Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

zaepg posted:

Important states = y
Not important = n

8. Delaware y

I'm gonna need to see the math on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this is a curtain at the bomhard theatre in louisville, which is one of my favorite places to perform. i forget what show they built this thing for but its been up for at least five years i think they still use it for some festival.

some outdoor theatre setup in the park in louisville, looks cool

first day of spring (in like 2017 i think?) in Old Louisville

being a tourist

morning in east market district, louisville

somewhere near lexington

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 20, 2019

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
Grew up in Paducah. Moved to Atlanta after college. Reading the comments section of my hometown newschannel’s Facebook feed makes me laugh and cry simultaneously. You can guarantee there will be 200+ comments for anything related to Trump but less than 5 comments on anything that actually impacts the local community.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yes we’re barefoot in KY, it’s because we lost our boots putting them up the asses of people who ask that

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

fr0id posted:

Yes we’re barefoot in KY, it’s because we lost our boots putting them up the asses of people who ask that

I knew a guy who actually would go barefoot everywhere he was allowed to specifically because it annoyed people and pissed them off. At the time I was annoyed at him too for perpetuating that stereotype but now I admire his masterful Kentucky trolling.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Kentucky pros:

• No statewide indoor smoking ban
  • Bourbon (and Copper & Kings in Louisville)
  • Constitutional carry

Kentucky cons:

• Both North-South interstates run around the edges of the state, making traveling through it take a while
  • Lots of dry and moist counties
  • They keep bumping up the liquor excise tax so now half of the stuff is more expensive than it is in Ohio

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

[*] Both North-South interstates run around the edges of the state, making traveling through it take a while

it is a beautiful drive though. i dont enjoy driving in most of the south but Kentucky and Tennessee are great

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Where have people had good hot brown? I like greyhound tavern in northern KY.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Wheeler owns

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
in the 18 years i've spent here i have learned and enjoyed very little

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Choom Gangster posted:

It's pronounced Luh-vuhl

I thought it was loovull. Oh no

I have been to Kentucky several times, once I went to the Jim Beam distillery and that was fun.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fr0id posted:

Old Talbott Tavern in Bardstown is p good.

Comedy option: no such thing as a "good" hot brown.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Choom Gangster posted:

It's pronounced Luh-vuhl

Dixville posted:

I thought it was loovull. Oh no

these are the accepted pronunciations according to the place where you go to get a free tshirt for drinking bourbon in a minimum of six different bars

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I went to a derby/lowkey-antebellum themed wedding in KY and that's my KY story

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Earwicker posted:

these are the accepted pronunciations according to the place where you go to get a free tshirt for drinking bourbon in a minimum of six different bars

Dang I should have done that while I was there. Maybe I'll go back one day...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dixville posted:

Dang I should have done that while I was there. Maybe I'll go back one day...

Zipline in the mega cavern when youre drunk enough. Its like 70 dollars but its two hours and I have yet to meet someone who didnt think it was worth it

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Zipline in the mega cavern when youre drunk enough. Its like 70 dollars but its two hours and I have yet to meet someone who didnt think it was worth it

I've been to the caverns in Tennessee but there was no such zipline. Clearly I picked the wrong cavern.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

items for sale at a gas station near horse cave

near franklin i think

berea, a region named after legendary soviet deathdealer Лавре́нтий Па́влович Бе́рия

state line, jelico tn in foreground ky in background

near upton

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I lived in Louisville for a long time and it’s three syllables, but you have to so make the middle one less really short, no clue what the appropriate punctuation is but just act like you have no front teeth and get through three syllables quickly and you’re good.

Also I loved Louisville but there’s no snow where I live now. And I was living in the ville when Lamar was progressing from freshman quarterback to heisman winner and seeing him wreck the nfl is lol

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Empty Sandwich posted:

my gf's house is in the Highlands so there are like a bunch of bars in immediate staggering distance, and lots of restaurants and a few interesting stores. I'd never lived in a city, so I dug it.

They should open up Ear-X-tacy again because I think it would thrive now. Doo Wop Shop, Great Escape, and the Twig and Leaf are staples of that area. It struggled for a bit when 4th street live opened but it's a great place to just walk and people watch. I still can't believe that Phoenix Hill is gone.

Anyone else old enough to remember the Toy Tiger? I played there about 4 or 5 times. I also went the first Red Birds game in .....'82?

let it mellow posted:

I lived in Louisville for a long time and it’s three syllables, but you have to so make the middle one less really short, no clue what the appropriate punctuation is but just act like you have no front teeth and get through three syllables quickly and you’re good.

Yes, it's very hard to teach someone. You just have to grow up with it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Phoenix hill and ear x Stacy were both cool, I saw hank 3 at phoenix hill a long time ago lol

and there was a bar in the highlands that had a shitton of stages that also closed down, maybe it was actually on Baxter? That place was great

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

let it mellow posted:

and there was a bar in the highlands that had a shitton of stages that also closed down, maybe it was actually on Baxter? That place was great

I moved there right before it got demolished, but I never got to see it. it sounded cool as hell

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I wonder if the gas station knight helmet is a good seller.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I lived in Bowling Green my whole life but I was recently had to move for employment reasons. Got a good job in Cincinnati. Currently trying to close on a house in Northern Ky. While that is going on, I am living in an AirBnB that is above a Mexican grocery store and across the street from a strip club called "The Brass rear end".

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Kentucky seems like one of those places that has high poverty, low wages, and bad educational rankings

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Earwicker posted:

this is a curtain at the bomhard theatre in louisville, which is one of my favorite places to perform. i forget what show they built this thing for but its been up for at least five years i think they still use it for some festival.

some outdoor theatre setup in the park in louisville, looks cool

first day of spring (in like 2017 i think?) in Old Louisville

somewhere near lexington

These could be literally any state east of the Mississippi except maybe Florida.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

Kentucky seems like one of those places that has high poverty, low wages, and bad educational rankings

It is an American state yes

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Do it ironically posted:

You know when people talk about Appalachia with a really grim expression on their face?

They're talking about West Virginia or eastern Kentucky.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It is an American state yes

Why do bible belt state people talk like everywhere is like them around the country. Left, right, neutral, they all do this if they still live in the area and why?

I mean aside from staving off the implications of otherwise being true.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Woah, Colonel Sanders sure has a weak chin. I can see why he grew a beard.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

fr0id posted:

the best kentucky delicacies are Benedictine and Beer Cheese imo

KTs had really good hot brown but that closed down. Now you just have to make it yourself. Not that many places in Lou serve it even though its supposed to be our thing.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

deadking posted:

I'm gonna need to see the math on this one.

Listen. Someone's gotta standup to little
RI and Delaware getting picked on man.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Do it ironically posted:

Depends where you look, like anywhere

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone been to the Abe Lincoln birthplace? Maybe its going out of fashion just because its kind of corny and old-school but its pretty nuts. The local community raised money to build what's basically a replica of the lincoln memorial in DC. But then they realized that people just wanted to see the log cabin. But the log cabin had already been destroyed. So they built a replica of the log cabin and put it inside the lincoln memorial. There's a super bored Park ranger who just hangs out inside, reading mystery novels, handing out packets, and making sure you don't touch the fake log cabin.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

zaepg posted:

Listen. Someone's gotta standup to little
RI and Delaware getting picked on man.

RI doesn't get made fun of much really. They're probably the least mocked New England state.

Like Vermont is the hippies, NH is stuck up libertarians, Maine is yankee rednecks, Massholes are Massholes, Connecticut is the regional traitor and a prep etc
RI doesn't make anyone mad it seems.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
does anyone even know RI exists

naem
May 29, 2011

truly the ohio of the slightly south

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Grape posted:

Like Vermont is the hippies, NH is stuck up libertarians, Maine is yankee rednecks, Massholes are Massholes, Connecticut is the regional traitor and a prep etc
RI doesn't make anyone mad it seems.

its where Family Guy takes place thats enough to be ashamed of

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Theres one dude on the louisville subreddit whos made six different posts about foxes who come visit him at work in what appears to be the set of a post-apocalyptic film and I just want to thank him for his support in this trying time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

Kentucky’s the place where the governor likes to pardon kiddie fiddlers right

https://twitter.com/JessicaValenti/status/1207815175056896001?s=19