Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is it just dancing or do they do stunts and fighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

YeahTubaMike posted:

What exactly is bad about Shen Yun? I'm not particularly interested in seeing it, but still.

It's mediocre is all; the concept (traditional Chinese dance "saved" by the group from being lost forever* due to the Cultural Revolution) is super cool but the execution is lacking. There's a whole "hey the Chinese government is mercilessly persecuting us," component as well which is jarring and not really disclosed in the advertising at all. They ARE a cult. They also very likely have some 100% valid complaints about their treatment in mainland China (including possible organ harvesting). It's just a weird mess advertised as pleasant colorful Chinese dancing.

(*not lost, still a thing in China even)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

13Pandora13 posted:

It's mediocre is all; the concept (traditional Chinese dance "saved" by the group from being lost forever* due to the Cultural Revolution) is super cool but the execution is lacking. There's a whole "hey the Chinese government is mercilessly persecuting us," component as well which is jarring and not really disclosed in the advertising at all. They ARE a cult. They also very likely have some 100% valid complaints about their treatment in mainland China (including possible organ harvesting). It's just a weird mess advertised as pleasant colorful Chinese dancing.

(*not lost, still a thing in China even)

Ah...huh. :stare:

I see their ads on the trains every day, and the posters are pretty at least.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t know what Shen Yun is and I demand this thread tell me what it is instead of me looking it up for myself.

Riverdance from China

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Everybody in the thread just read this
https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1108277041210761216

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I gotta say that Shen Yun does appear to have a pretty sharp sense of fashion.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I'm really not into the performing arts, but Shen Yun looks pretty worth seeing, I'm gonna check it out, gently caress you, op.

Every time im in the car and pass a billboard I proclaim SHEN YUN, just like the commercial guy.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

interwhat posted:

Every time im in the car and pass a billboard I proclaim SHEN YUN, just like the commercial guy.

Hell same

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For the most part in my experience Falun Gong practitioners are your generic cult weirdos except they dont stockpile guns so Im glad their spending their freetime not polishing brass to put on a middling stage show.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
You have hurt the feelings of the Falun gong with this post

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ah...huh. :stare:

I see their ads on the trains every day, and the posters are pretty at least.

It's really, really debatable if it's currently happening or ever actually happened, but it's a common complaint of the cult members. The Chinese government is never going to be completely transparent about the condition of political dissidents (but we know it's not good from reliable, not cult-related sources; it's not like humanitarian abuses in China is a stretch). There's plenty of objective evidence Falun Gong practitioners have been imprisoned but there's also a lot of evidence some of the claims they make about the Chinese government are ludicrous nonsense.

It's not one of those "well the truth is in the middle," bullshit cop-out things, we literally have no idea what the truth is: both sides are so utterly full of poo poo and front pure propaganda, because one is a totalitarian regime and the other is a cult. You cannot get two more unreliable of narrators.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

goatface posted:

Is it just dancing or do they do stunts and fighting?

they will never reveal the shen yun secret

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

13Pandora13 posted:

It's really, really debatable if it's currently happening or ever actually happened, but it's a common complaint of the cult members. The Chinese government is never going to be completely transparent about the condition of political dissidents (but we know it's not good from reliable, not cult-related sources; it's not like humanitarian abuses in China is a stretch). There's plenty of objective evidence Falun Gong practitioners have been imprisoned but there's also a lot of evidence some of the claims they make about the Chinese government are ludicrous nonsense.

It's not one of those "well the truth is in the middle," bullshit cop-out things, we literally have no idea what the truth is: both sides are so utterly full of poo poo and front pure propaganda, because one is a totalitarian regime and the other is a cult. You cannot get two more unreliable of narrators.

We do know that China has remarkably low organ donation rates and remarkably high organ transplantation rates. They have wait times routinely 1/50th that of Western countries. It probably does mean that organs are being taken somewhere, but it doesn't necessarily mean that Falun Gong organs are being taken

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 26, 2019

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
They got lotsa nonreligious political prisoners forex, and lots of normal murderers and poo poo.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 26, 2019

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

13Pandora13 posted:

it doesn't matter though because the chinese government runs concentration camps so they're bad

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS

Oriental Hugs posted:

What is shen yun.

You must defeat Shen Yun to stand a chance!
ed: gently caress beaten like somebody who didnt defeat Shen Yun!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Julius CSAR posted:

5,000 Years Of History*

*since 1992
The Chinese are very efficient.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
This thread belongs to China.jpeg

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/stepping-into-the-uncanny-unsettling-world-of-shen-yun

quote:

“Was that . . . ?” I said to my brother, wondering if I needed to go to the hospital.

“Karl Marx?” he said. “Yeah, I think that was a tsunami with the face of Karl Marx.”

i'm intrigued.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it better or worse than The Nutcracker?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

Riverdance from China Cuddebackville, New York

YeahTubaMike posted:

What exactly is bad about Shen Yun? I'm not particularly interested in seeing it, but still.

I went and saw it last year and it absolutely sucked balls. They pepper the whole show with creepy falun gong origin stories, weird rear end bible belt style homophobia and dances where the skies turn black and the ground shakes and some falun gong god descends from the sky to smite the CCP and save China.

It was just dancing with almost no acrobatic skill whatsoever. Half the time the dancers would just jump behind a curtain and the actual dance was just some pre-recorded thing projected onto a giant screen at the back of an empty stage.

They market themselves as being some kind of authentic Chinese dance company, then you find out from one of the announcers that they're all just a bunch of upstate new yorkers, and i'm pretty sure a bunch of the people on stage were white dudes.

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 26, 2019

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
It has become apparent that I am completely unawares of Shen Yun and it's apparent relationship to the Falun Gong. I should do some research but ehhhhh

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
my in laws are chinese but they have been here since like I guess the mid 80s so maybe they weren't aware what Shen Yun was so they took my wife and I to one of those shows and then were kinda mad about it afterwards when they realized what it was, lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
OP, I don't know what this is but I hope Yun rhymes with fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does it involve that super shrill “woman imitating a man imitating a woman” Chinese opera singing? Because that is straight up torture.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Since no-one has said it yet:

"Scientology with Chinese characteristics."

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

They started the religion in the 80s

It will exist 5000 years from now. Lol did not know, makes it even better.

It's a must see.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Falun Gong also does The Epoch Times which is some pure strain bullshit

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does it involve that super shrill “woman imitating a man imitating a woman” Chinese opera singing? Because that is straight up torture.

it did, and it was worse than you're imagining

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Falun Gong practitioners in China are imprisoned for the purpose of involuntary organ harvesting

I cannot attest to anything else about them but that is completely true

Think of how hosed up that is

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Falun Gong practitioners in China are imprisoned for the purpose of involuntary organ harvesting

shen yuns still poo poo

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

In retrospect, this is one of those rare times where having a severe drinking problem might actually help.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Shin Chan

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
So all those Chinese restaurants and nail salons with those Shen Yun posters plastered everywhere that I see are practically openly saying “gently caress the CCP”?

Weird culty poo poo aside, I can dig it.

The laundry place I used to go to had the South Vietnam and ARVN flags in the windows. The owner broke out of jail in the north for being openly Methodist, hightailed it south and joined the ARVN, then left for the States when things started getting grim. Come to think of it, he’s probably the happiest person I know, assuming he’s still alive.

I’ve also been to a couple Chinese joints with the ROC(Taiwan) flags in the window, and their food is always a million times better than the others.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think its a combo of taking Shen Yun's money to advertise (likely) and them subtly saying gently caress the CCCP (also likely).

The first one means often people who have way better relationship with the CCCP will have shen yun posters cause hey, restauranting aint a fair business.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Well the contempt for the CCCP only goes back to the sino Soviet split

Hatred for the CPC goes back over 5,000 years :aaaaa:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It definitely stands for the China's Chinese Communist Party and not an embarrassing phone typo.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

that's communism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

failson dong dont even use their chi blasts and reiki superhealing to resist why then? :thunk: