Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thanks to this thread I found out that Plexus is an MLM. My wife's been buying that poo poo for a while now but I had no idea it was an MLM. We had nice talk about it.

She also bought some Doterra poo poo from a friend a few years ago. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the best part of going back to college after a few years was erasing those "Do not erase call this number" things on the whiteboard

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Blackchamber posted:

When I was a younger man I went to a MLM meeting. Basically they advertised 'FREE PIZZA!' and I wanted some free pizza. But before you got the pizza you had to sit through their drat spiel, some website that whenever someone bought something using your code you got a cut that I don't remember, and an hour later they started a 1 on 1 session with people interested in signing up and if you weren't interested you could gtfo. The free pizza was going to be after sign-ups and for the idiots who paid the $200 fee to join.

I didn't get free pizza.

That’s how you know that even those tubes weren’t making much on the scam. They couldn’t afford to give out free pizza just for attendance to their pitch. Even time share companies can offer free poo poo for the people willing to sit through a presentation or two.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Should have said "but I'm diabetic and I need that pizza NOW"

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

precision posted:

Should have said "but I'm diabetic and I need that pizza NOW"

Ok President Trump

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hello Papa Johns give me the Bigly Pepperoni

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I make six figures selling Stella & Dot fashion accessories from the comfort of my goon lair and you could too, PM me for deets

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Avon Lady IRL would be a good username

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

That’s how you know that even those tubes weren’t making much on the scam. They couldn’t afford to give out free pizza just for attendance to their pitch. Even time share companies can offer free poo poo for the people willing to sit through a presentation or two.

If I were so inclined, I could probably have dinner once a week attending funeral plot and cremation seminars.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thanks to this thread I found out that Plexus is an MLM. My wife's been buying that poo poo for a while now but I had no idea it was an MLM. We had nice talk about it.

She also bought some Doterra poo poo from a friend a few years ago. :sigh:

lol

Plexus Compensation Plan Summary chart

Plexus Compensation Plan Full Details

this is what Doobie's wife was referring to in regards to "making Silver"

quote:

Plexus makes no guarantees on income, as such representations may be misleading. Your success depends on your effort, commitment, skill and leadership abilities, and how effectively you exercise those qualities. Please see the Plexus Annual Income Disclosure Statement.

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 12, 2020

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like mlms. once you get to 15 friends you have conquered the planet

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

lol

Plexus Compensation Plan Summary chart

Plexus Compensation Plan Full Details

this is what Doobie's wife was referring to in regards to "making Silver"

I should clarify. She wasn't a seller, she was buying the stuff from a co-worker. I hope her co-worker doesn't get too upset at losing a customer, but gently caress that poo poo.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
My friend got really into Arbonne a few years ago. They somehow seem to make money out of it but we had a bit of a falling out when I said I didn’t want to tell my other friends about it and didn’t appreciate being asked to. :sigh:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Bunch of ladies at my old office got into this poo poo together and they keep hopping from company to company. First they're selling essential oils, then fat burning wraps, then lovely makeup. It's really sad, like seeing people you respect join a dumb cult.

Cycle consists of buying a bunch of garbage, hyping it up on social media, and showing off the $10 gift card you received from the company after buying $2000 worth of product upfront.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Growing up my friend's mom was a cop but always had other side businesses. I remember her having a garage full of Herbalife poo poo at one point. She was a legitimate entrepreneur in most of her endeavors but I think she got taken for a ride and lost money with Herbalife.

She was able to retire early to a nice home outside of Orlando so I guess she dodged that bullet.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Bunch of ladies at my old office got into this poo poo together and they keep hopping from company to company. First they're selling essential oils, then fat burning wraps, then lovely makeup. It's really sad, like seeing people you respect join a dumb cult.

Cycle consists of buying a bunch of garbage, hyping it up on social media, and showing off the $10 gift card you received from the company after buying $2000 worth of product upfront.

A woman at my work did ok doing Scentsy so multiple people jumped on the MLM train. It's sad hearing them calling it their "business" when they're less than a contracted salesperson with 0 company support and no benefits. One started doing Tupperware and jumped up my rear end when I asked if they had anything in glass because I was interested in that and dumb rear end me thinking they had anything that wasn't cheap rear end garbage plastic lol

I bought a Scentsy thing because I had a glass plate that's heated by a tea candle and that stuff lasts forever when you don't buy one of their lovely $40+ heaters

Aug 2, 2000

The craziest one of these I've heard of is LulaRoe. You have to buy capsules full of crappy leggings but you have no idea what you'll receive. The contents are random. It's such an obvious scam I can't believe anyone would buy into it but people do buy boxes of capsules hoping to get something they can actually sell. You could go to a legitimate wholesaler and buy leggings of whatever size and design you wanted but some people can't resist the siren song of bottom quality mystery leggings. It's like loot boxes for middle aged women.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

make the baby smell good and it will live

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I knew a bunch of people who hawked makeup on facebook and part of whatever that scheme was to try and recruit people you sold to into signing up themselves. Like literally undermine your own sales base and generate your own competition. short term benefit with damaging long term repercussions? :capitalism:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is etsy an mlm yet

Seems like there's a market there, lotta dumb rubes

Scott Lame
Jan 8, 2014
They're a tax on stupid people and in a just world they would be illegal. How do their promises not qualify as fraud? Just because 1 in 100 makes some money? See also: timeshares

To answer the question, yes, I've known several people who have gotten involved in them. One friend of a friend has gotten into several. She is chronically unemployed and living off SSI and I think they briefly give her a sense of purpose. Plus she seems to like the products herself and I guess she gets them at a "discount"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
One of those mlm dealios is a customer at the corporation I work at. Like, the corporation behind the mlm buys from the corp I work at. I kind of expected them to be dog poo poo customers because that's how they roll, but they're actually really good. Pay on time, etc etc. Probably it's because our product helps them comply with the law cheaper

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

The_Continental posted:

Growing up my friend's mom was a cop but always had other side businesses. I remember her having a garage full of Herbalife poo poo at one point. She was a legitimate entrepreneur in most of her endeavors but I think she got taken for a ride and lost money with Herbalife.

She was able to retire early to a nice home outside of Orlando so I guess she dodged that bullet.

Cop makes sense. Military, police, church: MLM's thrive in large, tight-knit networks. People who know many of each other and trust each other.

Aug 2, 2000

Scott Lame posted:

How do their promises not qualify as fraud? Just because 1 in 100 makes some money? See also: timeshares
In the US their lobbyists give giant legal bribes to legislators who protect them. Mainland China has banned them entirely but they are very popular in most other parts of Asia and I'm not sure of the case by case breakdown there.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
15-20 ago years a kid from my brother's high school did a cutco presentation at my mom's house. Back then we all knew him as Austin, but now he goes by Xavier Woods in WWE. My mom didn't buy any knives. Too bad, she could now say she bought knives from a pro wrestler. I also DM'd his first (and as far as I know, only) game of D&D.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The craziest one of these I've heard of is LulaRoe. You have to buy capsules full of crappy leggings but you have no idea what you'll receive. The contents are random. It's such an obvious scam I can't believe anyone would buy into it but people do buy boxes of capsules hoping to get something they can actually sell. You could go to a legitimate wholesaler and buy leggings of whatever size and design you wanted but some people can't resist the siren song of bottom quality mystery leggings. It's like loot boxes for middle aged women.

The epic Legging Lootbox....... much like the contents of Gamer Lootbox, I see it all at Goodwill in time.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I got a bunch of Lularoe clothes for Christmas because a seller apparently got out of the business and donated all their stuff to a thrift store. The quality is not good when you pay $40 for a pair of leggings, but I’m pretty sure the thrift store sold them for like $5.

My grandmother sold Avon back in the day but never made much from it. My husband’s grandmother sold Mary Kay and was actually pretty successful at it, like went on all sorts of vacations and got bonuses and stuff from it. Otherwise the only people I’ve known who got roped into MLM poo poo have quietly stopped because Plexus and Young Living and whatever else is a scam.

imandyyo
Mar 19, 2012
I was at someone’s house once where the father sat us down and pitched a phone card mlm. I guess I grew up around more critical thinkers because I wasn’t really familiar with mlms except the Mary Kay and Tupperware type names. I also didn’t know how lovely even those are.

Anyway this was the most awkward conversation and I just kept thinking is this guy seriously thinking I’m going to say holy poo poo sign me up here’s my money. I was listening to a podcast that detailed a phone card mlm scam which I assume was what this guy was doing.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just bought some lularoe ~

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My cousin tried CutCo for a while. He was cleaning some of the knives in bed with isopropyl. Then decided to also play with a lighter. Then he spilled the isopropyl on his legs and ignited them, which landed him in the burn ward. My dad said their story for what happened sounded insane, but he couldn't think of a more logical explanation.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I was 17 and working at my weekend job at the bridal shop when some guy said he liked the cut of my jib and wanted to interview me for a job. He had a suit on and everything! So I went and met him at a Starbucks and he gave me his Primerica pitch. He specifically was talking about boat insurance. I was sipping on a big ole frappe the whole time and I noticed he didn't get anything from the Starbucks and was drinking something outta his stainless steel business thermos.

It was seeming pretty stupid cause I thought "wait I don't know a goddamned thing about insurance, why does this guy want to give me a job? I never said to him I know anything about insurance or finance or have any interest in it" and then at the end the moron goes "someday I'll be able to afford Starbucks all the time!" This idiot was as old as my Dad and in a suit and he couldn't by himself a Starbucks to even impress a potential dupe.

How loving desperate do you have to be to try to start recruiting for insurance MLM a high school girl who failed Algebra three times?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A friend of mine from college spent like five years hawking ItWorks! poo poo on Facebook. The core product was a wrap you'd put around your belly and was guaranteed to make you lose weight. All it did was temporarily remove water from the skin, dry you out and make you lose an inch or two from your waist for a week.

Best part is that the company was run by evangelicals, CEO was named Mark Pentecost. They had an annual cult summit in Florida every year.

I finally convinced my friend that she'd been hemorrhaging money for years.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I get periodic Facebook invites from MLM groups that friends (more like acquaintances I've seen 3 times in my life) make, almost exclusively for fad diets that have incredibly pricey subscription fees.

I almost tried selling Cutco knives when I was 16 one summer but then my parents and I were laughing while we read over the insidious bullshit terms and polices they had.

Lularoe leggings seem really nice for like $15. The patterns are kind of cute and fun. Not the crazy $40 or whatever they charge. Plus Amazon is packed with cheap high quality leggings of much better quality these days, so what's the point?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 12, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've read dealing drugs is basically just a MLM in the sense the low level guys will never earn less than minimum wage and the ducks at the top of the pyramid make all the money. But the dopes keep doing it because 'they're gonna be rich on day'.

At least drug dealers aren't encouraged to get high on their own supply while MLMa need to to horde the product in their garage to make any money.

Leaving that autocorrect in there. loving drug dealing ducks :wotwot:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

I've read dealing drugs is basically just a MLM in the sense the low level guys will never earn less than minimum wage and the ducks at the top of the pyramid make all the money. But the dopes keep doing it because 'they're gonna be rich on day'.

thats just capitalism in general. and yeah, its basically a MLM

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Outrail posted:

At least drug dealers aren't encouraged to get high on their own supply while MLMa need to to horde the product in their garage to make any money.

Leaving that autocorrect in there. loving drug dealing ducks :wotwot:

Im uh “guessing” that the guys at the bottom spend money like water and don’t understand the power of compound returns (continual growth through profit reinvestment) and the guys in the middle/top reinvest their capital, or at least don’t spend down their bankroll on cocaine and door dash and Uber and (list goes on for miles) Some of them just don’t have enough money period, and that sucks.

There’s also a system of credit once you get to a certain level, but generally people either run up a tab and treat it like you would a maxed out credit card, while others use it as leverage to amplify what they make, with very little in-between.

Part of keeping the low level guys moving it is to reinforce their wins and try not to let them keep too much track of their actual time vs profit, so there is some exploitation there, but this is black market capitalism, what did you expect?

If you’re of average intelligence and have social skills you can keep 20%+ (even higher margins at the retail level) of what you sell if you traffic the devils lettuce. It’s the easiest MLM style enterprise to succeed at because there’s actual real demand for it.

A friend told me all of this in confidence pls no snitches

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 12, 2020

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

imandyyo posted:

I was at someone’s house once where the father sat us down and pitched a phone card mlm. I guess I grew up around more critical thinkers because I wasn’t really familiar with mlms except the Mary Kay and Tupperware type names. I also didn’t know how lovely even those are.

Anyway this was the most awkward conversation and I just kept thinking is this guy seriously thinking I’m going to say holy poo poo sign me up here’s my money. I was listening to a podcast that detailed a phone card mlm scam which I assume was what this guy was doing.

I was friends from childhood with a guy who began his MLM obsession with some calling-card scheme. He was pretty infamous in our friend group for that even before we hit high school. That was back in the era when people were still worried about paying per minute for phone service, and there were commercials for poo poo like 10-10-321 with John Lithgow on TV all the time.

Later, in our early 20s, he committed heavily to an MLM called ACN, that sold cell-phone plans for multiple carriers and took a small cut from the monthly fees. (And then of course you get a cut of your underlings' cuts, etc. etc.) The nearest I ever got to understanding it as a legit business plan was, "ok, it's like you're running one of those cell phone kiosks at the mall, but you don't have premises or inventory." How you compete with the carriers' actual stores, I don't know...

Sometime after I stopped talking to this guy, Donald Trump endorsed ACN as an excellent business opportunity! And from that day forward, I guess, it became his top goal in life to meet Donald loving Trump... and lo and behold, he eventually got to shake hands with Trump at an ACN convention. When Trump announced he was running for president, homeboy immediately made that his Facebook profile picture and went full MAGA.

But it didn't stop there. The last I heard of him, and what made me swear I would never speak to this person again, he was pushing OneCoin, a cryptocurrency MLM that was an outright scam with no legitimate business model at all attached: https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-50435014 I don't know if he was successful in roping anybody into that one, but he pivoted pretty quickly to pumping crypto in general, and actually managed to convince a couple of my friends that Bitcoin was the way to go during the late 2017 runup. I'd get Facebook screenshots from friends of the dude posing with people like Vitalik Buterin and a famous local MMA fighter to try to get you to invest in his cryptocoin fund. If I saw him again, I guess I'd have to tell him, "congratulations, old friend, you successfully sold cryptocurrency to somebody who gets punched in the head for a living."

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
I was given a cutco knife a few years back and it’s actually a really well made knife, will I buy a 1200 dollar set? No.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if you have proper sharpening stones you can make any knife razor sharp. cutco is no better than the dollar store special once you have run it over a sharpening stone a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

i had a friendly work acquaintance who kept trying to involve me in some energy drink MLM like 15 years ago, and i decided i didn't like him anymore pretty quickly.

also, same place, different MLM: i used to work at a hotel that one of the MLM outfits would have the pizza parties for, and the fuckers threw like 200 lbs of untaken literature in one of the outside trashcans. a big one, just completely full of paper? guess who got to clean that up. i know that could have been anything or anyone under other circumstances, but that made me think forever that MLMs are bad news from bad people.