actually more horrifying and disturbing
people walk away from it thinking they've seen much worse than they actually have because your mind fills in the blanks and what it does show you is so grimy and unsettling

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

Monster Squad, Hocus Pocus, The Gate, ParaNorman, Coraline, Ghostbusters, Gremlins

e: Coraline and Gremlins are not Halloween movies and they do not take place at Halloween but they are fun spook-em-ups

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

The Raven is a surprise because it's done as a comedy starring Price, as well as Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, and... Jack Nicholson and Hazel Court. It's really funny, especially because there's a lot of scenes with Price, Lorre, and Nicholson clearly improvising for minutes and acting off each other

Masque of Red Death - By far the best of the Corman/Poe/Price films. Re-using sets leftover from the film of Becket and with Nicolas Roeg behind the camera (!), it's amazingly creepy and trippy-looking.

I read Masque recently and was surprised to find the coloured rooms thing came from the original short story. Corman clearly had a great affection for Poe’s work.

I knew Nicholson was in Raven, but did not recognise him at all. Only his voice gave him away. The guy was dreamy in his youth.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my favorite horror movie of all time. There is so much that it does right.

Here are my recommends that haven't been listed yet:

Rosemary's Baby - best movie about Satan ever
The Ninth Gate - not the best movie about Satan ever
The Blackcoat's Daughter - not that great, but has a perfectly oppressive mood throughout
The House of the Devil - retro-80's Satanic cult movie
Angel Heart - terrifying voodoo and Satan movie with the funniest ending ever
A Dark Song - underrated and underviewed movie about a very long magic ritual
Phantasm - dreamlike horror done right - cheesy but awesome
Jacob's Ladder - so many modern horror movies owe all of their visuals to this one
The Stuff - killer yogurt
nu-Suspiria - possibly better than the original
The Void - pretty good Lovecraftian horror
In The Mouth of Madness - very good Lovecraftian horror
You're Next - home invasion slasher
Resolution - starts as a movie about a man helping his friend get clean - goes elsewhere
The Endless - pseudo-sequel to the above about two brothers who decide to visit the Heaven's Gate inspired cult they left

And finally, the scariest horror movie of all time: The Big Short.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Dead Silence was pretty creepy the first time I saw it. Now, who's the dummy?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Tales from the Crypt might scratch that itch, its a good campy macabre

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Poltergeist
Spielberg and Tobe Hooper (the texas chainsaw guy) were behind it but it's definitely more Spielberg in tone and the horror elements are Indiana Jones level.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

ooh, seconding Poltergeist
drat good movie

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ghost 1990 is pretty neat in the sense that it's from the perspective of a newly dead ghost learning his spectral powers, it's not really about scary spooks at all

plus there's that famous swayze/moore pottery turning wheel scene :v:

beetlejuice kinda has a similar premise but it's more comedy than anything

Cubone posted:

ooh, seconding Poltergeist
drat good movie

poltergeist has some mild spooks in it but it's, like, much more about the wonder of the supernatural? it's a fun angle anyway

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hard counter posted:

ghost 1990 is pretty neat in the sense that it's from the perspective of a newly dead ghost learning his spectral powers, it's not really about scary spooks at all

plus there's that famous swayze/moore pottery turning wheel scene :v:

beetlejuice kinda has a similar premise but it's more comedy than anything

poltergeist has some mild spooks in it but it's, like, much more about the wonder of the supernatural? it's a fun angle anyway

There's a strong Close Encounters element, but I'd definitely call it a spooky movie. Skellingtons pop out and go boo.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Poltergeist has a decent chance of lingering in your brain and giving you a spook the next time you're home alone.

For more horror-lite I'd suggest
Little Shop of Horrors
Young Frankenstein
Edward Scissorhands
(technically a Christmas movie)

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Gonna throw a party and watch From Beyond for the first time, and then finish off the night with Overlord. You really can't go wrong with Lovecraft or Nazi zombies.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Dazerbeams posted:

Gonna throw a party and watch From Beyond for the first time, and then finish off the night with Overlord. You really can't go wrong with Lovecraft or Nazi zombies.

You have to include Return of the Living Dead if you want to party

Where's the party? Who wants to party? It's party time.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i guess it's a matter of taste, if you watch a lot of horror poltergeist'll seem quaint and wondrous, but if your stomach is a little weaker it'll probably be an out and out spooky film ... i think if you can tolerate get out poltergeist should be alright

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Dazerbeams posted:

Don't forget Re-Animator, one of the most excellent movies of our times.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I actually watched that one privately with my husband! Loved it and love Jeffrey Combs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
fwiw, I watched Get Out with friends who had already seen it, so there were a couple moments where they told me to look away, which I'm guessing was a good call. If Poltergeist has jump scares, that's prob a no for me

Thank all of you guys, these suggestions look rad! I'm really looking forward to doing Halloween movies in October.

Also thank you for, miraculously, nobody being like "A Serbian Film is just like The Addams Family, but with a really funny twist so make sure not to look up spoilers!!!"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It Comes At Night feels like a mix of It Follows and The Road.
Not as good as either but certainly worth your time.

Midsommar is maybe my favorite movie of the year. I wish I didn't know that it's loving 3 hours long going into it.
Extremely good movie to being your boyfriend to.

For fun movies: Cabin in The Woods, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil and You Might Be The Murderer.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I haven't seen The Boy mentioned here. It has the spooky suspense and weirdness. I really liked it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3882082/

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Evolution (2015) is more what I would call "weird" than straight horror but it's got a good Lovecraftian streak and I liked it a lot.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Predator is a horror movie.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Predator is a horror movie.

Terminator is a horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild