Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think that while Shovel Knight is definitely the best and cleanest game overall, Plague Of Shadows is my favorite, and I think the story has a lot to do with that. Spectre of Torment is really angsts overall, and while King of Cards is fun, King Knight is a shallow jerkass manchild (which is fun in its own way, because it’s a prequel, means he doesn’t really get to advance as a character like Plague Knight does. Obviously the side story approach couldn’t possibly work for all of them, but I like the story formula more than the prequels.

I do wish that we’d got Propellor Knight’s campaign, I think it would’ve been a lot of fun in a similar vein as Plague of Shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was the result of kickstarter stretch goals, right? It's pretty weird otherwise to just keep making new content for a game long past the release with no extra charge. If they hadn't wound up making one of the best games of all time that would just keep selling as they kept porting it, then they probably would've wound up in financial trouble by now.

I do really like a lot of the new things they made, but I've been wondering for a while whether they could've made something better if they just moved on from Shovel Knight 'n' pals, like what the opportunity cost was, since while the later campaigns are still good, there's a bit of stiffness or jank from fitting new plots and mechanics into a system and series of characters never planned to be used like that, and since Shovel Knight was so good starting from fresh, I just wonder what they could do starting afresh again.

They certainly would've made more money.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was the result of kickstarter stretch goals, right? It's pretty weird otherwise to just keep making new content for a game long past the release with no extra charge. If they hadn't wound up making one of the best games of all time that would just keep selling as they kept porting it, then they probably would've wound up in financial trouble by now.

I do really like a lot of the new things they made, but I've been wondering for a while whether they could've made something better if they just moved on from Shovel Knight 'n' pals, like what the opportunity cost was, since while the later campaigns are still good, there's a bit of stiffness or jank from fitting new plots and mechanics into a system and series of characters never planned to be used like that, and since Shovel Knight was so good starting from fresh, I just wonder what they could do starting afresh again.

Pretty much. As initially described in the Kickstarter stretch goals, the playable knights weren't supposed to be much more than character swaps with some slightly changed dialogue and story. Them being full campaigns ended up being the result of Yacht Club wanting to go further beyond, and sheer scope creep that trapped them in developing for Shovel Knight for 5 more years.

Plague Knight going from a character swap to a full on campaign set the bar too high for Specter and King Knight's campaigns to be something like that as well. Then Specter Knight basically being an entirely new game instead of a remix set the bar even further. They tried to downplay that by making Shovel Knight and Plague Knight, then Specter and King Knight pairs in terms of gameplay structure to cut down on development time, but gave up on making King Knight a remix since Specter Knight's skillset was way too specific, and his levels revolved around that too much, and King Knight was too different gameplaywise to settle for being a remix.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 24, 2019

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I do wish that we’d got Propellor Knight’s campaign, I think it would’ve been a lot of fun in a similar vein as Plague of Shadows.

I always thought it was silly that they had people vote on the character campaigns so early on - I want to say they hadn't even designed all the characters at that point, let alone released the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I always thought it was silly that they had people vote on the character campaigns so early on - I want to say they hadn't even designed all the characters at that point, let alone released the game.

Yeah, when the poll started, only Plague, King and Specter were done. Wasn't much of a competition.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

"Keep your stretch goals reasonable" was one of the big lessons from all those early kickstarters. I think all the big early kickstarter games hit some kind of trouble.

I think what's most disappointing to me about the ending of King Knight is that I really want to know what happens after Shovel Knight. Do King Knight's mom and King Pridemore get together? What does his mom think of him? The final boss was more of a pain than in the other campaigns too, and plot-wise, it's pretty glaring that if Joustus was meant to gather into one place, the Troupple king isn't actually there, just one of his followers.

Specter of Torment has some real tonal issues, but in a way, that just makes it even more of a Sonic game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I dont think SoT had tonal issues and it's the only one where the character had to develop to succeed in his own way (the plague knight gag is that he already had everything he could ever want from the start of the game). It's not a "happy" ending but he does the right thing.

My only SoT issue is what exactly donovan is doing during that arm swinging animation that ends up killing his friend - I think it was a push but it looks a lot like a stab

The two knights I would have liked to see more of are treasure and propellor. Tinker, Mole, and Polar I dont really care about.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do King Knight's mom and King Pridemore get together?
100% yes.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 24, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Kickstarter back then was basically the wild west. Both the starters and the backers learned quite a few lessons from those days.

As much as it sucks that we can't see more of the knights given how good of a job Yacht Club did with the expansions, I'm pretty fine with the knights we did get in the vote. Any more and they're basically gonna be never free from Shovel Knight.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think what's most disappointing to me about the ending of King Knight is that I really want to know what happens after Shovel Knight. Do King Knight's mom and King Pridemore get together? What does his mom think of him? The final boss was more of a pain than in the other campaigns too, and plot-wise, it's pretty glaring that if Joustus was meant to gather into one place, the Troupple king isn't actually there, just one of his followers.

Only one of them was actually a king. The Birder King was just a ruse the Enchantress set up, and after you free him he says he's not a king at all.

What happens after the events of Shovel Knight would probably be saved for a sequel or something, which Yacht Club has expressed an interest in doing. (Not sure what exactly Shovel Knight Dig counts as though.) I guess that's why the expansions were either side stories or prequels.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

No Wave posted:

The two knights I would have liked to see more of are treasure and propellor. Tinker, Mole, and Polar I dont really care about.

Those would’ve been two of my votes at the time, along with King Knight—I remember I only found out about it after the Kickstarter had wrapped up but I didn’t realize the vote had already happened until someone told me (Mr. Hat may as well have been my backer reward though, I sort of consider him as such.

They both have an obvious mechanical hook—flight and the literal hook shot, and they’ve both got personalities that would be kind of fun to explore. Propeller Knight has the added bonus of being relatively close to being the right size—getting Polar Knight to a playable size would just feel wrong. I kind of feel like if Yacht Club were somehow forced to do one more Knight game, he’d be their choice.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Propeller does seem like the most popular fourth choice. I see a lot of people disappointed we didn't get him instead of King Knight. I agreed with them until I actually played King of Cards and ended up loving King Knight's playstyle (though I think Propeller would have been superior from a story/character perspective).

Edit: The devs had said they want to come back to Shovel Knight after doing other things so I'm hoping we get more stuff from/about some of the other knights in whatever the followup is (though I wouldn't be surprised if we got a completely new set, as I imagine they'd want to make some big changes and make it a significant upgrade).

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 27, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think they could find something fun to do with Tinker Knight, although he lacks personality. Propeller Knight has a fun personality, but his abilities need to be greatly reined in to get some good platforming going. Treasure Knight could maybe get some hookshot action going.

With Polar Knight and Dark Knight I'm interested in their history with Shovel Knight, but otherwise they don't have much to offer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The one campaign I wanted was Shield Knight

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Dig is a sequel.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Propeller Knight has a fun personality, but his abilities need to be greatly reined in to get some good platforming going.

They could just make Propeller Knight's campaign an auto-scrolling bullet-hell game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Dig is a sequel.

It's a sidequel. It's mostly being made by the other team.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

King of cards is so goddamn good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah it's pretty amazing how KoC on its own would be a pretty goddamn excellent platformer and it's just part of the whole collection.

I feel kinda bad for them on their next game because honestly Shovel Knight set the bar absurdly high, especially when you consider that it was a Kickstarter game that not only succeeded but succeeded above and beyond what even non-Kickstarter games do.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Inu posted:

They could just make Propeller Knight's campaign an auto-scrolling bullet-hell game.

Do it like Downwell!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah it's pretty amazing how KoC on its own would be a pretty goddamn excellent platformer and it's just part of the whole collection.

I feel kinda bad for them on their next game because honestly Shovel Knight set the bar absurdly high, especially when you consider that it was a Kickstarter game that not only succeeded but succeeded above and beyond what even non-Kickstarter games do.

Yeah but otoh Shovel Knight X

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah but otoh Shovel Knight X

I would happily buy Shovel Knight X or Shovel Knight 64, but I am quite content to play something entirely new from them in the meantime.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A true Shovel Knight 64 would have the potential to be amazing, but also potentially sink the entire franchise from obtuse mechanics from having to reinvent everything from scratch to work in 3D.

That was a weird time in videogames. We take twin-stick movement + camera for granted now, but it was rough when everybody was figuring things out for the first time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Isn’t Shovel Knight already getting a sequel next year? Or does Dig not count for some reason?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Isn’t Shovel Knight already getting a sequel next year? Or does Dig not count for some reason?

Dig is being done by a different team.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Dig is being done by a different team.

Ah, well hopefully it’ll be decent regardless though. Speaking of which, do we have a release date for that yet?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

After seeing a Shovel Knight Showdown showcase video, now the characters who I want to see get their own campaigns are Goldarmor and Liquid Samurai.

Also, dang the opening to the Spectre of Torment remix of Clockwork Tower sounds great. It's still weird that they left music collection out of that campaign.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

The Steam version includes soundtracks for all four campaigns, are they missing on other platforms?.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, that's new, last time I checked, the music from the new campaigns wasn't included as part of the soundtrack in the Steam files.

But what I meant was, they didn't include finding sheets of music in-game as a collectable to be played by somebody like the bard or the tuba creature. That really gives it a nice showcase.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just need two more character-specific Showdown achievements, then I'll be one of the 0% of players who have every Treasure Trove achievement on Steam! I've been scumming most of these with one controller and a keyboard to control two players, and got lucky with some others against CPUs for the ones that require more players as I ground out the Chester's Choice achievements. I used Reize for the achievements for finishing Story Mode on hard and scoring 100,000 points in Targets.

I need:
From Shadow! - As Black Knight, win the match by dodging a player and hitting them with a Dark Wave. (It seems you have to actually dodge an attack to get this instead of just do the move, but I can't figure it out)
Aerial Ace - As Propeller Knight, defeat 2 or more foes without touching the ground. (No luck. I don't think the fairy battles count)

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 13, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There was a nintendo direct Yacht Club Presents today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D4HDAYKrTo

Cyber Shadow trailer, new details about Shovel Knight Dig, tweaks to Showdown mode, a new game announcement, a tease about 2 new original IPs being worked on....

But who cares about that, loving :siren: MULTIPLAYER JOUSTUS!!!! :siren:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apart from Dig (which seems to be coming out some time next year), another Shovel Knight game called Pocket Dungeon was announced a little while back:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RcfQaOvgOG0

More information: https://yachtclubgames.com/shovel-knight-pocket-dungeon/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pocket Dungeon is out and I'm enjoying it a lot even tho I don't really understand how relics work. I recommend playing on Infinite, the penalty for dying is harsh enough that I didn't really need the one hit kill thing to make me feel pressured.